LIKE TO KEEP ALIVE OUR BLACK BIG MAMMA'S

Felix, what we have acknowledged as your grandmother's gift[s], is not isolated. In the Black communities of America, from slavery up until the modern day, colored persons, such as your grandmother described, were common in their everyday living. They were the Big Mamma's who would not only keep the families in good health - they were also moral and spiritual teachers. They could not just go to communal hospitals, and schools, and libraries. there was a black/white stigma hovering over America applied then. It was a mental and psychological law of stay in your place.

Old time remedies you spoke of were common knowledge. And as far as education, most of of Big Mamma's were literally impaired, having no book or very little formal understanding, yet they could read a Bible.

Most black preachers in the Jim Crow era were illiterate, but could teach the Scriptures far more in depth then their white counterparts who were spiritual intellects. these Black preachers functioned from a place still not acknowledged to exist today. That which you found to be phenomenons concerning your grandmother were commonplace in the Black community whose culture is still seen and believed to be sub-par today. Had it not been for the Big Mamma's, and their spiritually inspired freedom fighting of old, President Obama could never have become what he is today. With the mental attitude of obstruction in a Congress hell-bend on defying the will of the people concerning this 1st Black President, ignorance keeps the obstructionist from seeing there is something far more powerful at work then human resistance.

This thing you acknowledge through your grandmother goes much deeper then surface intellectualism, most Caucasians cannot get beyond. It gives people strength to lift 1000's # automobiles off people. It it a force which moves people to put themselves in harms way to save a perfect stranger's life, and stating afterward: "had I not went to the persons aid, I could not have lived with myself afterwards." It is the same power with thicker the fur and hair on animals when a harsh winter is approaching. A Something which gives individuals the will power to cut off their own limbs because of their will to live. On and on I could go, but then, it is evident in everyday life, but not seen by the human outer objective vision, nor acknowledged by their inner subject feelings.

Myself, I care less whether anyone becomes aware of this invisible Spirit thrust, I am here to liberate Julius to make sure, whether others acknowledge it or not, each step I take is brighter than what it was when I stepped there.

What I present can be accepted or rejected. Either way, I stand.

We are responsible to keep the stories of people world wide alive. Of old, this task was given to The Groits (story tellers) to pass the knowledge and wisdom of that which allowed people to get from there to here in the continuum of living and evolving. This is one of the stories needed kept alive for future generations. Thank you!

Comments

Julius Fann Jr. jufa Added May 20, 2017 - 12:01pm
"The history of the human soul is in the bloodline. Each preceding soul press upward to the next generation, its advancement of what was passed unto them, via Conscious Living DNA, with hope the generation which received the gift of advancement, will be the generation which regains its original place of Order within the Body of the Soul which Declared out of the Silence: "All souls are mine." - jufa
Stone-Eater Friedli Added May 20, 2017 - 1:06pm
Julius

Welcome here. What you describe are also the Mama's in Africa. At least that's my experience. Good one !
Julius Fann Jr. jufa Added May 20, 2017 - 2:10pm
Thank you Sir, I have been a member for quite sometime.

All the bare information in my post is indeed of African origin, and a carry-over by the Groits who kept it alive in the people during slavery. Not many storyteller left in America to keep hope alive in a spiritual manner today, but some are telling the story to whosoever will hear.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added May 20, 2017 - 2:30pm
Julius

I'm not Sir, I'm not anglophone and I don't deserve that title (does anyone ?) ;-)

We gotta have a talk sometime. My wife is a Kouyaté from Mali - means a Griot (djeli). I've lived in Africa for long and will immigrate to Senegal in November. Be free to discuss !

BTW: I can recommed a book to you:

Only one of many.
Lady Sekhmetnakt Added May 20, 2017 - 2:37pm
While I can relate to having a spiritual teacher in my African  paternal grandmother, much of this is very different from my experience. For one, my grandmother and my ancestors, on my father's side, going back nearly 100 generations, have been blessed to have been taught the African faith of Kemet, not the Western white man's Bible. For another my ancestors are directly from Africa and never knew slavery. They were among the Kings and Queens of ancient Egypt. I honor my African side (my mother was white), by continuing their African/Kemetian traditions and spiritual teachings in the Temple I help lead with my husband and in our family by passing down our cultural path and beliefs to our children. Our true past will never be lost or deluded in my family at least not in my lifetime.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added May 20, 2017 - 2:46pm
Jenifer

That's really interesting too. My wife also told me once that the origins of many Malians is Egypt. In all those ancient stories of Sundiata Keita and Musa Kanka Egypt plays a big role in gold, jewelery and other trade with Sub-Saharan Africa. Take the Songhai, Mali and Gana kingdoms which went unnoticed largely.

Even today pupils in the former French colonies are not taught their history. They learn FRENCH history.

Independence ? Forget it ! Education, currency exchange, customs, loans (to exploit) - the "West" has a tight grip.
Julius Fann Jr. jufa Added May 20, 2017 - 8:08pm
The history of the world is of all people, and facts pertaining to where we began are in partial and overburdened of subliminal indoctrination and superstitions.  Sure our history is that of giants and giants killers of both men and women, and makes one aware of that which was only a moment ago.  And the knowledge received in this awareness can only go to the moment of remembrance of effect, but not to cause.

In today's history The Storyteller is the poet.  The poet is the idealist of society who brings forth the rhythm of the poetry of  the past, and stirs one to hope, to believe they can step beyond histories knowledge into the metaphor of the Spirit's of our ancestors who paved the way for today's mentality.  And if only for a moment The Storyteller advise it is mandatory to become involved in the Spirit of betterment.

The dreamer, the philosopher, the ditch digger, the prostitute, the alcoholic, the executive, the statesman, presidents, kings, rulers, and all people who make-up the rhythm of living are descriptive of the rhythm of poetry. And to value one, is to value all, for all are an extension of the waves of life and living.

We ask so much, but give so little to the collective whole of our being.  We only realize a fraction of the beat of the infinite movement of the law of the Spirit of life which is the true empowerment of the vibrating waves defining poetic living in all degrees, realms, spheres, dimensions, circumstances, situations, and conditions of our awareness.

We do good when we find we are empowered by the rhythm of poetry more than the poet.

Never give power to anything a person believes is their source of strength - jufa

Julius Fann Jr. jufa Added May 21, 2017 - 9:30am
EXPAT.  There is no doubt what you bring forth concerning Barack Obama is correct.  But this is the fate of most Black American's today, especially those within the arena of politics, music industries, and corporate America, and those of the streets and ghetto neighborhood.

Ask those of the Black Race born after WW.2 who responded to the Be Bop call, Hippy and Rock and Roll area the story of the Grandmothers who were slaves themselves within slavery, yet somehow was spirited with and unknown Wisdom to provide from the slop of their slave masters, the Soul Food to feed the entire community of those also enslaved.  And in the process, ask the children of the Black community today to tell the story of the grandmothers who doctored, and preached of hope and honor and the path to break the chains of degradation upon their children minds by teaching respect, dignity, and family unity.   You will  find them at a lost.

There has been no error(s) in my presentation, for I speak not of the sentient attitude employed by those who seek to step off into the 'white man's business', and clothe themselves with the elite attitude of the Caucasian world, although they know that it is not about equality within their heart, but about justice.   I speak of the Spirit of resiliency for "The Invisible Man" to manifest the soul of the universe when told they did not have the mental, nor spiritual capacity to do for themselves, but did anyway by underground means.
Dino Manalis Added May 21, 2017 - 1:51pm
Love and respect your grandmother!  Happy Mother's Day to her as well!
Julius Fann Jr. jufa Added May 21, 2017 - 3:45pm
EXPAT. The topic is not about Black or White, and certainly not President Obama, this is your interjection into this thread.  This topic is about the Spirit of Something unknown guiding a people>>>> (through the Great Dames - woman in authority  as the Black house negro in a position of authority or control, and elder mistress' in the slave community)<<<< who taught he people how to sustain the trials and tribulations of being looked upon as subhuman.

This topic is about the Spirit of the Grand Matriarchs, who instilled in her people how to make a way when they forbidden and told they have no fortitude to move forward and up.

Good people do not come in all colors, they are of all colors!
Julius Fann Jr. jufa Added May 21, 2017 - 8:16pm
EXPAT.  Try as you may, you cannot extract the means, mode, and median of this topic by snippets, leaving out the personal courage and determination; toughness of character spoken which precedes your snippet concerning President Obama which reads: "Had it not been for the Big Mamma's, and their spiritually inspired freedom fighting of old, President Obama could never have become what he is today."

As far as my presenting one side of the Black experience, I have present one element of the singularity of one group of people within the plurality of a People.
Autumn Cote Added May 21, 2017 - 8:58pm
Please note, the second best way to draw more attention to your work is to comment on the work of others. I know this to be true because if you do, I'll do everything in my power to draw more attention to your articles.

PS - There is a lot I can do and would like to do on your behalf. For example, this article was written by an author deserved of some feedback.
Julius Fann Jr. jufa Added May 21, 2017 - 11:38pm
This thread is about
TO KEEP ALIVE OUR BLACK BIG MAMMA'S
Bill Caciene Added May 22, 2017 - 9:29pm
I love it when liberals claim Republicans are obstructionist and anoint themselves part of a resistance whose goal is to obstruct.  Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

One thing is for certain as it relates to racism in our post-Obama era, it no longer exists on a massive scale.  After all, how could a racist white majority of a country elect a black president if they’re racist?

Sorry for focusing on the political stuff.  Next time you write an article where you wish to impart some uplifting message or poetry, my advice is to leave politics out of it.  By putting it in there, you lose about half your readers, of which I am one.
Julius Fann Jr. jufa Added May 22, 2017 - 10:51pm
It doesn't bother me what you focus in on in my post for most people are partial to what they see and and is an activity in they consciousness.  Your advise, however, to me has little value because I know you do not know the pulse of the majority of people, and therefore do not know whether or not anything I post will, or will not turn anyone from reading them.

This post is in no way political, and because its body has political connotation, the undertone filler of any political use does not portray a liberal nor right wing banner, nor form a baseline abstract intention which forms a principle determining anything but a Spirit which moved a race from the tentacles of  enforced slavery to the halls of America's Congress without any help, in the beginning except form these Grand Ladies who carried the burdens of slavery upon their backs and shoulders looking for no reward but to be able to instill in the babies, young and mature adult, there was a way out if they reached for the guidance and wisdom of that higher power within themselves.

Sorry, you are mistaken.  I just shake my head for your not seeing the purpose, intent, and Spirit which produced this topic.

Maureen Foster Added May 23, 2017 - 9:09am
“Most black preachers in the Jim Crow era were illiterate, but could teach the Scriptures far more in depth then their white counterparts”

I hate it when racists write articles about racism.  White or black, the color of a preacher’s skin does not determine how in depth they can/could teach scriptures.

“This thing you acknowledge through your grandmother goes much deeper then surface intellectualism, most Caucasians cannot get beyond.”

This is yet another racist sentence.  What is it with you and the ease at which you disparage Caucasians?

“Had it not been for the Big Mamma's, and their spiritually inspired freedom fighting of old, President Obama could never have become what he is today. With the mental attitude of obstruction in a Congress hell-bend on defying the will of the people concerning this 1st Black President, ignorance keeps the obstructionist from seeing there is something far more powerful at work then human resistance.”

Obama was not opposed by Congress because of the color of his skin.  If the color of his skin mattered to white people, he wouldn’t have become president.  Based on the results of all the elections while Obama was in office he was well-liked but his policies were disliked.  That’s why Democrats did well when Obama was up for election/reelection and got crushed when he wasn’t.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added May 23, 2017 - 1:52pm
Probably Obama was chosen in the first place to reinforce business with Africa, where the US lost terrain to the Chinese and the Indians due to their concentration on wars in the ME. Didn't work, though.
Julius Fann Jr. jufa Added May 23, 2017 - 2:45pm
Do you feel as though anyone cares about you self-righteous defense of difference between White educated preachers who looked at their ministry as occupational, and Black preacher who were taught the Scriptures by the same spiritual force when guided the Grand Ladies of color, who had to still away to teach themselves, children, and Black congregation the Scriptures because it was illegal to teach Black people to read and write, and to hold such religious meeting?   Well, good for you in your denial of reality.  Sleep on.

Moreover, do you also think you can usurp the Spirit of this thread by attempting to make it racial and political when I, the original thinker and producer has constantly informed you, as well as opposed any attempt to offline what I have presented to whosoever reads this thread -- This thread is about "LIKE TO KEEP ALIVE OUR BLACK BIG MAMMA'S."

Well my dear, try as you may, the theme is still about these Grand Black Dames who paved the way for their children and people to find a way to move through the underground of darkness to the light with the echoing Voices of YES WE CAN, which they did, and are still doing today.

Maureen Foster Added May 24, 2017 - 12:44pm
The reality is that the spirit of this article is about race and politics.  Evidence of that continues in your reply comment to me.  A white preacher does not look upon their ministry as occupational any more than a black preacher would.  “Yes We Can” was Obama’s motto during his 2008 campaign.  I’m all for giving credit to black mamas, but let’s not disparage white people in the process or infuse the discussion with politics.  For the record, as evidenced by the Black Lives Matter movement and all the rioting, race relations were abysmal under Obama.  Do you think the reason is because Obama had a white mama?
Janie Smith Added May 24, 2017 - 2:11pm
Well, Julius, since you have been around here for a while, none of this feedback should be too surprising.

I feel like sometimes its hard to distinguish something that cultural without it also being racist sort of like making a generalization based on a stereotype.  Yet, the reason cultural differences make sense is because they exist, just like certain stereotypes.

When I read this article, it reminded me of my own Black Grand Mamma, who I only really knew closely as a small child, but who was always in the background of my life till recently.

She was the backbone of her family.  A proud woman, self-made, used to be a Nurse in New York in the 1940's through the 1960's.  Then moved here to Seattle in either the late 60's or early 70's and started her own Nursing home, which she tended till she was in her 80's.

She had 5 beautiful children, one was my stepfather.  She outlived them all which is both very sad and a testament to her constitution.

To me, she was like a goddess, inspiring the kind of awe and fear you might have looking into fire or at out over the ocean.  You knew that whatever she said it would be the final word on everything and when she turned her smiles and favor towards you, you were blessed.

There is magic in people, sometimes.
Julius Fann Jr. jufa Added May 24, 2017 - 7:07pm
Maureen.  The reality of this topic is in the beginning title, opening dialogue, and the gut content, and the contextual wave of These Fabulous Ladies spiritual, mental and physical ability to overcome the psychological enslavement of a people, but their forced physical imprisonment, which is apolitical.

Now you can jabber jabber all you care, but the title, the head, body, and feet of what I have present cannot be overcome by your sophistry snippets fragmented attempt to get other readers to overlook the whole body initiative, and to place what I have built from my experience with these Great Ladies, whose inspiration mounted a nation whom were looked upon to be subhuman, into an arena that was not available to it until after the civil war.

Never give power to anything a person believes is their source of strength.  jufa
Julius Fann Jr. jufa Added May 24, 2017 - 7:47pm
Hello Janie.  It is not at all surprising how people want to take topics whose flavor is on one nature, and attempt to make it into what is partial to them.

You have been the only individual who has represent the intent and purpose of this thread by speaking on the experience of seeing your "own Black Grand Mamma," who "was the backbone of her family.  A proud woman, self-made," who "had 5 beautiful children," and "outlived them all which is both very sad and a testament to her constitution."

This is the composition and structure of this thread, and as you have done, it is to tell a story of the backbone of those Grand Mamma's who carried the world on their shoulders, and taught strangers in a strange land of dreams of freedom which could be accomplished if they would be collective in their reach to conquer This Impossible Dream.

These Grand Black Big Mamma's began a revolution, not for equality, but justice.
Janie Smith Added May 25, 2017 - 1:44pm
Thanks so much for posting this article, and your beautiful response to my story, Julius.  It is an important reminder and topic.  Even to this day, I know strong women who are carrying on this fight. And your right, it's not just about equality...because that word suggests that it only benefits a subset of people, but Justice, that's for all of us.