Rivera Beach, MD

Where or what the hell is Rivera Beach, MD. I'll tell you.  Its where I grew up in the 1960s. Its located about 20 miles south of Baltimore and about 50 miles north of Washington DC.  In the 1960s is was total middle class.  Over half of the people worked in the local area, some were blue collar workers from Baltimore and a relatively few were long distance white collar commuters into the nation's capital.

It was a community with active civic organizations.  Local residents did what many bumbling bureaucrats try to do today.  The local elementary school was actively run by parents that often sat in on classes. Parents looked out for all of the neighborhood kids.  So did older retired people. I remember my retired neighbor Mrs. Kamp on her porch making sure walking home students were orderly and not fighting. Neighbors car pooled and even car shared.  This of course a time of mostly just working fathers.

Kids played in the small section of woods with no fear.  Neighbors were always on the lookout for any bad element.  Lawns were cut and manicured and streets clean.  Local businesses took care of needs from the bank to the grocery store to the local bar.  Men volunteered at the firehouse, one of the three local churches (the Catholic church the biggest), the neighborhood watch, Little League, etc., often a combination thereof.  There was a local committee of women that looked after the elderly and sick, volunteered at the elementary school, ushered kids across the street and cleaned the churches. Everyone had some kind of community involvement.

The local beach was maintained by the community.  A summer's day would include families and parents needing the day to take care of other matters could rely on another parent to look after their kids.  I think my parents knew everyone in that community by at least site if not name.  People loved to congregate on someone's large porch or a street corner, drink beer or ice tea and talk (not rant) about current events.

Sadly the move towards McMansions, homes without porches, and deattachment from communities has killed this kind of experience growing up.  My parents actually moved away in 1969 to get a bigger home with more land and my life was never the same.  By the 1970s this kind of community was being replaced by the government and big business.

Comments

wsucram15 Added Feb 16, 2017 - 1:06pm
Isnt Rivera Beach on the Rhode River?
George N Romey Added Feb 16, 2017 - 3:07pm
Nope the Stoney Creek.
wsucram15 Added Feb 16, 2017 - 5:14pm
Ok..sorry, its Beverly Beach I was thinking about. My former in laws live there. I think we talked about that once, it opens up into South River, then the bay.  By boat, you can go to the bay bridge, not very far, choppy though...always.

George N Romey Added Feb 16, 2017 - 5:43pm
That's more expensive real estate. Rivera Beach is on the northern end of Anne Arundel county. Anne Arundel is sandwiched between Baltimore County and Baltimore City, Howard country, Calvert county, Prince George's country and the Chesapeake Bay.
wsucram15 Added Feb 17, 2017 - 11:12am
We talked about it once, but I actually had to look on a map to locate the correct place.  Yeah his family was into computer software and the shed was bigger than most houses people live in.  It had a pool room in it, I swear.  All of them were pool sharks.
I like that side of the shore..my Uncle Bill lives in Easton, MD, also in a huge house and I like Beverly Beach better.  Its just nicer, although the upkeep is ridiculous. My Cousins both live right outside Annapolis, Billy on an outlet of some sort.
I liked this article.  Much nicer than politics.
TY

George N Romey Added Feb 17, 2017 - 2:54pm
After moving back to the Western Shore in 1982 I moved in with an ex college roommate off of Ritchie Highway.  I subsequently moved to Waldorf in 1984 for a job but moved back to Bay Ridge (right outside of Annapolis) for another job in 1987 until I left in 1994 for the Big Apple.  I miss Bay Ridge.  You never had to lock your door.  Neighbors were friends.  I used to cut everybody's lawn for them when they went on vacation (got lots of great free meals that way). They were the best times of my life.
George N Romey Added Feb 17, 2017 - 3:40pm
Jeanne I miss those days when people didn't scream at one another. When conversation had civility.  Neighbors were out to help neighbors.  The internet was suppose to bring us together but has done nothing to stoke hate.  Add in the fall our of economy and we are much more hateful nation than we have been since the end of the WW2.

Recent Articles by Writers George N Romey follows.