Polarization vs. Harmony
Just about five years ago extreme political and cultural polarization hardly featured in Western nations. At the moment these developments threaten to tear some of them apart. This can be observed especially in places where the polarizing forces of aggressive identity politics and extreme political correctness are currently at play. Neither of these mindsets are conducive to tolerance or harmony, in spite of what they presumably stand for.
According to Mayan spiritual guide, Carlos Barrios, Mayan elders believe that during the beginning of each new world age, the energetic polarities between yin and yang (left or right; dark and light; right or wrong) become highly accentuated, which would explain why the present political atmosphere is conducive to such a high degree of polarity. Mayans believe that these metaphysical energetic shifts have an impact on human consciousness and behavior, which would often result in turmoil, because there would usually be major resistance to some of the political and social changes that are caused by the new directional flow of energies.
Although it may seem like a far-fetched notion that humans can be affected by metaphysical "energies", this is exactly what the ancient Mayans determined by having made a study of recurring energetic cycles over thousands of years. Western scholars who have studied the Mayan codices known as the Books of Chilam Bilam have also come to the conclusion that the classic Mayans developed a powerful way of reading the past, present and the future by understanding energetic time frames and their characteristics.
The Sky is Falling
In the Mayan creation story the sky is lowered (it "falls") at the end of each Great Cycle of 5125 years. It is then "raised" again. So far the sky has been raised four times and we are currently in the space between ages (in the transition) before the next sky is raised. As a thought experiment: if we take "the sky" as a metaphor for human consciousness, then the sky "falling" takes on significant meaning: At the end of each long world age, as consciousness diminishes; systems, structures and thought processes related to it, become unstable or "challenged". Subsequently they start to show strain or they start to crumble. This is because the consciousness aligned to the old energetic direction would be out of sync with the new incoming direction.
From Expansion to Contraction
In Mayan mythology, evolution expanded outwards into one of the four different cardinal directions during each of the four previous 5125 year world ages, with each age carrying the energetic characteristics of its element and its outward direction. During the new age - the Mayan Fifth World that started at the end of 2012 - the energy is flowing in the opposite direction: back inwards towards the centre. In other words there is currently an energetic turnaround happening, causing outward and inward flowing energies to be in direct opposition to each other. Such transitions can take a years to complete.
On a human level we could speculate that generally speaking the outward and inward moving energies contain more or less the following characteristics in terms of identity, and that we have already observed some of these movements during recent world events such as Brexit and the United States' presidential elections at the end of 2016:
- The outwards moving energy has been moving away from intrinsic individual core identity (known as the Self in Jungian terms) towards a type of universal consumer oriented identity. Over time it has also moved away from traditional forms of group identity such as national, cultural, language related or traditional role-related identity. It would rather center its identity in forms of political and gender identity (identity politics and gender-ism). Generally this energy seems to reject or be opposed to traditionalism or conservatism in any form.
- The inwards moving or contracting energy associates individual core identity more with self-defined personal values and (or) values found in more traditional types of group associations, such as cultural, national, language or heritage related identity, while also being involved in identity politics sometimes. This energy benefits from the fact that there had always been a base of traditionalists and conservatives who had over time become marginalized and are now finding their voice again. It also benefits from the fact that not everyone who found themselves in the expanding energy movement, wanted to move so far away from the political centre, or from their own personal identity centre, so they moved over from the ever-expanding energy to the returning ("reversing") energy relatively quickly.
These two "movements" are generally contrasted by the one having an expansionist or globalization oriented world view, combined with supporting the idea of open or no borders, whereas the other one seems to favor a more localized or regional world view with an orientation towards a return to protectionism and well defined and well controlled borders.
Is civilization in the early stages of collapse?
In the years leading up to 2012 many leaders and their followers in the Mayanism movement threw bits and pieces of a broad selection of prophecies from a range of indigenous peoples of Mesoamerica, North America and sometimes even Asia all together and then projected them onto one day, December 21, 2012. However, when you do a more in-depth analysis of the original Mayan prophecies, you come to realize that it's early days yet.
Let's take a brief look at the endings of several significant cycles in the Mayan calendars and some of the prophecies related to them. The endings of cycles are also automatically the beginning of new cycles:
- (1) The 468 years dark Bolom Tiku cycle that ended in 1987: This was the end of a long dark age (and the beginning of an age of light, called Oxlajuj Tiku that will last 676 years.) Shortly after this cycle ended major events unfolded, such as the fall of the Berlin Wall (1989), the end of the Soviet Union (1991), the end of Apartheid (1991-94) and the beginning of the Northern Ireland Peace process (1994).
- (2) The 5125 year 4th Great Cycle, also known as the Mayan 4th World, that ended on 21 December 2012: This was the end of a very long cycle ruled by masculine energy and the element of water. It was also the beginning of the Mayan Fifth World which is meant to be ruled by both masculine and feminine energies and would have the combined four elements of the previous four cycles, namely: Fire, Air, Earth and Water, plus a new element added - Ether. We are presently five years into this new cycle. The Fifth World is prophesized to ultimately result in a state of harmony after the transition, gestation and maturation stages have completed. (However, for humans to be compatible with such a state or condition implies that they would have to go through a significant transformation or transmutation process during the transition period.)
- (3) The 19.7 year Katun period named 4 Ahau that started on 6 April 1993 and ended on the 21st of December 2012: Throughout the ages this Katun has had strong spiritual qualities, but included a lot of upheaval too. During this recent 20 year cycle there was a powerful revival of Eastern spirituality and philosophy in the West and the New Age movement grew with leaps and bounds.
- (4) The 19.7 year Katun period named 2 Ahau that started on December 22, 2012 and that will end on 7 September 2032: This was the beginning of a 19.7 year period that symbolically and energetically have strong qualities related to polarization and major upheaval, while there are positive elements and aspects to this period too. ** We are currently 5 years into this phase. **
- (5) The 19.7 year Katun period named 13 Ahau that will start on 8 September 2032 and will end on May 25, 2052: This is a 19.7 year period that has been determined to be dark and is symbolically the most unstable of all the Katuns, with the world usually being turned upside down, symbolically and literally.
- (6) A relatively long prophetic Katuns Cycle of 256 Years that started in 1796 and will end in 2052. This is the entire prophetic Katuns cycle (also known as the 'short count') - thirteen consecutive 19.7 year periods. The last couple of Katuns in such a cycle are always considered to be unstable and they usually include the collapse of systems and structures. According to prophecy, shortly afterwards the beginning of a brand new 256 year prophetic cycle would then usher in a new dawn and a complete rejuvenation of the world. The Katuns 2 Ahau and 13 Ahau mentioned above in numbers 4 and 5 are the last two 19.7 year increments in this overall 256 years cycle. If we are lucky we should exit the transition period from the Mayan Fourth to Fifth worlds around that time.
Why are these cycles important?
Importantly the next 35 years could potentially be experienced (lived through) by the majority of people alive today under the age of fifty who will all have to face and deal with the upcoming changes. The younger the person, the more likely it is that they could potentially experience all of it, but that would depend on circumstances and events. Ultimately everything would depend on everyone's attitude towards the whole process.
Whether one pays any attention to prophecy or not, these rarely-heard-about authentic Mayan prophecies make for an interesting lens to view history through, they could help to make sense of the present and they could serve as a creative framework for anticipating the future.
By JJ Montagnier.
In the next installment we will take a closer look at the prophecies related to the cycles listed in this article and extrapolate further from there. We will also consider the purpose of some of the energies from a human development point of view and look into how we can work with them.
This article has been written for general consumption and some concepts have been simplified. The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author.
'The Sky is Falling' is a compilation of extracts taken from a series published at: GypsyCafé.org
(Follow up articles on this subject will be available at Gypsy Café.)
Copyright © 2017 · All Rights Reserved
The following (main) sources have been consulted during the writing of this article:
- The Book of Destiny – Unlocking the Secrets of the Ancient Mayans and the Prophecy of 2012, by Carlos Barrios (published in 2009).  .
- The Mayan Prophecies – The Renewal of the World 2012 – 2072, by Kenneth Johnson, (published in 2012).
- The Maya Katun Prophecies, by Bruce Schofield (article: Alternate Perceptions, 1996).
- The Book of Chilam Balam of Chumayel, by Ralph Roys (published in 1933).
- The Long and Short of the Mayan Calendar (Published in The Mountain Astrologer, Dec 2004 /Jan 2005) By Bruce Scofield