We have a lot of people on both sides of the issue going at each other like an MMA fight and it is even a tad entertaining to those of us who study people and their actions as a hobby but if we take a step back and let go of all the political, partisan bickering there are a lot strong reasons why the abortion debate should be seen as completely different than back in 1973 when Roe – v – Wade was decided, I will offer a few but there are many more if you think about it:
- Society in general has changed, being a single mother in 1973 was rare and it imposed hardships on women back then that were difficult to overcome but today 50% of all children will be raised without their father in the home. Being a single mother is now the norm and is socially acceptable and even encouraged in many ways today.
- Laws have changed, back in 1973 most men could still rape their wives and not get into trouble for it, forcing women into pregnancy as a measure of control was a very big deal in 1973. Today new laws and awareness has given women greater power and control over their own bodies and relationships.
- Child support, in 1973 a woman with children had few options for supporting herself but today all States have extremely strong child support laws and it is very easy for women to get support (unless he is scum working under the table and making babies with a man like that was pretty stupid anyway), that combined with greater acceptance of women in the workforce have given Women more power than Men in many ways.
- Birth control cost. Birth control in 1973 was expensive and unreliable, difficult to get and close to impossible for poor women. Today the most popular hormonal birth control pill is available at Wal-Mart for $26 a month without any form of insurance.
- Birth control availability, even if you do not want to take a daily pill there are now implants and patches. There are even permanent plugs you can have installed (IUDs) to make you immune to pregnancy, but those are less available to poor women but still around the same cost as a top tier cellphone so not really that much out of reach when we consider how many poor people have the latest smartphones.
- Emergency birth control, So even if you are the most irresponsible person in the world, you just spread your legs without any consideration for protection from pregnancy to avoid hurting the passion and power of sexual encounters, you can still head out the next day after your night of unrestrained passion and get either a Cooper IUD that has an almost perfect effectiveness rate or a standard day after pill ( plan B, One-Step, Ella, Ulipristal, levonorgestrel, etc) have from 52% to 100% effectiveness depending on factors such as how soon after unprotected sex you took the dose.
The point of my story is not to push an anti-abortion agenda, while I have a personal belief that abortion is wrong I do not desire to impose this standard on society. My personal view for Government is to be completely out of the abortion business, society in general and Government played no part in the conception of the unwanted child and should play no part in the results.
My desire is to modernize the debate and bring it out of the dark ages where it currently resides. If we accept the fact that most of the reasons for the passage of Roe - V - Wade back in 1973 no longer exist or no longer have the kind of negative impact as they did 44 years ago, then that frees us to have an honest debate on the merits today.
If we ignored the existing laws and were having a fresh debate proposing making abortions legal, what would be the argument for it?
I'm sorry but the case being made seems weak to me. There is no rational excuse for an unwanted pregnancy outside of rape and incest in this modern age. Everyone knows where babies come from, we do not have an education problem in America. The average abortion is to women who already have children and state the need to care for existing children as their main reason for getting an abortion so if they know how babies are made, and they know they have to care for existing children, why are they intentionally having high risk sexual encounters?
There is simply no logic to it, but again, I am not asking for Abortions to be banned, just trying to generate an actual debate on the facts as they are today.
Thanks for taking the time to read my story, please stay on topic in replies and leave personal attacks and such out of it if you would like to reply.
In closing, if you ask people just a simple yes or no question concerning allowing abortions you will generally get mostly yes answers, but if you allow for more nuanced replies, the majority of Americans agree We need more restrictions to abortions .