A THANKS TO WRITERBEAT

Hmmm. Just got news from Autumn that I'm quite high up in the WB ranking. That's nice. I'm sitting here in front of the keyboard, type the hell out of my hands, have a cigarette burning away and a can of beer beside me. And I'm feeling honored. Why ? It's only a website. But a different one.

I think of when I started here almost 3 years ago. I can't remember exactly how I came here, but I did. First I thought, well, ok. This is an English-speaking site, mainly Americans, how will that work ? I thought I wouldn't be noticed really, but, hey, I was wrong. I noticed that the bulk of articles dealt with US issues, quite normal because it's a US site, so .... might get some other color in it.

And since my views of the US are not always....erm.....favorable concerning US foreign policy I thought I might give it a go and unnerve some of the "land of freedom and democracy hailers" ;-)

I thought as a Swiss I could handle that, because we're almost neutral....and I heard that banks-and-chocolate stuff all my life so it goes in one ear and quits out the other. I started to notice I was repeating myself quite often - my POV stays, but the audience changes. Not really something to make a mark, is it ? Like preaching in a church to an ever changing herd of sheep. No deep down it goes.

But to my surprise - I made friends here, some of them I met and some of them I'm still in contact with. Something that would never happen on FB or LI, because there's no room to get to know people (as far as this is possible on the net, anyway) really.

But I did and still do profit a lot. When I started, my English was ok, even quite good, but it improved A LOT since then, thanks to you guys. I will certainly profit from that when we'll have our first anglophone client. In case he asks me where I got my English from, I'll say from my travels and from WB.

WB ?

WriterBeat :-)

So - whatever you think about this site - you won't find a better one in the niche of free talk and POV exchange which allows more than 160 or 500 characters (as in LI) in comments. And that fact should be valued a lot, Because of this we know each other so well - or we think at least. You'll never know your wife or husband to a 100%, and here you might get to about 50%....

Thanks Autumn - and thanks to you guys. And maybe the one or the other might meet in person. This would be the ultimate success for a SOCIAL website.

Comments

Tom C. Purcell Added Feb 10, 2017 - 2:03pm
Stone, you're an invaluable asset to WB.  You inject energy and give lifeblood and hope to the site and its contributors.  You bring levity, and that's something Americans really need nowadays.  And for that, thank you.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 10, 2017 - 2:10pm
Tom

Thank you. Had to google "levity" :-) That's what I mean ;-)

BTW: The art is to have contrary views and still be friends. That's something one can learn on this site given he's ready for it..

Which does NOT mean that we disagree on everything LOL
Donna Added Feb 10, 2017 - 2:10pm
Stone,always been one of my Favorites here..You bring an outside perspective i welcome..and you are fun..)0(
George N Romey Added Feb 10, 2017 - 2:15pm
Stone you do a great job here and yes WB is very much American centric.  You are not afraid to defend others, you wrote an article defending me.  Its nice to see how Europeans see the way in which the US is destroying itself within.
Tom C. Purcell Added Feb 10, 2017 - 2:20pm
George,

"Its nice to see how Europeans see the way in which the US is destroying itself within."

Uh, nice?  I think I know what you mean but in the literal sense, it is sad that someone from overseas seeing our destruction, feels refreshing to the American.  Exposing such feelings illustrates the lowly state of this ununited union.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 10, 2017 - 2:21pm
Donna

Goes right back to you )0( :-)
MJ Added Feb 10, 2017 - 2:26pm
Stone, I agree with you WB is great.     I am NEVER late for an appointment and WB helps me to relax when I have to wait on others....my therapy against boredom and impatience.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 10, 2017 - 2:30pm
George

I always try to see things from the OUTSIDE. This way I can judge the US pretty objectively. On the other hand Americans can judge us the same way. The task is to get each point across to the other so he understands it (without having been there), despite cultural and historic differences.

In fact the differences are small, because human is human. The problem is the propaganda and the indoctrination which happens everywhere and only suits what I call the "enemy industry"..

BTW: I always liked your POV and why shouldn't I defend it ? We're all judging subjectively in the end. Only normal. But that shouldn't keep us from talking to the ones we don't agree.

Because I made the experience that in EVERYONE I don't agree in general I find things that I can agree on or at least think about.

No POV is truly objective, can't be. And you won't find a more objective view for yourself by only talking to people which agree with you.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 10, 2017 - 2:39pm
MJ

This ain't no therapy, dammit LOL
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 10, 2017 - 2:42pm
Tom

Plainly said, I think it has to do with your media coverage and the domination of the big 6, in whichever hands they might be now.

BTW: Der Spiegel, a formerly renowned political magazine, is not also on the same trip. Bash one, hail the other. No OBJECTIVITY around, only corpo-interest masked as politics.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 10, 2017 - 2:43pm
...is NOW also on the same trip, sorry. Der Spiegel also belongs to one of those neoliberal conglomerates.
Dino Manalis Added Feb 10, 2017 - 3:09pm
Congratulations Stone-Eater!
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 10, 2017 - 3:12pm
Dino

Thanks. You're one of the reflected ones here. I just wish that you'd write an article once more. You got much to say, why keeping it back ?
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 10, 2017 - 3:29pm
Slade

How dare you to disagree ;-) WTF is "trippy" ? Well, I'm on a trip, that's true. The trip of life ;-)
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 10, 2017 - 3:32pm
BTW:

;-) And that's the way.

Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 10, 2017 - 3:51pm
Slade

Not quite measurable when I'm the only one but be assured that I'm about the strangest Swiss you'll ever talk to. Heart is African, Skin is White and the rest is a mixup of whatever I've experienced.

Swiss people are stubborn, don't trust anybody, refuse what we call "progress" (my birth house still stands after 59 years and it was there before) and don't take ANY risk.

that's why it's so fucking hard to find business partners here LOL

But one positive thing: When you have a Swiss friend you have it for life. And that's no joke.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 10, 2017 - 3:55pm
BTW: Means we take a long time to figure out people. We're not a "Hi, I love you" people. We wait and see. But once we trust someone and like him, it lasts. We're a slow people, but slowness doesn't mean being stupid LOL
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 10, 2017 - 4:01pm
I like HELL. It's more like we are :-) And concerning the lovers: Love depends on two people. I personally am not into obese bitches or wanna be models with an IQ of 75. No wonder the pecker don't peck :-)
Wendy Bugliari Added Feb 10, 2017 - 5:25pm
@SEF,
("The problem is the propaganda and the indoctrination which happens everywhere and only suits what I call the "enemy industry"..)

That is the root problem where ever you look worldwide. If propaganda is method of madness then division, submission or war occurs. Just as terrorism can be domestic so can War. Being at war with fellow Americans is NOT something favorable to me personally BUT all my life I have been siding with which ever is underdog.

Sometimes I wont even agree with a person being attacked BUT when unfair advantage takes place by hoards of attackers then I must defend the one disadvantaged due to sheer numbers.
Other than that I have only fought you on a few issues in defense of American exposure to Propaganda by administrations like Bush using PR firm to persuade anti war majority that Iraq was harmful enemy of OWN people.
~The Bug~
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 10, 2017 - 5:39pm
Buggie

all my life I have been siding with which ever is underdog.

Same here. And I found the "underdogs" in Africa. The Swiss underdogs in comparison live in paradise. Sick ? Hospital free. In Africa. Sick ? Hospital. No have pay ? Die.
Wendy Bugliari Added Feb 10, 2017 - 6:20pm
@SEF,

The truly hungry here in America usually have options with exception those off the grid where nobody is around to get them to free meals.
The medical care is attached to strings as in Medicaid/Medicare paid for by receivers will be overcharged and then they get great hospital care if right hospital available.
ACA was a change in right direction but needed fixing from what I reasoned as My husbands benefits through HMO are for life  via Union so nothing changed for me. We need travel back to New York but almost never pay a dime out of pocket AND are allowed providers out of network since some services they removed. Unions provide advantages of Socialist comparison although many cover Corporate employers. Benefits of Union made life better for many laborers in USA BUT as you can read are being removed by Trump even though he lies.
Sick NOW will have NOTHING after repeal ACA with NO substitute so will see how that hits HIS fan club soon enough!

Again underdog in America probably has it better than those in Africa under strange regimes changing one day to next. One day forces are Government killing Christian village and next Muslim group returning favor from all sources given air here in USA. Watched a documentary natured film which showed same crazy in Africa but how true to life it is remains mystery for ME who never visited let alone lived there.
Cheers,
Buggie
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 10, 2017 - 6:30pm
Buggie

Again underdog in America probably has it better than those in Africa

Nope Know why ? There's solidarity among the poor because almost everybody is poor. There is always a free mean from someone to someone. You don't feel ALONE in your misery.

In the family of my wife, every evening a plate of food is put aside for a hungry foreigner or friend who happens to arrive. When nobody comes, we share it amongst the kids. It's a tradition.

And it's....a Muslim tradition....
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 10, 2017 - 6:34pm
A poor man in Western culture feels a lot more lonely than in Asia, Africa or South America. Comfort and good job are helpful, but they also propel selfishness...
Wendy Bugliari Added Feb 10, 2017 - 6:58pm
@SEF,
It is also tradition for MANY in America to GIVE excess BUT majority with the MOST to give, only have most because they do not practice what you are speaking of with wife and children.
It takes a village is BEST expression for helping each other both good and bad times. One has food to share, other can care for children while workers attend to what they do best.
It all comes full circle when supply chain is strong in communal presence. Shutting OUT neighbors for fear of being taken is a paranoia belonging to the selfish being who knows they are greedy.
Cant speak for all but experienced the MANY as well my Career on Wall Street which I exited 1989, just before ethics were replaced by Sharks eating guppies !
~Buggie~
Stephen Hunter Added Feb 10, 2017 - 7:20pm
Congratulations Stone, well deserved accolades!
Cuckoo o'clock Added Feb 10, 2017 - 7:34pm
Stone,
Off-topic, but is it true that whenever Roger Federer wins a Grand Slam, the Swiss media cover him excessively, and you can't stop hearing about his win for some time?
William Stockton Added Feb 10, 2017 - 9:02pm
Writerbeat made me a better writer which was my original goal (have a novel in the works).
This is probably not saying much, but I have all the constructive feedback to appreciate for what little gains I have made.  But they are gains for sure!
Jenifer Frost Added Feb 11, 2017 - 1:04am
Congrats Stone-Eater, I know people from Australia, Brazil, Japan, Egypt, Russia, Ukraine, and now Switzerland. So you're not a banker or a watchmaker? I'm shocked. But the thing about you all eat chocolate all the time has got to be true, right? Don't dispel all my illusions.
Mircea Negres Added Feb 11, 2017 - 1:12am
People learn when they're allowed in and earn their peers' acceptance, thus enriching themselves and their community. I'd say Writer Beat is no exception so long as it maintains its status as a wild garden of ideas, and your perspective is as varied as it is refreshing. Knowledge is out there, but it must be questioned if we are ever to become wise, something that's impossible on FB and LI, whereas here we can look at anything from any angle, ask any question and fight any fight. Keep reading, thinking, asking, answering and writing Stone-Eater, many thanks for sticking around.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 11, 2017 - 5:45am
Stephen

Thanks !
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 11, 2017 - 5:46am
Cuckoo

True. Federer Federer Federer everywhere. After some years it gets boring LOL
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 11, 2017 - 5:47am
William

I envy you for writing a book. I'd never have the patience for that....
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 11, 2017 - 5:50am
Jenifer

LOL

Tell you what: I don't like cheese and chocolate and I hate the mountains and cold weather therefore I don't ski. I don't yodel as well.

I love sea food, the sea in general, tropical fruit, sun, happy people and an easy going social lifestyle as it exists in Southern Europe, Africa or South America.

I've been born in absolutely the WRONG place LOL
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 11, 2017 - 5:52am
Mircea

I give it back to you. It was and is always a pleasure to read you and discuss with you, since you're one of the most balanced writers here in my view !
Stephen Hunter Added Feb 11, 2017 - 10:58am
Federer is the best tennis player of all time and the fact that he is winning again at this age is incredible.
I am big ass into tennis, so I guess it does not bore me. (although I prefer the flashier Nadal, and of course keep cheering and hoping that Canadian Milosh Raonic will break through- he is ranked at # 3 now)
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 11, 2017 - 12:47pm
Stephen

Federer is undoubtedly the best - but he's.....boring.
mark henry smith Added Feb 11, 2017 - 12:52pm
Stone, look at how much you are loved from all sides of the spectrum. Remember all the name calling that drove our friend Tony away from here? The beach? What an interesting trip this has been. All of the names that have come and gone, and we fight on because I have to believe it's because we like a good fight, because we are Swiss and delight in that knowledge, a rare breed indeed.

And I have learned in my swim through dark waters, that this society too holds outposts of sanity and kindness where a tired swimmer is welcomed to rest. They are called libraries and McDonalds, an odd combination I guess, but both have a similar mission, to make all welcome, to let all eat cheaply, even if the nourishment of one is much superior to the other.

Good on ya'!
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 11, 2017 - 1:10pm
Marko

I know. But maybe Tony made the right decision for himself. He's pretty busy at this time :-)
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 11, 2017 - 2:28pm
Ryan came out of nowhere and returned into nowhere...
Billy Roper Added Feb 11, 2017 - 6:11pm
What I like best about Writer Beat is its uncensored aspect. I was so pleased to discover that fact about it that I have made sure never to delete any post made by anyone else, or myself, either, as a point of honor, here. I have also learned a lot about different perspectives, and the different degrees and expressions of mental illness.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 11, 2017 - 6:53pm
Billy

.....LOL (your last remark)

Mark Hunter Added Feb 12, 2017 - 3:13am
By now, your English is probably better than half of us in America speak!
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 12, 2017 - 6:21am
Mark

Hey, thanks for that ! Always eager to learn :)

mark henry smith Added Feb 13, 2017 - 3:51pm

What I've learned about mental illness is that it's good to hold a mirror up once in a while while shaving.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 14, 2017 - 4:46pm
Marko

Looking at yourself is not seeing yourself ;-)
Shane Dean Added Feb 15, 2017 - 4:14pm
Just wanted to drop in and say how much I appreciate your fairly level headed way of looking at things.  I may not agree with everything you say, but you usually come from a very well thought premise, and you keep me thinking as well.  I am very glad I got to virtually meet you through this site.  It has been an education and a pleasure.  Perhaps in the future we can philosophize face to face!  God bless.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 15, 2017 - 4:38pm
Shane

That would be nice ! My house is open whether I'm in Senegal or Cameroon. You'll have a bed and a good time, I assure you :-)

BTW: Just drop me a note. As you know, I'm on LI and other networks as well LOL
Robert Potter Added Feb 15, 2017 - 9:01pm
I am very new to this site. That being said, it is nice to meet you. I've read some of your work. It's quite good.

=D
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 16, 2017 - 8:43am
Thanks Robert !

wsucram15 Added Feb 16, 2017 - 2:41pm
SEF..its always good to read what you wrote even after all this time.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 16, 2017 - 2:50pm
Jeanne

I'm honored...I miss your music stories :-(
wsucram15 Added Feb 16, 2017 - 6:59pm
Aww shucks!
Well before you leave why dont you write one..you write better ones than I do.  I hate writing on here anymore.  I come here to talk to you and one or two others..not much else.

Let me test your brain though...
This song has a horrific history because it was about another mans wife, "Layla" by Derek and the Dominoes...
but w/o looking who wrote the opening riff?  This is a hard one..
At the Rainbow Theatre in London..who was the first band to open there in 1971?  They are really famous..
Who sings the opening line to USA for Africa’s hit We Are the World?
MJ, Lionel Ritchie, Stevie Wonder, Paul Simon.    Just guess.

Name the drummer for the monkees?  yeah...

Whos backing band were the Comets? easy one

Name the original bassist for Metallica..no peeking.  This is super easy if you like the band.  How about the name of the original guitarist?

What band does Kerry King play in?

HARD ONE- Do NOT look this up- Who is the boy on the cover of Diary of a Madman? You know the album by Ozzy ..lol. Remember that was 1981.

What does GWAR stand for? hint if you look it up- There are four meanings, see if you know the correct one. LOL.  It really does depend on if and when you saw them.

Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 17, 2017 - 10:18am
Jeanne...Stevie Wonder ? Can't reply on any of them really cos either they're not my taste, I was too young....you know, ask me about song names or bands that's ok. But not about events or band members' names. I'd have to google them all LOL

wsucram15 Added Feb 17, 2017 - 11:20am
Come on..you wanted music.  No the first singer was Lionel Ritchie for like 5 words.
you were not too old for these things...Ozzy?Metallica? Here are the answers:
Duane Allman (it was Eric Claptons Band and song written about Harrisions wife)
The Who
Lionel Ritchie
Mikey Dolenz
Bill Hailey
Cliff Burton
Dave Mustaine
Slayer
Ozzys son Louis from his first marriage.
There is no real meaning given, although in a pinch the band members give out alternative meanings
wsucram15 Added Feb 17, 2017 - 11:28am
On GWAR, I only asked that because they never gave a metting really, Ive asked them myself and it had something to do with God what a racket.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 20, 2017 - 6:46am
Jeanne

That's what I say: I was never into the hard rock thing ;-) And certainly not into stuff like Lionel Richie LOL You see I was more into UK acts at the time....but Bill Haley....should have known that !
Jeff Michka Added Feb 20, 2017 - 10:05am
Well Autumn has again annointed someone as "#1," and it will be interesting to see if SEFa's ego explodes over it, like Ryan and "The Plagarist" as"best writer" on WB.  Good luck, (no Ryan, not "God luck.") SEFa.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 20, 2017 - 11:13am
Jeff

Don't worry. We Swiss have not the reputation of thinking that we're god's own people or that we are the promoters of freedom.

Recent Articles by Writers Stone-Eater Friedli follows.