When you are forced to watch CNN and other TV programming

When you are forced to watch CNN and other TV programming: No, you cannot just change the channel, and you cannot turn the TV off.  WHY???

You are sitting in a waiting room for an appointment to see your doctor, or dentist while the TV is on showing you CNN or the View, or some other show.  You are in a restaurant that has TVs on various channels or you are at the airport where TV screens are showing programming that is not your choice.

Think about it, if you leave your house, it is likely that you will be exposed to TV programming that is not your choice, and you cannot turn the channel nor turn it off.  Doesn't this trounce the idea that if you don't like it just turn it off?

Information seeps in consciously and unconsciously through all the various means.  This drip, drip of information does seem to have the maximum effect on the young and novice of thought in the development of a particular mindset.

Because of the exposure to mixed messages and misinformation the situation has become ripe for subversive chaos among much of the public that have been lead towards political rage and disrespect.  This is why there must be a continued effect to call out fake News and fake rage by the mainstream media.

Comments

Shane Laing Added Jul 11, 2017 - 5:56am
The benefits of being a smoker or vaper. I just go outside and have a vape for 5 mins.  Same with songs being played in stores at Christmas over and over again.
Tom C. Purcell Added Jul 11, 2017 - 9:45am
When I watched Tucker Carlson report just last night that, "CNN's ratings have dipped below Nickelodeon sitcom reruns in primetime, that's not good", it garnered a hearty laugh from me.
Opes Added Jul 11, 2017 - 9:58am
Shane, Leaving the room to avoid these shows is not always an option, but when it is of course people can do that at what might be some inconvenience.
Opes Added Jul 11, 2017 - 10:06am
Tom, There seems to be a few shows and TV networks that have sustainability when they should not.  The low ratings might not matter for CNN and others because of various dynamics.  Its similar to a junk bonds market situation where a company is propped up through some fancy footwork financial maneuvers.  Heck, if low opinions and low ratings really mattered, we would have a totally different congress too.
George N Romey Added Jul 11, 2017 - 10:20am
That's when I pull out my phone and earbuds and tune into a YouTube channel.  I can't stand to watch those grossly paid clowns.
Bill H. Added Jul 11, 2017 - 12:29pm

I myself absorb all flavors of news to try and find the truth, and to try an analyze how both "sides" see things, which is amazing to me. I use other sources such as monitoring short wave broadcasts from all over the world in an attempt to get all views.
To hide from a certain source pretty much exposes one as being bubbleized and only open to hear or see the only the "truths" or words that are comfortable to their own etched-in beliefs, or what they have been told to believe by their party of choice.
Opes Added Jul 11, 2017 - 1:27pm
That is a relatively a fair point on the surface of things Bill H.  Having an exposure to various views, perspectives, and knowledge (information/data).  However, in the extreme where there are mangled mixtures of objective/subjective material, it is a tough world.  Some material is rather grotesque that I would bet you and me would want to avoid if at all possible.

Sure, its seems bad to be locked in the an echo-chamber for a worldview and for self perspective.  However, there is hopefully enough of a checks and balances on the forced TV programming that is out there, that at times the public is unable to avoid hearing and seeing, and where false News might be interpreted as real News.
Dino Manalis Added Jul 11, 2017 - 2:28pm
 CNN is very often a preferred choice, people may or may not wish to pay attention, but CNN should become more credible by critiquing all politicians on the Right and Left to gain public support and become an advocate for the people, not the special interests.
mark henry smith Added Jul 11, 2017 - 3:45pm
Tucker Carlson really said, "That's not right."?

In TV land there is no right beyond ratings. I was at a party and a woman who works for Hulu said there is no such thing a plagiarism, a Jewish woman. When I asked why she could possibly say this, she replied, "There's only one story and it's not who wrote it, but how funny you can make it."

I was so flabbergasted by this limited argument, that I just sat there shaking my head. She asked me, "What?"

I said, "So that's the plan, is it? No deep thoughts. No anguished moments. Just a whole lot of laughs." If we don't recognized the value of deep thought, deconstruction, getting to the point, it will cease to exist in us. Same with anguish, loss, pain. The rule will be, laugh it off and keep working."

My nephew laughed and said, "Keep drinking is more accurate." Drugs, sex, and rock-and-roll made this world we live in today. That and a lack of integrity.
Bill H. Added Jul 11, 2017 - 6:42pm
In my opinion, I do find that Trump seems to enjoy as much publicity as possible, be it favorable or unfavorable. It's almost like he deliberately creates situations that newspeople crave and can't get enough of, so essentially he is baiting them. Also the fact that he early in his campaign decided to label the news media as "The enemy of the people" and "fake news", he gets the retaliation and pay back that he seems to crave.
I'm certain that he had a similar demeanor such as John Kasich, the newspeople would actually love him, no matter his party.
Cuckoo o'clock Added Jul 11, 2017 - 6:45pm
I don't think that's true. I don't watch tv anywhere. Where are all of these televisions? In restaurants?! What restaurant has televisions? That's the weirdest thing I've ever heard.

You are right though, CNN is always on at the airport. So put on your headphones or take a walk!
Opes Added Jul 11, 2017 - 9:45pm
Cuckoo, Here is a short list of places where televisions are on for public viewing - Restaurants [Chili's, Applebees, Bars/Pubs, Some Diners and Cafeterias]

Jenifer Frost Added Jul 11, 2017 - 11:28pm
This article is a good argument for avoiding the mentioned restaurants (which I already do) and otherwise bringing your smartphone with some decent Bluetooth headphones to be able to watch your own choices of programming.
Mark Hunter Added Jul 12, 2017 - 12:44am
I've spent a lot of time in medical waiting rooms in recent years, but I've found my phone, iPad, or just a good book can usually occupy my mind and drown out the TV. Still, I do have ongoing nightmares of forgetting all of them and being trapped in a waiting room with "The View".
Mark Hunter Added Jul 12, 2017 - 12:47am
Buffalo Wild Wings, Cuckoo -- TV's all over the friggin' place, but usually all tuned to sports. I've also seen TV's on in the local McDonalds and Burger King, and I believe they have them on in Applebees, too.
Jenifer Frost Added Jul 12, 2017 - 1:36am
At my doctor's office they always play soaps, but it's not the one I like, so I have my phone.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 12, 2017 - 8:52am
No true. I simply don't notice that stuff, or, I take it as useless entertainment. Reality soap. For info or news there are enuff alternatives available on the net which deliver background infos, youtube channels where real experts and historians can enlighten us and broaden our perspective.

IF one is interested, that is...

Henry Ortiz Added Jul 12, 2017 - 11:50am
Two points:
1- It is true you are stuck with those channels, whatever the program is, very uncomfortable. But as almost all commenters said, iPads, smart phones, etc. are the solution.
2- From a different perspective, I agree with Bill H. We need to hear from every trend, all of them have information, it is up to you if blindly believe everything they say, or perform a good research and get more intelligent conclusions.
Opes Added Jul 12, 2017 - 1:30pm
Yes, bring ear buds is something to remember. But, has anyone been to a doctor office where there is a sign saying NO cell phone use, I have. Okay, that's a minor issue.

Getting various perspectives is good to some extent.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 12, 2017 - 2:33pm
My doctor doesn't have a TV or anything else in his waiting room. I'm his network guy and installed Wifi there so that's fixed LOL
Jenifer Frost Added Jul 12, 2017 - 2:33pm
Opes writes "But, has anyone been to a doctor office where there is a sign saying NO cell phone use, I have."
I have not, but if they had both a TV and that policy they would be minus one customer. You can have one or the other but you can't have it both ways, that's a little bit too much.
Bill H. Added Jul 12, 2017 - 3:05pm

Many establishments still post "no cell phones, please" signs simply to protect the rest of us from those who use their phones in an unacceptable manner, such as allowing audible rings, text bleeps, keyboard clicks, and the classic "OMG!, I THINK ALEXA IS LIKE STILL HAVING SEX WITH JEREMY, AND LIKE I THINK SHE IS LIKE PREGNANT!!" loud-ass conversations that we all have to endure (many times even with the speaker on).
One restaurant I go to still uses a jammer to keep things under control (illegal, but comforting), resulting in people actually having conversations and interacting with each other (what a concept!).
In the case of Doctors offices and many medical facilities, cell phones can actually interfere with medical electronics and patient monitoring systems, so it is also done as a precaution. This is supposedly becoming less of an issue as newer equipment begins to meet new susceptibility standards, but with the proliferation of more phones and frequency of usage, RF energy fields are increased as multiple devices transmit in a concentrated area which will essentially keep this an issue for some time.
Dr. Rupert Green Added Jul 13, 2017 - 3:33am
Shane, George and Bill hit it on the head. Draw out your device and listen to programming of your choice and choosing. However, if your preference is to listen to program B all the time, then if it is a conservative station,  it will fails to televise  the revolution that is emerging from the 'hood. Then you would be out in the cold.  Interestingly, it appears you are uncomfortable for not being able to have others listen to program a television in your business establishment would run.

A danger I sense in all this fake news proclamation is the mobilizing of bias against the press as a way of censoring them.  Remember how Bush censored the press by inbedding/bedding them.  It is a dangerous thing for our press to be discredited. Laws need to be tightened around them. Problem is the government it is sworn to watch which will tighten the law.
Opes Added Jul 13, 2017 - 7:50am
Bill H., It does seem that some people intentionally talk on their phones to allow eavesdropping.  We are in a narcissistic environment and often around heightened self-centeredness.  The cell phone dead zones are one answer, and that does not interfere with playing loaded music/books/games on personal devices.
Opes Added Jul 13, 2017 - 8:00am
Rupert, It is quite often said with authority that if you don't like it, just change the channel or turn it off, is that so simple? The issue surrounding this is that people can be trapped in a waiting room (or other venues) where TV programming is blasted at you.

Concentrated bias through gaining data in just one very narrow lane can have some interesting outcomes.  It makes me think of cults and the various noninclusive entities.  Specialization is a form of concentrated bias too.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 13, 2017 - 9:03am
Bill

What is this LIKE shit people seem to be addicted to ? My daughter also misses no opportunity to yell OMG in German all the time.

Fucking US adoption. I told her if you keep that habit I'll send you to him LOL

Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 13, 2017 - 9:04am
Adaption sorry. My pulse went suddenly off limits LOL
Ric Wells Added Jul 13, 2017 - 9:42am
Take a book with you to read. Simple.
Bill H. Added Jul 13, 2017 - 11:59am

SEF - Just another generation of "Teen Tongue" I guess. Back in my day it started with "That's cool, man" (which has now migrated to "kewl"), far out, heavy, oh wow!, etc. Sentences are still sprinkled with "and uhh", "you know" (if you ever watch sport figure interviews). These days the "Like" syndrome, along with the overuse of "Ohhhhhhhhhhhwaah...........mygod" and phrases like "I was like", "I'm so like", "they were like", "I'm like" seem to permeate the conversations of kids in early elementary school all the way up to the 50 year old parents who want their kids to think they are still cool.
Bill H. Added Jul 13, 2017 - 12:07pm
News is delivered these days to appeal with the mostly blinded and bubbled audience. Fox's goal is to try and defend everything Trump says and does, as MSNBC for example needs to try and keep up with all of his controversies and "truth stretching". I enjoy watching both sides in my venture to try and figure out what makes some people tick. I know where to go to find real facts, but it does require an effort.
Many times truth is uncomfortable and hard to digest, especially in this day of "me". People for the most part will not watch or listen to something they are not comfortable with.
Tracy Kolenchuk Added Jul 13, 2017 - 12:22pm
I take a book when I go to the doctor or dentist.  With my nose in a book, I don't see or hear the television..
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Jul 13, 2017 - 1:02pm
Bill

Thanks for explaining. Now I feel kind of like informed ;-)
Jeff Michka Added Jul 13, 2017 - 2:59pm
From the title of the article, all the way through comments there's this "forced" element of "forced to watch."  People just walk up to you, pull a gun and demand you watch something? Under penalty of death, or just what?  Amazing.
Ric Wells Added Jul 13, 2017 - 3:09pm
Ric Wells Added Jul 13, 2017 - 3:12pm
Unless you're the CNN police. You vill vatch this and you vill enjoy it. lol.
Jeff Michka Added Jul 13, 2017 - 4:59pm
Ric Wells notes: Same impression here Jeff. That's why I posted bring a book. No one or nothing is forcing you to watch it or any other channel.-Not seeing anyone over reacting and talking about being forced to read a book.  I guess, to your last comment, "The news director ist liffing on injections..."
Jenifer Frost Added Jul 13, 2017 - 6:13pm
Correction Bill, MSNBC's objective is to endlessly push Russophobic Russiagate conspiracy theories, Trump is only a secondary concern, and only then if it has to do with demonizing Russia.
Opes Added Jul 13, 2017 - 6:22pm
Jeff and Ric, It is possible to read a book or other material of course that focuses attention strong enough that hearing the TV is ignored. Some people can concentrate their thought to the exclusion of what is going on around them.
George N Romey Added Jul 13, 2017 - 6:28pm
My belief is that MSNBC, CNN and Fox are all loyal to the Deep State. It pains me to say this but I'd say less Fox but that doesn't necessarily make them right. The Deep State is scared of Trump because he is a loose cannon and can't be forced to tow the line.  Again not that Trump will get much done or purposely go after the Deep State but something he might say or do in his buffoonery might cause damage to the Deep State.

The good news is that I speak as much as I can to a very broad brush of the American people and very, very few have any faith in our government or our private sector.  Most of them believe another and even worse economic calamity is in the making.  The Deep State is losing control.  Moreover, the Deep State has become very fragmented as they jockey for best position.

There will be an end to this and more importantly a new beginning. Debt will forgiven and large corrupt financial institutions will be left to fail.  Large corporations that have outsourced or laid off for "profit enhancement" will be hit by slack demand and be forced to become smaller.  Local business will flourish again.  We will enter an era of productive investment and savings again.  Maybe this time it will last more than 30 years.

Life is about birth and death in many ways and this destructive cycle to society that began in the 1980s (and even before to a certain extent) will eventually die.  Evil systems led by the few tend to eventually fall apart.
Bill H. Added Jul 13, 2017 - 6:57pm

Interesting to note that a popular item demanded by some Cable TV subscribers during the pre-digital era (prior to 2008) was a device called a trap designed to eliminate either FOX News, CNN, or MSNBC from entering a subscriber's house so as not to "pollute the mind of our children". It was a spinoff of traps that some subscribers used to trap out the scrambled X-rated channels that were on the system, but would still provide programming audio.
Certainly don't want the kids tuning into either the Commie Pinko MSNBC channel or the Fascist FOX News Channel now, do we?
George N Romey Added Jul 13, 2017 - 7:07pm
I know that I'm moving OT here but can't start another article.  We tend to believe our history in the US to be very linear.  The truth is that even during times of great change there have been vastly different opinions starting with the formation of our government.

At the time of the Civil War some supported slavery only in certain states, or freedom to only new borns (current slaves would remain slaves) or to give slave owners the choice of what they wanted to do with their slaves.  On a minority of white Americans supported all out abolishment of slavery, even Lincoln originally opposed total freedom.

In WW1 America supported Germany for the first couple of years and even for WW2 there was wide support for Germany well into 1941 (turns out the Germans loved buying lots of our yankee doodle dandy factory goods).

We've never been a country that has agreed on much and I suspect maybe we never will.  Years from now people will look back on 2016 and say it was when Americans began to reject the establishment in mass but little might be told of how divided we were as a nation.
Jenifer Frost Added Jul 13, 2017 - 7:18pm
One thing I love about having my TV through Hulu instead of cable is there is no annoying mainstream media outlet news whatsoever. No boring as hell sports either. I get my news entirely online and entirely from progressive and moderate independent journalism sites like Truthdig Truthout, OpEdNews, Information Clearing House, Counterpunch, Zero Hedge, and Consortiumnews, as well as a few great unaffiliated independent journalists.
Jeff Michka Added Jul 13, 2017 - 8:54pm
Geo Romey touts the media moguls:  the Deep State but something he might say or do in his buffoonery might cause damage to the Deep State.- Shoulda known it was the deep state again.  Just where/when do they get all this planning and plotting accomplished?  Interesting, but Perfect Priestess JenJen and Geo never talk much about books.  Yeah, Opes, it's true: Some people can concentrate their thought to the exclusion of what is going on around them. -That is the mark of a good book, IMO.  Get into a good book and all else fades away.  Part of the magic and the strength of a good tale or narrative.
Jeff Michka Added Jul 18, 2017 - 9:33pm
I get my news entirely online and entirely from Truthdig Truthout, OpEdNews, Information Clearing House, Counterpunch, Zero Hedge, and Consortiumnews, AND the Medium, JenJen, not to forget. LOL