My Response To My Senator Concerning the Budget

Mr. Lankford

I realize that there must be cuts in the budget. It seems unjust that every place there are cuts, you can tell me we most, there is duplication, fraud and abuse. But pay no attention to that military behind the curtain. I served in the military, do you know of any other more wasteful organization in the world other then the Pentagon. We spend a bunch of money on equipment that only breaks, to only be fixed, and those repairs are often way expensive.

I hear rumor that the military is in disrepair. Certainly not because we haven’t thrown enough money at it. Where could we possibly come up with more money, oh, I don’t know, 800 bases around the world come to mind.

Fiscal responsibility. Lets not spend more than we have to protect a nation of poor people, growing broke. We voted for Trump to fix this and this is not what we expected.

Sincerely

Roger Harkness

Comments

George N Romey Added Mar 31, 2017 - 1:44pm
So in other words rather than fix an agency and eliminate (and prosecute) abuses the idea is to defund the agency.  However, never the military.  If you wanted to know whether Trump would be true to his word once in office by now you have your answer.  Should have been Bernie.
Minister Peaceful Poet Added Mar 31, 2017 - 1:55pm
The military gets a blank check, no questions asked. Everyone else however can be responsible.

Bill H. Added Mar 31, 2017 - 3:01pm
Trump was out to virtually eliminate the EPA and any functions in other government agencies that were remotely related to curbing global warming so as to grant the wishes of his Big Oil buddies from day one.
Ric Wells Added Mar 31, 2017 - 3:06pm
John G Added Mar 31, 2017 - 3:37pm
Balancing the 'budget' would cause a recession. Deficit spending is required but it would be better directed at job creation.
Military spending is waste.
Dino Manalis Added Mar 31, 2017 - 5:31pm
The budget has to be lean and smart with expert advice, not politics, and not harmful to the economy or the poor.  Military spending should depend on relations with Russia and China, hopefully better, to restore world peace and stability  Entitlements have to be adjusted.  While early retirement should gradually climb to 64, the Medicare eligibility age, like Social Security, ought to gradually be elevated to 67.  There's no free lunch for anyone, even Medicaid recipients have to pay something for it.  It has to be done right, President Clinton said deficit reduction in the Nineties helped augment prosperity.
John G Added Mar 31, 2017 - 5:34pm

Those Clinton surpluses led to a recession then years of exploding private debt and the resulting GFC.

A government surplus is a non-government deficit. You can't defeat the maths.
Stephen Hunter Added Apr 1, 2017 - 9:25am
By keeping the population fearful;
1)the military/industrial complex will just keep on chugging, thank-you very much.
2) we will continue to rape the planet for short term jobs and rack it up as "survival". (Fossil Fuels folks say thank-you very much)
and the list goes on.....
The Trump voters are very paranoid people. The "Elite" are licking their chops.
Minister Peaceful Poet Added Apr 1, 2017 - 10:09am
Stephen - I agree with you, except, I voted for Trump because I was convinced, and still am convinced, it would have been worse with Hillary.  Trump is going to war with the unelected government (deep state) and that's a good thing.  But, he's creating his own rules to benefit the capitalists and not the people, that's a bad thing.  I think we're going to see Trump resign before his four years are up.  The deep state is going to take him down.  He can't beat the deep state without the people, and he's just pissing on the people.  He'll be resigning.  We just got to keep up the fight.
Stephen Hunter Added Apr 1, 2017 - 10:33am
You may be right MPP, however don't think she would have been as hard on the EPA for example. But do agree with the need to clean house, and I am suspicious that she was unethical in her approach to beating Bernie. I think he would have beaten Trump.
Bill H. Added Apr 1, 2017 - 11:17am

MPP - As I stated before he got elected, Trump will attempt to make changes in government that benefit his empire and those of his favored business associates, along with any of the services or commodities that fit in to his operations. He has no concerns at all for his voter base, and only played up to them simply because he knew they would be a faithful cheerleading section at his rallies and actually believe what he preached.
In reality, he never really intended to get elected, he just required and craved the exposure and attention. His priorities have always been, and will always be the pursuit of wealth and attention.
Donald does not think or reason, he simply reacts to situations based on how they affect his two priorities in life, himself and his money. If situations are presented to him with those two factors in mind by others, they may actually get a response and action. I think even some of his dedicated supporters are beginning to figure this out.
George N Romey Added Apr 1, 2017 - 11:29am
Bill H I think you are right. I also think Trump won't last the entire term because the Deep State wants the riches bestowed upon themselves, not the President. The President is their slave as in the case of at least Bush and Obama.

I also believe we will see a global economic meltdown sometime during the next couple of years. One of the flashpoints like too much debt, a way overvalued stock market, a dysfunctional healthcare system, a troubled European banking system is going to ignite and since everything is interconnected there you go.  Whether its Trump or Pence they will get the blame and be booted out in 2020.  I'm not sure what kind of candidate will replace them though.
Bill H. Added Apr 1, 2017 - 12:04pm

Hopefully the system will work in the way of healing itself and result in an early termination of Trump's reign. I don't believe either party at this point in time has the answer to keep the country on-track. It will require either a party of logic and reason, or the ability for the present parties to realize that there needs to be some give and take based on reality, which I don't believe is in the cards.
George N Romey Added Apr 1, 2017 - 12:18pm
Bill both parties have lived beyond their usefulness to the American people.  The fact that they could only serve up either Clinton or Trump in 2016 shows how far they have gotten away from the interests and needs of the American public at large.  2020 might be the time real a really good, honest, sincere 3rd party candidate (and others for the House and Senate) emerges not shrills for the corporate and financial elites.
Bill H. Added Apr 1, 2017 - 12:29pm

As I mentioned in another post, this administration is not education friendly, and will do all that it can to retain and worsen a dumbed-down society that they hope will not see into their real priorities.
It's time for Americans to begin actually researching and thinking again, rather than simply following commands issued to them from their TV's, computers, and "smart" phones. We are even more quickly falling into exactly the trap that the present administration wants us in.
George N Romey Added Apr 1, 2017 - 12:39pm
The surge of Bernie Sanders tells me that a certain portion of people want change and a real leader not a shrill for the elites and dark states.  Would Sanders have gotten his entire agenda through (some of it which I didn't support)?  No, but enough of it to make a difference.  Unlike Trump he understands the system and how to connect it to the bully pulpit.  Trump seems totally overwhelmed by the entire Washington DC establishment.
Bill H. Added Apr 1, 2017 - 3:20pm

I agree that Sanders seemed to know exactly what was unbalancing our economy and what was also leading it to a quick downturn. His targets knew this and spent much money making sure he was not a candidate.
George N Romey Added Apr 1, 2017 - 3:54pm
Bill only can someone that has the concern of Americans run as an Independent.  The party system will crush them.  Sanders should have run 3rd party.
Bill H. Added Apr 2, 2017 - 11:53am
I totally agree with the 3rd party concept.
Hopefully what we are now seeing will get voters more open to this.
Now that corporations control both major parties, the only differences are platform commandments like abortion, guns, and healthcare.
We need to focus on issues that affect the standards of living for all.
Minister Peaceful Poet Added Apr 2, 2017 - 12:05pm
Bill - I very much disagree with Trump on his environment policies. I've written several things on my facebook page and tagged it #todonaldtrump. For a short time I was actually blocked his facebook page, that was weird.  I agree with Trump about global warming, they are not exactly telling the truth about that.  BUT, we cannot continue with our temporary energy solution using fossil fuels.  It's polluting the water we drink, the air we breath and not to mention the earthquakes - IT CAN'T CONTINUE.  But if Hillary were president, we'd already be at war with Russia.  So, it could be worse, but it's not good and we've got to fight.

"In reality, he never really intended to get elected"  I think you are absolutely right.  It has been discovered that the media intentionally pushed for Donald believing that Hillary would easily beat him and Donald was just as non-PC as possible so people would hate him, but instead people liked the candor.  Supposedly there was some kind of coup that went on that prevented any voter fraud.  We got what we voted for.  We prevented world war III, now we've got to take back America.  This country belongs to the people not the corporations, we still have some fighting to do.

Minister Peaceful Poet Added Apr 2, 2017 - 12:08pm
Ric - "And if you dare to cut military spending you are deemed unpatriotic and hung from the nearest yardarm."   It's almost religious.  Thou shalt not commit such blasphemy or you shall not be elected to any political office anywhere at any time.
Minister Peaceful Poet Added Apr 2, 2017 - 12:15pm
John G - A debt based economy cannot continue, the interest grows as we become indebted to the banks, we are owned by banks - that's where we are at now.  We've come to the end of this paradigm.  We change or America no longer exacts.  I think we have already passed that.  America is just the name of a country that has no meaning. Think about the wars we started and the war crimes we've committed openly.  This isn't America anymore.  This is bank of america that refused to welcome the refugees it created.
Minister Peaceful Poet Added Apr 2, 2017 - 12:30pm
Stephen Hunter - I think the Democratic party will continue to regret how it cheated Bernie.
Minister Peaceful Poet Added Apr 2, 2017 - 12:36pm
Dino - you watch to much TV - Free lunch, what are you talking about?  Me and the companies I have worked for have been paying into Social Security since I was 13 years old when I started working, I'm now 57.  There is no FUCKING FREE LUNCH.  Kiss my ass and the pundits you follow.
George N Romey Added Apr 2, 2017 - 1:27pm
The entire debt and healthcare system is beyond fixable. We need a total debt reset and admit to ourselves for profit healthcare doesn't work any better than if we had for profit fire protection.  No one has the balls to stand up and admit the system is rotten to the core and must be dismantled.  It will be broken apart, eventually, by force and when it occurs many aren't going to survive.  The idea that the US will ever pay back any of the $20 trillion (other than to resorting to tricks like printing money to buy back the debt) when we are issuing new debt just to cover interest on the old debt is laughable.  We continue to fight wars we will never, ever win.

MPP you and I are intelligent enough and have enough common sense to see the system for what it is.  Others somehow think that if we just elect the right "R" or "D" or get the right monetary policy or just let the free market work ("pro growth policies", give me a break) it will all magically improve.  It won't.  You can't turn donkey dung into steak by hope and wish.  Trump and Obama are prime examples of how hoopla and slogans mean absolutely nothing.
Ric Wells Added Apr 2, 2017 - 1:33pm
There is a piece of porcelain in my bathroom where the R and D party should be stuffed. Then activate the handle but remember to keep the plunger handy to make sure bits and pieces do not resurface.
Minister Peaceful Poet Added Apr 2, 2017 - 3:19pm
George - "if we had for profit fire protection"  We'd be starting fires just to put them out so that the stock market doesn't crash.

We need to file bankruptcy just like Iceland did and go back to a monetary system that we had before we had the Federal Reserve. The sky won't fall, the world will turn.  It will be okay.
Minister Peaceful Poet Added Apr 2, 2017 - 3:20pm
Ric - Might have to flush twice.
George N Romey Added Apr 2, 2017 - 6:03pm
MPP I agree.  The old saying when you owe the bank $100 its your problem, when you owe the bank $1 million its the bank's problem.
John G Added Apr 3, 2017 - 2:29am

Minister Peaceful Poet

John G - A debt based economy cannot continue,

I don't know what that means in context. Deficit spending does not create debt as you know it.

It creates income and net financial assets in the private sector.

The private sector is not 'on the hook' for so called government debt.

Quite the reverse. It is the owner of the government's liabilities. And those liabilities are the net $US financial assets of the non-government sectors.

It's all far less scary if you understand the mechanics of the system.
Minister Peaceful Poet Added Apr 3, 2017 - 2:57am
John - the way I understand it.  A debt based system can only exist if there is no interest.  When there is interest on the debt, it can't continue.  That's why when the economy falls they pull the interest rates to zero. When the economy improves, they start charging interest again and eventually the economy starts to fall again.  Each time a debt grows that can never be paid off.  Its a failed system and the bankers are the only winners.
John G Added Apr 3, 2017 - 3:00am
Private debt not government spending.
Louis E Weeks Added Apr 3, 2017 - 8:14am
At the end of the day I agree with a lot of points you make MPP concerning shutting down bases and such. local defense should be paid for by local Governments.  Many of those other Countries can offer things like free healthcare because they do not pay for their own National defense.  America has been covering most of the world's defense and I agree it is time to stop that.

But I also want to maintain a strong military, so if we eliminate most of those foreign bases we can afford to even expand our military and reduce total cost at the same time.

We do need to maintain many ports though, we currently cover about 65% of the world's trade routes that makes global trade possible.  If we stopped our patrols we would gut the global trade industry that make it possible for us to buy our cheap televisions and computers and such.

As far ad debts are concerned, I agree, it is horrible that we have allowed this to go on so long, the debt doubled under Obama so if it doubles again under Trump that will put us into the Greece situation.  Not sure how this will end up.
George N Romey Added Apr 3, 2017 - 12:44pm
$20 trillion in debt realistically cannot be paid off.  We have not had a strong economy that has given us the tax base to balance the budget.  And if we do return to a 1990s style economy then interest rates would rise making the debt unaffordable.

There are two solutions.  One, have the Federal Reserve monetize the debt.  The risk is of course we end up like other countries that have tried to print their way into financial stability.  Second, we restructure the debt forcing bondholders to take a haircut.

In fact, I am for a total debt reduction of both private, specifically consumer and public debt.
John G Added Apr 3, 2017 - 1:55pm
So you want everyone to save simultaneously? I imagine you want the economy to grow at the same time.
John G Added Apr 3, 2017 - 8:48pm
The Federal government 'pays off debt' by moving electronic numbers from one account (Treasury bills) to another (reserves).

That's it. Just ledger entries. The sky will not fall.
Minister Peaceful Poet Added Apr 4, 2017 - 12:47am
John G - If it's a just a ledger then let just erase it.
Minister Peaceful Poet Added Apr 4, 2017 - 1:01am
Louis we can maintain our strong military and protect trade routes a lot cheaper if we socialized the military industrial complex and operated out of a need for defense rather than a need to keep the stock market from falling.
John G Added Apr 4, 2017 - 2:14am
John G - If it's a just a ledger then let just erase it.

You wish to wipe out the private sector's savings?
Minister Peaceful Poet Added Apr 4, 2017 - 2:29am
John G - "private sector's savings?"  Ya right, show me that 19 trillion in savings.  Imagine what we could do with all that SAVING - IF IT REALLY EXISTED.
John G Added Apr 4, 2017 - 2:33am
The Federal government's net liabilities are the non-government's net US$ financial assets.

To the penny. That's mathematics and is true by definition.

So maybe you need to think again.
Minister Peaceful Poet Added Apr 4, 2017 - 2:40am
John G - then we can erase the debt and the liabilities won't disappear.   The air craft carriers won't go anywhere, nothing, Iceland did it.

Here is the math - when the government needs a loan from the federal reserve, they print the money, call it debt, charge interest, there is your math.
John G Added Apr 4, 2017 - 2:48am
Nope. You're completely misguided.

That's not maths btw.

The Federal net debt = the non-government's net assets.

That is the maths.
John G Added Apr 4, 2017 - 3:02am

LOL. America runs a vast international standover racket on behalf of its incredibly wealthy ruling class.

As if anyone wants to shut down their own supply routes. What do they put in the water in America?
Minister Peaceful Poet Added Apr 4, 2017 - 3:12am
John G - show me the 19 trillion in savings, then call me misguided.  But if you can't show it to me John, it is you who are deceived.
John G Added Apr 4, 2017 - 3:18am
Show me the Federal government's net liabilities and I'll show you the non-government's net assets.

I don't understand why you don't understand this.

It's a basic accounting identity.

George N Romey Added Apr 4, 2017 - 9:36am
Government's unfunded liabilities are more than $100 trillion.  Guess what the next explosion will be.  The demand for payment from grossly underfunded state and local pensions.  Unlike the federal government they will not be able to print their way out of a jam.  Pensioners are going to find their benefits massively scaled back.  That is going to go over real well.
Minister Peaceful Poet Added Apr 4, 2017 - 10:07am
No problem George, we'll just print some more money.
George N Romey Added Apr 4, 2017 - 10:09am
MPP I assume the states could appeal to the federal government for financial assistance.  CALPERS has seen its unfunded pension liabilities grow from just under $300 billion to nearly $2 trillion just in the past seven years.  Will be simply print $2 trillion and hand it over?
Ric Wells Added Apr 4, 2017 - 10:20am
George not to worry all they have to do is take that IOU to the bank. I'm sure the bank will cash it in so the person can pay their bills buy food etc. After all it is a net ASSet. Yeah that will stand up in court.
Minister Peaceful Poet Added Apr 5, 2017 - 5:04am
George, I suppose they could do that, what that does I understand is devalue the dollar so that the prices will rise.  That has been going on and will continue to go on, that's why we cannot sell our products overseas because they cost to much.  Eventually we're going to have to scrap this deal and start over.
John G Added Apr 5, 2017 - 6:29pm
Why would paying pensions 'devalue' the dollar?