The Forgotten Part One

I want to deal with aspects of Nazi crimes that do not involve Jews or only involve them in a peripheral way.  These are the forgotten victims, those that exist outside of what is acknowledged as the Holocaust.  The first group I will write about is the disabled, targeted in ways and for much longer than Jews.

The Nazi regime specifically targeted the disabled soon after Hitler became Chancellor.  The Reichstag enacted the "Law for the Prevention of Offspring with Heredity Diseases" on July 14th, 1933.  This law established "Eugenics Courts" that determined whether or not an individual would be sterilized.  An individual could apply to do this voluntarily, a legal representative could do it (with the consent of a court guardian), a state physician or the head of an asylum.  Once a decision for sterilization was made the law forced the patient to undergo surgery, even against that person's will (except in cases of self application).  The courts ordered and carried out the "Hitler cut" on about 400,000 people, ending in 1945.

Now it's true that many countries had eugenics laws, including the certain US states.  But, no one sterilized as many people as the Nazi regime did.

In 1939, with war on the horizon, the situation turned grim for the disabled.  It started with a child named Gerhard Kretschmar, a child born deformed.  The child's father petitioned Hitler for permission to end his son's life.  Hitler sent his personal physician, Karl Brandt, to examine the child.  Brandt agreed that the child deserved death and the child was given a lethal injection.  On August 18th, 1939 the Ministry of Interior informed all doctors, nurses and midwives to report children under the age of three who exhibited signs of a disability.

The onset of war brought active measures against the disabled.  Encouraged by his doctors, Hitler signed a decree in October of 1939 (backdated to September 1st, 1939) authorizing the murder of the disabled.  At first this targeted children and later extended to adults.  The program of Euthanasia, codenamed T-4, initially used starvation and lethal injections to murder the disabled.  Looking for more efficient to kill, the doctors hit on gassing the disabled to hasten the killing process.

There were six gassing installations set up, the most infamous being Hadamar.  The other installations existed at Brandenburg, Grafeneck, Bernberg, Sonnenstein and Hartheim.  These installations used bottled carbon monoxide to murder the disabled, the bodies cremated and then death certificates sent to relatives.

The project took place in secret but this could not be maintained.  German citizens quickly made the connection between the vans carrying the inmates to the institutions and the stench of burning flesh that occurred soon afterward.  Relatives received death certificates with obvious errors, including a rather infamous incident where the cause of death was acute appendicitis when the victim had their appendix removed years before.  Also, those doctors, nurses and orderlies involved began talking about their experiences with friends and loved ones.

Church leaders and private citizens began complaining openly about what was going on and in August, 1941 the Catholic bishop August von Galen delivered a sermon against the practice.  The bishop was too public a figure to silence and Hitler ordered T-4 ended.  However, the focus shifted to

concentration camp inmates under Action 14f13 and the killing of other disabled persons quietly continued.  The use of gas chambers stopped and the resumption of lethal injections and starvation during this quieter phase.

All told about 75,000 people died during the initial phase, with a total of about 275,000 dying during the course of the war (the practice of killing the disabled continued on the Eastern Front).

Comments

Jeffrey Kelly Added Jun 30, 2017 - 10:59pm
Information about the first child victim:
Jeffrey Kelly Added Jun 30, 2017 - 11:00pm
Jeffrey Kelly Added Jun 30, 2017 - 11:03pm
Jeffrey Kelly Added Jun 30, 2017 - 11:07pm
I added some information from Doris Bergen's "The Holocaust, a New History" but here is a link:
John G Added Jun 30, 2017 - 11:11pm
Their first targets were socialists. If you don't get that, you miss the gist of the whole story imo.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Jul 1, 2017 - 12:00am
Socialists and Communists, there is a difference.  The Nazis targeted both in Germany after Hitler became Chancellor.  But, they were not targeted for extermination and that is the key.  The Nazis thought that Communists and Socialists were "wayward brothers" to be.....persuaded... to come back to the fold.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Jul 1, 2017 - 12:32am
Because I write about what I know and study.
John G Added Jul 1, 2017 - 12:52am
 The Nazis thought that Communists and Socialists were "wayward brothers"
As I suspected, you don't get it and won't get it. You are part of the problem.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Jul 1, 2017 - 8:49am
@John G
" The Nazis thought that Communists and Socialists were "wayward brothers" As I suspected, you don't get it and won't get it. You are part of the problem."

Why don't you explain it to me?
Dino Manalis Added Jul 1, 2017 - 9:54am
We shouldn't forget any victims of World Wars I and II!
Jeff Michka Added Jul 1, 2017 - 3:02pm
Jeffrey Kelly writes about nazi victims other than Jews:  You are, of course correct.  To note, in a discussion of the current "healthcare bill", Billy the Nazi advocated euthanasia for people in wheelchairs "because they take all the resources."  Sounds vaguely familiar echo of the Third Reich.  OF COURSE, GAYS AND TRADE UNIONISTS ARE NEXT...as Nazi Tom Purcell sez:  It was considered an act of mercy and humanity to practice euthanization on the extremely disabled,-AH HA!! I t was a Nazi "act of kindness", akin to "delousing" prisoners in Treblinka with Zyklon B... See how kind and loving the Nazis are?  Ya got MJ getting the pompoms out to cheer for this garbage treatment of humans.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Jul 1, 2017 - 4:45pm
@ MJ
"Jeffrey, you are talking about the bad part of Nazi crimes. Do not forget the wonderful medical breakthroughs that came out of that era."

Nothing is completely good or evil, MJ.  However, nothing excuses the crimes against children and those unable to speak for or protect themselves.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Jul 1, 2017 - 4:51pm
@ Tom Purcell
"You forgot to consider the times, Jeffrey.  It was not the same tree-hugging, ultra-PC, quasi-humane world as the America you were brought up in."

Yet GERMAN citizens protested the practice, Tom.  Why would they do so if this was a lesser time, Tom?

" It was considered an act of mercy and humanity to practice euthanization on the extremely disabled, for those who lacked quality of life.  That's why the program was developed."

Yet this was done in secret, without the knowledge or consent of the family or the consent of the targeted.  Many of those killed were quite capable and could have assisted in the war effort (a great irony is that the doctors who didn't know the fate of their patients often exaggerated the disability of their patients.  This condemned those patients to death).

One can always tell how civilized a society is by seeing how they treat the lesser of their citizens.  The Nazis failed.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Jul 1, 2017 - 6:52pm
@Tom Purcell:
"If it was such a secret, how is it that you know so much about it, and/or why would there be circa film documentaries and records for the archives?"

Because like all bureaucracies the doctor's needed authorization, technically this was still murder.  Also, the protests are documented as well as Galen's sermon.

"You also seem to have an unmatched insight into the evil minds of German physicians."

What sort of insight do I need?

"You're full of it, bud. Sorry but it's a bunch of bull that I've heard too many times."

It's amusing, Tom.  You don't like someone disrupting your rosy view of what Hitler's Germany really was.
Do you want to know, Tom?  Are you prepared for unpleasant truths?
Jeff Michka Added Jul 1, 2017 - 9:35pm
Jeffrey Kelley sez: It's amusing, Tom.-Yeah, Tom is  a real laugh/riot.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Jul 1, 2017 - 10:31pm
I get the feeling that Tom is done here.
John G Added Jul 2, 2017 - 2:02am
You should send a copy of this to the people of Bikini Atoll.
Oh wait, I think they're all dead or dying from deliberate radiation poisoning.
John G Added Jul 2, 2017 - 3:16am
Maybe try Iraq instead.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Jul 2, 2017 - 4:04am
John, did you forget to take your medication?
John G Added Jul 2, 2017 - 4:21am
You misunderstand me.

I am a paid mouthpiece — a professional troll — for leftist powers in Europe. I have actually never studied economics, politics, or history, at least, not in any great depth. I parrot platitudes from the far left because 1) that's all I have ever studied, and 2) that's what I get paid for.

I hope that clarifies my position and the gist of all of my previous posts.
Lady Sekhmetnakt Added Jul 2, 2017 - 4:35am
^fake John alert. The above poster is actually Corey, a racist Zionist punk cowardly scumbag. You are warned.
John G Added Jul 2, 2017 - 5:13am
John, did you forget to take your medication?
Was it that obvious?
I'm actually trying to taper off most of them. Suicidal thoughts, and all that.
John G Added Jul 2, 2017 - 5:15am
Do you want to know, Tom?  Are you prepared for unpleasant truths?
The concise answer to that is, "No."
Jeffrey Kelly Added Jul 2, 2017 - 9:36am
@Matthew Marmen:
"Now do you understand why debating Holocaust deniers is a fruitless endeavor? If it paints him in a negative light, they will dispute anything you present regarding Hitler."

I don't really care.

"So spare me this is some kind of historical piece because you’re so interested in history, this article was targeted at Tom Purcell and Billy Roper."

So, let's see.  Tom and Billy can write what they like and I can't respond or provide actual history for those who want to read it.

"For spending so much time on these individuals, only proves you really need to get a life."

I have one.  I do this in my spare time.

"Or at least a hobby."

Let's see.  My hobbies include writing stories here, reading and discussing what I read on various forms and blogs.  I think I'm set.

Jeffrey Kelly Added Jul 2, 2017 - 9:37am
John G. is a really boring individual.
Lady Sekhmetnakt Added Jul 2, 2017 - 10:04am
Jeffrey writes "John G. is a really boring individual."
I think you mean Corey.
Jeff Michka Added Jul 2, 2017 - 12:20pm
Perfect Priestess JenJen, conspiracy theorist and hypocrite sez: The above poster is actually Corey, a racist Zionist punk cowardly scumbag. You are warned.   You are warnedJenJen is an ardent conspiracy theorist who is nothing more than another disenfranchised Millennial that really should be on Alex Jones' Infowars where she'd be at home.  When is your "9/11 Truther" article coming out?  WB needs a good laugh fest.
Jeff Michka Added Jul 2, 2017 - 12:24pm
Jeffrey Kelly sez: I get the feeling that Tom is done here.- Nope.  He'll keep up his Third Reich promotional tour, hoping to get some of the less thoughtful folks on WB SEIG Heiling with him and Billy the nazi.  HE CLAIMS HE DOESN'T CARE ABOUT SOME PEOPLE'S OPINIONS, BUT YES, HE DOES....
Jeffrey Kelly Added Jul 2, 2017 - 12:36pm
LOL
Lady Sekhmetnakt Added Jul 2, 2017 - 4:39pm
It only figures that Jeff is such a lowlife scumbag that he would support Corey impersonating John. Just when I thought may opinion of that vermin subhuman slime couldn't get any lower..
Jeff Michka Added Jul 2, 2017 - 6:24pm
The perfect mad priestess JenJen cries: It only figures that Jeff is such a lowlife scumbag that he would support Corey impersonating John-Huh?  But then ask me if I care. -The Millennial whiner goes on: I thought may opinion of that vermin subhuman slime couldn't get any lower..  - Oh!!! I'm so hurt!  LOL  How does it feel to be an ultimate hypocrite, JenJen? Like your prize conspiracy, you've no proof it really exists.  How does anyone know you're JenJen?  Nobody can prove you're who you say you are.

Recent Articles by Writers Jeffrey Kelly follows.