SITTING HERE AGAIN

Sitting here again.

Lost are the wind, the dust and

the laughing of children at the local market.

Sitting here again.

Lost are the unknown visitors in the house

which became known and friends to me.

Sitting here again.

Lost are the unplanned days which could range

from hope to disappointment and hope again.

Sitting here again.

Lost are the hours of sitting in front of the house

seeing the stars and welcoming friends to sit down

and share a glass of tea.

Sitting here again.

Lost are the calm and quietness, the timelessness that one

can experience by just sitting, watching, reflecting.

Sitting here again.

Driven by the urge to DO something, not just to be

by the noise, the unfocused search for satisfaction

not offered by the local supermarket.

Sitting here again.

Knowing that this will end - open end - and the fact

that don't I know how it will end -

this uncertainty makes life so lifeworthy.

And I smile.

Comments

Jeff Michka Added May 13, 2017 - 7:38pm
Nicely said, and antidote to those saying "why bother?"  Life be short, and you never know when the set will end.  So enjoy!
Stone-Eater Friedli Added May 13, 2017 - 7:39pm
Thanks Jeff !
Ric Wells Added May 13, 2017 - 8:45pm
Sitting here again. Grateful for the expansion of mind and the courage to express it.
Tubularsock Added May 13, 2017 - 10:14pm
Well stated SEF! Tubularsock loved the descriptive quality. Being present is all we have. But Tubularsock would suggest that one can NEVER sit in the same spot even while sitting there because change is constant and the flow is on the move. Cheers!
Mircea Negres Added May 14, 2017 - 4:35am
I miss the Carpathian mountains of Romania, with their quiet majesty and wind passing gently through the fir trees, the purity of the contest between man and rock. For a long time I would take refuge in those memories to find a small measure of peace in my soul, but eleven years have dulled the impact. Ooh, I can see from miles away the longing for simplicity, sunny skies and genuine human connection... Africa's call can be quite strong in some, and is definitely so in your case, Stone-Eater. May the joyful memories you brought back to Switzerland sustain you until the next time. Very, very nice poem. Both thumbs and big toes up for this one, man.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added May 14, 2017 - 5:31am
Tubularsock

Stone says thanks :)

Stone-Eater Friedli Added May 14, 2017 - 5:37am
Mircea

I knew that you'd understand exactly. Africa can be a hate-love, but if I compare the bad with the good, the good overweighs. It always depends on your personal goals. When they turn around wealth and security, Africa will most probably be a deception

Stephen Hunter Added May 14, 2017 - 9:27am
“Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end.” John Lennon
Stone-Eater Friedli Added May 14, 2017 - 9:33am
Stephen

Are you sure ? In any way, you won't notice in the end if it's the end or not ;-)
Stephen Hunter Added May 14, 2017 - 9:40am
In the realm of spirit you will always know Stone, as there are no time boundaries in that realm. (time is cyclical rather than linear) It very well may not be your physical form that sees it. Or it may be.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added May 14, 2017 - 9:50am
Stephen

I'm not very spiritual. I see, hear, feel and notice. And spirit is no more than thoughts to me. One shouldn't look too far. It always gets back to "what we are and where we come from". It may not be as complicated as we like (or not) it to be ;-)

That eternal search for additional meaning and "purpose"...
Stephen Hunter Added May 14, 2017 - 10:04am
Stone, i would like to challenge your definition of spirit. Spirit is a reflection of your thoughtless self. Your thoughts are not your true self, just a mechanism of the physical/external self, triggered by the self protecting ego. As one's level of spirituality ascends, you start to become aware of your thoughts, as just thoughts or sort of mind movies playing out that drive negative emotions, like fear or anger.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added May 14, 2017 - 10:24am
Stephen

Your thoughts are not your true self

A self, in that case we as a living being, is under steady influence of external impressions from birth to death. What we do with that defines our personality and, therefore thoughts. What we call "spirit" is also a part of that thought and analysis process. So my thoughts are a distillation of own thoughts and collective information/thoughts.

A being which is isolated from any external impressions will most likely not develop more than a rudimentary behavior without what we call "personality", and will not even be capable to grasp what "spirit" could mean.

So spirit is an internal thought process not an external one, and requires education. I am very aware of my thoughts and regard spirit as a mix between philosophy and the wish for a higher importance of myself (or humanity).

...in the end it all comes back to importance for a HIGHER whatever.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added May 14, 2017 - 10:27am
As we make daily life more complicated as it is, we also tend to make our mind more complicated as it is. Remove specific parts in the brain, and your thought pattern and "spiritual awareness" will get to vegetable levels ;-)
Stephen Hunter Added May 14, 2017 - 10:48am
Good points Stone, the fact is you are thinking about your thinking, which is a good thing.
I would like to point out though, that a small amount of "vegetativeness" like with Meditation or Prayer, will help to keep one emotionally balanced.
Mircea Negres Added May 14, 2017 - 11:04am
Yeah, Stone-Eater, Africa's not very big on middle ground. Here you can be a sinner or a saint, an asshole or a gent, but one thing's for sure- once you've lived here, you ain't never gonna be the same, while the call nobody else can hear echoes in your veins...
Stone-Eater Friedli Added May 14, 2017 - 11:47am
Mircea

That's what I noticed. And it's impossible to explain to others who haven't lived it themselves.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added May 14, 2017 - 11:50am
Stephen

I agree on meditation when one feels he needs it. But prayer ? Sorry, no. Prayer is a mere placebo, and leads to irreversible emotional problems LOL

Recent Articles by Writers Stone-Eater Friedli follows.