Stuck in the Middle

Do I hate capitalism?

Nope.

Do I dislike greed?

Yes, I do.

Do I want Obamacare?

Hell, no.

Am I for affordable healthcare?

Of course.

Do I want abortion to be PROMOTED?

Do I think it should be legal?

Yes, but both parents should have a say.

Do I think we have the right to birth control?

Absolutely.

Should it be free to all?

Nope. What is so wrong with compromising to cut costs?

Do I like Donald Trump?

Not particularly.

Do I refer to him as President Trump?

Yes, I do.

Do I want refugees to suffer?

Of course not.

Am I okay with vetting immigrants?

Yes, I am.

Do I want equal rights?

Yep.

Have I ever felt oppressed because I am a woman?

Not at all.

Do I care about the civil rights of others?

Of course. (And I have this crazy belief that most people do.)

Do I think people need to be ashamed of being born white…or male?

No, I do not.

Am I concerned about the state of our country?

Is it because of our current government?

Not even close.

Comments

Ari Silverstein Added Feb 16, 2017 - 9:07am
Based on your responses I’d say you’re firmly on the right.  The Obamacare answer alone was a dead give-away.

I’m curious what greed has to do with anything?  Just who are you suggesting is greedy, the Left or the Right?

Same question about birth control, who are you suggesting wants to take away your right to it?

Same question about immigrants and refugees?

Come to think of it, many of your questions have nothing to do with the political issues facing society today.
Janie Smith Added Feb 16, 2017 - 5:33pm
Yes, pretty much agree on all points, except that I am a little bit more conservative on my views on abortion in that I would like to see abortions limited to within the first 5 weeks.

I know thats not the point of your article, and I completely get your point...I think if most people sat down and took their thumbs out of their mouths they would probably find that they mostly agree as well.
Slade Hartman Added Feb 16, 2017 - 5:42pm
A buddy of mine joked about forming POTEM...Party Of The Extreme Middle. lol
Ryan Messano Added Feb 16, 2017 - 5:48pm
Do I hate capitalism?
Nope.

Do I dislike greed?
Yes, I do.  And every human has it.  The poor on welfare are often just as greedy as the greedy billionaires. Only one works for money, and the other refuses.

Do I want Obamacare?
Absolutely not.

Am I for affordable healthcare?
not the governments job.  American's are to blame with their 9 years of sitting on the couch watching the idiot box, mind altering drugs, and we spend $700 billion a year on drugs, alcohol, and tobacco problems.

Do I want abortion to be PROMOTED?

Do I think it should be legal?
No, it's murder, and should be completely illegal.  Roe V. Wade was a farce.

Do I think we have the right to birth control?
No.  It was illegal until 1965.  Our national debt then was $317 billion, and today it's $20 trillion.  Most Americans are blind and can't understand low birth rates are the sign of a crumbling society.

Should it be free to all?
It should be illegal.

Do I like Donald Trump?
Not particularly. He has his issues.  But the RNC platform is great.

Do I refer to him as President Trump?
Yes, I do.

Do I want refugees to suffer?
Of course not.

Am I okay with vetting immigrants?
Yes, I am.

Do I want equal rights?
Democrats equal rights is code for Communism.  I don't want that.

Have I ever felt oppressed because I am a woman?
Not at all.  I've never been a woman.

Do I care about the civil rights of others?
Of course. (And I have this crazy belief that most people do.)

Do I think people need to be ashamed of being born white…or male?
No, I do not.

Am I concerned about the state of our country?

Is it because of our current government?
Not even close.
Janie Smith Added Feb 16, 2017 - 5:52pm
lol, Ryan.

I like that idea, Slade!
Billy Roper Added Feb 16, 2017 - 6:45pm
Riding the fence can give a man an awful sore crotch. No man's land is where you end up getting caught in the crossfire. Or, to paraphrase scripture, I would that you were hot or cold, rather than lukewarm.
Randomly Me Added Feb 17, 2017 - 9:05pm
Sorry it took me so long to respond.  Just got my writer authorization. Thanks for reading, everybody.
Anyway, Ari, I definitely veer somewhat to the right, but if I had to label myself, I'd say I'm moderate. My "poem" was in response to a barrage of progressive pieces on a left-leaning platform.  So, in answer to your questions, I think some people on both sides are greedy, I am not concerned at all about losing my birth control. I don't see anything wrong with vetting people coming into the country, but to some writers I've read, even stating that makes me a racist.  I find it interesting that you mention that these are not political issues facing our country today, because on the other site, they are most definitely being discussed by self-labeled social justice warriors as issues threatening human rights because of our President.

I think you're right, Janie, about most people agreeing...if they would just listen to each other.  I didn't want to get too wordy on the issue of abortion in my piece, but though I think adults should be free to make their own choices, I couldn't do it (literally), and wouldn't want to live with myself afterward.  Or be a father who wasn't given a choice.  And, yeah, I can't think of a single excuse for late-term abortions.

Slade, tell your friend I want in on the POTEM.

Thanks for playing, Ryan.  Sounds like we agree more than disagree, but even if we didn't, I appreciate your response.  Glad you've never experienced woman-ly oppression....it sounds unpleasant.

Never heard that one, Billy, but I'll take my chances.  I live in no man's land, and have way less chance of being anywhere near crossfire.
Stone-Eater Friedli afronum Added Feb 20, 2017 - 8:11am
Do I think people need to be ashamed of being born white…or male?

Is there a slight feminist touch to this ? ;-)
Stone-Eater Friedli afronum Added Feb 20, 2017 - 8:12am
BTW: From your answers, here in Europe you would be considered left.
Bill H. Added Feb 20, 2017 - 11:59am

"Riding the fence" as it is called should be considered an honor badge.
If people simply allow one "side" or the other to do your thinking for you and present you with a list of commands, then they are simple folk, easily manipulated and formed like clay.
For example, I see a group out here from a political party that once stood firm against the Russians and was once outspoken on "nuking them" if they stepped out of line.
Seems that now just because their Orange Commandant has declared that the Russians are our friend, they will flock in hoards to worship the hammer and sickle and all that it stands for.
Oh how easy it is to manipulate the masses when all one has to do is disguise themselves as an Authoritarian in Republican's clothing.

Shane Dean Added Feb 21, 2017 - 1:37pm
Janie Smith, you do realize most people do not even realize they are pregnant until well after 5 weeks?  You basically are trying to ban all abortions without saying it, which is rather cowardly.  If you are going to take a position, stand firm on it.  Don't try to qualify it to make yourself seem more tolerant than you actually are.

Shane Dean Added Feb 21, 2017 - 1:41pm
Thank you, Randomly Me, for writing this.  I too have long felt that I am stuck between two extremes when dealing with the world.  That is one of the reasons I vote Libertarian more often than not now.  Here's to more articles, keep up the good work!
Randomly Me Added Feb 24, 2017 - 7:02am
Yes, my "poem" was in response to feminists, Stone-Eater.

Thanks for reading, Bill.  I'm not sure if I'm on the fence at all, now that I think about it.  I simply don't fit into any of the categories.

I wouldn't say most people Shane, but you do have a point.  Thanks for reading!