Let's Talk About the Ten Percent

I was talking with a young lady I don't know on the phone yesterday. She's the friend of a friend and she and he were having a long discussion of his problems; he's alcoholic, but loves to drink, a caricature of the Mickey Roarke character in Barfly, just got a second DUI, lost his job, lives at home with his mother, who is freaking out about his behavior, trying to get him to submit to taking drugs that might make his drinking untenable, but this kid drinks even when he's on the medication, drinks when normal people need resuscitation, has no desire to change a thing, but plays the game. He's part of the 90 %.

We were playing golf while this conversation was happening, so when it was his turn to hit his ball, he'd hand me the phone and I'd talk to this young lady who I don't know and it didn't take long before she was very curious about how I live without owning anything; no bills, no income, no worries. She wanted me to tell her how I do it and I couldn't because I don't fully understand, except to say that I'm connected to God in a way few people on this planet are, or ever have been.

And I'm part of the ten percent. That's the ten percent who are completely honest when they say they won't steal from you. She asked why people believe me when I say that and I tell her it's because I don't care about stuff. I care about relationships and the relationship I care most about is my relationship with God.

Honestly, I don't think God cares if I steal or don't steal. God would still love me anyway because I'm extremely interesting to God. I don't steal because I've learned that it doesn't help me in achieving the goals I hope to bring to fruition. All it does is hold me back. So many things that we think are a step forward in our lives, things that give us a sense of privilege, are often enormous steps backwards.

In the scheme of things, how you get what you want has more to do with your future sense of well being than the things themselves. And in that vein, how you get to God matters most to me. Remember, ten percent find God honesty. The rest just lie about their relationship and anything else they can think of.

I suggested that the woman and I go out and have a drink some time and a long talk. She said that she would enjoy that. Thank God she doesn't know me.

Comments

mark henry smith Added Jul 27, 2017 - 12:11pm
How many of you have met a person who truly has given their life over to God? And I know there are people like Stone who don't believe there is a God, and that's okay. God doesn't need our belief to exist and we don't need that belief to exist. But to be honest requires God, or more help from our friends than they can possibly provide.
George N Romey Added Jul 27, 2017 - 4:37pm
I'm not particularly religious although I'm spiritual. I believe in karma. If someone is religious and it gives them comfort in life who am I to judge?  I believe that if people actually followed the word of Jesus we'd be a much better country and people.
Dino Manalis Added Jul 27, 2017 - 5:04pm
Good for you!  All the Best!
Tubularsock Added Jul 27, 2017 - 6:30pm
MHS, Tubularsock IS God and yes, steal if you want to.
But Tubularsock does agree that most of the shit people struggle to obtain to show they are worth something is just shit in the way to God. Less is better!
Sounds like you are heading in the correct direction if there is a direction that is correct in an illusion. Cheers.
mark henry smith Added Jul 28, 2017 - 12:25pm
Thanks all, well, I wasn't that happy with this one, started to sound too preachy, but we only know things by their opposites. Saw the crazy kid yesterday, and he tried to hit me at one point and I blocked his attempt and he got a little hurt in the process. He said, "I didn't expect you to block it."

I said, "That was your second mistake."
Lady Sekhmetnakt Added Jul 29, 2017 - 5:59pm
I have one friend who is like family, and I trust her to never steal a penny from me, she's like a sister. Not a lot like that in the world.

The Roma (Gypsys) have a legend that supposedly when Jesus was to be crucified, in addition to the other Iron nails, a golden nail was forged to be put through Jesus's heart. The Gypsys stole it and from that day forward have God's permission to steal.
Katharine Otto Added Jul 29, 2017 - 10:00pm
MHS,
Does that guy know you're planning to have drinks with his girlfriend?

Seriously, God means different things to different people, and the monotheistic tradition is not mine. Too paternalistic, too human-centered for my tastes. Call me a "pantheist," but I do believe it all comes down to love.  Even hate is love turned upside down. Sin is its own punishment.

Stealing seems to be the norm, these days, at every level of society.  "Do unto others before they do unto you."  Honesty is rare.  If you want freedom, get rid of stuff, and you seem to have learned this.  Good for you. Seems I'm constantly shedding stuff but still have a long way to go before realizing my dream of travelling with nothing but a toothbrush and a rice bowl, offering blessings for a meal and a roof for the night.

Recent Articles by Writers mark henry smith follows.