HOW WE BECAME ANTISOCIAL

Our society has become antisocial. Social media has produced the opposite as what the name suggests. People have lost respect and are more solitary than ever. TV started it, and dumbphones perfected it. Even in Africa people used to sit together at night and chat, while today everyone watches any kind of shit at home - streets are empty. What difference 20 years can make...

I remember 1995 in Bamako. We had no TV, but the store at the corner had one. At 9pm the news were on, ORTM Mali channel....creek, creek, Image comes and goes, but who cares. The store owner placed wooden benches in front of the store, put the TV out, and 30 of us sat there to watch.

Then someone would prepare strong tea (the little glasses, Chinese tea, 3 rounds, the first for the men, the strongest, the second for the ladies and the third for the kids), and we kept chatting until dawn, quite often, we would dislocate to our house, put chairs out, a tape recorder, and off we went for another round of discussions.

Today, all that has changed. Everyone has a TV at home, old or new, a cheap satellite antenna, and watches telenovelas, video clips, soccer matches or old movies, and the kids all have cheap Chinese smartphones where they meet at places where the reception is good, sit there in groups and - chat, do FB or whatever.

Talking to each other ? Forget it.

Our oh so beneficial technological progress has put us back in a state where we're all united in isolation. As I said, even Africa, that last continent where REAL social life still exists (today only in villages, I guess, no network, you see), has been changed into a continent where everyone looks for himself and, more often than not, has no contact with the people in the opposite house (no flats there).

Is this progress, I ask ? We humans NEED direct social contact, if we want it or not. We're not a solitary species. When we don't have it, we suffer, and no antidepressiva will help.

When do we realize that, shred our dumbphones and TV's, get out again and say hello to a stranger ?

Comments

Jeffrey Kelly Added Jul 10, 2017 - 1:33pm
A few years ago I was sitting in a restaurant having lunch when I noticed a young couple sitting in front of me.  They both sat their silent, tap, tapping away on their smart phones.
The girl was very pretty and I thought the boy was a fool for not putting his phone down to pay attention to her.  I know when I was his age I always paid attention to a girl when I was with them, chatting them up and listening to every word they said (naturally, my motives on this account were always pure....LOL).
I asked my nieces about this.  Turns out this is the way boys and girls act now in social situations.
"But," I said, "Don't you want boys to pay attention to you and talk to you?"
"They were talking, uncle Jeff."
Sigh.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 10, 2017 - 1:36pm
Jeffrey

Ah. Sitting opposite of each other and chat with each other ? WTF ? You see. Brains gone at early age. Imagine them when power breaks down....
Jeffrey Kelly Added Jul 10, 2017 - 1:46pm
They were sitting right next to each other.  I wanted to smack him on top of his head.
Ric Wells Added Jul 10, 2017 - 1:59pm
Society feels it is safer to sit behind closed doors and sore forth any tripe they desire. No responsibility anymore for speech  intentions or actions. Humanity in a freefall tailspin.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 10, 2017 - 2:52pm
Ric

Seems so. My problem is that all those processes work so slowly that they spread over generations. My parents had a TV in 1960, black and white, and we had 2 channels which were broadcasting from 4pm to 10pm, that was it. So no big deal yet.

When I was out at 17 no phone or anything else. No CONTROL mechanism yet.

Today, In often "forget" my gadget at home for a day, and at night I get these accusations like Where have you been why didn't you answer the phone, chat or whatever.

A week ago I said, listen I'll trade in my stupidphone for a tablet (my eyes are bad), NO phone chip, and I'm not gonna buy a number anymore. Only Wifi when I happen to be at a hotspot. Get that into your head.

I'm fed up with that 24/7 useless babble. I got email for important issues - and there's NOTHING which is so important that it can't wait for a day or two.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 10, 2017 - 2:56pm
John

I understand that. With my partners in Africa I have an arrangement to be online here after 8pm unlimited on Whatsapp, Skype or mail - but during the day I'm off for everyone. I happen to be in a store buying groceries, hands full, and the damn thing starts to play heavy metal LOL.

Then, the one who called me says Why didn't you answer ? I say, listen, I was in a store, and then in a train where I had no network. Just forget it and send an email, dammit !
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 10, 2017 - 3:02pm
BTW

For emergencies I have another number only for my family in my 6-year old Galaxy Mini I use otherwise only as an mp3 player when in the train or plane. That will do, right ?
Tamara Wilhite Added Jul 10, 2017 - 3:30pm
Harvard scientist Robert Putnam found that diversity hurts civic life, reduces social trust, causes less involvement in politics and charity. It pushes tribalism / grouping when the minorities are large enough to form their own enclaves.
By importing more people from other parts of the world and in very large numbers, liberals have undermined social cohesion.

Diversity: History's pathway to chaos
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 10, 2017 - 3:39pm
I understand your frustration, Stone

I'm not frustrated at all :-) It's just what I see. We would be FORCED to cut back on all that - but probably it really needs a big war where everything is shattered to start anew - to slowly get back, during centuries or millenia to where we are NOW.

Remember: History repeats itself. It's in our genes, and they don't change so often ;-)
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 10, 2017 - 3:40pm
Tamara

Please....no "liberal" or other terms here. This is independent of any -isms or political orientations. It's about humans per se ;-)
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 10, 2017 - 3:49pm
All

As I said to Tamara - please regard the human being independently of any political orientation here. Because that development is also independent of any Zeitgeist issues and media stuff.

It's about the question: Will we be capable to restore a functioning social life in the future where we can openly talk to each other in person and use the words we want, like we had it only 50 years ago ?

Or will plastic culture completely run over all cultures, traditions and values and make us a planet of socially handicapped existences dancing to the same tunes, eating the same food and having the same POV and language with a little help of the Internet and mass media ?

(I'm talking about "Western culture" here, don't get me wrong. Although that "culture" is floating the planet by now. I find it most unfortunate)
Dino Manalis Added Jul 10, 2017 - 5:03pm
Being online all the time has made us more solitary!
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 10, 2017 - 5:22pm
Aatqa

There is none, I'm afraid. Only quitting our society one way or another, or by working in a field where it's not needed. Like butcher, carpenter, baker, farmer....means back to basics - what people really need ;-)
opher goodwin Added Jul 10, 2017 - 6:27pm
SEF - I have made some good friends on line. I enjoy exchanging views with people from different cultures all over the world. I enjoy that and I think it is important to open up that dialogue. I learn and grow. We all develop rapport. We are humans. I value that and I think it is important to connect us.
Having said that, it is not possible to replace the face to face contact of people in a room, sharing, laughing and arguing, agreeing, listening and grooving together. That interaction stems straight from the old hunter/gatherer campfires. It's irreplaceable and a totally different thing to being on line.
When you look into a person's eyes you see them - more than their words - more than anything they say. You see their motives and their soul (if I can steal a religious word and put it into the secular).
opher goodwin Added Jul 10, 2017 - 6:43pm
New Honesty - Too many hours spent on line. It detracts from time spent writing and face to face contact. I never thought I'd get sucked into it but I'm doing it right now - playing the game instead of living.
opher goodwin Added Jul 10, 2017 - 6:46pm
Ladies and gentlemen...
The president of the united states!
"fella americans...doot, doot, doot..."
He's been sick!--doot! doot!
And I think his wife is gonna bring him
Some chicken soup
Plastic people!
Oh, baby, now you're such a drag
I know it's hard to defend an unpopular policy
Every once in a while--
Plastic people!
Oh, baby, now you're such a drag
And there's this guy from the cia he's creepin'
Around laurel canyon
A fine little girl she waits for me
She's as plastic as she can be
She paints her face with plastic goo
And wrecks her hair with some shampoo
Plastic people
Oh, baby, now you're such a drag
"i dunno...sometimes I just get tired
Of ya honey--it's...ah..your
Hair spray...or something..."
Plastic people
Oh, baby, now you're such a drag
"i hear the sound of marching feet...
Down sunset boulevard to crescent heights
...and there...at pandora's box...
We are confronted with...a vast
Quantity of...plastic people..."
Take a day and walk around
Watch the nazi's run your town
Then go home and check yourself
You think we're singing
'bout someone else
But you're plastic people
Oh, baby, now
You're such a drag
Me see a neon moon above
I searched for years I found no love
I'm sure that love will never be
A product of plasticity
A product of plasticity
Plastic, plastic people--pla-ha-ha-ha
Ha-plastic--you are--your foot--your hair
--your nose--your arms--you suck--you love
--you are--your being is--you're plastic--blah
--blah--blah--blah plastic peoples
-a prune is not a vegetable
--cabbage is a vegetable; makes it o.k.
--plastic people--plastic people
--you dream about...you think about...you eat
...you are...ooo-hoo-hoo...
Purple prancing--plastic people-
Pee-pee-pee-pee-pee-peep!

Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 10, 2017 - 7:06pm
Who sung that ? It sure is a fact. Dumb botox-pumped-OMG-chicks and dumb all-shaven-sixpack dumbags.

No-brainers. Send them to the coming front. No other use for such zombies.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 10, 2017 - 7:08pm
BTW: Stupidity is a choice. And when you choose to be stupid, don't be surprised when you suddenly say HUH ? and then nothing anymore ;)
opher goodwin Added Jul 10, 2017 - 7:14pm
Frank Zappa back in the mid-sixties on one of his first albums.
Stupidity is deliberately inculcated by the establishment. They like stupid uninformed people.
Jeff Michka Added Jul 10, 2017 - 7:20pm
John F sez: I don't think you should blame liberal-minded people for a lack of social cohesion.-Tamara blames liberal-minded people for everything.  LIBERAL MINDED PEOPLE are like what Jews are to Tom Purcell.SEFa asks: Who sung that ? oG's lyrics from "PLASTIC People" were original to Frank Zappa and orig. Mothers of Invention (MOI).  More from "music from your childhood" to me...
wsucram15 Added Jul 10, 2017 - 7:42pm
Opher..I completely agree with you.
Having said that, I am still to this day, that person for some reason people walk up to and start a conversation.  I don't think people don't like to have face to face time. I think they are uncomfortable with approaching people now.  But I speak TO people and they speak back TO me.
 But I disagree with the assertion about "liberal" people and their lack of communication..thats actually funny.  However, you cant say that about Conservatives either, I have easily spoken with both, online and in person.

If you dont look unapproachable, people might just talk to you.  People talk to me when I am out and around, about the weirdest stuff and I talk back.  Perhaps Opher is right, they can see into you.  I have a friend that says its a "vibe" people pick up on..IDK.  Ive met interesting people sometimes. I met a cool person that now, we go out and take photos around Balto/DC, just from talking while trying on suits at Macys. Go figure.
The thing about talking face to face with people is you learn "stuff" and you cant do that, not really, by talking online.

But I have to say, I have met a couple of really interestingly cool people on here.
Michael B. Added Jul 10, 2017 - 8:48pm
Yeah, it's gotten to the point to where trying to talk to someone while they're pecking away at their dumbphones is tantamount to rudely interrupting a conversation between two real-world people.
Katharine Otto Added Jul 10, 2017 - 10:22pm
Stone-Eater,
Konrad Lorenz once wrote an essay about how warfare has changed with improved weapons.  Before guns, fights were hand to hand, such that you frequently had to make eye contact with the enemy.  With guns, that was no longer necessary, and with bombs, you may never know who you kill or maim.  His point was that "improved" technology has distanced people more and more from the consequences of their actions.

I think it's similar with long-distance communication. With the telephone, you can hear the other person, but you can't see or smell them, nor can you see facial expressions.  You certainly can't touch them.  On-line communication has its place, and maybe it is over-used, but I suspect many on-line addicts are afraid of intimacy. They depend on the electronic shield to hide their insecurities.  I think it is driven by loneliness, a desire to connect but a fear of being too close.

Agreed that the art of conversation has been lost, if it ever truly existed.  I know few people who can conduct a balanced conversation.  I attribute that to the fact that one-way communication is the norm, from TV, classrooms, churches, and lecture halls, to name a few.  Promoting more inter-active classrooms, I believe, would do a lot to get kids more involved, engaged, and interested.

George N Romey Added Jul 10, 2017 - 10:56pm
I've noticed the communication and social skills of people under 30 is awful. Today I'm asking questions of a 20 something that basically doesn't seem to know I am asking a question.
John G Added Jul 11, 2017 - 3:23am
Capitalism. It needs a lot of people that can't figure out how they're getting screwed to survive.
Mark Hunter Added Jul 11, 2017 - 4:15am
You're absolutely right. On the one hand, I'm as guilty of it as anyone. On the other hand, I've always been anti-social: Before the internet and smart phones came around, I could be found most often in a corner with my nose in a book, assuming I paused in my reading long enough to go out at all.

Strangely, it was becoming a volunteer firefighter that forced me to become more social. That's a team and a family, and participation with the group was part of the job in many areas.
Shane Laing Added Jul 11, 2017 - 5:35am
I deal with the travelling public on a daily basis.  People approach me asking for directions and as I start to assist them they ring someone and I just walk away. If anyone askes me a question I expect them to pay attention not play with their bloody phones that's family and friends included.
wsucram15 Added Jul 11, 2017 - 6:19am
But not everyone does that, and you do have to be patient. I know a few people that dabble in social media, but like myself could and do work around it.
If you are talking to someone and they take a call, what they asked you or are discussing isnt that important to them, excuse yourself and leave.  I usually wave and leave, letting people know my time is as valuable as their cell phone.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 11, 2017 - 8:48am
George

I've read many Americans believe that brown cows give chocolate milk. That about tops it, eh ? LOL
opher goodwin Added Jul 11, 2017 - 9:10am
Wsu - Yes. I think you've hit on it - if you are open and talkative people respond. There is an awkwardness about talking to strangers. We have to overcome it.
Mircea Negres Added Jul 11, 2017 - 10:17am
One day things will get so bad that a serial killer will walk into the nearest restaurant, decapitate half of the couples there, leave their phones on, and nobody will notice a thing until the restaurant's cleaner tweets about it after closing time. Stone-Eater, things are right where you said, and getting worse. Nice one, as usual.
George N Romey Added Jul 11, 2017 - 10:46am
I've been in meetings when the boss's personal cell phone would ring and no excuse me, or I have to take this, they simply just start yapping into their cell phone.  There are people at work that won't use the company phone for company calls, the simply must use their own personal cell phones.

People refuse to disconnect from the things like its some kind of life support system.

Technology is neither good nor bad in itself but we are becoming anti social and unable to relate as human beings anymore.  More and more I see where people will no longer sit in a room and thrash out ideas.  Its all about email, spreadsheets, texts and playing with their phone.
opher goodwin Added Jul 11, 2017 - 10:50am
George - It must have got worse since I retired six years ago. We have meetings, discussions and arguments.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 11, 2017 - 12:44pm
I think once we're forced to cut back heavily on consuming what we called social life could get a revival.
opher goodwin Added Jul 11, 2017 - 2:53pm
The simple life is the best life. With automation we were promised time for leisure. That never happened. It just meant the bosses creamed off more profits and people had to work longer on crap jobs. It's time we aimed for a three day week (on the same pay) and had time to meet up and natter.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 11, 2017 - 5:30pm
The simple life is the best life.

That's why I'm going back for good to Africa end of the year. I'm fed up with all that shit. And that's why I understand that Jeffry is in Thailand.

All those assholes who say that every Westerner lives in the area because he just wants cheap sex have understood fuck all of foreign cultures.
opher goodwin Added Jul 12, 2017 - 3:22am
The West is in a mess. Too much work, too much trivia and not enough genuine, meaningful interaction.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 12, 2017 - 11:33am
People who like a simple life in terms of not using their brain have paradise here ;-)
Bill Kamps Added Jul 12, 2017 - 12:33pm
Stone, you are right.  But again not black and white.  If not for technology, none of us would know YOU :)
Bill Kamps Added Jul 12, 2017 - 12:38pm
It was not that long ago, when people rarely communicated with others that were more than 20 miles away.  Usually more than that was a long distance phone call, with surcharges, so it just wasnt done.  Even when I started worked, I recall someone leaving a meeting stating that had a scheduled call with Chicago, like it was some remote, far off place that need special arrangements to make.

I recall my first trip to Brasil, and trying to "call" back to the US to talk to our  office.  Calling was almost impossible. I had to schedule a long distance phone line at the hotel, for the next day.  I could send a fax, because the fax would keep retrying, and within a couple of hours it would go through.

Unfortunately we are not very wise in how best to use technology.  It comes with both the good and bad.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 12, 2017 - 12:46pm
Bill

If not for technology, none of us would know YOU :)

That fact doesn't fill my pocket, though LOL
George N Romey Added Jul 12, 2017 - 12:49pm
Trump actually has used technology in an effective way albeit the message isn't always clear. Or someone in his inner circle.

I just wish people wouldn't use technology in place of human interaction. Email is fantastic, remember when you had to get out of your chair and go see someone for some mundane event. Thank god for email. However it's killing creativity, collaboration and relationships in the business world.

Emails are easy to ignore. Someone that comes to your office or cubicle to see you is not.
Bill Kamps Added Jul 12, 2017 - 12:50pm
No, but filling one's pocket is not what  this article was about :)  and it doesnt seem to be your  priority at the moment.
Bill Kamps Added Jul 12, 2017 - 12:56pm
George, agree, email especially over short distances, and Jeffery's example taken to absurd levels.

Email and text is fantastic for long distances, I can communicate with people in other countries, when calling may be too time consuming and inconvenient.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 12, 2017 - 2:02pm
George

Right. You may have ended on another discussion away from the original subject and would have missed the last episode of 2 1/2 men. Terrible thought. And you might have lost some calories by moving. Of course you could have taken your fries and chips along LOL
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 12, 2017 - 2:04pm
BTW: Email is great in case of memory loss.....and to send documents and stuff. But most people I know DO NOT read their mail regularly........because they had other nondigital things to do...
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 12, 2017 - 2:06pm
BTW2: I agree with Bill for the long distance and what it can help for people like me which are oriented to other continents on business (and private). That's really a big advantage.
Tubularsock Added Jul 12, 2017 - 4:03pm
Now Stone-Eater Friedli, think of the bright side. When Tubularsock gets on a bus or train there is no talking. Much like the libraries used to be. Everyone is so concerned about the latest Snapchat or Tweet because of the magnitude of importance that all is quiet.
Sweet!

Not to mention security! If someone tries to punch you all of a sudden there are 43 iPhones taking video!

It may be more of an issue in Europe. Tubularsock noticed that in "cafe-cultures" there was more interaction between people. In the U.S. we won't and never did share a table in a crowded cafe! "MY TABLE!" is the watchword.

Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 12, 2017 - 4:30pm
Tube

Oh !

"Warg !!"
"Yes, Stone ?"
"Is that true ?"
"......."
"Torg!"
"Yes, Stone ?"
"You say what, Warg don't listen."
"Huh ?"
"Ok, forget it."

My, myself and I (who was that again ?)

Explanation: Due to the antisocial tendency of our society I have 3 egos, Warg, Torg and me.

And even they refuse to communicate...erm...;-)

Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 12, 2017 - 4:33pm
"TORG !!!"

"Huuh ?"

*It has to be "me", not "my" !! Why the hell you don't notice my typos ?"

"Uh....what's a typo ?"

*sigh*

mark henry smith Added Jul 12, 2017 - 5:44pm
Stone, the topic of our time.

The boy and girl at the table don't want anyone to know what they're saying. There's power in that, secrecy. The bomber who blows up people he/she doesn't have to face is more likely to detonate.

Katherine is right on. There is power in these devices and the power is in the ability to mass disseminate a message instantly, just as a bomb has the power to disintegrate a mass of people instantly. It has been much of our undoing, but it is also our hope. I too go all over the world meeting people and reading their memes, commenting where appropriate, trying to make people laugh and think. It's always better to do it that way, laugh first, think later. And these kids do know each other in a way we never could, much more candidly.

There are great messages getting out, but the change in the political, religious, military, environmental, and economic spheres will take time to catch up with the changes in social communication. My hope is that we have that time. Time waits for no one, so I don't think it will wait for us, but I've been wrong before, happily.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 12, 2017 - 5:57pm
Marko

Thanks for joining in, but mostly the voice of reason is too small and too late, and then we get the big

HUH
George N Romey Added Jul 12, 2017 - 6:23pm
Just think 40 years ago the technology people were geeks, outcasts, nerds, weirdos. They were the ones at the Prom all alone in their strange little click wearing horrible clothes and with bad skin.  I should have befriended the one computer geek in college that was said to masturbate in his room seven times a day.  Today he probably has his own island with seven beautiful women that masturbate him seven times a day.

Today they make seven figures, wear the best of designer labels, drive the hottest cars, date the most beautiful chicks and are the most rich people on Earth. Damn, nerd revenge is a bitch.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 12, 2017 - 6:49pm
George

So what ? They too will die and won't remember all that. I wouldn't trade my life for theirs, believe me.

Why ?

Because I have always lived at existence level, but I managed to get along enough to see the world, and I could most of my life sleep as long as I wanted to.

A matter of priorities and a certain force to resist "public opinion*.
George N Romey Added Jul 12, 2017 - 6:58pm
SEF you have had a much fuller life than most.  Most people are so caught up in their job, their status, their possessions, their social media presence and all the other crap they can't see what they are really missing.  Consider yourself one lucky man and make peace with the fact that you were never a useful idiot for the "system."
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 12, 2017 - 7:04pm
George

I'm not lucky. It's a matter of choice and a question of if you consider your life being YOUR life or if you choose to live how others want you to live.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 12, 2017 - 7:08pm
BTW: That does not mean if you live your life you are "antisocial" or egoistic. It simply means that you know what you're doing and won't have anything to regret later when looking at the mirror.
George N Romey Added Jul 12, 2017 - 7:09pm
SEF lucky in the sense your instinct told you that a life centered around possessions is far less superior and rewardingthan a life full of experiences.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 12, 2017 - 7:23pm
George

True. Don't ask me where that came from. No idea. Probably some kind of '69 influence....
Nancy E Head Added Jul 12, 2017 - 7:46pm
Surrounded by people but all alone. People all around us but no connections. Or our connections are easily broken.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 12, 2017 - 7:52pm
Nancy

Our lifestyle and media made us superficial. No easy escape....
Jeff Michka Added Jul 12, 2017 - 9:39pm
Just say "No."  It does work. Nancy expresses the dillusion most have: Surrounded by people but all alone.-surrounded by people's keystrokes, but that's all there ever was...
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 13, 2017 - 5:50am
Here doors are closed and appointments are made at a sharp time. In other societies doors are open and people come and go. The main difference, and I love it :-)
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 13, 2017 - 5:56am
BTW: The main difference is: here work / private is strictly separated. Sorry for endlessly mentioning Africa (that's what I know at least), but there work is

a) a means to survive on
b) work is done not according to schedule but to need
c) time is relative...
d) your co-workers are your friends who know you also in private

Except for banks and offices, there's no fixed opening or closing hour. And even in offices you can drop by a friend's work place while he's working, and he'll make a coffee or tea and you chat for a while.

All in all life is harder in terms of comfort, but stress-free. Very social :-)
opher goodwin Added Jul 13, 2017 - 10:25am
My experiences of Africa have all been positive.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 13, 2017 - 11:08am
Opher

Thanks !

My dear friend and business partner in Senegal was talking once to a friend of his who had following conversation with an European (no joke !) :

"So you are African from Senegal ? Is it true that most people there still have houses in trees ??"

"Yes, of course. Your ambassador here lives in the tallest tree, actually."

I cracked up on that one !
wsucram15 Added Jul 13, 2017 - 12:07pm
SEF..at the end of the day, its about people and communication. Bill is right we all met you. So go with that because its a positive.  No matter what you do, you made an impression and no paper or picture can take that place.
The impressions you leave are the stories left behind.
opher goodwin Added Jul 13, 2017 - 12:17pm
SEF - Most people don't travel. They have little understanding of the world apart from their prejudices.
I found Africa full of intelligent interesting people who were friendly and welcoming. It was poor though. A lot of the infrastructure was in need of finance. There is so much corruption and exploitation. I'd like to see it given a better deal.
The valuing of education was heartening.
Tracy Kolenchuk Added Jul 13, 2017 - 12:26pm
Business, capitalism, hates community.  It wants to sell to individuals, because communities, sharing, results in fewer sales. Business, capitalism, promotes individualism, because it improves sales and thus, by the strange economics of today, benefits the 'economy'. Those who think capitalism promotes individualism for their personal benefit, are simply mistaken. They have been duped.
wsucram15 Added Jul 13, 2017 - 12:30pm
Stone..from MArc
Harness, Criminal Instinct, Vein, Higher Power, Axis, Bind, Invoke, Firewalker, No Warning, And I think you know this one but..Every Time I Die and of course Trapped Under Ice.
He didnt have much time..but said try them on..and let him know what direction you were headed so he could give you different bands.  I only know the last two.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 13, 2017 - 1:04pm
Jeanne

Thanks. Almost poetic LOL
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 13, 2017 - 1:07pm
Opher

There is so much corruption and exploitation

That's what I've been fighting for for the last 25 years. Never give up, help and spread the info. But you see, corruption and exploitation are human attributes, no matter where on that planet. You apparently can't change genes.

Some will always be different, but they will never be a majority.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 13, 2017 - 1:12pm
Tracy

Business, capitalism, hates community

True. Divide and rule on the smallest scale. iShit has perfected that cognitive dissonance by selling a product under the label of "individuality" and belonging to a "special club" to BILLIONS LOL

Psychology sells best.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 13, 2017 - 1:21pm
+++ off topic +++

Jeanne

Say hello to Marc and thanks ! You see, I don't like too much Growls in music....rather like

Leprous - Chronic

...or stuff like Soilwork when it comes to that sort of sound :-)
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 13, 2017 - 1:24pm
BTW: THAT song is hypnotic....listen carefully :-)
Jeff Michka Added Jul 13, 2017 - 2:40pm
Jeffrey Kelly mentioned: "But," I said, "Don't you want boys to pay attention to you and talk to you?"
"They were talking, uncle Jeff."
Sigh.- Were either passing salt or pepper shaker to the other?  I watched a family of six text one end of the table to the other to "Pass the butter."  Time for return dialogue about how "...if we squeeze you right there, will you pass some more?":-)
opher goodwin Added Jul 13, 2017 - 6:43pm
SEF - you can't change genes but you can change behaviour. We do progress as a species. If you study history most of us are much nicer now than we used to be.
Education is key. We need to teach people to care.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 14, 2017 - 3:35pm
Peggy

Good description. I agree. But there is hope. More and more Africans see that our way of life destroys us, and I hope that they learn from our mistakes. The ones I know do.
wsucram15 Added Jul 16, 2017 - 5:24pm
SEF..Sorry I didnt listen to them first.  He just ran me some bands up the list.
I will give him your band names and he will list bands for you, he does it for me.  Hes like an encyclopedia of underground stuff.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 17, 2017 - 6:28am
Thanks Jeanne !
Jeff Michka Added Aug 6, 2017 - 9:22pm
wsucram15 said: SEF..Sorry I didnt listen to them first.- Wow, was just talking with someone I use to work with about how our PD at a radio station made sending anything for airplay unauditioned a firing offense.  LOL For shame!

Recent Articles by Writers Stone-Eater Friedli follows.