The People in the Bubble

Who are these people that live in this constantly talked about bubble.  Well I'll tell you who. It's the crowd that was born wealthy and attended the best schools with a connection for a good career once they graduated.  Their family money and connections made sure a constant scheme of promotions would always be in the works.  For example, look around in media.  More and more its the children of someone famous that ends up with a show on CNN, MSNBC, or a plum assignment with a major daily.

They drive their imported SUVs.  They talk non stop about the great schools their children attend.  They talk about the chefs at their favorite upscale restaurants.  Or their trainer at a posh gym.  They complain non stop about the nanny or gardener that never seems to get it right.

Each year they take multiple vacations. A summer in Europe.  A winter in South America or perhaps a safari tour in Africa.  While gone their pets go to a pet hotel.  They get massages to ease the tension.  They read books about human enlightenment and self actualization.  They talk non stop about all the healthy (and expensive) foods and remedies they take to improve their lives.

Now yes they may work hard.  And yes they have worked hard to maintain their standard of living.

But what many of them do not know is that other Americans that did not have all the advantages they did work equally as hard.  And for them there are not the luxuries of life to smooth out the stress of a hard day.  No relaxing dinners at world renowned cafes or two weeks off to explore Australia.

A new twist has been added over the past couple of decade.  They now seem to have a hate for these poorer classes.  That somehow not being born into the right family with all the connections was their fault.  That not going to Harvard, Yale or Princeton was their gross mistake.  They see this permanent underclass as "deplorable."  If they would just read some book by a famous author they could "see the light" when it comes to getting all that you so desire.

The bubble is near impossible  to burst.  It keeps outsiders out, insight thinking in and insures that their world is protected against harm.  Yes, that is why the bubble only grows thicker and floats higher.  Its walls are reinforced with myopic thinking, generational protection, and self grandeur.

Comments

Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 14, 2017 - 1:41pm
George

You know why there's so many psychiatrists ? Because the bubble bursts often :-)
Dino Manalis Added Feb 14, 2017 - 2:09pm
They're people, too, they should be respected and encouraged to help others.  The wealthy should get tax exemptions if they invest in the poor, including public housing; schools; infrastructure; and R&D of new goods and services.
Donna Added Feb 14, 2017 - 2:26pm
George,
Conversation between my guy, and an old school chum. Has not seen him in over 20 years:
So what do you mean no vacations? You have never left the Country, but dude i have gone to South Africa, Europe twice last year, Switzerland is my pastime..
So he explained we work, pay bills, and nothing is left. We built our home in 2007, all fell apart after that, what little we did have was gone..We are now helping elderly in family..
But how can you live like this? Why not make her get a better job,or you go back to school..I was quiet up until this point...Wasn't sure i should say anything, felt hey this is your friend, you tell him..then i looked over and saw my guy with a tear..Yup his buddy from long ago, had no clue as to what life has done and to whom..
He was born into some major cash, left 6 houses with lots of land, fancy cars.Etc..
So i took over, i explained that we have 2 paychecks to work with, a mortgage to pay, electric bill, food on table, and i have another job to help with both of our parents that don't get much from SS.I also explained that we were on our way to saving for the future, when the stock market failed and we lost all we had..
After an hour of talking, his response to me was simply: Sorry but i could never live like this, and i don't see how He can either..Not how both of you could, made the blood boil..so here was my answer to him: We look in the mirror every day, and know we have done all we can to help our parents, we take in rescue animals, and help find a forever home, we help with the older neighbors by planting a garden and providing fresh veggies to feed them, we donate anything left to a food pantry that cans and makes home made stuff for the county..What have you done??
Oh well we really don't see a need to donate unless we require a tax break.On that note i excused myself form the room, because as you said they live in a bubble, and i was about to pop his for him..
Dino,you are right they are people to, however some are so far removed from the rest of us, they really are not of any help..nor do they have any interest..
Stone as always  ;)
George N Romey Added Feb 14, 2017 - 2:46pm
Donna great reply and an amazing illustration of how they think. It's that idea that you can magically make everything to your liking. Much easier to do when you are assured a great paying job and have mucho dinero in the bank.  Job and life driving you crazy?  Quit the job and go on a six month world hiking tour. When you get back hit up a connection for a new job and write a wonderful post on Medium about how "liberating" your experience was.

I like many others was able to join that "bubble" because of hard work and preparedness. But unlike those with family money when the bubble burst in the "Great Recession" (which for most has never ended) I lost all.  So did many others, including friends and acquaintances that committed suicide.  I might one day soon join them. Or from the health issues I am having from the stress.

I used think you could always get what you wanted if you just persevered and tried hard enough.  Then I became unemployed at 53 and suddenly I found out what many others knew. The good jobs were far and few and going to much younger workers.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 14, 2017 - 2:58pm
Donna

"Stone as always" ? ;-)

Switzerland is my pastime..

?!? Nuthin' 2 do or C here....

Seems to be a slight irritation of mind. Next time you're here consult me for some slight correction LOL
Donna Added Feb 14, 2017 - 3:07pm
Stone,
Simply meant a smile for you, as i always smile when i see a comment from you..
Switzerland is my pastime, this is what his friend said, he loves to simply stay there for months, said the Chics are hot and fun!!
I have never been there, my only trip out of Country was long ago, and it was  to Italy with my Grandfather..
Such beautiful architecture..
George, I am 51, and lost all as did you, My current full time job, is up for sale, if the company looking at it now buys it, we will all be out of work, they are going to bring their own help from parent company out of Long Island..So i have sent out about 65 resumes in the last week..Here we go again....Ugh!!
Oh and yes stress is a real fun thing, caused a bleeding ulcer, now IBS, also have constant migraines..but hey life is fun, right...maybe for some..
Joe Chiang Added Feb 14, 2017 - 3:17pm
It is still possible to jump economic levels in this country, even if difficult to do so.  But your premise is accurate and movement is more restricted than it used to be.
George N Romey Added Feb 14, 2017 - 3:18pm
Donna you deserve much better in life.  You give of yourself yet somehow in the corporate world none of your amazing personal qualities seem to matter.  What a mentor you could be to younger employees.  This is our new predator, vulture capitalism.  It only rewards the lucky few while raping, plundering and pillaging everyone else.  We are here to be exploited.
Donna Added Feb 14, 2017 - 3:37pm
@ Joe,
I have found it to be impossible...Not for lack of trying..
@George You are in the same position as me in many ways..I also have watched friends take their own life, i have seen families split due to constant stress and pressure..it really sickens me..i always say i will be ok, it is others i worry about.
Not that i am stronger in any way, i have hit my own dark place many times, esp. after last year and all of the personal loss.I try to stay as positive as possible, but there are days when getting out of bed is a struggle..as i am sure you know..
Joe Chiang Added Feb 14, 2017 - 4:16pm
@Donna.  I have an invention that can turn rivers at least 20 feet deep to produce electric power in almost unlimited amounts anywhere in the world.  I need to build a prototype.  My tax refund will give me the funds to buy a generator.  I'm working out the rest of my prototype so it can be tested this spring.  Another application of this new technology was independently valued at over $400m.  I am guessing this is after the prototype is built, worth over $100m.  I have no interest in these other than a small royalty.  So I am looking for people who want to take these applications (possibly 3) and develop and market them.  I just want to make sure big money does not get hold of them to bury them.  I believe this will make that jump to the next economic level, not unlike the way Gates and Zuckerburg did.
George N Romey Added Feb 14, 2017 - 4:42pm
Joe I sincerely hope that you can.  The problem in our country is funding a great idea and bringing it to critical mass in the market is very difficult. The SBA is fairly useless and banks won't give you the time of day.  Unless you have private angel investors that don't want a piece of your side even the most honorable people get co-opted.

Zuckberg sold out because he wanted to remain CEO so he learned to pay the corporate games.  His little website with its wonderful story soon got taken over by big money interests wanting to monetize it to death.

I like to remind people that a Steven Jobs wouldn't happen today.  With this addiction to big data everything needs an analyzed ROA and ROI.  Of course, those projections are often wrong anyway.  Jobs was a dreamer and visionary.  There is no Microsoft Office program to evaluate a vision.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 14, 2017 - 5:25pm
Donna

said the Chics are hot and fun!!

They're white as chicken breasts, no thanx LOL

I am 51, and lost all as did you

Maybe I've got an advantage here - I never had much to lose because I was on the road instead of working....only to get by and buy my next travel.

But it pays off in a way I never expected: I feel at home almost everywhere, I can assimilate easily to local customs and I speak some languages. This gives the security that I could leave any minute here in Switzerland, board a plane to several countries where I have connections and family and stay there. I always wanted to be sure I don't live in a cage which is the case when you don't know other than your own country. I would get cornered.

What keeps me here - still - is my daughter which is only 13. I wouldn't leave her. But I prepare her slowly that dad is soon abroad more often than before, and for longer. Some people told me hey, you should stay and wait until she's 20 or so. Then I say, hey, by then I will be too old and grumpy because I would have missed my last chance. And which daughter wants a grumpy and unsatisfied father ?
Peter Corey Added Feb 14, 2017 - 5:43pm
> They now seem to have a hate for these poorer classes.

What evidence do you have for that statement?
George N Romey Added Feb 14, 2017 - 5:44pm
SEF is used to love to travel.  To do so meant having a good job and living more minimal.  I rented a small apartment in New York rather than buy an expensive condo. Unfortunately once the job goes so does the lifestyle.  Here in the US and well as it seems in Europe once you hit 45+ the business world thinks you an old fool that has daily leakages in your Depends and drooling all day in your cubicle or office.
George N Romey Added Feb 14, 2017 - 5:49pm
Peter our WB neoliberal kiss ass.  I've been around these people.  See Donna's story.  See the writings of Chris Hedges when he would go to classmates' homes.  Listen to Dr Richard D Wolff or Dr Mark Blythe, both that grew up in poverty.  Maybe first stop by watching Fox News or CNN.
Patrick Writes Added Feb 14, 2017 - 7:08pm
Reading this I'm reminded of the oft-mentioned ridiculous media point (paraphrased):

How is my yard going to get mowed if we deport all the illegal aliens? Or who is going to clean out my gutters? Or how is my house going to get clean?

Wow...

Is this a pressing concern that regular people have to contend with? Last I checked, most people MOW THEIR OWN GRASS or CLEAN THEIR OWN HOUSE.

If there are prominent people in American society who knowingly employ cheap illegal aliens to do their household chores for them and are so stupid as to admit this on national television and go a step further and wonder how these things are going to get done without those cheap illegal aliens make me have little hope for the future of the Republic. The Rubicon may already have been crossed people...
Mircea Negres Added Feb 15, 2017 - 2:17am
Ever since the book and movie The Secret came out, people act as if they've found the answer to life, the universe, everything. When they tell me about that stuff, I say in response "The idea that God or the universe is some enormous ATM from which you can get whatever you want by merely thinking happy thoughts is bullshit. Even if it was true, to get something out of an ATM you must first have had something to put in, and if you've got nothing to put in, what do you think you're going to get out? Nothing".

Those who are born into money and connections have no idea what those who are not have to go through every day just to survive, never mind thrive. My sympathy for them only extends as far as the moment when I see they're unwilling to break out of their ignorant bubble, because after that I walk away rather than go to jail because my fist made contact with their face and foot crunched nuts in quick succession. Nice post, George. May those living in such bubbles walk into the sharpness of reality sooner rather than later.
Jeff Jackson Added Feb 15, 2017 - 8:19am
There is the fact that 70% of rich families lose their wealth by the second generation, and that is comforting to me. Anderson Cooper is described thusly: " his maternal great-great-great-grandfather was business magnate Cornelius Vanderbilt" but he doesn't have any money, and yet, he has a plum position in the network now doesn't he?  There are a lot of wealth management firms now, because of the draining of the money, but greed takes over and they blow through the dough. I have no sympathy for them. My old neighbor married one of those, but as I understand it, in the divorce she got nothing, as their legal documents regarding what anyone could get were very strict and vigorously enforced; he could only have so much and the rest went to the next generation.
Joe Chiang Added Feb 15, 2017 - 10:37am
About 90% of winners of the lottery are normally back in the same situation or worse as when they won within 5 years.  The wealth of one generation is squandered by the next unless the funds are put out of reach, managed by a financial manager.  Then the subsequent generations live on the allowance.
Or the income is large and from a continuous source.  Steel, RR, Internet, etc.
I plan to have the prototype made and do testing this spring or summer.  That and golf, my goals for this year.  LOL
George N Romey Added Feb 15, 2017 - 12:31pm
Jeff/Joe the rich always have options and connections we do not.  You have to wonder how homes, boats, cars, and diamond does one need to be content in life?  Again its part of this CEO class.  People that were born into wealth, attended the best schools paid for by parents and have never worked an entry level job.  They haven't the slightest clue what their workers go through (see Donna's story).

The CEO that worked his way up from the factory or shop floor had a sense of realism.

Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 15, 2017 - 12:42pm
George

Spot on.
Joe Chiang Added Feb 15, 2017 - 12:45pm
So true.  I heard about an interview with Rockefeller, then the richest man in the world, a reporter had (back when the press actually reported the news) asked him "How much money is enough?"  His answer is classic, "Just a little bit more."  LOL
George N Romey Added Feb 15, 2017 - 12:52pm
SEF, you obviously have been around this crowd, so have I living in NYC.  I met the sons of the uber rich.  I saw how they thought and their attitudes on life.  They were raised to believe that they were special and anything they wanted in life was easily obtainable.  No or can't now are not in their paradigm.

I don't begrudge them their wealth.  They got the luck of the straw. However, it seems as though they believe the pie is all theirs for the taking.  How many times I saw them with some flashy tech or fashion clothing line startup. While they booked first class flight tickets and charged $200 dinners to the company while unpaid interns were doing most of the "grunt" work. They would interview for managers and refuse to budge on salary negotiations. I see it now in job interviewing.
George N Romey Added Feb 15, 2017 - 12:55pm
Joe read some of the stuff on social media.  Someone like Zuckerberg takes a $100K vacation in some really off the beat trail then writes about how the experience "changed him."
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 15, 2017 - 1:03pm
George

What I found out is the percentage of ignorant people in upper classes is about as high as the one in the lowest class.

The middle class is usually the most reasonable.....
Rex Added Feb 15, 2017 - 1:04pm
George  I agree that there is a bubble. But if you look at what these people and even some people who are middle class think is deplorable is that we who work hard for a living have to pay for the poor via taxes. We who pay for this are resentful, especially since many of us have to pay for our needs for housing, food insurance and medical care.

We are also told we have no right to complain when a single poor woman decides to have multiple children and never attempt to get educated and and hold down a job. Not can we sterilize her to prevent additional children we will have to support.

I am hoping that the one thing that comes from a Trump presidency is that illegals are removed- then perhaps the poor would have jobs to fill in replacing them!
I will not hold my breath  the first thing ACLU will do is file a case about poor people being exploited by working at menial low paying jobs forced and to pay their own way is cruel and should not be tolerated.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 15, 2017 - 1:04pm

Oh.....confirmation of my above comment LOL
George N Romey Added Feb 15, 2017 - 1:19pm
Nancy most of the poor are the working poor and many used to be middle class or even, and in the case of me, upper middle class. The data clearly shows when someone over 50 is laid off the odds are against them of being reemployed in a decent job.  Its why the suicide rate is soaring (and now is rising more for women) and we have an opiate epidemic with older adults.

Worse yet is that social mobility is nearly dead.  I have an African American female friend.  Her father was a janitor, he mother a maid. They lived in the projects of Boston.  But she had two great parents that demanded she go to college and break the cycle of poverty. She worked in television and eventually took a job in PR at Harvard. In 2008 Harvard chopped a bunch of jobs off due to the financial crash.  Unable to find a job she took out a $50K student loan to get a master's degree. Despite her education and great experience no one will hire her because she is 56. She had been surviving on her husband's income but he was just laid off too.  As she said to me, I worked so hard to get out of poverty just to be shoved back into poverty more than 30 years later.

Also, the issue with jobs goes far, far beyond illegal immigrants. How about all the professional jobs being taken over by HB1 Visa workers that will work for half of what those jobs had typically paid.
People do not seem to understand they are more of a threat to our society than the relatively few that are coming over the Mexican borders.  The HB1 visas are legally taking jobs from our best minds and best trained.  And that isn't right.  Trump should be putting a halt to that well before even thinking of a wall.
Joe Chiang Added Feb 15, 2017 - 1:38pm
@George.  So sad.  That is another reason I want to get my invention moving.  I want to create good jobs for all, but especially those who are in a disadvantaged circumstance.
Re Zuckerburg.  I ran and lost (won) for State Superintendent of schools.  I lost the political race but won not having to move to the big city and clean the cesspool.  But in order to win the incumbent had to ask her friend multi-millionaire from Internet Burgum, now Governor Burgum to ask his personal friend Gates to ask his personal friend Zuckerburg to stop my advertising on FaceBook, which he did.  I just might have won/lost if my ads had continued.  The liberals all blocked the truth from being told the entire campaign.  The shame was this was not just me, but all the children in the state and maybe the nation.  Here the incumbent has driven our school proficiency rates from 80% to 40%, but the liberals tell the citizens this is good.  When no other message is permitted, too many believe it.
Without the good education, the lower classes have no chance of raising themselves up.  So sad.
DeVos, our new Dept of Ed leader wants to destroy what is left of public education and replace it with Gates' computer education which is already a proven failure.
This nation is going to pot very fast.
George N Romey Added Feb 15, 2017 - 1:52pm
Joe you can see the stark difference between Baby Boomers and millennials.  Baby Boomers were taught how to think critically, apply reason and logic and reference history.  Millennials (no fault of their own) have been taught how to pass standardized tests and believe that technology and data hold all the answers.  I see it in the business world.  How many times am I told now "I only go by the data."

Gate's idea that everything can be learned and solved by technology is accepted because its an easy answer.  Just like the CEO that doesn't really want to make decisions but instead defers to "the data."  Its how we got the financial collapse of 2008.  A bunch of Wall Street CEOs taking flawed quant models verbatim.
Joe Chiang Added Feb 15, 2017 - 2:00pm
That fits.  And after the Millennials, we have the Snowflake Generation that thinks they must always get their way or they need to go into therapy.
George N Romey Added Feb 15, 2017 - 2:06pm
Joe I have met millennials in the workplace and the one thing they long for is a mentor.  But the management is often as clueless as they are.  Go on a job interview today.  I have. The main question, not your leadership or management skills.  Same question over and over again, "on a scale of one to ten how would you rate your Excel skills?"  Its your ability to crank out spreadsheets and use large data dumps, even in senior management roles.
Joe Chiang Added Feb 15, 2017 - 2:10pm
Education is going in that direction as well.  But as a numbers person, I can demonstrate for anyone interested in seeing, that just statistics cannot work.  You must ask the correct question to get the best answer.  If you don't ask the right question, then your statistical answer is garbage.
George N Romey Added Feb 15, 2017 - 2:32pm
Joe data should be used to support a hypothesis or an experienced guess or belief.  You should know how to set up the right questions and take into account all the variables.  Big data only knows what its been told. As you probably remember there was an expression years back of garbage in, garbage out.  We seem to have come to this belief that data can magically transform itself.
John Carter Added Feb 15, 2017 - 3:21pm
Part of the issue is that people at all levels don't understand how the others live. Not unless they've been there. Do I really understand how the poorest live? Not really, and I know a few who are homeless.

I do what I can for them, which is usually providing them a place to crash out of the weather, or a place to cook/have cooked a hot meal, but that's about all I can do for them.

I once had a good job, making more than enough money, and then lost it due to budget cuts and being let go. After all, I was one of the last in, and thus one of the first ones out. At least they were honest with me about that, which many don't always get told.

Since then, I've been using my VA benefits to go to school, I have that going for me, and to support myself. Well, I did, and will again, but I still have a job that pays just over minimum wage, It was more than a year before my industry started hiring again, and by then, I was unhireable due to lapsed skills. You can't maintain them out of the workplace, but you can't get in without maintaining them, the normal Catch-22 that has gotten more than a few who were in my situation.

Still, it's not all bad. I have a place, I have a job
John Carter Added Feb 15, 2017 - 3:22pm
oops.

Well, I have a place to start from. Won't burst up there, but I have it nice enough. Maybe in a couple of years, I might actually take a vacation. Maybe.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 15, 2017 - 3:30pm
Joe

computer education

You mean how to use a selfie as a reference to find a job ? Dumb and dumber gets the job LOL
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 15, 2017 - 3:32pm
Let's face it: We're all modern slaves. We're NOT in control of our lives. We might get there again when we quit the consumer society and start to live on what we NEED and not what the corps TELL us what we should need.
George N Romey Added Feb 15, 2017 - 3:48pm
SEF I watch a show on Nat Geo called Life Below Zero. Its about people living a subsistence life in the harshest of climates in Alaska.  They live on what the land provides and they seem genuinely happy.  You are right we have been sold a bill of goods.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 15, 2017 - 3:51pm
George

We'd never be able to support that. These peoples live there for millenia. And it they're Westerners they have the needed gear......

We live subsistence in Cameroon too. But it's compensated by human warmth....
George N Romey Added Feb 15, 2017 - 4:05pm
SEF the corporatists dictate what we need but then they take away the ability to survive. 94% of the jobs created from 2009 to 2016 in the US were either part time, temporary or gig.  The vast majority of new jobs pay less than $40K a year.  $40K a year is pretty much survival living and not much else.  Those jobs lead nowhere.

Yet listen to the elites talk.  They talk about Uber driver jobs with glee! Yes you can have independent living.  In reality you will barely make minimum wage after expenses and your car will be trashed after three years.  This is how they think.  They look at Uber as something people would "want to do."  Same as Airbnb.

The idea that people need a stable paycheck, health insurance, PTO and paths to financial growth doesn't even remotely resonate with them.  Just once I wished they would read social websites where people are actively talking about suicide because they no longer can provide for themselves.  We are the richest nation in the history of man and people with experience and a good education are killing themselves or ODing.  What the f@@k?  I can't even wrap my head around how all of this is completely ignored or covered up.

Instead of a story about Ivanka Trump's clothing line being dumped by Nordstrom's how about a story on the couple hundred suicides taking place each day by people over 50.

Joe Chiang Added Feb 15, 2017 - 8:00pm
Just got back from a Inservice on the new Title 1 regulations.  Schools are now supposed to provide food and clothes to defined homeless.  Students living in more than one place each week are considered homeless. Students living with more than one family, ie extended family, are considered homeless.
These students are expected privacy, in other words the teachers are not permitted to know who these students are, but teachers are expected to provide services to these students without knowing who they are.  Yeah, that is going to work.
Robert Potter Added Feb 15, 2017 - 8:51pm
Great insight, George!

It's true, and it's bubbles all the way up. The bubble of our neighborhood, our socio-economic class, our education, our state, our country, our alliance, our race, etc.

I am just as guilty of it as anyone else. We can be proud of what we've done with our lives and where we've come from, but everyone needs to realize that it can be really hard for people. This is especially true for people who don't look like you. ("You" in the general sense, not you specifically.)
George N Romey Added Feb 15, 2017 - 8:58pm
Thank you Robert.  We all live in a bubble to a certain extent but elites are just pure clueless.  Even back in my days of making six figures I understood how most people struggled in life.
Mark Hunter Added Feb 16, 2017 - 2:16am
My wife and I take a few vacations a year: We hop in the American-made SUV we bought used, take our rescue dog with us, and stay in a six man tent at state parks. Instead of reading books on human enlightenment and self actualization, I write books on adventure and humor. We're lower middle class, and *still* doing better than a lot of people in this country, let alone the rest of the world.

The thing is, I'll bet we're happier than most of the people who take all their wealth for granted.
Jeffry Gilbert Added Feb 16, 2017 - 4:33am
Time to drag the bubble people to the guillotines. Only rational solution.
George N Romey Added Feb 16, 2017 - 8:48am
MJ when the bubble people fall sick they have the best of care and are far more likely to have a recovery than someone that is relying upon the emergency room.  No one is asking for riches but just the ability to get a small slice of the pie.
Joe Chiang Added Feb 16, 2017 - 9:05am
Well said George!
Donna Added Feb 16, 2017 - 4:45pm
George, All well said, remember the movie with Eddie Murphy -Changing Places?? Makes me think of how the CEO of today would survive in our world..
Joe, I wish you all the best in your invention...please keep us updated. Do you require help? monetary? maybe some of us could combine and help..Just a thought.
MJ,
you are correct, they do get hurt, catch things. I have no hate toward them, just the fact that they have no matter nor knowledge of how most of us live from day to day..and to be honest with those i have encountered, they do not care..
George N Romey Added Feb 16, 2017 - 4:58pm
Donna it goes far beyond not caring.  Their beliefs are that those born into modest means or poverty or someone that through not fault of their own fallen on hard times deserves to be impoverished and forgotten.  I am listening to story after story of workers over the age 50 with great experience and education, laid off, not hired again and have committed suicide.  I am very close to this happening.  I've been fighting for over a year now but its all slipping away.

There should be a better way.  At least I can take comfort in the fact that I had 53 reasonably good years.
Donna Added Feb 16, 2017 - 5:09pm
George,
I know what you mean, i have seen this as well. Had 3 good friends that took that route..all 53, no work, no responses from the oh so reliable computer that all applications now go through..I tried so hard to talk one out of this...when he called crying i knew what and how it was going to end..i called for help from another phone, heard the shot before the sounds of the sirens..Such a sad world we have now..at least for some of us over 50..Please do not consider this..even through only this site i would miss you..as so many others would also..Of this i am sure..
George N Romey Added Feb 16, 2017 - 5:33pm
Donna I have already lost friends to suicide, one of that I was close to.  He died back in 2010 after all was lost.  More and more I am facing a very stark economic reality.  I have searched high and low for resources but we are truly the forgotten.  I even pray in church everyday.

I refer to it as the "Final Solution" because clearly our public and private leaders are more than happy to allow for soaring suicide rates and death from opiate use.  Like the Jews going into the ovens they turn their heads and pretend there is no human crisis.

I am lucky enough to have many supporters and followers on social media and on projects I have worked on (no pay of course).  They are doing their best to keep me going and I realize how blessed I am to have such a following.  I and many others have in vain tried to call attention to what is happening (including the fact that the fastest rise in homelessness are people over the age of 50) but media and our political leaders have zero, no, nada, zilch desire to get involved.  They'd rather report on the latest Trump tweet or Ivanka'a clothing line at some two time loser department store chain.

The thing is I know so many people just tired and pissed off at what has happened in this country.  But nothing gets done because those in power see no need for change.  No wonder there is so much anger and hate, certainly the most I have witnessed in my lifetime.

One day soon when the middle and upper middle class has been so hallowed out and loans are in massive default aggregate demand will collapse.  The stock market will plunge.  Banks will again be in deep trouble.  Large businesses will be massively scaling back. Maybe just maybe that will be the catalyst for change, when the !% begins to lose their paper fortunes.  I hope I'm alive to see it even if I starve to death in the process.  At least I will die with a sense of revenge.
Joe Chiang Added Feb 16, 2017 - 7:38pm
@Donna.  If you are serious, let me know.  Jands_24538@yahoo.com
Before coming to ND, I was in business and taught in Virginia.  I had my own Insurance agency for 10 years.  I never lost a client or student in 45 years.  But I have averaged a death a year since being in ND.  One suicide, two traffic accidents, etc and that is just my students.
George N Romey Added Feb 16, 2017 - 9:04pm
Luchino stagnation also causes anger, hate and revolt.  History is full of revolutions and riots against the elites.  FDR saved this country from revolt in the 1930s by inspiring hope.  We have no FDR today.  Wonder where this is going?
Tamara Wilhite Added Feb 16, 2017 - 10:24pm
Charles Murray in "Coming Apart" describes the phenomena of geographic segregation by income, such that people of separate classes almost never interact. And the top 0.1% is separate from the 1% who almost never see the 50% unless driving past.
Each group watched different TV shows, their children attend separate schools, has different cultural values ... and because there is no mixing, there is no understanding.
A liberal who loves immigration and open doors of refugees doesn't have to face a real risk of crime by them, or deal with overcrowded schools now burdened by more ESL cases. Hey, we get more people making authentic foreign food and get a living example of charity though we could take care of ten more for the cost of this one in their native land!
Complain about legal and illegal immigrants depressing wages for poor Americans, get called racist. Bring up the fear that mentally ill men in dresses could rape women to a liberal who cites a 1/5 rape statistic, get called phobic. Cite any non-liberal opinion, and you're either branded stupid, evil or crazy (phobic is exactly that). If they do admit problems for the middle and lower class their policies create, the negative effects are dismissed as irrelevant because they had good intent, shut up and let's do more of the same to fix it or blame the problem on the haters who are suffering as a result of the "love" party's policies.

The smug style in American liberalism
George N Romey Added Feb 16, 2017 - 10:28pm
The bubble comes in all political and social forms.
Jeffry Gilbert Added Feb 17, 2017 - 2:14am
Like I said on another article George, you want a job get on a Qatar airways flight out of BWI or IAD to BKK and I'll introduce you to a firm that if you're half as good as you think you are you'll end up running the BKK office. I'll even show you where to get a cheap but good $140 per month apt with swimming pool and gym until your commission checks start rolling in.
Joe Chiang Added Feb 17, 2017 - 9:19am
@Tamara.  That was an excellent analyses.  I never thought of the issue in quite that way, but you are right on target.
George N Romey Added Feb 17, 2017 - 9:22am
Jeffrey see if Autumn will PM my email address to you.

Recent Articles by Writers George N Romey follows.