Music you never heard, part II

With Stone-Eater's kind permission to appropriate the title....

A lot of our readers seem to identify with music which comes from what has come to be known as, for right or wrong, the period of "classic rock".  Chronologically I might say that this spans a time frame from 1964 to about 1978. Perhaps a bit later. Speaking for myself I can say that I "cut my musical teeth" on much of the music from this period. The rock music, anyway. I have always been out in the alternative fringes I'd guess one might say. When others were rocking out on things like Black Sabbath or AC/DC, or "country fried rock" like Lynyrd Skynyrd or the Allman Brothers, I instead gravitated to prog rock and other alternatives off of the mainstream.  The Beatles were my first choice and evolved to the likes of Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Rush, Bowie....just to name a few. Of course the roster would not be complete without the real rockers like the Stones, The Who, Zeppelin. These were my early influences.

I guess for no other reason than the times that I have lived in I was able to make the transition into the golden age of "alternative" that began in the late 70s and burgeoned through the 80s. "Pop" music from any era has always been an anathema to my ears. I developed quite a taste for many alternative acts in the 80s. Psych Furs, Cabaret Voltaire, Echo and the Bunnymen, Cocteau Twins, New Order, Camper van Beethoven, Adam and the Ants....thats only a handful. Too many to name. The late 80s / early 90s brought us neo-psychedelia and shoegaze and grunge, each with their standards: Stone Roses, Slowdive, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins. I was fooled into thinking that this was the progression. Well it was, but the industry took other directions, fueling the mainstream with new forms of garbage. The growth, the creativity, the standard bearers for that "next wave" went underground and formed what I call "the indieverse", and this is where I have resided musically ever since.  Some of this genre, if it is indeed such a thing, may be familiar to some here. If so then I am pleased to hear it. If you are like me and lament the direction of the mainstream and have not heard of these I hope you would take the time to look these up and give them a listen. AND.... I certainly welcome suggestions from others.

In no particular order then....

The Orb -  Evolved out of the DJ/Club scene, Alex Patterson is (was?) the driving force. A great innovator and brilliant use of digital sampling. If you don't think you know them I can tell you that you probably have heard some of their music in commercials, most notably the track Little Fluffy Clouds. They have a sizable volume of work, but IMHO some of their best comes from their live collection Orb Live 93, featuring album art in homage to Pink Floyd's Animals LP. Towers of Dub and Perpetual Dawn are my favs

Broken Social Scene -  This is a Toronto "band", though I would say they are better described as an ensemble. Their numbers range anywhere from 11 to 20. They make a BIG sound, but is not just loud noise. A studied listen and you will discover that their sound is intricate and complex, their composition very disciplined. Their song Lovers Spit was featured in HBO's Queer as Folk. Again there is an extensive catalogue so I encourage you to explore anything you can find. Among their better tracks (I think) are Ibi dreams of Pavement and Swimmers

Silversun Pickups -  This is a California band, a little more recent. If you want to hear rock like you've not heard in an age check out their track Lazy Eye. The guitars are chilling.

Neutral Milk Hotel -  This is an American act that emerged in the late 90s and have been on and off again since. The creative force behind NMH is singer/songwriter Jeff Mangum. Where Jeff's voice may be wanting he more than makes up in his deep and profound lyrics. The man is a poet. I highly recommend the entire LP In the Aeroplane over the Sea. It is almost a rock opera in some ways, a la Tommy, with a theme throughout revolving around the story of Anne Frank. On Avery Island is an earlier LP with some very witty verses, most notably in the track Song Against Sex.

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Around since about 2005 this is another clever band. The vocals on some tracks may be hard for some to take with a frequent use of "country falsetto", but if you can get past this the music is tightly stitched with an infectious tempo. Best tracks are Skin of my Yellow Country Teeth and Maniac. A great band to see live

Flaming Lips -  This is one which is the most likely to be familiar. They have actually been around since 1982 and hail from the highly unlikely venue of Oklahoma City. Several of their tracks were featured in the first animated feature of Shrek. Many of their songs have also been featured in commercials. The W.A.N.D is a jarring piece of music with some phenomenal drumming. Flaming Lips also have a large catalogue to choose from. If you like the Beatles' I want you/Shes so heavy check out their 19 minute live version on YouTube and crank up the volume

Mum - This Icelandic ensemble is a phenomenal talent, better known I suspect in Europe than here. On YouTube there are a number of live versions of their song We Have a Map of the Piano. They are ALL good, check out any of them.

Sigur Ros - Another Icelandic group. Check out Svefn-g-englar. The use of a cello bow on the guitar creates some haunting soundscapes

Ok, last one. This is more of a recommendation of a specific video. On YouTube type in on their search bar "Noonday Underground, Barcelona". Noonday Underground the band, Barcelona the song. Great, great song and the film to match is phenomenal.

Thats all I have, folks. Other suggestions? Lets hear 'em!

Comments

opher goodwin Added Aug 5, 2017 - 5:55pm
Burghal - very interesting. I have only heard of 2 - the Orb and Flaming Lips. I will check the others out - though for some reason I have no sound on my computer. Something is wrong. It limits my investigating.
In recent times my tastes have gone to Jake Bugg, Strypes, Nick Harper and North Mississippi Allstars. A bit more of the raw R&B/Blues sound - although Nick is an amazing singer/songwriter/guitarist.
The Burghal Hidage Added Aug 5, 2017 - 7:35pm
If you like New Order? Check out the band OK Go and their song The Writing's on the Wall

If you liked Bauhaus check out the Russian band Kino and their song Gruppa Krovi
Jeff Jackson Added Aug 5, 2017 - 8:58pm
Burghal- there are two bands that never made much in the commercial one called Sopwith Camel- that my sister listened to and they were pretty good. Another called Camel, with an album titled "Mirage" and another titled "The Snow Goose." Both on YouTube and well worth a listen. Give them a try.
Camel reminds me a lot of early Genesis, and sometimes the instrumental sound of the early Allman Brothers. The problem is that there are a lot, and I mean a lot of really good musicians out there, but they never got any airplay. In the mean time, all of this really good music remains in the cobwebs of record collectors, while the "classic rock" radio plays "Stairway to Heaven" and "Freebird" at least once a day. I have always listened to obscure music, and turned more than a few people on to great music that just never got any airplay. The real shame is all of the air time that is wasted on popular groups, that, while good, could have some competition if the radio people would open up their ears just once in a while.
wsucram15 Added Aug 5, 2017 - 9:49pm
Sigur Ros has been my favorite band since 2009. I love Jonsi's voice and the talent they have. I like them all..but this is my fav..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmD-9_ZifB8

I like Lazuli (got that from SEF)..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-GsO_0l_dM

I like UK..(70s)...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VAzkN_qJig
Absolutely no guitar..lead electric violin and its hard as shit.

I like Angel..( late 70s)..crazy live..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5Cc-9Wij_M&list=RDK5Cc-9Wij_M#t=5   Listen to Tower, not my favorite but most people consider it their best song.

I love the Orb..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5Cc-9Wij_M&list=RDK5Cc-9Wij_M#t=5   ( a friend of mine got me to listen to this..)
I like this alos from them, but am still out on some of their other PF stuff....this is good though.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC20U42Xih0
I like MGMT on that note..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmZexg8sxyk
most underground punk and hardcore, anything GOOD that is ambient or prog.
I love experimental stuff...bands that play with the music.   Then again, you know sometimes you just need a dose of serious rock n roll.

wsucram15 Added Aug 5, 2017 - 10:49pm
wsucram15 Added Aug 5, 2017 - 10:50pm
Jeff..touche'
opher goodwin Added Aug 6, 2017 - 4:12am
Burghal - so much to listen to - so little time.
opher goodwin Added Aug 6, 2017 - 4:14am
Jeff - one of my friends was in Sopwith Camel briefly - Keith Cross (later of T2 and Cross and Ross) - brilliant guitarist. I did not think anybody had ever heard of them.
opher goodwin Added Aug 6, 2017 - 4:18am
Jeff - I used to have a Camel album - not sure if I've still got it. But I did not really get into Prog. I saw early Yes and Genesis, Man and East of Eden, and King Crimson in Hyde Park, and Pink Floyd were one of my favourites but I preferred something punchier. I liked Captain Beefheart, Hendrix, Doors and Cream.
Mark Hunter Added Aug 6, 2017 - 4:21am
The only one I've heard of is Flaming Lips. In my younger years we didn't get exposed to much outside the mainstream ... although between my brother then, my music teacher later, and my wife now, I've been getting a lot more eclectic.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Aug 6, 2017 - 5:25am
TBH

The Eighties left no positive trace in my ears. Except maybe It Bites. But when Radiohead and Indie in general had a revival I was all ears again. Then came Art Rock, Prog Metal (no growls please), Math Metal and Djents and I forgot my roots LOL

Stone-Eater Friedli Added Aug 6, 2017 - 5:27am
BTW Maybe because I stopped listening to radio about 20 years ago...
Mark Hunter Added Aug 6, 2017 - 5:42am
I do still listen to the radio, when I can find a classic rock station!
The Burghal Hidage Added Aug 6, 2017 - 6:59am
Stone -

Much the same happened to me. Couldn't find anything over the airwaves, had run through my personal library a gazillion times and, well I hate to admit it, but I got BORED :)

Around the time period that the internet took hold I began to discover the early streaming audio, starting with RealPlayer around 98/99. I swerved into 3WK, a web based radio out of LA and found a few interesting things there. Modest Mouse, Sleator Kinney and others and I thought to myself "well this is interesting, isn't it?" As this media progressed I downloaded the AOL Radio and started scanning the dial of their stations. On the PC in my office I ended up making to stations presets and had them going all the time. One was Relax Trax, featuring an eclectic mix of down tempo and The Ambient Channel. The latter attracted me because to me Ambient meant Brian Eno. Well surely enough they did feature a fair bit of Mr. Eno but it also opened up a whole new world that one would never hear over the airwaves.

And then I started browsing YouTube. Well what do you know? There is still a creative universe!
The Burghal Hidage Added Aug 6, 2017 - 7:04am
Jeff & Opher -

I do actually have some vague recollections of Sopwith Camel. There used to be a show on late at night in the early years of FM Album Cut radio in Columbus called Midnight and Other Beasts. Jeff if I recall correctly you are a Buckeye? You may remember this on the old WCOL FM. I think it was hosted by Terry White, a longtime fixture in the Columbus FM market. I remember hearing a wee bit of Camel on there.
The Burghal Hidage Added Aug 6, 2017 - 7:10am
WSU -  Animal Collective I know and the Dropkick Murphys.  I've always enjoyed the "pub music"

I do remember Angel. They were a brief spark, werent they? Saw them once at Vets Memorial or the Mershon in Columbus, cant remember which.
The Burghal Hidage Added Aug 6, 2017 - 7:13am
I liked that Electric Eel. Interesting Vid.... I had heard this before but didnt know who it was.
The Burghal Hidage Added Aug 6, 2017 - 7:15am
Stone -   Was denkst du an Burger-Ink? Horst du " Jealous Guy from Memphis" ?
The Burghal Hidage Added Aug 6, 2017 - 7:18am
WSU -  check this

The Burghal Hidage Added Aug 6, 2017 - 7:20am
Stone - Hier is Burger-Ink

The Burghal Hidage Added Aug 6, 2017 - 7:21am
Here is another good one, by Paul Duncan

Stone-Eater Friedli Added Aug 6, 2017 - 7:22am
Burger-ink ??

You see here we're more into  European stuff concerning Rock. Or Oz is coming strong too ! The US has that kind of "too much mainstream feeling" nowadays ;)

Stone-Eater Friedli Added Aug 6, 2017 - 7:23am
Btw: can't watch. I need a hyperlink when on phone.
The Burghal Hidage Added Aug 6, 2017 - 7:30am
Ok..... Dude! Burger-Ink is German

Let me see if I can make the hyperlink...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED-kdN4wcTQ
The Burghal Hidage Added Aug 6, 2017 - 7:32am
 hyperlink for NMH Untitled

The Burghal Hidage Added Aug 6, 2017 - 7:32am
The Burghal Hidage Added Aug 6, 2017 - 7:34am
hyperlink for Paul Duncan Letdownville

The Burghal Hidage Added Aug 6, 2017 - 7:37am
Here is one for a live performance of NMH Song Against Sex. Dont know how the bassist did not collapse from dizziness in this one!

The Burghal Hidage Added Aug 6, 2017 - 7:47am
Here is one for Mum's We have a Map of the Piano, original studio. You can find a number of live performances of this, all good, but I especially like the one for the Pitchfork Festival 2013 or 2014

Stone-Eater Friedli Added Aug 6, 2017 - 8:21am
Sorry TBH - but no. Too technical for me LOL
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Aug 6, 2017 - 8:25am
I prefer Everything everything, at Montreal, Soulwax or C2C.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Aug 6, 2017 - 8:28am
Or Rap ... only two: Cro (german) and Stromae (belgian).
The Burghal Hidage Added Aug 6, 2017 - 8:37am
Ok, well you looked. All one can ask :) Theres plenty out there we both like.  You are one of the very few people I've ever encountered who also likes Mission of Burma. I always thought they had a sharp edge
The Burghal Hidage Added Aug 6, 2017 - 8:41am
I've never been able to embrace rap, however I do have a few artists or songs of the genre I do genuinely like. Ton Loc, the Fat Boys, some of the Beastie Boys. Beastie Boys aren't strictly speaking a rap act though, are they? Kind of hard to categorize in my thinking, but I like their energy, their "vibe".  I have always liked the song Bust a Move too.
The Burghal Hidage Added Aug 6, 2017 - 8:42am
Are you familiar with the Sugar Cubes? This was the launch vehicle for Bjork
opher goodwin Added Aug 6, 2017 - 8:58am
This is all very frustrating at the minute. I can't play anything on my computer. I have no sound!!
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Aug 6, 2017 - 9:01am
Yep. Mission of Burma. Signals Calls and marches. Bought that around 1982 and still love it. And Sugarcubes. Now we get there :) Or the Farmer's Boys.
The Burghal Hidage Added Aug 6, 2017 - 9:08am
I feel for you Opher! Oh for the days of vinyl and turntables! Funny thing, that. We have all of these digital media for reading books, yet I still prefer the feel of the pages in my hands, the musty smell of an old, old book.  I used to love that smell you got when you first pulled that vinyl out of the sleeve, the static that made the hairs on your arms stand as you placed the disc on the spindle....
The Burghal Hidage Added Aug 6, 2017 - 9:16am
Stone - Wenn du diesen "grosste klingen" mochtest, versuche dies:

Es ist auch ein interessantes Video
The Burghal Hidage Added Aug 6, 2017 - 9:21am
Warnung: Gefahrlich fur Epilieptiker!
The Burghal Hidage Added Aug 6, 2017 - 10:45am
Opher -

Good luck on resolving your audio difficulties. I must focus some time now on other endeavors. Check back in with all later :)
opher goodwin Added Aug 6, 2017 - 11:15am
They are beyond my ability to resolve. I'm having to get help.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Aug 6, 2017 - 12:11pm
TBH

Cool. Sounds like a cross between Blur and Henry Rollins somewhat.

Jeff Jackson Added Aug 6, 2017 - 2:19pm
Yes Burghal I am a buckeye. I'm not familiar with Terry White fellow. In college, we had a friend that was a local DJ on one of the college radio stations. I lent him a copy of an album called "Elf" by the group "Elf." The lead vocalist was some unknown fellow named Ronnie James Dio. He did a few things later on in his career. Our DJ buddy used to play it on Friday nights when we were gathering to study together. Yeah, study together, that was it. Elf was sort of honkey-tonk, fast paced, raw rock and roll, with great guitar solos and a killer piano player, and, of course, the then unknown Ronnie James Dio.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Aug 6, 2017 - 2:33pm
Who still knows the bands Man, Birth Control, If, Captain Beyond, or Spring ? About as knows as Elf :)
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Aug 6, 2017 - 2:41pm
Another Tip: Raw Material and Byzantium: Try Baby I can hear you calling me. Can't copy a link on phone.
wsucram15 Added Aug 6, 2017 - 4:08pm
TBH..yes..Angel was a quick and bright spark for just a minute.  I really liked them though.  I think it was hair metal before the hair metal.  Once that came out though, there were VERY few bands in that genre I liked.  I dont know why.

I love all the stuff I sent you...some of it is odd, but I still like it, glad one or two caught your attention'

I agree with SEF though, I am moving away from US music, its too much pop or rap for me.  If either were good, I might enjoy it but its all blended and sounds the same.  Im waiting for the next rock explosion..its due.

The Burghal Hidage Added Aug 6, 2017 - 5:28pm
It is happening. In small clubs and circuits. Places like Austin, Louisville, Champagne-Urbana, Boise. Its like hunting truffles :)
The Burghal Hidage Added Aug 6, 2017 - 5:30pm
Moving a bit afield of rock, since there is such eclectic taste here, take a look at a collaboration between Brian Eno, Harold Budd and Daniel Lanois, a gem from 1984 titled The Pearl
Saint George Added Aug 6, 2017 - 9:41pm
Thanks, but I'll stick with classics like "Baker Street" by Gerry Rafferty.
wsucram15 Added Aug 10, 2017 - 9:50am
Saint George..I hated that song, I dont know why but I really did.

Recent Articles by Writers The Burghal Hidage follows.