Scrotum and other funny words

I think scrotum has to be the funniest word in the English language. If someone had told me as a kid that I had a scrotum, I'd want to do something about it. It sounds diseased.

Okay, so the fact that it has a sexual context adds to the humor.

In Latin it means to shred. That just makes it worse.

What about snickersnee? That's a great word to throw into a conversation about cutlery.

Tell someone that a hippo is a hydro-phallic animal and watch them laugh. Sorry, the proper word is hydro-philic.

I heard someone use the term, factually challenged, the other day. Aren't we all?

Usufruct is my favorite. It means to be able to use the fruit. My wife hated the word when I'd ask her to usufruct me. The full definition is more complicated and legalistic.

This is all I got for today after writing the next installment of my novel on my Facebook site. I'm pooped.

What words do you think are funny?

Comments

mark henry smith Added Mar 11, 2017 - 2:32pm
Another day, diurnal. Don't you just wanna spell it diurinal?
Jeffry Gilbert Added Mar 11, 2017 - 10:21pm
Okay, so the fact that it has a sexual context adds to the humor.

How so? An anatomical description is asexual.
mark henry smith Added Mar 12, 2017 - 2:50pm
No, Jeffry, anatomical descriptions can definitely have a sexual component. It's all in the treatment. Such as if I say the word sphincter to you. If you asked me define sphincter I could tell you that it is a muscle that can squeeze the crap out of things, a ring of smooth, muscular tissue, usually connected to glands that release slick juices allowing the sphincter to be able to expand easily around objects passing through it and contract to release them, in the best of all possible worlds.

But every time I hear the word, I think I'm about to be confronted with a riddle. Let's allow words to be funny even if we aren't.

I'm slightly bored with WriterBeat and disappointed. I've got a lot on my plate to take care of. Once the lawyers get their teeth on something, like copyright infringement, it's like sharks with chum. Chum is another funny word. It can be a friend or bait.
Lady Sekhmetnakt Added Mar 12, 2017 - 6:10pm
Snickerdoodle = funny word.
Jeffry Gilbert Added Mar 13, 2017 - 9:05am
fussbudget
mark henry smith Added Mar 13, 2017 - 1:59pm
Ah, thank you Jenifer and Jeffry

Words are my pile of rocks from which I try to build foundations.

A word I heard yesterday was scintilla. Love it. Now I'll go have lunch with a snickerdoodle and try not to be a fussbudget, but my current situation sort of requires a degree of frugality. What I will doe when this era of forced restraint ends is smoke a loco-foco, my ex-wife's favorite funny word.

Recent Articles by Writers mark henry smith follows.