The Manchurian Candidate

Just in case you imagined for half a moment that Trump wasn't really under Vladimir Putin's powerful sway, or perhaps that Trump is not really quite as incurious, uninformed and just plain stupid as he sounds when he attempts to do presidential...

This happens.  Well, after all, why would Putin lie to his buddy, Donnie-baby?  "He said that I'm a genius!"  "I pressed him three times about meddling in the election.  He denied it vehemently every time.  You already know my position."

Putin and I discussed forming an impenetrable Cyber Security unit so that election hacking & many other negative things will be guarded. [sic]

Just wow.  Much stranger than fiction.

Damn straight!  2016 is going to be the last time ever that Crooked Hillary and Obama collude with the California Registrar of Voters to allow three million undocumented brown people to corrupt what should have been a fair and honest count of the votes.  Go Putin!  BFF!  #MAGA!

It's probably not his fault.  He may actually have been hypnotized when he thought he was just having a good time with the pretty blond hookers in Moscow.  Post-hypnotic suggestion.  Brainwashing.  Apparently it is still practiced.  And apparently, it still works.

Comments

Dino Manalis Added Aug 7, 2017 - 9:37am
Trump is a businessman, not a politician, the Clintons have had better relations with the Russians over the years and colluded with them.  The Russians are our friends, we have nothing to fear from them, anyway, they're Orthodox Christians, it doesn't get any better than that!
Mike Haluska Added Aug 7, 2017 - 9:53am
Just about any sentence with a 3 syllable word in it impresses Liberals/Progressives.  Here's a simple sentence to think about:

YOU LOST, GET OVER IT
Flying Junior Added Aug 7, 2017 - 4:19pm
Nice to meet you Gentlemen,

Excuse my post being a little bit stale.  I wrote it four weeks ago.  Still I had to accept Autumn's kind offer to branch out into Writer Beat.  I hope to publish a more meaningful and perhaps important article soon.

I am interested in moderate republicans who support Trump and their motivations.  It is easy to understand his appeal to white supremacists and the consumers of alt-right news.  But what can motivate an otherwise sane and moral individual to like a slimy beast like Trump?  I guess I'm just a prude.
Bill H. Added Aug 7, 2017 - 5:16pm

F.J.-
Welcome to WB-
Quite simply even moderate Republicans have been manipulated by the wonders of modern technology. Their Google searches, news sources, and FB pages have been "customized to their satisfaction" by algorithms so much that they have been pushed much further to the Right than they think they really are. You will see many examples of this right here on WB.
The corporate puppeteers successfully got just the person they wanted elected and both him and his subservient voter base will bend over anytime they are commanded to do so.
Infidel753 Added Aug 7, 2017 - 5:59pm
Humans tend to be tribal creatures and thus to ignore or de-emphasize the flaws of those they consider champions of their own side.  Trump's case requires an extreme degree of this, but Fox, Drudge, Limbaugh and their ilk have had the right-wing base living in a feverish alternate-reality bubble for some time now (Bill H.'s comment is right on target), so they've been prepared for it.  The normalization of vulgarity and hate rhetoric by talk radio may also have helped pave the way to normalizing Trump.

The more startling issue is the minimization, dismissal, and outright denial of Russian interference in the election.  That's something I would never have expected to see Republicans doing.  What would Reagan think if he were here to see it?

YOU LOST, GET OVER IT

Ah, yes, that's my own standard response to Confederate sympathizers and apologists.  I never mistake it for a rebuttal, however.  If you think that losing an election (even due to a freakish combination of vote suppression, foreign interference, and the un-democratic effect of the Electoral College) means that the losing side should entirely cease to question or oppose the winners, I trust you'll act accordingly the next time your side loses one.
Lady Sekhmetnakt Added Aug 7, 2017 - 7:03pm
The entire premise of this Russiagate nonsense is based on Russian Hacking conspiracy theories. Debunked here...
“There Are No Russian Hackers” @andsat https://medium.com/@andrewsaturn/hackers-everywhere-139d36f01169

Flying Junior Added Aug 8, 2017 - 1:52am
Actually, that's a very good explanation.  It seems quite foreign to me as I do not watch television.  But it certainly presents a searchable hypothesis.

Here in Reagan Country, the name of Trump is simply not mentioned in polite company.  So the thoughts of my conservative friends remain something of a mystery.  However, I do recall one lady of eighty saying this, "I'm a republican, but I don't like Trump at all."

Nice to see a familiar face, Infidel.
Bill H. Added Aug 8, 2017 - 11:46am

Since the election, many who voted for Trump who I know personally have either admitted that they are now disappointed in him, or they no longer rant about how "He is going to save America".
He was able to fire-up a base that fell for his authoritarian demeanor and hyped-up rhetoric, helped along with an ample amount of blond bimbos donning red bubbah hats and plenty of country music. Oddly, he himself is so detached from this group, having been born into money, living life in a penthouse, sitting in boardrooms, and not serving in the Military. I found it ironic that he worked to convince them that he was on their side, and that his base actually believed it.
It is becoming more and more evident that (as I stated prior to his election), his only priority is to change the system to work for the financial good of his empire and to satisfy his never-ending ego requirements. His never-ending "rallies" serve nothing more than to bolster his ego and hide the shame of his antics under the cheers.
Bill H. Added Aug 8, 2017 - 1:14pm
How can any politician from either of today's parties be for the people when they are bought, paid for, and blindly subservient to the whims and wills of the corporations who control them? Virtually every aspect of our lives these days revolves around corporate profits and the status of the month-end stockholder report. Our lives now depend on Excel spreadsheet numbers and flashy graphs displayed during the never-ending boardroom meetings and PowerPoint presentations. The people simply exist as lab rats in an ongoing experiment designed to see how much money can be sucked out of our pocketbooks to enrich CEO profits while taking it up the ass and being told constantly what to think.
Flying Junior Added Aug 8, 2017 - 1:24pm
Bill H.
Thank you for the warm welcome and thoughtful comments.
wsucram15 Added Aug 8, 2017 - 2:18pm
Flying Junior..Welcome to the Jungle.
Trump supporters really do want to believe him, the ones that have not deflected.  I differ from some of my BF family in WV, but went to a  town hall with them and we agreed on a few things.
I have seen a few town halls actually with friends in other states or via cell phone by friends in other states.
We have problems I dont think we will easily solve without tremendous push back from the people and to be honest I am not sure about that.  It would take quite a bit from the majority that do not support Trump to not be afraid.

I agree with BillH as I always do  and Dannl , who are both thoughtful and have good insights.
wsucram15 Added Aug 8, 2017 - 3:16pm
Dannl..I had to laugh at that one, Also remember there is a red X if things go too far.  People are just people.

Phil Greenough Added Aug 9, 2017 - 3:35pm
As it relates to Trump, what does it mean to be under Putin’s power sway?

As it relates to election hacking, I have some advice for Democrats, don’t use the word “password” as your password.
Flying Junior Added Aug 25, 2017 - 1:09am
Hi Phil,

I guess what I meant by, "under Putin's powerful sway," might be better explained by my comment upon which this blog post was based.  In my original idea, I noted that after hypnosis, all that Putin had to do was say a trigger word, such as "caviar" or "mink" and Trump would immediately go into a post-hypnotic trance in which he would be vulnerable to suggestions.  More or less, be nothing more than a weak, little kitten in the hands of the KGB Russian dictator.