IT'S COLD OUTSIDE

hearts being cold
Was it quite different
or am I gettin' old ?

It's cold outside
people do stare
in unknown directions
Not that they don't care

It's cold outside
they don't realize
that life can be different
gotta pay a prize

It's cold outside
but can be warm
on your inside
hear the alarm

It's warmer outside
depends on you
forget your false pride
let feelings come through

It's hot outside
and inside it's too
because you have learned
life's not only YOU.

Just had that idea when waiting for the bus in -2° Celsius here in Switzerland. We have to learn to isolate the cold climate from our inner well-being.

We have to. Should. I can't ;-)

Comments

Tom C. Purcell Added Feb 13, 2017 - 12:10pm
"Life is not only you"

I like it.
Stone-Eater Friedli afronum Added Feb 13, 2017 - 12:12pm
Tom

Thanks. I thought I'd have to put in something a bit different. Even though I know that poems are no favorite here LOL
MJ Added Feb 13, 2017 - 12:14pm
Stone, it is so true it doesn`t have to be cold inside us when it is cold outside---I can see you are good with self-motivation!
Dare I tell you from a warm, sunny South Africa that my heart bleeds for you? ☺☺
Tom C. Purcell Added Feb 13, 2017 - 12:17pm
It's a nice change and takes a certain frame of mind to think and write poetically.  The phrase, "life is not only you" is simple and profound.  Simple because these 5 words speak volumes.  Profound, because more Americans ought to embrace this philosophy.  Sadly, too many see the world as, "life is only me".
EXPAT Added Feb 13, 2017 - 12:18pm
The Swiss I've met have all been cold
They warm slowly I've been told
I've never met your only YOU guy
We all need love, some have to buy

Life is different if you make it so
Get off your ass and out of the snow
Most of the world is hot, not cold
But to find real life you must be bold

Tom C. Purcell Added Feb 13, 2017 - 12:24pm
"But to find real life you must be bold."

Expat, I almost agree only I would change the world "bold" to "brave".  But it wouldn't rhyme.
Tom C. Purcell Added Feb 13, 2017 - 12:25pm
MJ,  LOL!
Stone-Eater Friedli afronum Added Feb 13, 2017 - 12:29pm
MJ

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :-) But soon I will transport my inner sunshine to Senegal and burn to death there LOL
EXPAT Added Feb 13, 2017 - 12:31pm
Making life rhyme Tom is what I seek
My kind of life requires cheek
Break the bonds and boldly go where
No man has gone before
Live life before you're dead and reek
Stone-Eater Friedli afronum Added Feb 13, 2017 - 12:32pm
Hey Expat

Cool one !! And - true also. Swiss people are cold and distanced for a long time when meeting strangers. And when they realize that someone could have become a good friend the one has already left because no sign was made.....
Stone-Eater Friedli afronum Added Feb 13, 2017 - 12:35pm
Tom

I like climaxes. In poems, in music, everywhere. The END must always be the kick. I know musicians who wrote songs and STARTED with a climax, then flattened out. It's like PR. Everything is PR nowadays. You can sell the most useless trash when you have good PR and can create a NAME....
Tom C. Purcell Added Feb 13, 2017 - 12:43pm
I'm not much of a poet.  I don't expose myself to enough poetry or fantasy.  So I feel like a stiff trying to dance when I write poetry.  There are some good poets on WB, including Stone and Expat.  Mark H. Smith has some poetic prowess but I've yet to like the subject of one of his poems.  He and y'all are certainly more talented than I when it comes to poetry!
Stone-Eater Friedli afronum Added Feb 13, 2017 - 12:48pm
Tom

A matter of trying. Every art is 90% work and 10% talent ;-)
EXPAT Added Feb 13, 2017 - 1:03pm
I'm a poet and I know it.
My feet show it
They're Long Fellows
Chuckle Chuckle
Stone-Eater Friedli afronum Added Feb 13, 2017 - 1:35pm
I'm not a romantic I am an ass
every lady I ask for a pass
I'm not a poet I do only show
how clever I am, no need to grow

Cos people believe me all that I say
I created an image to show I'm ok
Deep down I'm a monster ready to fight
kill all those pretenders like me, quite alright
;-)
Tom C. Purcell Added Feb 13, 2017 - 1:39pm
Hey now, there is rhyming...then there is poetry.  They're not one in the same!
Stone-Eater Friedli afronum Added Feb 13, 2017 - 1:45pm
Tom

May you be so kind to explain what that latest comment does mean ? I only understand station. (This is a German saying for not knowing what someone means = Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof).

Whenever a German asks you something, say that: Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

He'll leave his mouth open for half an hour, I assure you.
Stone-Eater Friedli afronum Added Feb 13, 2017 - 1:49pm
BTW: I don't know the rules of rhyming and stuff. I just check that it has a rhythmic sound to it (the length) and that it rhymes on the second two or the first and third or second and fourth. Amateur stuff, like playing a blues on C, F and G and nothing else. Kiddie stuff LOL
Tom C. Purcell Added Feb 13, 2017 - 1:54pm
I can rhyme okay...

Men with hollow souls
Enviers of Zen
Existing without purpose
Truth escapes these men
Tom C. Purcell Added Feb 13, 2017 - 1:56pm
But poetry comprises epochs of greater scope.  Mother Goose dealt in rhymes and Edgar Allen Poe dealt in poetry.
Stone-Eater Friedli afronum Added Feb 13, 2017 - 1:58pm
Ah....you know more than me, then ! I'm no good in literature and classics. Maybe because I live now and not then LOL
Stone-Eater Friedli afronum Added Feb 13, 2017 - 2:00pm
BTW

Men with hollow souls
Enviers of Zen
Existing without purpose
Truth escapes these men

That's what I mean :-)
Stone-Eater Friedli afronum Added Feb 13, 2017 - 2:02pm
Men without religion
dive into profanity
But isn't that just normal
behavior of humanity ?

LOL
Tom C. Purcell Added Feb 13, 2017 - 2:02pm
Oh I know and a good poem does have rhythm!  Just like a good song.  Not every song rhymes, right?  Maybe most of them do, and most good poems rhyme, or have rhythm at least.  :)
Tom C. Purcell Added Feb 13, 2017 - 2:04pm
See you can churn them out much quicker.  I don't have that ability.  I stop and start again until it's just right.  It might take me days or weeks to write a decent poem, and it would be work to find fluidity and be poetic, for me anyway.
Stone-Eater Friedli afronum Added Feb 13, 2017 - 2:05pm
Well, take Bob Dylan - he didn't need to rhyme. But I kind of like it because you can say a lot with less words and get to the point more easily than when you write a litany of words.

Remember: Today's attention span ;-)
Tom C. Purcell Added Feb 13, 2017 - 2:06pm
Yup.  There is too much going on at too fast a pace for today's American and in most of western civilization.  It's hard to pay attention to much and that's why Twitter is so successful.
Stone-Eater Friedli afronum Added Feb 13, 2017 - 2:11pm
That will stop. There is a 100% chance that digital networks will break down one day by war, a sun storm or whatever.

THEN people will realize that life is real LOL
Stone-Eater Friedli afronum Added Feb 13, 2017 - 2:11pm
BTW: It's not hard to pay attention but to stay focused ;-)
Tom C. Purcell Added Feb 13, 2017 - 2:54pm
It can be but not if one is self disciplined.  The pace of life is much too fast.  Well, in the states it is, in metropolitan areas.  It's got to slow down or it will hit the wall and explode.
Stone-Eater Friedli afronum Added Feb 13, 2017 - 3:01pm
I bet on the wall !
Tom C. Purcell Added Feb 13, 2017 - 3:02pm
Yah, and Twitter is just "another brick in the wall".  I love David Gilmour and Pink Floyd.
Tom C. Purcell Added Feb 13, 2017 - 3:03pm
Pink Floyd - there is poetry in song!
Stone-Eater Friedli afronum Added Feb 13, 2017 - 3:12pm
Pink Floyd ? I could only listen to that after a few reefers and some pints of beer - to fall asleep to ;-)

I think they're boring....sorry :-)

NO POWER !
Stone-Eater Friedli afronum Added Feb 13, 2017 - 3:12pm
Twitter is like McFood: Fast and superficial.
Stone-Eater Friedli afronum Added Feb 13, 2017 - 3:14pm
BTW: Listen to Henry Rollins when you want GOOD lyrics and POWER LOL
Tom C. Purcell Added Feb 13, 2017 - 3:15pm
Have you listened to The Division Bell?  Very appropriate for now.  Here:
Pink Floyd - The Division Bell  - It's mellow in the beginning, instrumental.  And there is plenty of power as the album progresses.  I like 'High Hopes'.  It has one of my favorite guitar solos.
Stone-Eater Friedli afronum Added Feb 13, 2017 - 3:27pm
Tom

Hang on...

Stone-Eater Friedli afronum Added Feb 13, 2017 - 3:31pm
Sorry.....boring

Listen to that solo....hey, a black guitarist LOL Don't telly Billy !

24spyz

Reminds me of Prince !
Stone-Eater Friedli afronum Added Feb 14, 2017 - 5:09am
Slade

Danke, ist nett von dir :-)
Shane Laing Added Feb 14, 2017 - 8:07am
Floyd no power!!!! Have you ever had Time played at full tilt by your mate after a night on the tiles? I can assure you its got plenty of power my head nearly exploded. Comfortably Numb great track great guitar solo.
Stone-Eater Friedli afronum Added Feb 14, 2017 - 9:14am
Yep. I know both and I don't like them LOL I'm more into progressive metal / math, funk or heavy blues ;-)
Stone-Eater Friedli afronum Added Feb 14, 2017 - 9:15am
BTW; The only Floyd song I ever liked was Money ;-)
Stone-Eater Friedli afronum Added Feb 14, 2017 - 1:36pm
Slade

LOL - that fits. Actually, you certainly know the band Slade - you named after them ? ;-) They have that monster song called "Move over", originally by Janis Joplin. When I was 17 I snubbed them being a teenie band, and when I listen to them now and compare them to what's in the charts nowadays...

I'm getting old SIGH
Stone-Eater Friedli afronum Added Feb 14, 2017 - 1:38pm
Stone-Eater Friedli afronum Added Feb 14, 2017 - 2:44pm
All the young dudes. I was about 15 when this came out, but they never really caught on with me. At that time I was into Genesis, Yes, King Crimson etc., - and the Raspberries. I still love their power pop. "On the Beach" carried me through my life. Sad that they don't know that ONE of their songs can last so long on a Swiss guy ;-)
Stone-Eater Friedli afronum Added Feb 14, 2017 - 2:45pm
BTW: Eric Carmen was a fantastic pop writer. Songs like "I can remember" are cult !
Stone-Eater Friedli afronum Added Feb 14, 2017 - 3:59pm
Right.....For me, Yes stopped to be a good band after Relayer...and same with Genesis when Gabriel left....although I also like somewhat their Pop stuff. Collins solo is another chapter though.....!
Stone-Eater Friedli afronum Added Feb 14, 2017 - 4:49pm
That's for sure. Funny to see how musicians get slower and smoother and simpler the older they get....with the exception of some Blues acts.....I like people like Lemmy was. Go for it until you hit the box. No excuses :-)
Stone-Eater Friedli afronum Added Feb 15, 2017 - 6:22am
Well....I was never into 80's hard and heavy rock, it sounds just too simple to me......IF heavy rock, I put on the first LP of Black Sabbath.....or for example Grand Funk's "Inside Looking Out" live at 120 decibels.

Aaarrgggghhh !
Stone-Eater Friedli afronum Added Feb 15, 2017 - 3:34pm
:-) Ah, I feel that old fever coming. Gotta listen to Whitney Houston (or was that Phoenix ?) !
Stone-Eater Friedli afronum Added Feb 16, 2017 - 8:44am
LOL

Recent Articles by Writers Stone-Eater Friedli afronum follows.