Blame-the-media hypocrisy

I’m getting increasingly annoyed at the amount of times the media is blamed. From Trump saying “I have never seen more dishonest media, frankly than the political media” to liberals labeling any news they disagree with as “fake news,” no side of the political aisle is innocent of the blame-the-media bandwagon.  These complaints are ridiculous and I think it stems from a lack of understanding of the simplest of business concepts…the customer is king.

The more people that view, listen, click and download what the media is producing the more advertising it can sell and the more money it makes.  In light of the fact advertisers pay more for more eyeballs, it behooves the media to deliver the content its customers seek.

For the same reasons there are traffic jams on the side of the road where the accident didn’t occur, the media knows we like our news and information full of violence and as graphic as possible.  That is why the old adage “if it bleeds it leads” is the first rule in the production of the nightly news.   One that blames the media for this phenomenon forgets the simple fact that they are only doing their job by giving their consumers what they demand.  If more people tuned into the heartfelt story of the three-legged dog at the fire station, they would lead with that.  So we only have ourselves to blame if are unhappy with our selected provider of news and information.

Speaking of blame, NBC was caught doctoring a 911 recording to make it appear like George Zimmerman (the man who killed Trayvon Martin) was a racist.  Perhaps Zimmerman was a racist but doctoring the recording is unconscionable for a news station.  NBC ratings are about the same now as they were following the revelation that it produced fake news.  In other words, NBC was just providing the type of news its customers wanted and that was for Zimmerman to be a racist.

With so many options to choose from and the polarization of politics, people are increasingly gravitating to news and information providers that agree with their point of view.  Accordingly, a story about the IRS scandal will undoubtedly be like serving red meat to the average Fox viewer and cause the MSNBC viewer to change the channel.

Another example of media altering the news to serve their clientele is the subtle use of certain words.  On Fox News troops in Iraq were frequently referred to as “allied forces,” whereas on NBC they were called “occupying forces.” I believe “occupying” was a gross mischaracterization of our presence in Iraq but to the average NBC viewer I’m sure “allied” was the more improper adjective.

So the list is endless of news purveyors providing the type of news their customers demand.  There is also an endless amount of people blaming the media.  What a waste of time and effort…put your finger down and turn the channel for Christ sake.

Comments

Steve Bergeron Added Feb 17, 2017 - 9:16am
Hey, Ari!  Good article!

The problem, as I see it, is the failure of our educational system.  A majority of people these days, who have been deprived of a proper education, rely on the news to get their information.  Not being able to apply critical thinking skills, they soak up whatever the national media spews at them, including the attitude the news media wants them to have about what's being said.  I have a funny mental picture of all these people saying in perfect harmonic unison, "We are all individuals, with individual thoughts and beliefs!"  Like programmed robots.

I believe that all this was orchestrated as part of a larger plan.  Get control over the educational system and dummy down the country.  Rather than educate children, indoctrinate them.  Memorize and regurgitate. Then, get control over the national media to reinforce the indoctrination, saying whatever is expeditious to control the masses.  Finally, get control over at least one of the major policital parties to make laws to change the country entirely into a Communist country, starting first with Communist-light (socialism), where the state controls everything and everyone.
Dino Manalis Added Feb 17, 2017 - 9:19am
The media tries to be analytical, but probably don't have sufficient time and resort to talking points.  They should just focus on the daily news and forget the analysis, they can't please everybody.
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 17, 2017 - 9:27am
To be sure, our educational system is a mess and society would be a lot better off if we fixed it.  I’ll keep my fingers crossed Betsy DeVos gives customers (students) some real choices.

However, I don’t think the deficiencies in our educational system and the deficiencies in our media are at all related.  If not the news, where else are we to get information on current events?

I also take exception to you characterizing the national media as spewing news.  Are you saying the local news is better or are you saying, some Podunk website is better?

I also don’t believe there is any orchestrated conspiracy to dummy down the country.  If there were, who’s doing the orchestrating?
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 17, 2017 - 9:33am
Dino:
I find the analysis of the news far more interesting than just reporting on the event.
James E. Unekis Added Feb 17, 2017 - 9:35am
I'm disappointed that one of GOD's elect children would reduce this to pure economics while there is an evil part of the left attacking Israel and funding Iran who seeks to destroy both the United States and Israel.

Trump is with me in supporting Israel's right to even exist and the leftists are determined that he is not President.

I see only $$$$ in your eyes sir.
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 17, 2017 - 9:44am
James:
What are you saying, that I should write some article lambasting left leaning news outlets because they’re anti-Israel?  I believe we should all have the freedom to choose any media we like and I think all the prominent liberal leaning news outlets are doing a terrible job.  That opinion however is not what this article is about.

Money in my eyes? I make no money from providing people news and information.
William Stockton Added Feb 17, 2017 - 10:32am
Yes, you are right Ari.  Politics (and media) are downstream of culture.

With the advent of more flat-information in the new word-fueled internet cultures, society is becoming less homogenized in thought and action.  Not necessarily a bad thing in the long run.  People will eventually get used to other people having different values and lifestyles.  I believe this is the imminent path we will take.
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 17, 2017 - 11:10am
William:
I never thought of it this topic that way.  I think it’s a very good thing that we have choices.  No longer are we beholden to the three major networks to receive our news and information.  If only everyone, starting with our president, stopped acting like they are the only sources of fake news or whatever else pisses you off about the media.
Bill H. Added Feb 17, 2017 - 11:11am
Yes, the internet is actually what has gotten us into the shape we are in.
No need to seek, analyze, and reason. Now we simply get only what the algorithm decides that we like to see and it is brightly projected into our faces to consume.
"uhhh Dude, like uhh I just read on my Facebook that uhhh there are like some uhh black helicopters flying over Starbucks and uhhh sending like fake news to uhhh everyone's computers!! OMG!!
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 17, 2017 - 11:16am
Bill:
So you prefer it if we have less sources of news and information?  Don’t you think it’s a good thing that while people are looking at silly cat videos and baby pictures, they occasionally learn about something of substance?  For whatever it’s worth, I believe the shape we are in today is far better today than the shape we were in a few months ago.
Mike Haluska Added Feb 17, 2017 - 11:25am
A few years ago Mika Brezinski (Morning Joe on MSNBC) refused to read an article during the news break about Paris Hilton's latest escapade.  I applauded her because what passes for "news" these days is simply some programming exec's idea of what will bring better ratings.

Bill H. Added Feb 17, 2017 - 11:31am

Ari - The internet would actually have been a fine source of information if search engines were not selective and news sources were not hyped to take advantage of this.
Most internet "news sources" are ultra-polarized to attract people who are ultra-polarized by their search engine bubble and Facebook's custom feed algorithm. This goes for both people who identify with "Liberal" and "Conservative". They are repelled and attracted like magnets arranged pole to pole.
We are now seeing the product of the manipulation of society by technology. There were and still are many experiments being carried out by "Big Data" on how to "steer" people and create various group mindsets, along with actually directing people to various locations or events. Most of this is done in the name of future corporate profits, but I suspect a fair portion is also financed by the Government.
Get out of your bubble and do some real research on what is going on.
Don't allow yourself to become a product of it!
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 17, 2017 - 11:39am
Mike:
Please, like MSNBC can’t find someone to read news about Paris Hilton.  When Mika becomes the programming manager she'll have the power to dictate what news is worthy, until then she needs to do her job or find a new one.
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 17, 2017 - 11:43am
Bill:
So now it’s search engine’s fault we choose bad news?  Technology is manipulating society? Please quit it with the victim mentality and conspiracy theories.  There are plenty of non-polarized news sources, you only have yourself to blame if you don’t choose one of them.  As for me, I like my news conservative leaning, the other stuff insults my intelligence.  It would appear the one living in a bubble is you.
William Stockton Added Feb 17, 2017 - 11:45am
Ari, I think Trump's ridicule of MSM is the same which I have.  Although, I appreciate a world where we all can have different values, the MSM has been authoritarian lately in its presentation of what is "correct" in society.  A lack of intellectual argument, and stating (not informing us) that we should think only one way . . . their way.

The latest casualty of MSM authoritarian, near religious, propaganda is the latest PewDeePie controversy.  PewDeePie is the biggest youtuber by the way and made a few jokes about Nazis and Jews.  He is no lefty but wears a MAGA hat now just to infuriate these "purist" thinkers we now call MSM.

This guy, not an American, does a good job in his analysis on this subject and problem with MSM hypocrisy and the modern Social Purists.
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 17, 2017 - 11:51am
William:
I don’t agree with you about the MSM.  The good news is that I can continue to watch the MSM and you can find something else to watch.  But let’s be clear about one thing, the reason they are “mainstream” is because more people choose them over the other sources of news and information.  I think you’re far more likely to get an accurate story and intelligent analysis when a station stands so much to lose if they get it wrong.
MJ Added Feb 17, 2017 - 1:02pm
Ari, good article.
We have to rely mostly on CNN for up-to-date news on the US.
I was amazed after looking at Trump`s press conference at the way CNN portrayed the meeting---if I did not see and hear it myself I would have thought they spoke about a totally different meeting!
Ryan Messano Added Feb 17, 2017 - 1:08pm
Good article Ari!  I think the blaming of the media is merely a boxer hitting the head of an opponent, knowing head shots are the easiest path to victory.  In this way, Trump and Republicans can take Democrat muddled thinking and attack it's most effective voice, and if we discredit the media, then the entire masses who vote Democrat are discredited.

You are right.  It is American's ignorance that leads the Democrats and media to have any semblance of popularity.  That anyone watches television is a disgrace in my opinion.  Comparing the effects of watching television to reading would lead any logical person to get rid of the television, but not many people decide based on reason, a lot decide based on popularity, ease, and habit.

I can't hardly find a Democrat who can name 10 Founders, and intelligently discuss American and world history.  As such, these people are swept up in the Democrat movement as they have nothing to reference their belief by in history.  So whatever appeals to their emotions the most, must be truth in their eyes.  Very sad, and most Americans are nearly incapable of being able to figure out what is objective truth.  That is rather frightening.  As the German playwright and philosopher Goethe said, "Nothing is as frightening as ignorance in action".
Bill Kamps Added Feb 17, 2017 - 1:27pm
Ari, the media used to hide things from the voters, "for the good of the country".  Whether it was Wilson and FDR's illnesses, Eisenhower and Kennedy's mistresses, LBJ's massive corruption, Ted Kennedy's problem at Chappaquiddick, the Warren Commission, the reason for the Viet Nam War, the list goes on and on of the things they hid from the voters.

Now we have almost too much "information", or sources of possible information, and the truth may or may not be among the various narratives we hear.  One thing for sure, the media is no longer able to censor and edit the news to their narrative.  This makes them often scream louder, as if that will make more people believe them.

You are correct, it is pointless to blame the media for things, though they do have an impact.  Do you think if they didnt fan the hysteria for the recent immigration executive order, but  instead explained to the voters how the order was limited and necessary, we would have had the same reaction ?  Unfortunately too many people believe the ban was on ALL Muslims, and too many people believe that permanent residents are excluded from coming back to the US, in fact I would  imagine a LOT people think the executive order is still in place.
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 17, 2017 - 1:31pm
MJ:
Please explain to me why you don’t turn the channel?
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 17, 2017 - 1:34pm
Ryan:
I surprises me you like my article because I almost offered it as a comment to you.  The way I see it, our recent submissions are in direct conflict with each other.  Spare me your historical analysis of our founders, our founders did plenty for us to be ashamed about.
MJ Added Feb 17, 2017 - 1:40pm
Actually, I watched the press conference on CNN and the rest followed automatically --no use tuning into Al Jazeera for their views on US matters?
Ryan Messano Added Feb 17, 2017 - 1:41pm
Well, you did it now, now we are going to have to probe your knowledge of the Founders.  Since it is based on media and liberal schools, it is wanting.

IF you haven't read 10 biographies of the Founders, I recommend you don't criticize them.

Because there is a concerted effort to destroy their legacies to separate us from our beginnings.  When we are separated from our foundation, we are easier to destroy.

The media is attacked so viciously by me and others because it stands for the massive American ignorance, corruption, apathy, and indolence. The wrong conclusions they, and you, come to are dangerous.

Inductive and deductive reasoning are skills few Americans employ.  Most of us go along with what our friends, family, and the media say, and refuse to think on our own.  IF standing up for our ideas means losing friends, most Americans haven't got the courage to do it.
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 17, 2017 - 1:43pm
Bill:
I think a lot of deficiencies in the media were resolved with the rise of Fox News.  Regardless, what the media used to be is unimportant to me.  Today it’s diverse and as balanced as you want it to be.  However, I couldn’t disagree more with the notion it’s “no longer able to censor and edit the news to their narrative.”  Did you not read my article?  That’s what the media is, a bunch of entities editing the news to the narrative their consumers want to hear.

As it relates to the immigration protests, I don’t blame the media for the hysteria, I blame the protesters.  I also think it was a highly unnecessary executive order, but not worth protesting over.
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 17, 2017 - 1:44pm
Ryan:
In your article you can blame the media for whatever you like.  In this article I blame those that bitch and don’t turn the channel.
MJ Added Feb 17, 2017 - 1:45pm
Ari, why do you feel 'grumpy"?
Ryan Messano Added Feb 17, 2017 - 1:48pm
So, which ten Founders did you read about, Ari?

If you are going to diss the Founders, you sure as heck better know what you are talking about.
George N Romey Added Feb 17, 2017 - 1:50pm
Ari good article. Sadly with technology people have gotten dumber. We no longer value or teach critical thinking, logic and reason, intellectual curiosity and instinct.  We run our companies solely by big data and spreadsheets and we teach our young people how to take tests.  Therefore no surprise people turn on their channel of choice or log onto their site of choice and take verbatim what is being thrown at them.  Personally I have a wide range of opinions.  I listen to certain people and by no means do I always agree with what they are saying.  However I continue to listen to them because there are things that I am in complete agreement.  When we get away from these ridiculous titles and "isms" people throw around we can actually find solutions to problems.
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 17, 2017 - 1:51pm
MJ:
I don’t feel grumpy, I'm just not much of a sugar-coater.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 17, 2017 - 1:58pm
Watch CNN, BBC, RT, ARD (German) and TF1 (French), and Al-Jazeera and try to find the middle........

You'll never have time to go to work again ;-)
Billy Roper Added Feb 17, 2017 - 4:18pm
I really respect Ari coming to the defense of his fellow Jews in the controlled media. That kind of loyalty is admirable.
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 17, 2017 - 4:36pm
George:
I think people have gotten smarter and disagree with you portraying society as in a state of decline.  In addition, simply by the virtue of the fact we have the option to change the channel, nobody is taking what’s being thrown at them verbatim.  What ridiculous title or “ism” prevents us from finding solutions to problems?
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 17, 2017 - 4:39pm
Stone:
Nobody should spend their time looking for a middle.  By way of example, I choose Fox News.  I’m a huge fan of O’Reilly.
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 17, 2017 - 4:41pm
Billy:
J. Riddle Added Feb 17, 2017 - 7:29pm
"These complaints are ridiculous and I think it stems from a lack of understanding of the simplest of business concepts…the customer is king."

Actually, that notion plays a prominent position in the liberal critique of the press, which is aimed primarily at democratizing mass media. The standard rightist critique, on the other hand, amounts to an endless complaint that the press isn't uniformly credulous rightist propaganda. Pretending as if the two are comparable would defy all reason.

Fake "news" is a real phenomenon and a real problem. It's just that the internet and the rise of far-right media devoted almost entirely to peddling politically motivated fraud and fakery (and, as the latest iteration, a rightist president who slaps the label on anything he doesn't like) has made it much worse.
Bill H. Added Feb 17, 2017 - 8:21pm

Ari - Both Google and Facebook have been heavily involved in social manipulation science for years. And so have some other companies that remain in the black. Actual experiments have been completed proving how well social manipulation technology works, and yes even in some other countries during elections. The technology is being packaged and sold to quite a few corporations at this point.
Go ahead and call it a "conspiracy theory" if you like, but I am well aware as I worked in a sector of the communications industry that was involved with server farms for many internet companies including both Google, Facebook, and many other entities I will not mention.
Do some research and find out for yourself. I assure you that you will not like what you see.
Jeff Michka Added Feb 17, 2017 - 9:13pm
Ari gets "Billied": And it doesn’t surprise me one bit you infused anti-Semitism into this discussion.  Isn’t there a Aryan website for you to get your information?-Billy and other good nazis get their news from the "Gruppenfurhrer Daily News" and now Daryl Kane's "Patriots Revenge."  Somebody needs to take up a collection to buy Billy and Tom Purell a bigger supply of toilet paper to help with their case of "Revenge."
Bill H. Added Feb 17, 2017 - 11:10pm
I don't think they will give any effort to the homework assignment I gave them.
Doug Plumb Added Feb 18, 2017 - 4:09am
I stopped watching mainstream right after 9-11. I could see clearly that it had to be an inside job that day, when the one building collapsed straight down into its own footprint. I really woke up from reading John Perkins and having actual experience with those who practice in the Legal system in my country Canada.
  To have intelligent discussions we must start with out terms and
re "I believe “occupying” was a gross mischaracterization of our presence in Iraq but to the average NBC viewer I’m sure “allied” was the more improper adjective."
  We have occupying forces in Iraq and over 150 other countries around the world. This is not just the USA, but almost all countries under the UN/IMF. We are the collections agents and guardians for the banks. When they don't pay, we bomb them, its why we have such a big armed force."Allied" does not make it any better or right.
  I don't see how you can call an army base in a foreign country as anything else but an occupational force.
Doug Plumb Added Feb 18, 2017 - 4:12am
@ Bill re "Jeff - Ironically, these guys are all the victims of Social Manipulation Technology."

We are all victims of this and other forms of propaganda. We cannot escape it or be unaffected. To believe otherwise is to have your gates open for more attacks. I believe that propaganda is a well defined engineering science that has effected us as much or more than computers and airplanes. Its the single most important and incredible development of the scientific state.
Doug Plumb Added Feb 18, 2017 - 4:19am
If the mainstream media was just fake and all about headlines, we would see headlines like:

"The Money Is Fake - You Do Not Owe Any Income Tax!"

"All Your Assets Are Held In Trust. You Own Nothing!"

"Our Armies And Wars Have All Been By and For The Big Banks!".

"Global Warming is a Farce Based on Rumours and Innuendo's"

That would sell newspapers and be the truth. Truth is why the alternative is outpacing the mainstream. The mainstream will not go into the domain of truth. They are propaganda arms of the Pentagon, which is subservient to the money changers. They are not in it to make money, they only wish to appear that way.
  Many in the alternative can only peek down the rabbit hole, not actually go in. Most people just aren't ready for it and would get scared away.
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 18, 2017 - 7:29am
Riddle:
The far right, the far left and many places between, are equally guilty of peddling fake news.  You thinking “fake news” is something new or just peddled by the right, is just your political bias showing through.
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 18, 2017 - 7:35am
Bill:
How is Facebook showing you stuff you may want to read or buy any different than a newspaper or other media outlet doing the same?

To be sure, it’s scary how much Facebook knows about each of us and I’m sure they use that information to increase their income.  None of that is a surprise to me, nor is it illegal or evidence of a conspiracy.  If anything, I should be the one expressing concern about what the company is capable of doing in regards to social manipulation. After all, Zuckerberg is a pretty strong liberal.  I’m sure behind the scenes he used what he knows about the populace through Facebook for the benefit of the Democratic Party.   Having said that, it’s a free country, he should be free to run his site however he pleases.

Assuming you’re still concerned about media manipulation, what is it you’re suggesting?  My suggestion, no matter what your concern, is to find a media source you respect.
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 18, 2017 - 7:38am
Jeff:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but anti-Semitism is a much bigger problem than just Billy and Tom.  Just the other day, Obama did one of the most anti-Semitic things to the Jews (short of killing them) and the liberal press said nothing negative about it.  Not to mention the fact the international community was right by his side.  Let’s hope Trump sets the record straight that America stands with Israel.
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 18, 2017 - 7:40am
Doug:
Billy Roper Added Feb 18, 2017 - 8:52am
Ari, are you a Semite? If so, are you a Semite linguistically, in that you speak a Semitic language, or a Semite ethnically, in that you are descended from Shem?
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 18, 2017 - 12:22pm
Shot in the own knee. That's the fault of the mainstream media of the last 40 years, especially since 9/11. I'm not surprised. How much anti-Russian and anti-anything the US does not like propaganda we have read in Europe since then ?

Since 9/11 fake news by the mass media is agenda. It's all enemy building and started all with Powell and his WMD in Iraq.

When the press wouldn't have become so biased in favor of a small warmongering and corporate elite but would have stayed neutral (I'm not even talking of PC) Breitbart and Trump would not have been possible.

A counter-balance was needed.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 18, 2017 - 12:24pm
Ari

9/11 WAS an inside job ? Why ? Because without it the wars in the ME couldn't have been justified to the public. Get that ?
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 18, 2017 - 12:25pm
BTW: For your pleasure: Dream on - Nazareth - 1972. Nice song :-)
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Feb 18, 2017 - 12:29pm
Trump sets the record straight that America stands with Israel.

I hope so too. Make ONE state and integrate the Gaza Strip and the rest into it. Legalize ALL people to be part of Israel and that's it. Same rights - no discrimination.

But then....there would be too many Arabs in there, right ?

And you guys criticize us Europeans when we want to stop immigrating hard-core Muslims ?

My oh my.....

J. Riddle Added Feb 18, 2017 - 12:50pm
"The far right, the far left and many places between, are equally guilty of peddling fake news.  You thinking 'fake news' is something new or just peddled by the right, is just your political bias showing through."

No, that "equally guilty" is horseshit, the sort of false equivalence that has been killing journalism for years. Unlike the far right, the "far left" in the U.S. has no major media outlet and can, in fact, barely even get any news coverage at all (unless it does something outrageous). That, along, defeats the equivalence assertion. Everyone has their nuts. The left relegates them to marginal figures, whereas the right gives them a nationwide platform.

But what I was addressing is the critique of media offered by the left and the right, which aren't comparable either. You'd said neither understood that "customer is king" idea but you're entirely wrong. The liberal and left critiques of the press--offered over the years by, for example, Fairness & Accuracy In Reporting, Ben Bagdikian, Eric Alterman, Project Censored, Noam Chomsky, Media Matters, etc.--do take account of that. They, in fact, identify it as a major problem.
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 20, 2017 - 6:32am
Stone:
I have one ground rule when debating others over the internet.  Ignore the crazy ones.  Those that believe 9/11 was an inside job are crazy.
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 20, 2017 - 6:40am
Riddle:

“Unlike the far right, the "far left" in the U.S. has no major media outlet and can, in fact, barely even get any news coverage at all (unless it does something outrageous).”

Horseshit.  For starters, there is no major media outlet that caters to the far right or the far left.  Up until the arrival of Fox News, the left has controlled all the major media outlets.  So you get plenty of news coverage, we have one major station and one major newspaper, after that is AM radio and the internet.

Whoever said the customer being king is a major problem? It’s a fact of life, get over it.  Some customers like their reporting fair and balanced and others have no interest in stories that harm their respective political philosophy.  By way of example, one of the strongest critics of Trump was Fox News.  You’d be hard pressed to find stories on the major networks critical of prominent Democrats. They also completely dismiss stories that hurt the Democratic Party.
Bill Kamps Added Feb 20, 2017 - 7:23am
Ari, the point is the media USED to control the story, it can no longer because we can get a lot of information without the media.  Videos from cell phones now can challenge the media account of what happened, this could not happen in the 1960s.  Sure the media can try to slant the news however they wish, but some teenager with a phone is all that is necessary to provide an alternative source.

So yes, there are many sources of media information, and there are informal sources of information as well.  Whether one believes Wikileaks, or various blogs, or the information here in WB, the internet abounds with sources of possible information.  It of course is up to the consumer what to believe.

I think where the media fails the most is providing context for things.  They try to ramp up hysteria when it is not necessary.  Remember the Ebola "outbreak" where one or two people died ?  people were wiping down airplanes with bleach, even though Ebola is not transmitted from some contact.  Remember the bird flu "outbreak" of a few years ago, when schools were being closed because children had the flu.  Children always get the flu, and 3,000 people a month die from the flu, that is normal, that is not what the media portrayed.

Having said that, I will say YES, it is not the media's fault how we react to the stories.  It is up to us to determine what to do about what  they report.  We need to educate ourselves so we know if five or six people die from the flu one day, that is normal, not a repeat of the Spanish flu of 1918.
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 20, 2017 - 7:30am
Bill:
I agree with everything you wrote.  I guess the question is whether the hysteria was caused by the media or not.  If you agree that the media is just providing the stories we want to hear, than we only have ourselves to blame for getting hysterical.
Billy Roper Added Feb 20, 2017 - 7:52am
Yes, and in 1984, people are only told what they want to hear by IngSoc, too. LOL SMH
Mike Haluska Added Feb 20, 2017 - 8:49am
Here's what I have seen for the past 18 months.  A Mainstream Media that was in the Tank for Hillary Clinton and the Democrats far beyond their usual bias such as:
-  Publishing stolen 20 year old tax returns of Trump
-  Donna Brazille giving the Debate questions to Hillary
-  Publishing and promoting ANYONE who came forth with a negative claim about Trump while sheltering the Clintons from women abused by BOTH of them
-  Constantly stating that Trump has NO CHANCE in the Electoral College
-  Publishing ridiculously biased "Polls" showing Hillary Clinton with a 97% of winning the election
Failing to report or show the size and scale of Trump rallies while ignoring the abysmal failure of Hillary Clinton rallies
ignoring the entire email scandal, only commenting to minimize it
-  trying to fool the public into believing that Trump was working with the Russian government to sway the election
-  causing hysteria that Trump won't accept the election results (look who's being hypocritical now!)

The Democratic Party and Mainstream Media are having a hissy-fit over the Russians trying to "sway the election" . . .  WHAT THE HELL HAS THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA BEEN TRYING TO DO FOR OVER 18 MONTHS?????

Trump is correct - the Mainstream Media is NOT doing its job and is trying to destroy our democracy by its biased, unfair and illegal reporting in an attempt to install and keep a single political party in office permanently!  The Mainstream Media ought to consolidate and rename itself something more accurate - like "PRAVADA"!!!
Bill Kamps Added Feb 20, 2017 - 8:52am
Ari, well true it is kind of a symbiotic relationship with the media and the citizens. The media vies for ratings and the more sensational the story the better the ratings.  At least with the National Enquirer, people know it is just entertaining nonsense, at least most people do.

An Ebola "outbreak" that traumatizes the country gets viewers, while one or two sick people is kind of a yawner.

Where the media fails is giving us context, because that is not always easy for the average person to acquire on their own, though with Google is it much easier now than 30 years ago.  People are busy, and we shouldnt have to fact check what we hear on the news, but that is the case.

As with most things, the fault lies not in our stars, but in ourselves.
Stephen Hunter Added Feb 20, 2017 - 9:58am
Good article Ari, and I think understanding the media does simply boil down to ratings, not the search for the truth in the rubble of reality, as many so believe.
In a recent post, Stone provided this link to a former CIA agent, who recommends that Trump to establish his own media network out of the Whitehouse. Not as whacko an idea as it sounds.....

Mike Haluska Added Feb 20, 2017 - 11:28am
For 18 months the Mainstream Media has been in the tank for Hillary Clinton and the Dems, doing everything possible to secure her election. It is the height of hypocrisy that the Mainstream Media is looking for evidence that Trump colluded with Russia to "influence the election".  I can hear the collective Mainstream Media bitching:

"Russia trying to influence the outcome of an American election?
                                    THAT'S OUR FRAKKIN' JOB!!!
Bill H. Added Feb 20, 2017 - 11:48am
We should allow Trump to establish his own media network?
Wow! Those who believe this are prime targets towards the establishment of a Dictatorship.
Those who support this may be better off simply moving to Russia or another country where a powerful Dictatorship has been in-place for a long time.
You will certainly feel very comfortable in that you can be constantly told what is right and wrong and what to believe.
Life will be so simple!! No need to think or reason anymore!
Stephen Hunter Added Feb 20, 2017 - 11:55am
Bill, I am not saying I am in favor of it, especially with the man at the helm now. But if you listen to the theory on how it could work to our advantage, by filtering out the facts, and eliminating bias, I think this technology exists today. The problem that needs to be solved is how do we know for sure who sets the criteria in the machine.
Bill H. Added Feb 20, 2017 - 12:01pm

I think the machine would work fine, but at this point, it's like putting nitro methane into a lawnmower!
Mike Haluska Added Feb 20, 2017 - 12:22pm
Bill H - where is your "outrage" about the Mainstream Media being owned lock, stock and barrel by the Democratic Party???  Ever see the list of Mainstream Media that are literally MARRIED to top officials of the Democratic Party?  There's an even bigger list of Mainstream Media that are dating/sleeping with Dems.

So cut your phony outrage and start opening your eyes to the obvious.
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 20, 2017 - 2:01pm
Bill Kamps:
The problem I have with our society is that even when news outed for being fake, overly sensational or just plain biased, we don’t turn the channel.  So, not to be a broken record, the problem isn't with the media, it's with us.
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 20, 2017 - 2:09pm
Stephen:
“The question moving forward is, how do we establish a medium where the mission statement is seeking the truth? (as opposed to making a profit)”

I disagree, first, between television, the internet, radio and newspapers, we don’t need more mediums.  Second, I’m perfectly content with my preferred media providers and I bet you’re happy with yours.  Otherwise we would both change the channel.  All this bitching about the media, stems from what others are choosing.  It’s hypocrisy on a level I didn’t even thing about when I wrote this article.  Third, nobody would knowingly choose a station that delivers lies.  Besides, it’s not about the truth where all this bitching originates, it’s about the analysis of the news.  Fourth, profit is the only way any media company keeps the lights on.
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 20, 2017 - 2:11pm
Mike:
If the mainstream media wasn’t in the tank for Hillary, who would watch them?  How will all those anchors, reporters and sound guys feed their family if people didn’t watch?  THE CUSTOMER IS KING…capiche
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 20, 2017 - 2:15pm
Bill:
I agree, the president, like the rest of society, should be free to bitch about the media when they mess-up.  However, as president he’s a news maker and that doesn’t mean he also gets to provide the news via some filter.  So it’s a terrible idea.
Mike Haluska Added Feb 20, 2017 - 2:21pm
Ari - if what you say is true, why does Fox News ratings blow all of the other news channels out of the water - it's not even close!!!  Trump isn't "filtering the news" - he is demanding that the Mainstream Media do their job in a fair, objective manner.  According to the polls, he's way out in front of them when it comes to credibility and trustworthiness.  Like what he says or not, you have to give him credit for doing what he promised!
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 20, 2017 - 2:31pm
Mike:
Let’s not divulge into another Trump discussion.  The reason Fox News blows the others out of the water is because it’s the only mainstream conservative outlet and they do a good job.  Seeing that it’s only available on cable, one could argue it’s not even mainstream.  For whatever it’s worth, Fox News is equally incredible and untrustworthy as all the others according to that poll.  To be sure, it’s good politics to blame the media, but I don’t agree with Trump, I blame us.
Mike Haluska Added Feb 20, 2017 - 3:08pm
Ari - Fox NEWS does a good job reporting the news.  The left always accuses the FOX OPINION shows of being biased - which they are by definition and don't purport themselves to be anything but editorial.  That's the big difference between Fox News and the Mainstream Media.
Mike Haluska Added Feb 20, 2017 - 3:09pm
Ari - if Fox News moved over to non-cable broadcast (which really doesn't exist anymore) how well do you think they would fare?
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 20, 2017 - 3:52pm
Mike:
With more families pulling the cable plug by the day, Fox News would crank on a non-cable station.  Please keep mind, it is your and my opinion that Fox does a good job of reporting the news and that their editorial work is separate from their hard news reporting.  The Left thinks otherwise.
Bill H. Added Feb 20, 2017 - 3:58pm

So be the reason for Fox's high ratings.
This has been proven with viewership data year after year from both Nielsen and cable set-top box tuning data which is constantly compared with actual demographic data.
Doug Plumb Added Feb 20, 2017 - 4:01pm
Ari:
re "Doug:
9/11 wasn’t an inside job.  However, I’m quite sure others agree with your fake news. "

What is the real news ? The news that a measurement and standards body (NIST) conducted an investigation (the fire marshall wasn't allowed on site, evidence destroyed before investigation) that they were not qualified for nor explained the evidence. What do you base your beliefs on 9-11 on?
  How about NIST admitting that wtc 7 collapsed at free-fall speed and that they have no explanation for that?
  Only truth can bring about peace because miscommunication and misunderstandings are the root of all wars (Locke)
Mike Haluska Added Feb 20, 2017 - 4:33pm
Bill H - your explanation:

"Certainly Fox news is highly rated. Mainly because they have a dedicated audience who will absolutely watch no other news source whatsoever, and they also have many viewers from the "Left" who are actually curious to keep up on "How will the Right spin this one?", or "What is the Right's reasoning for this?".

requires a response that actually makes sense.  There is NOTHING you said that doesn't directly apply to viewers of "Non-Fox" News!  Conservatives can't help but be inundated with mainstream media news - it's on every other channel!  Now tell me how the Mainstream Media was TOTALLY OBJECTIVE during the last election when they:

1) had Donna Brazille feeding debate questions to Hillary
2) granted Hillary editorial rights to any articles on her
4) printed a 20 year old STOLEN TAX RETURN of Trump
5) called Trump's 10 year old son a soon-to-be psycho-murderer
6) ignored Bill Clinton meeting secretly with the Attorney General while his wife was under federal investigation
7) stood by an let Hillary delay responding to a subpoena for her emails for over a year
8) accused Trump's wife of being a whore prior to meeting Trump (can't even imagine the shit storm the mainstream media would have generated if Fox News did that to Michelle Obama)
9) try to get some Russian hacking blown up into Trump and Russians collaborating to influence the outcome of the election . . .

WHICH IS RICH SINCE ALL THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA HAS DONE FOR THE PAST 18 MONTHS IS TRY AND INFLUENCE THE RESULTS OF THE ELECTION IN FAVOR OF HILLARY CLINTON!!!
Bill H. Added Feb 20, 2017 - 4:45pm

But it is very true that dedicated Fox News viewers will rarely, if ever, stray from watching Fox News.
And neither Fox, nor CNN, nor MSNBC, or any other news source is totally objective all of the time.
Be glad that (at least for the time being) we have news sources that are free to cover then news in any way they see fit.
People should not let the news tell them what is right, they should seek news from all possible sources and decide on their own.
If Fox was the only game in town, then we would be in an iron-clad Dictatorship for sure!
Mike Haluska Added Feb 20, 2017 - 4:49pm
Bill H - I have NO PROBLEM with a network just bold-face lying if they want to.  I do have a problem with a network doing exactly what I described in my post above and calling themselves a NEWS network staffed with legit journalists!

Now, are you going to refute any of what I posted or admit I'm right about the Mainstream Media trying to influence the outcome of the election and failing that, they are now trying to overthrow the results of a legitimate election???  You can't have it both ways!!!
Bill H. Added Feb 20, 2017 - 6:47pm

Maybe the "mainstream" knew something?
Time will tell.
Jeff Michka Added Feb 20, 2017 - 7:49pm
Mikey Haluska screams: 2) granted Hillary editorial rights to any articles on her
3) ignored anything negative with Hillary and obliviated over anything negative on Trump - Who "granted Hillary editorial "rights?"  WAPO, NYT, CNN? And why was Clinton continually in the news with every little "drip, drip" "she's always dishonest" constant presence that stoked your Clinton hate derangement to near fatal levels?  Trump got camera every time he opened his anal puckered little mouth, respective of what he said.  And how are the gaffs of Donald Trump the "media's responsibility?"  You're still suffering from Clinton hate-derangement syndrome and now read just deranged, Clinton having maybe something to do with it or not.  Election is over.  The Orange clown got the job.  Live with it that's he's not qualified, and just plays a president of the United States on TV.  Bill H codas: Maybe the "mainstream" knew something? Time will tell. Like when the first silly, foolish Clinton Staffer publicly said Clinton had the election in the bag and they reported it.  That signal meant Clinton was going to lose the election, IMO.  Ultimately disasterous political campaign assumption to make, assuring failure in any election.  Money went on Trump.  March 2016.
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 20, 2017 - 8:18pm
Bill:
Thinking a Fox viewer is uninterested in other news sources whereas viewers of liberal networks have an open mind, proves my point.  We all don’t think very highly of those that disagree with our politics.  So when we bitch about the media we’re really bitching about the media others choose and not our own.
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 20, 2017 - 8:19pm
Mike:
Did you really think you’re going to convince a liberal that liberal news is flawed?  There are some people in the middle that you may reach, I would focus my efforts on them.
Bill H. Added Feb 20, 2017 - 11:53pm

Just sayin - virtually ALL of the people that I know personally that watch FOX news would never stray to the "liberal" networks for any reason, especially to see what "the other side" is saying.
But yet many of even the diehard viewers of MSNBC do tune into FOX to try and get a feel of what "the other side" is thinking.
Myself, I am all over multiple sources, mostly on TV and shortwave. I do check the WSJ and BBC on the internet, but avoid the other internet sources for obvious reasons.
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 21, 2017 - 9:14am
Bill:
Again, it doesn’t surprise me that a liberal like yourself would think so poorly of conservative open-mindedness.  Just sayin’

On the subject of why Fox's ratings are so high even with liberals, look no further than Obama and Trump who both frequently mention Fox News in their speeches.  Not to mention the fact that Fox’s ratings are far and above stronger than every other news station, making their reporting more salient than the Podunk websites and television stations one could get their news and analysis from.   Finally, liberals love to target Fox (Faux) News, whereas conservatives mainly target mainstream media.  For all these reasons, it makes total sense that Fox News should be watched, no matter what side of the political aisle you fall.
Mike Haluska Added Feb 21, 2017 - 9:38am
Bill H - your admission:

"I believe we had a "mainstream media" trying to tilt the election one way, and the Russians trying to tilt it the other way.   Maybe the "mainstream" knew something?"

is just pure rationalization, typical of the left.  The Mainstream Media wasn't "trying to tilt" the election - they were shoving it with all of their might!  You can't just admit what they did and continue to do is wrong and often illegal because the Democrats benefit.  PRAVDA, Bill - that's what we are dealing with.  If you're fine with that, so be it.
Cliff M. Added Feb 21, 2017 - 11:24am
The print media has become just as bad if not worse than the talking heads. I do not know how many times I have found which I thought were interesting topics nothing more than a wild goose chase in search of the original topic. I now have a one click policy. If the title issue does not come to light after one click I'm gone.
J. Riddle Added Feb 21, 2017 - 1:13pm
"virtually ALL of the people that I know personally that watch FOX news would never stray to the 'liberal' networks for any reason"

And the big problem with that is that Fox is a propaganda outlet that barely even pretends to be a news source. Like most right-wing media, it's confirmation bias as commerce and surveys going back years have consistently shown that its viewers are among the most misinformed of news consumers. In at least one, people who say they watch no news at all scored better than the Fox viewers.

"especially to see what 'the other side' is saying."

Fox already presents them with the caricature version of "the other side." They have a cadre of fake "liberals" they use to stage phony "debates" on their shows. Now, in Fox's defense--if this can be said to be a defense--Fox picked up that habit from the rest of the mainstream press, which, up until a few years ago, had a fairly strict no-liberals-allowed policy and any "debate" pitted reactionary bomb-throwers against mushy moderates, standing in for "liberals." And there's still a lot of that but that's one area wherein the corporate press has radically improved in recent years. On the news talk shows now, you will often find liberal participants included in the roundtable discussions. This really only began to happen, though, part of the way through the Bush Jr. administration.

"But yet many of even the diehard viewers of MSNBC do tune into FOX to try and get a feel of what 'the other side' is thinking."

Failing to do so would not only leave one uninformed, it would feel unsafe. Consumers of Fox, like consumers of other far-right media, tend to act like robots. One can't participate in any online discussion of public affairs without seeing this (it's all over this article and the responses to it). It's prudent to regularly take a peek into the data-stream with which they're being programmed.
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 21, 2017 - 4:09pm
Mike:
What has the mainstream media done that’s often illegal?  I think you need to get over the fact that no matter what you say, people like Bill will never agree with you.  It’s like anti-Trump protesting, it doesn’t matter what he does, there are those that stand ready and willing to oppose his every move.
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 21, 2017 - 4:14pm
Cliff:
Even on a stellar publication like the WSJ, sometimes one has to read more than the title to get the gist of the article.
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 21, 2017 - 4:19pm
Riddle:
Please share with me the survey that proves most right-wing media consumers are the most misinformed of news consumers.

As it relates to the accusation that the liberals on Fox News are fake liberals, who appointed you the decider of fake versus real liberals?

As for me, while I enjoy a good debate now and again, I wish Fox gave liberals less air time.  Whenever they speak, they insult my intelligence.  Kind of like the silly discussion I'm having with you right now.
George N Romey Added Feb 21, 2017 - 6:41pm
There are some MSM journalist I respect.  I like Tucker Carlson.  He plays it straight and is honest.  I like Ed Schultz.  I like Richard Quest on CNN.  However some of them like Chris Matthews are full of crap.
Doug Plumb Added Feb 21, 2017 - 6:57pm
  I think that to judge any media source you have to know the subject matter in a great degree of depth then hear what they say about it, judge character from that. Rarely does mainstream exhibit any kind of character - in Canada, CBC did a half decent job of covering the 9-11 truth point of view, they also aired an hour long show about AGW being a scam. The CBC (Crown operated) is a red brainwashing organization but often show more truth than corporate mainstream.
  I do not trust the establishment media and their coverage of 9-11 and AGW shows them to be untrustworthy. You only need to point to a liar once. (I have a great deal of knowledge on 9-11 and some on AGW)
  I go to commentary like Robert Steele, Catherine Austin Fitts, Paul Craig Roberts, Henry Makow, - those are just the ones I can think of off my head.
  I wouldn't trust mainstream media for anything, nor the large outlets online. For instance Stephan Molyneux is an anarchist, a foolish position. So I don't trust him.
  Fitts has been associated with the "aliens invading or whatever" group, they are crackpots. So its hard to know what to believe or who to trust.
wsucram15 Added Feb 21, 2017 - 7:49pm
Ari..Im not sure there isnt biased news.  I tried to watch various news shows and found them all to have some issues, particularly with things I have seen myself.
Fox recently showed  clip of the riot on inauguration day and was talking about the Washington dc womens protests in January, there wasnt a riot anywhere.
Likewise, I have seen some biased questioned on  CNN and MSNBC.

Bill H. Added Feb 21, 2017 - 8:35pm
No Mike - You would actually want PRAVDA by only having Fox News as a source. It would be ideal to have non-biased sources, but that won't happen in this day and age. We need to have alternative views, but I think the best we will do these days is views from both "sides".
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 22, 2017 - 8:19am
Wsucrm15:
Nobody I know disputes the notion that the media is biased.  That’s Trump’s main beef with the media too, bias reporting against him.  My article makes the point that we need to change the channel and stop bitching, if we dislike the media for any reason.  Do you have any proof to the assertion that Fox News showed clips of rioting on inauguration day and made it appear like they were riots related to the women’s march?
Mike Haluska Added Feb 22, 2017 - 10:47am
Bill H - you make a false assumption that:

"You would actually want PRAVDA by only having Fox News as a source. It would be ideal to have non-biased sources, but that won't happen in this day and age."

I want multiple, objective sources of news and editorial content and perspective from anyone willing to express themselves.  You don't see myself or other conservatives showing up to protest/disrupt/riot at events featuring "progressive" speakers - that activity is the exclusive province of the Democratic Party.

Newspapers and other news outlets used to report the news after first doing extensive due diligence - nowadays the mainstream media's criteria for running with a story is "will it embarrass Trump and/or Republicans"?  Truth or credibility doesn't matter because they think that by running the story constantly, people will just assume it's true.

I don't want Fox News or any other entity having a monopoly on the news, nor do I want a 1 party system.  I don't trust EITHER PARTY with unchecked control - but that is what will inevitably result if sane, responsible Democrats don't regain control of the Democratic Party from the left/progressives.  They will continue to drift into a radical fringe and the Democratic Party will see its already abysmal current participation rate of 22% slip to single digits.
Mike Haluska Added Feb 22, 2017 - 10:50am
Bill H - if you watch Fox News regular NEWS programming, you will get a "fair and balanced" report on ALL news.  Their OPINION programming (O'Reilly, Hannity, etc.) doesn't pretend to be unbiased.
Bill H. Added Feb 22, 2017 - 5:21pm
Mike - I do watch Fox news, along with CNN, MSNBC, and BBC.
Fox during the non-opinion segments does cover much of the news happenings, but they certainly do omit many news items that may not be favorable to their leanings, as does the other news sources.
Fox is also very good at manipulating real stories via deletions of facts, editing of video footage, and taking things out of context to make stories more "newsworthy" to their dedicated audience.
I know you are going to respond that this is true with other sources.
Yes, to a point, but nowhere even remotely close to Fox's practices.

Doug Plumb Added Feb 22, 2017 - 6:27pm
re "Bill H - if you watch Fox News regular NEWS programming, you will get a "fair and balanced" report on ALL news.  "

I like how they exposed, on 9-11, WTC7 as being a 3rd building that collapsed when no one else mentioned it 8-) Yeah, Fox is the one to trust...
Doug Plumb Added Feb 22, 2017 - 6:28pm
I really liked how the BBC was able to report the collapse of WTC 7 20 minutes before it had collapsed. There is some real reporting for you.
wsucram15 Added Feb 23, 2017 - 12:06am
Ari..I sent a complaint to Fox about the coverage and also both anchors (there were two men) on set reporting on other items. My BF said there was a girl, but I don't remember her, just the guys talking.  I was just checking media coverage on the woman's march on January 21, 2017 when I got home.  They didn't say much about it which I thought was weird.
I was flipping on all the cable news channels and got back to Fox, and they were talking about Trump so I stopped because they were talking about him so glaringly and I was surprised. Shortly thereafter, they showed the video for the inauguration riot and started talking about the Womans march on DC.  I just thought..wow, I have heard bad things about this channel, but I was just in a sea of 750k to a million people in DC and they reported it and showed a riot. WOW.
I dont usually watch news channels.  I watch Cspan and historical channels, Smithsonian channel.
I just happened to be in the march and wanted to see what it looked like looking at it from the outside, how big it really was.  People showed me pictures on their phones of the crowds but I had no idea until I got home except for getting squashed.

Ari Silverstein Added Feb 23, 2017 - 9:30am
Bill:
Can we at least agree that it is your opinion that Fox News omits many news items that may not be favorable to conservatives and that they manipulate stories?  It is my opinion and Mike’s opinion they report fairly and don’t manipulate stories.  Once again, everyone’s beef with the media is focused on what others choose to watch and not our own media choices.  In other words, we’re all hypocrites and we should stop faulting the media.
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 23, 2017 - 9:43am
Wsucram15:
You’re actually guilty of the same false/bias reporting that many accuse the mainstream media of doing.  Let’s rehash, you made sound like they showed a clip of a riot on inauguration day and made it appear like the riot occurred during the women’s march.  I challenged you and you recanted your original story and now say they had a conversation about the women’s march following the airing of a video clip of the riot.  In other words, you intentionally misled people about the tactics of Fox News.

As it relates to the women’s march, if those women really cared about women’s issues they would have marched on a different day.  It was so blatantly an anti-Trump rally that it makes complete sense to link the march with Inauguration Day protests.  Obviously one set of protests was violent and the other wasn’t, but they were protesting the same thing, so they have a lot in common with each other as Fox accurately reported and CNN misreported.
Mike Haluska Added Feb 23, 2017 - 10:30am
I can't wait for Project Veritas to release HUNDREDS OF HOURS of videotape showing CNN news anchors, reporters, staff discussing how they are going to destroy the Trump Administration by any means necessary.

George N Romey Added Feb 23, 2017 - 2:26pm
The issue I see is that you get a mix of good news and also bias, embellishments, and pure bs.  One needs to be well informed enough to know the real from the fake.  Not all people have the time or desire to spend time on politically oriented web sites like WB or time watching alternative shows on YouTube.  They get their news in bits and pieces often taking what is given as verbatim.
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 24, 2017 - 8:06am
George:
It should be considered accepted fact that all news is biased.  It’s simply impossible for any human to be 100% objective.  It should also be an accepted fact that biased news can also be well-done and informative.  I don’t understand what all the hoopla is about fake news.  I see it as a dangerous slippery slope where liberals accuse outfits like Fox News of producing fake news and vice versa.
George N Romey Added Feb 24, 2017 - 9:14am
Yesterday I was watching a rerun from January of Lionel Nation on Youtube.  Lionel used to do a local newscast in NYC and now has his own Youtube channel; he is very smart and honest. So this episode was the day Mary Tyler Moore died back in January and his point was that television used to be funny without being overly vulgar.  He also made another good point, Ted Baxter would do very well today on cable news.
Mike Haluska Added Feb 24, 2017 - 9:49am
Ari - I agree that we all have a bias, but many professionals put their personal bias aside to their job.  Umpires may have grown up Cubs fans, but when they're behind the plate calling balls & strikes, 99.9% of them make the calls without weighing in the effect of the call on the Cubs' chances of winning.

But this situation is much more serious than simple bias on the press.  When government employees charged with handling sensitive information (classified or not) start leaking information with the obvious intent to harm someone else in government - that is a felony.  There is a concerted effort by the establishment of both parties and the entrenched bureaucracy to blatantly overthrow the election results.
Mike Haluska Added Feb 24, 2017 - 10:10am
I know someone is going to retort about "whistle blowing".  Even if there is something that should be brought to light, there is a proper channel and procedure for doing so - and it certainly isn't running to the NY Times.  If a person follows the "whistle blower" procedure, they are guaranteed that they will not lose their job.
Ari Silverstein Added Feb 25, 2017 - 7:06am
Mike:
Calling balls and strikes fairly is different.  Take the example of what to call our troops in Iraq.  The term “coalition forces” makes it sound like there was a coalition of countries.  That was never the case, whatever support other countries made was miniscule compared to the amount we contributed to the effort.  Same for “occupying forces,” there was never a desire to occupy Iraq.  So bias can find its way into hard news even with a fair and balanced reporter.  I haven’t even mentioned news analysis and commentary.

The Flynn story is another great example.  On Fox News the fact a private citizen’s conversations were being taped and then leaked is the story.  On CNN the story is the fact that he was the scapegoat and that Trump should be impeached.

For the record, I couldn’t disagree more with your statement “There is a concerted effort by the establishment of both parties and the entrenched bureaucracy to blatantly overthrow the election results.”  I think that’s just your anti-establishment/Republican bias speaking.
Mike Haluska Added Feb 28, 2017 - 12:02pm
Ari -

I just call 'em like I see 'em!  In your "Flynn" example, Fox News was FACTUALLY CORRECT.  CNN's report was CONJECTURE based on ASSUMPTION sprinkled with SUPPOSITION.
Joe Chiang Added Feb 28, 2017 - 3:49pm
There is a difference between fact and spin.  Left:  I know one Muslim who is peaceful, so all Muslims are peaceful => spin.  Right:  I know one Muslim who is a terrorist, so all Muslims are terrorists => spin.  Impartial survey:  Most Muslims, according to at least one survey I have seen, believe what the terrorists' organizations are doing is in Allah's will. (Survey's do show most Muslims do not consider what the terrorists do bad).
I have to tell you about some personal history.  I was born in Washington DC, the biggest originator of fake news.  My father was a White House News Corespondent.  He and I attended a demonstration in front of the White House.  A Channel 7 "News" truck pulled up and the reporter pulled out some signs that had NOTHING to do with the demonstration, passed them out, did his report, collected the signs back up and left.  That night watching the news, I saw the report, but it was so different from what was really going on, I thought it was a different demonstration I thought I had missed until the very end.  Then I realized it was actually the very same demonstration I had attended.  That was 50 years ago and the media is MUCH worse now than it was then.

Ari Silverstein Added Mar 1, 2017 - 8:11am
Mike:
That’s entirely my point, you see them through the spectacles of someone that likes Trump and dislikes liberals.  It's a fact that Flynn lied about his interactions with Russia and it’s also factually correct that it’s within the government’s right to monitor the phone calls of private citizens if they are having private conversations with Russian governmental officials. That being said, I agree with you.
Ari Silverstein Added Mar 1, 2017 - 8:11am
Joe:
Was there something I said to make you think I wasn’t aware of the differences between fact and spin?
Joe Chiang Added Mar 1, 2017 - 1:34pm
@Ari.  No, just my two cents worth.  I do think there are readers that get the two confused.  Certainly the general public gets them confused as do reporters.