A Project in Process

I have ordered some new furniture lately. It’s not like it used to be, where you order furniture and it comes to your door…intact! Now they bring it in heavy boxes, and you have to assemble it yourself! My kitchen table and chairs I had to assemble by hand. I ordered an “entertainment credenza” and the Fed Ex guy couldn’t carry it up the stairs. Together we got it from his truck to the inside of the building, and then he told me, “Good luck! Have a nice day!” He couldn’t get it up the stairs, nor could I, nor could we together. So I had to tear open the box and bring it upstairs piece by piece by piece! It’s ridiculous how heavy this package was. They should have put it in more than one box so that the professional delivery man could deliver the package…safely!

Then I had to separate the hardware so I knew which screw was which, and what part was what. Then I read, “Nails: 46.” Are you kidding me? I have to hammer in 46 nails? That’s not even including the screws I’m going to have to insert.

Have you ever felt like a project was beyond your reach? Did it seem difficult or uncooperative? Well, in Ephesians 2:10 the Bible says, “For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.” Will we look like a beautiful workmanship in the eyes of Jesus? Will we be a project that He is pleased with, one that obeys the commands of the Lord, and is fitly framed together to become a holy temple in the Lord and a habitation of God through the Spirit (Eph. 2:19-22)?

Let’s make sure as we grow in the knowledge and grace of our Lord, that we do as He instructs so that we can be made a glorious masterpiece by the hands of Almighty God. As difficult as the process of maturity and growth may be, it’s wonderful to become something of beauty, and there is pleasure in a job well done, and a goal accomplished.  I know I personally have much growing to do!

Comments

EXPAT Added Jan 26, 2017 - 9:49pm
Dawn.
If you weren't so damn cheap you could have gone to a real furniture store, where  fully assembled furniture is sold, delivered, placed where you say, and guaranteed.
When you go to IKEA, you get what you pay for; pieces of furniture.
Dawn Foss Added Jan 26, 2017 - 10:50pm
Slade, that is so true - in this society, you better learn to do things yourself or as EXPAT noted, you're either going to pay dearly for it, or it won't get done.  I have to say, just about every muscle in my body is hurting from being in strange positions to screw in screws, make it as tight as I could, redo things and do them again if they didn't come out right, lift heavy parts, and unfortunately, there is one thing that just didn't go together right, so it's not lined up the way I wish it were.  But it gives me such a sense of accomplishment to have made these things myself, and to feel the pride of a job well done, a goal accomplished.

More people need to do that, and if something doesn't come out right, take the time to redo it so it is the best it can be.  I was glad I did that with my table with the leaves.  I had the wooden things under the table upside down, so the side with the hole in it that made it easier to pull them out to hold the leaves up was not available.  I took the thing apart to fix that, and I'm so glad I did because now it's correct and easier to use.
Dawn Foss Added Jan 27, 2017 - 1:38am
Oh my!  I reread it, and I can see where a hidden interpretation could be thought, but I promise it was a totally innocent post!  LOL!
Mircea Negres Added Jan 27, 2017 - 2:09am
If assembling furniture is such a complicated pain, just imagine what the Big Guy went through when putting Creation together. For my part, I seriously doubt Yeshua and the Almighty are all that impressed with me, but if I'm not pleasing anybody, then I might as well please myself... ;-)
Neelon Crawford Added Jan 27, 2017 - 11:30am
I’m pretty sure assembling furniture from a box wasn’t an example of “workmanship” as referenced in the bible.  That’s an example of trade with China.  The reason we all assemble our own furniture is because we’re too cheap to pay for quality workmanship.
Jeffry Gilbert Added Jan 27, 2017 - 12:36pm
I have to chuckle about this furniture assembly story. All the exhortations of living in the bestest, wonderfullest, greatest, blah, blah, country in the whole big wide world ever ever ever yet you can't get something as mundane as furniture ready to use and enjoy? Really?

Even here in what DUHmericans reckon is a third world country
if I order something its custom made to my specs for less than you can buy out of a show room, half a dozen guys deliver and place it all for no extra charge.

A friend furnishes all his rentals from the local IKEA who deliver, assemble, place and remove all packaging for $15 per item.

Man, ain't THAT livin'!

Dawn Foss Added Jan 27, 2017 - 1:05pm
Mircea, we are a work in progress!  I know I am.  I want to be an easy project without all kinds of complications, but you know how life is.  Just like a carpenter's project of sanding and cutting and fastening, so we often need our rough edges sanded, which hurts at the moment, but then later we find we have matured and grown in beauty and grace.  I had a part that didn't come together as well as it should, so I colored the wood in with brown marker, and it made it not so noticeable.  I made it to be the best it could be, and that's how I know the Lord is working with me, a sinful, imperfect being, but loved by Him just the same.
Dawn Foss Added Jan 27, 2017 - 1:07pm
Neelon - you're right!  I am cheap!  But it's a beautiful piece of furniture now, and something I'm proud of because I did it myself, and made sure it was done well, with a couple little imperfections.  One was I think because the part didn't fit right, the other was because I put the backing on upside down so something didn't line up right; I should have read the directions more carefully.  But I learned from my mistakes!  I have 4 more pieces of furniture to put together this weekend!
Dawn Foss Added Jan 27, 2017 - 1:11pm
Jeffry, I'm so happy for you!  I could have afforded it, but didn't want to.  I am capable.  I bought from Walmart.com.  I bought an electric fireplace from Lowes, and I was expecting to have to put it together, because they forewarned me, but would have cost $20 for them to do it so I said I would do it myself.  Well, it came preassembled!  All I had to do was take it out of the box and plug it in.  I'm really enjoying that, and yes - that's really living! :D  But so is rolling up my sleeves and doing some hard work by the sweat of my brow.  GIRL POWER! LOL!
Leroy Added Jan 28, 2017 - 8:55am
You're lucky, Dawn.  Most delivery services are only obliged to drop off the shipment at the curb, and sometimes they do literally drop it off the truck.  That is why one person can deliver.  I've only been successful in having them put it in the garage or bringing it to the front door.  My wife can have them bring it inside and unpack it.  If she really tried, I am sure they would assemble it for her.

I buy online not because I am cheap but because I don't trust furniture salesmen and there is a better selection online.  Online, you get a full description to which you can hold the retailer.  In the store, you depend on what the salesman tells you.  For example, I went to one store looking for a leather sofa set.  Some were described as full grain leather.  We came across one that looked like what we wanted but didn't say what kind of leather it was.  It was priced as full grain leather, but I knew it wasn't.  So I asked the salesman.  He swore it was full grain leather.  I left.  When I ordered my sofa set, according to the dimensions, I was unsure I was going to be able to get it through the door is was so big.  If it came from a store already assembled, I don't think it would have fit.  We have a beautiful kitchen table.  I never saw anything like it in the stores.  It was a royal pain to assemble, but it looks great.

I admire you, Dawn, for taking on the task of assembling things.  Most women (even feminist) would have looked for the nearest male.  Go Girl Power!
Dawn Foss Added Jan 28, 2017 - 12:25pm
Thanks, Leroy!  Necessity brings out great strength in a woman.  Women will get things done when they have to be done.  We can sometimes rely too heavily on the men in our lives, but it's a nice thing to have that!  This is a great exercise in defeating laziness for me, tho.

I live in an apartment now, so bringing it to my door is technically bringing it upstairs.  But there was just no way possible.  I agree with you, tho - you can't trust salesmen, and the furniture I've bought is really nice.  There have been a couple damaged pieces and I don't have the patience to go through the hassle of an exchange, but I think in the end it will be fine.  I've seen furniture bought from stores all assembled come damaged, too.
Mike Haluska Added Jan 28, 2017 - 12:42pm
Dawn - I admire your initiative!  You can do what I do to gain insights on mastering skills - check out "How To" Youtube videos.  I purchased a used treadmill from a garage sale.  It was working perfectly then just stopped functioning completely.  I looked at the tag on the machine, located the manufacturer/model number and typed "User Manual for ABC Model XYZ" into Google and sure as hell I found it and fixed the problem (hidden restart switch).
Dawn Foss Added Jan 28, 2017 - 4:06pm
Mike, thanks for the tip!  I'll have to take advantage of those great resources.

Slade, that's awesome about your mom!  I hope to be more like that.
MJ Added Jan 29, 2017 - 3:28am
Dawn, I specially saved your article for when I had time to enjoy it and I thoroughly did!
I like the analogy to us as the workmanship of Christ---enjoy your furniture and have a great 2017, knowing you are secure in the Master Craftmanship`s love!
Dawn Foss Added Jan 29, 2017 - 8:57am
Thanks, MJ!  That means a lot to me!  I just started a Facebook page called "Loved by God."  I'm hoping to start conversations in which we women can encourage and strengthen each other when we've been through hard times, and feel and understand the love of God toward us.  It's hard to feel that sometimes when in the midst of a thick trial in life.  It's even amazing how wonderful it is to hear the words "know you're loved" from friends.  Strange, but makes sense because one of our most basic human needs is love.

Slade, I'm newly separated from an abusive, unhappy relationship.  It's a little scary and invigorating all at the same time, free (in a way) but still going down a new road alone.  I'm hoping that with time my husband and I will both be healed and can reunite, but it will be only by the workings of the Master Craftsman, and the willingness of us both.  We've been separated in the past but was different as I had our two kids.  Nothing improved in 10 yrs., and was only getting progressively worse and I wasn't feeling safe.  My learning point and goal is to be able to stand up for myself and now allow people to mistreat me without losing my femininity or servant's heart, which I cherish and like about myself.  I have good people around me and great resources.  So once I can finally get all this furniture built (I still have two more pieces to do!), I can feel settled and start to rebuild myself.  My right hand keeps getting numb from all the turning of the screwdriver I've done over the past few days! LOL!  And I finally had to stop last night because my body was so sore.  I'm not used to this, but am glad I'm doing it. I think this is lesson #1: doing the hard things and reaching those goals.
Dawn Foss Added Jan 29, 2017 - 3:56pm
Slade, I'm so sorry to hear that.  Yes, infidelity makes it really hard to overcome, and children do complicate things.  My kids are grown now and have seen how things have been for so many years, so while this whole thing makes them sad, I think they are relieved, too, because hopefully now there can be healing, and hopefully happiness, whichever way this turns out. Fortunately, infidelity, drugs, and alcohol are not in the picture, which would really complicate things.
MJ Added Jan 29, 2017 - 4:00pm
Dawn, I think someone forgot to tell you that you can buy cordless screwdrivers! haha--suppose it is too late now!
Dawn Foss Added Jan 29, 2017 - 4:03pm
LOL!  I actually did buy one with all the attachments, which really helped with putting up the hardware for all my curtains.  And I've used it where I could with the furniture building, but some of them recommend not using power tools, and I did do a little damage with one.  But yes - I thought of that after putting together the table and chairs, so I went out and bought one!
Doug Plumb Added Jan 29, 2017 - 4:56pm
You can have your own furniture built for about the same price as good box-store furniture. It will stay together AND you don't have to put it together AND it employs local people instead of distant slaves.
Dawn Foss Added Jan 29, 2017 - 10:07pm
Good points, Doug!  However, I must say that an advantage to me doing it is I know exactly how it was put together so if I have a problem, I should be able to diagnose the problem and fix it myself.
Marsac Added Feb 16, 2017 - 12:48am
Hi Dawn, you gave me a good laugh. It just so happens I do handy man work & have been in your position many times. Six of these, 40 of those. Every time someone hires me to assemble something, I can't believe it can get any more complicated but it does. Many times parts are missing & it's down to the hardware store. Last week, I had to come home & cut up some lumbar to make supports. I will say, no one has ever questioned me as to the time I spent assembling their item. The hardest part of any assemble job is no cuss words in a customers home!!
Dawn Foss Added Feb 16, 2017 - 11:25am
LOL!  That's hilarious!  Yes, I had instances in which I was half way done only to find out something was not right, even with a glass lamp I had to put together.  The hassle of returning is not always worth it.  I had an item that was too heavy to return, and who is going to undo all the work they already put together, but the particle board on the front side, yes - the front side - was all dug up.  I used the little brown sticker dots to cover it up, and some brown marker, and I don't even notice it!  Necessity is the mother of invention, right? We get quite creative when we have to be, which is a good thing.
Paul Robbins Added Jul 19, 2017 - 12:38am
Dawn,
Your happiness, vibrant spirit, and wonderful analogies, show Gods' Grace at work within you.  God is shining through you.
Dawn Foss Added Jul 20, 2017 - 12:20am
Aww...thanks so much! That is the best compliment I could ever get! I really appreciate that. :)
wsucram15 Added Jul 20, 2017 - 11:48pm
Well, I ordered furniture last year.  Things have changed quite a bit.
The tiny sectional didnt fit in my BF house the way his foyer turns at a 90 degree angle so they had to take the chaise part of the sectional apart and rebuild it in the LR for a large fee of course, even though I measured all of this at the store and spoke to the delivery manager.

The Entertainment center I bought is wood, so when it came, it was two boxes and one weighed about 50lbs and the other a little over 120lbs.   The reason I know this is the assembled piece is 170+ lbs.
I needed one that big, I have dogs and my BFs TV is large.  So they left it on the porch. I cant lift that.  So my BF brought it in.  Never again.  We spent two days on that thing.

Theres a bunch of other stuff, but it wasnt as problematic.
Good luck with your new furniture and I hope you enjoy it!

Dawn Foss Added Jul 21, 2017 - 1:07am
I hear you! My father is moving, and I got him some new furniture, but this time bought from a furniture store. However, they were going to charge me $349.99 for a small end table, so I took that off the order and will probably get that from Walmart, and I'll assemble it. I got a nice one for I think $64.99. It works well and looks nice!

Thanks for the well wishes!

Recent Articles by Writers Dawn Foss follows.