Why God and We Evangelicals Backed Trump

I get a lot of push back (here and on my blog) against my claim that God chose Trump to be our president.  Most declare  "no way" and then inform me why I am wrong.  Never am I asked why did you Evangelicals put Trump in and why are  you are so excited  that God backed a man like Trump?

The answer was because we believed we were facing disaster.

First, it seems obvious that God loves this country. The founders told us they had Divine guidance in laying our foundations. Long have most of this country felt that we have received His favor and His protection.

But look where we were before Trump.

We had a leader who said he tingled at the call to worship of one of God’s rivals. We had a leader from the anti-colonial world, read, anti-white, anti-Christian. The moral codes we had been taught would keep us in God's favor were being turned upside down.

We serious Christians know that although God is total love, He is also total justice. We felt we were being moved out from under His love and placed under His justice. From our study of his Word we know that God’s justice is manifested in two ways. He either removes nations from under His protection, leaving them naked before angry gods, or He administers divine justice directly Himself.

Neither is a pretty picture.

So God put in a man who has incredible common sense, which makes him capable of doing the right thing. God also chose a man who could not be bought--was not an ideologue--would never be accused of forming a theocracy. We feel that man is pulling us back from the brink. But, we also believe we have only few years to get it right.

Comments

Autumn Cote Added Aug 9, 2017 - 10:36am
Please note, the second best way to draw more attention to your work is to comment on the work of others. I know this to be true because if you do, I'll do everything in my power to draw more attention to your articles.

PS - There is a lot I can do and would like to do on your behalf.
Infidel753 Added Aug 9, 2017 - 10:59am

Who are these "angry gods"?  If you are an Evangelical, do you believe other gods exist besides your own?
Dannl Yoder Added Aug 9, 2017 - 11:17am
Don, Optimistic this is, and a good read. Time will tell about Trump.
There is no 'revival' in the scriptures that I can find.
The beast has already risen and profaned the temple ( Obama is that beast)
The falling away of the church is in 3D now and the son of Perdition, spoken of by Paul needs only proclaim it.
The present day "church" is about 23,000 different Protestant arms of lunacy ( Israelis are God's chosen?)
Trump can only be a great deceiver. That's Bible.;)
Don Added Aug 9, 2017 - 12:10pm
Infidel753 I know other gods exist.  Any Evangelical who doesn't know this does not know the Bible or early church history.  A good book on this is God’s Rivals by Gerald McDermott.  On Amazon paperback or Kindles under $10
Don Added Aug 9, 2017 - 12:20pm
Dannl, you may already know this, but a number of the high batting average prophets are not believing the next move is a revival.  Revivals come and then wane.  They are expecting an Awakening which hits a whole nation and lasts for many years.
Dannl Yoder Added Aug 9, 2017 - 1:07pm
Nice answer. Don, I am awaiting that awakening also.
Is it in process?
You know even the beloved John, facing a beheading sent word to the Saviour, " Are you the one we seek? Or do we wait for another? " Matthew 11:3(?)
And the honest man who won the Savior's heart ( and mine)
I believe! Heal Thou my unbelief!' Matthew 9:24
The "awakening" is  to be greatly celebrated!
Jeffrey Kelly Added Aug 9, 2017 - 1:58pm
I actually have a litmus test for well-meaning Evangelicals who show up at my door.

I ask them, "Did you vote for Trump?"

When they say yes I simply say, "Hypocrite."  Then I shut the door.

Same thing applies when they approach me in a parking lot or in a restaurant.  I find that rude, anyway.
Dannl Yoder Added Aug 9, 2017 - 2:09pm
Jeffrey! My old nemesis!
How did you escape?:))
Jeffrey Kelly Added Aug 9, 2017 - 2:24pm
Hullo, Dannl.
I'm still here, just been busy.
Dannl Yoder Added Aug 9, 2017 - 2:34pm
Jeff, you rascal! Great to see you.
Don Added Aug 9, 2017 - 4:12pm
Jeff, If that is your real picture, this hypocrite is staying away from you in the parking lot.
Bill H. Added Aug 9, 2017 - 4:14pm

Just can't see God backing a pussy-grabbing, habitual lying, self-serving wanna-be Dictator.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Aug 9, 2017 - 4:37pm
Works for me, Don.

BTW, how does God feel about adultery?  Any thoughts?
Jeffrey Kelly Added Aug 9, 2017 - 4:38pm
Don, did you feel self-righteously upset when Clinton got his pipes cleaned in the Oval Office?
Don Added Aug 9, 2017 - 6:25pm
Jeff  You can see by his main actions that Jesus was far more interested in delivering people from evil spirits and healing the sick.  As to the pipe cleaning, I was only bothered by having my very young granddaughter leave the room.  At which time she began to cry because she thought maybe the world was blowing up.  The rest was Hillary's business and not any of mine.
Jeff Michka Added Aug 9, 2017 - 6:31pm
Don sez: Never am I asked why did you Evangelicals put Trump in and why are  you are so excited  that God backed a man like Trump?-You basically worthless evangelicals voted Trump because all you care about is "winning," figuring "your new man" will end abortion, give churches un-brideled power as a State and many other little "matters of faith."  You are all hypocrites, no questions need be asked to determine that.  Belief in gawd is a sham.
John G Added Aug 9, 2017 - 6:31pm
So much hate.

Jeff Michka Added Aug 9, 2017 - 6:33pm
Don sez: At which time she began to cry because she thought maybe the world was blowing up.  The rest was Hillary's business and not any of mine. What? No"buck up, kiddo. It's gawds will..."  That should have dried her eyes and put a smile on her face.  Did it?
Dannl Yoder Added Aug 9, 2017 - 6:38pm
Haha, see Don, why the saviour spoke in parables?:)
Autumn Cote Added Aug 9, 2017 - 6:45pm
I'm sorry but it's against the rules to post more than one article within a 48-hour period.  So I had to delete your most recent submission, if you don't have a copy, I'll email it to you.  Many thanks for your participation with Writer Beat!
opher goodwin Added Aug 9, 2017 - 6:51pm
Heavens - we get the picture. Extremely worrying that in this day and age ideas like this still exist.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Aug 9, 2017 - 6:59pm
@Don:
"Jeff You can see by his main actions that Jesus was far more interested in delivering people from evil spirits and healing the sick."

That works for me, Don.
So, you are OK with adultery, then?  Most Evangelicals are against that sort of thing...well, until they voted for Trump.

"As to the pipe cleaning, I was only bothered by having my very young granddaughter leave the room. At which time she began to cry because she thought maybe the world was blowing up. The rest was Hillary's business and not any of mine."

Odd, most Evangelicals make it their business.  Well, Trump might blow the world up....then I guess we'll all quickly figure out what exists in the hereafter.
Patrick Writes Added Aug 9, 2017 - 8:46pm
I see what the author is trying to say. Not sure if I fully agree yet (have to think about it more).

But in reference to the author and some commenters questions about other gods, I thought I'd chime in.

Many Christians, myself include, believe in the ancient Middle Eastern world, there was a pantheon of gods in most cultures. If you start with the "first civilization" of Sumeria in modern day Iraq. And go from there, you had one civilization conquering another, and assuming most of their gods, often renaming them, but keeping them intact.

Think of the later Romans who renamed the Greek gods to Jupiter, Venus, Mercury, etc... (from Zeus, Aphrodite, Hermes). This was the GENERAL pattern you saw.

And many of those gods were powerful beings that Christians or Jews would call demons or fallen angels. Beings that have some power but have serious limitations compared to the monotheistic God of the universe.

You even see this in the Bible with the strange account of Balaam's donkey. Balaam appears to have been a powerful prophet of many of these gods / demons and was hired to curse Israel. But God wouldn't allow it and instead influenced him to bless Israel.

Some of the Psalms reference other gods as well. They are talking about demons.
Don Added Aug 9, 2017 - 9:01pm
Yes, Patrick. Michael Heiser in his two books on the supernatural explains why the only way to understand the Bible is to have the world view of the people at the time it was written.
Don Added Aug 9, 2017 - 9:05pm
Autumn, sorry, I did not know the 48 hour rule.  I usually do have a backup copy, but this one time I didn't because it was breaking news today and I just let it fly.  I would be grateful if you could e-mail it to me.
Dino Manalis Added Aug 10, 2017 - 12:13pm
Trump was perceived to be pro-growth and pro-values, appealing to mainstream America, Hillary could have won, but she preferred to copy  Bernie Sanders instead of her husband,  a  New Democrat president.
Dannl Yoder Added Aug 10, 2017 - 12:27pm

Agreed, but Heiser, himself contradicts beliefs of previous ages, saying that Elohim is used 1000 times in the old testament, but is not a synonym for God.
Now he may be pointing out something...for instance "Yahweh is a Elohim, but not every Elohim is a Yahweh."
Elohims ( rulers or "gods" are in a non physical world, if I may paraphrase, and have a council..meaning hierarchy, nomenclature and laws. One of which, is a lying spirit.2 chronicles 18:21 ( also 1 kings 22)
So, while the scholars debate the minutia of time period, the rest of us are left with dazzling dances that suggest that without a PhD, the Bible cannot be understood.
The Jewish caballa also teaches that the Bible is coded.
Does all this matter? Does any of it matter?
It does if we want to walk on water rather than sink.:)

Bill H. Added Aug 10, 2017 - 12:37pm
Dino-
Perception and reality are two different commodities. Trump used this skill to get himself elected by creating a perception for his voter base, who voted based on what was a reality to them. This is a skill that he most likely learned from his father, due to the vicious and competitive nature of his father's business.
He continues this "modification of the truth" and "alternative facts" practice to this day, apparently being unaware that he can't fool the American people for much longer.
His only goal is increasing his net worth and his ego, that is all.
Dannl Yoder Added Aug 10, 2017 - 12:48pm
Bill H, I don't always disagree with you... But when I do, I like  couple of dos equis beers.
Trump pulled something we may not be grasping.
Hillary already had the elections... Who doubted it?
I am not for either one, Hillary of Trump but something very mystifying happened that put Trump in office! Super natural? Plainly! But what... Who?
I am looking into this for perhaps my next post.

Stay thirsty my friends! :)
mark henry smith Added Aug 10, 2017 - 2:42pm
Don, how can anyone say God put Trump in The White House, but not Obama? Now you could say that God put Obama in The White House to make way for Trump, but it would be silly to think that God only picks winners for you.

The most dangerous part about people reading scripture is that they come to conclusions that have nothing to do with reality. Wait, there is so little reality in the scriptures that that would be logical.
mark henry smith Added Aug 10, 2017 - 2:44pm
But let me add that I respect people of faith who do good works and believe in the love of Jesus Christ and attempt to mimic it in their own lives. I imagine it would be a better world if all could find it in their hearts to share more love and less of all the other crap.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Aug 10, 2017 - 3:05pm
Nicely said, Mark.  Both comments.
Dannl Yoder Added Aug 10, 2017 - 3:11pm
Wait, there is so little reality in the scriptures that that would be logical.
Mark, that statement is two things:
1 first. And foremost.  It is blatently Untrue and an unfair slam.
2. If you had read any portion of the Bible you would see the wisdom of the ancients.
We have a saying:
I can read the Bible to you, but I cannot understand it to you.

Did God put Obama in the White House?
He foretold it!
Big difference.
Did he put Trump in the whitehouse?
That too is foretold.
It has nothing to do with the wisdom of logic found in the Bible.
People ( right here..intelligent) read the US Constitution and fsik to see that it gives no one rights but the Bankers  it gives privilege. Not the same as rights. Is anyone berating and condemning we scholars who study the Constitution? ( rhetorical question)
But let one of us say, " The Bible this...the Bibke that... And see the sludge rise up from the bottom.:)
Dannl Yoder Added Aug 10, 2017 - 3:13pm
Nicely said, Mark.  Both comments. Jeffrey.
Why am I not surprised to see you Jeffrey,?
I just sharpened my knife, hold your hand out. Is it sharp enough?:))
Jeffrey Kelly Added Aug 10, 2017 - 3:28pm
Now, Dannl, don't go all Nazi on me.  You are not Mengele.

LOL
Dannl Yoder Added Aug 10, 2017 - 3:34pm
You don't really believe in that Mengele ratatouille, do you?  Still?:))
Jeffrey Kelly Added Aug 10, 2017 - 3:37pm
Is it news to you that SS and other German doctors experimented on human subjects?
Dannl Yoder Added Aug 10, 2017 - 3:44pm
Jeffrey, is it news to you that Doctors have done this since the beginning?
Look up Benjamin FRANKLyn's address in England he kept after the phoneh War for independence and ask yourself what Dr.Ben was doing with 900 skeletons under his floor.
What do you think abortion, cosmetics and stem cell research have in common?
Did Dr. Mengele experiment to give Jews blue eyes? Bwahahaha... Not if the Jews were considered rsts.
Did Mengele experiment and breed Jews to get a better Aryan? Bwahahaha.. Nicht MIT dem ratz Herr Dockter!
:))
Jeffrey Kelly Added Aug 10, 2017 - 3:54pm
I'm well aware of other non-German Doctor's failures in this regard, Dannl.  It's a travesty that only German and SS Doctor's were punished...but that doesn't excuse them.
Dannl Yoder Added Aug 10, 2017 - 4:16pm

Jeffrey, but it sure was enough to condemn them
And having a name like FRANKLyn excused his "experiments"
Were his "patients" alive when he proceeded?
300 of the remains were female, which many of them had fetal skeletons.
Let me play Sherlock, a moment here. ( indulge me Jeffrey)
Watson: I say Holmes! Twas nasty business at #7 Craven street last night- always seems to be there or at #36 Craven. What do you make of it Holmes?
Holmes: My dear Watson! The homes of Doctor Benjamin Franklyn, # 7 and #36 Craven, are near the wharfs, wot?
The people who disappear at the wharfs are sometimes dropped at these addresses and and regain consciousness before the poor devils are dragged inside, never to be seen again- or missed.
Watson: but why is it not investigated properly?
Holmes: Because the Doctor has married into the Folger family. And he has fled to the colonies to avoid that embarrassing moment og discovery should it arrive.

John Minehan Added Aug 10, 2017 - 5:47pm
A good friend of mine, a very devout Evangelical Christian, analogizes Trump to Cyrus of Persia, who was not a Jew, but who delivered the Jewish People from captivity in Babylon.

I hope he is right, although I'm far from a Trump supporter.

I am not as knowledgeable of scripture as my friend nor am I as  decent a man.  But, as someone who has some knowledge of history, I can say: I am familiar with Cyrus of Persia and Donald Trump appears to be no Cyrus of Persia.

But few people are.

Cyrus gave the Jewish People the template for the Mashiach, the great Earthly King who will end history and usher in an age of justice and goodness.

Cyrus's nick name, which passed to all the Persian monarchs down to Mohammud Reza Palavi, Shahanshah, also was applied to the Mashiach, in English "King-of-Kings."

That's a LOT to live up to . . .  .
John Minehan Added Aug 10, 2017 - 5:51pm
Of course the Scots Gaelic "Dòmhnall" (from which the English name "Donald" derives) means "World Ruler" in English, so what do I know?
Dissecting Leftism Added Aug 10, 2017 - 6:02pm
Trump is our Messiah
Bill H. Added Aug 10, 2017 - 7:41pm

Next you guys will be telling us that Trump is actually Jesus Christ fulfilling his promise to return to Earth.
Don Added Aug 10, 2017 - 8:05pm
John Minehan Following is what you are referring to about Cyrus:
Lance Wallnau, October 27, 2015,wrote; “I sent this prophetic prayer to Donald J. Trump via his partner and attorney Michael Cohen. I realized that the next President of the United States will be the 45th President. I sensed the Lord tell me to look at the 45th Chapter of Isaiah to see who the 45th President of the United States should be. Isaiah 45:1 says..."This is what the LORD says TO HIS ANOINTED, CYRUS, whose right hand I have grasped to subdue nations before him, as I strip kings of their armor, to open doors before him and gates that cannot keep closed."
“Cyrus his anointed? But Cyrus was not even a Jew. He was a foreigner. An outsider. But God raises up secular Kings and Rulers for the sake of His people. The gates of heaven open over certain nations - hence Cyrus will see "gates that cannot keep closed." The gates of Hell have plundered a lot of ground in America this past seven years. It's time that the gates of Hell were plundered and things were restored in certain places. Heaven's gates will open and Hell's gates will not be able to stay locked.” See God's Chaos Candidate : Donald J. Trump and the American Unraveling. Lance has become one of Trump’s favorite prophets. Many prophets are following Wallnau and are using Isaiah 45 as a guide to understand what is happening now and what is next
Phil Greenough Added Aug 11, 2017 - 10:15am
It doesn’t surprise me one bit that Evangelicals choose Trump over Clinton.  However, the fact evangelicals backed Trump over Cruz is one of the most perplexing things about the 2016 election.  Trump is clearly not a religious person and one would think the most religious candidate is the most preferred candidate.

So how does an Evangelical explain the election of Obama if God is credited with the election of Trump?
Bill H. Added Aug 11, 2017 - 11:55am
Maybe they actually thought that Mike Pence could actually enable his agenda thru Trump.
Ray Joseph Cormier Added Aug 12, 2017 - 7:48am
While everyone has Freedom of Thought and Belief, I have a different perspective on the Revelation in the unfolding details.

On September 13, 1976, the major daily THE KANSAS CITY TIMES published this Vision of the FUTURE: target="_blank">“He came to town for the Republican National Convention and will stay until the election in November TO DO GOD'S BIDDING: To tell the world, from Kansas City, this country has been found wanting and its days are numbered […] He gestured toward a gleaming church dome. “The gold dome is the symbol of Babylon,” he said.” […] He wanted to bring to the Public’s attention an “idea being put out subtly and deceptively” by the government that we have to get prepared for a war with Russia.”

It's taken over 40 years, but that 1976 FUTURE is NOW with the Revelation of the details GENERALLY unfolding in the spirit of the letter. The World is finally waking up to see Trump just may hasten “its days are numbered” part of the 1976 Newspaper record.
The KANSAS CITY TIMES did a follow up report on ALL SOULS DAY, November 2, 1976. When the TV movie 'THE DAY AFTER' Kansas City was incinerated in a Nuclear Holocaust appeared in 1983, most likely, I was the only Human on Earth, including the newspaper reporters, to note target="_blank">at the END, the movie pauses at the very same picture frame THE KANSAS CITY TIMES chose for the target="_blank">ALL SOULS DAY record 7 years earlier.

Any way you look at it, that HISTORICAL FACT is a confirming SIGN for our Generations, the World has arrived at this point of Decision, of an “idea being put out subtly and deceptively” by the government that we have to get prepared for a war with Russia.”

Not too many will recognize, "this country has been found wanting and its days are numbered" as the 1st two parts, of the 3 part 'Writing on the Wall" from Daniel 5 and the Captivity of Babylon some 2600 years ago.

The whole world saw The Writing on the Wall for the 1st TIME at the same TIME, with the Global Financial Meltdown-Economic Pearl Harbour in September of 2008, even if the world did not recognize it as such.

The 3rd part of the Writing on the Wall tells of the decline of Babylon, the 1st Biblical model of the Nation that reaches Imperial Military-Economic Superpower Status, and the rise of Persia

Ancient Babylon is now Iraq, and ancient Persia is now Iran.

The US is the latest, greatest of all the Nations reaching Imperial Military-Economic Superpower Status in the 2600 year old Biblical Babylonian superstructure.

The TAIL struck the HEAD, causing the unravelling of the Historical Earthly Babylonian superstructure-infrastructure, ushering in the Law of the Jungle to the Middle East and this World.

The Iranian Revolution happened in 1979, 2-1/2 years after the record in the 1976 KANSAS CITY TIMES Timeline.

All the chaos in the Middle East since then, including the carnage in Syria, is the consequence of the vain attempt to reverse that God ordained repeat of History as a SIGN for OUR TIMES.

The Trump government has announced to the world, the next target for regime change by the US is Iran. Trump is following the same US WAR PLANS brought out weeks after 9/11, to change regimes in Iraq, Libya, Syria and finally Iran, and target="_blank">revealed to the World by former NATO Supreme Commander US General Wesley Clark in 2007.

Republican Bush, Democrat Obama, and now Trump leading to the END game of those 2001 US War Plans. Could this be circumstantial evidence there really is a DEEP STATE pulling the strings behind the Republican-Democratic-Trumpian facade?
Keith Added Aug 12, 2017 - 8:03am
Your speaking on behalf of God, claiming He backed Trump, is incredibly un-Christian.  The God of the Bible loves all people, and not particularly Americans as you absurdly suggest.  If you think God really "backed Trump" your faith is completely lost.

As for why supposed Christians supported Trump, the answer is simple.  They are an incredible pack of hypocrites who use their Christianity not to find God's Truth but to support the lies of men.  For them Christianity is a hammer to beat others over the head with in a "I'm more Godly than thou" approach.

The entire "God is uniquely on my side of politics" arguments is repulsive and dangerous.  It's the kind of thinking that drives Islamic extremism and terrorism.

After all, if God backs Trump the implication is that Satan backs his opponents.  The political battle is, in this model, not between competing ideologies and policies, but between good and evil itself.  Those on the other side are evil, and it's okay to hate them for that reason.

This nation needs to move away from thinking like this.  It is sickening, and it is dangerous.

Ray Joseph Cormier Added Aug 12, 2017 - 8:21am
This site is good, but it would be better if there was a link to reply to specific comments.

On the subject of other "gods", it is written:
Belshazzar the king made a great feast to a thousand of his lords, and drank wine before the thousand.
Belshazzar, while he tasted the wine, commanded to bring the golden and silver vessels which his father Nebuchadnezzar had taken out of the temple which was in Jerusalem; that the king, and his princes, his wives, and his concubines, might drink therein.

Then they brought the golden vessels that were taken out of the temple of the house of God which was at Jerusalem; and the king, and his princes, his wives, and his concubines, drank in them.

They drank wine, and praised the gods of gold, and of silver, of brass, of iron, of wood, and of stone.
Daniel 5

The king had a party for the 1% of his Days, and praised "the gods of gold, and of silver, of brass, of iron, of wood, and of stone."
That was "THE ECONOMY" 2600 years ago and comes from the record of 'THE WRITING ON THE WALL'

The WHOLE WORLD saw THE WRITING ON THE WALL for the 1st TIME at the same TIME with the Global Financial Meltdown-Economic Pearl Harbour of 2008, even if the World hasn't recognized it as such.

Ray Joseph Cormier Added Aug 12, 2017 - 8:25am
Bob Dylan: With God On Our Side

Keith Added Aug 12, 2017 - 9:33am
Ray, some other song lyrics that might be applicable.

"Go ahead and hate your neighbor,
Go ahead and cheat a friend.
Do it in the name of heaven,
You can justify it in the end.…"
One Tin Soldier.

"Hate your next door neighbor, but don't forget to say grace."
Eve of Destruction.

Perhaps the most powerful, is not a song, but a poem by a fellow named Mark Twain, entitled "The War Prayer."

A true Christian should listen with care, deep reflection, and prayer thought to Mr. Twain's words, all the way through.
Ray Joseph Cormier Added Aug 13, 2017 - 6:28am
Thanks Kieth for the links. The 1965 release of Eve of Destruction is embedded in my Blog article target="_blank">'THE ARMAGEDDON GENERATION.'
I also watched The War Prayer.

But to the house of Judah will I grant clemency, and I will save them by the Lord their God, but I will not save them with the bow, with the sword, with war, with steeds, or with riders.
Hosea 1:7
And he answered and spoke to me, saying, "This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel, saying: 'Not by military force and not by physical strength, but by My spirit,' says the Lord of Hosts.
Zechariah 4:6
And he shall judge between the nations and reprove many peoples, and they shall beat their swords into plow shares and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift the sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore.
Isaiah 2:4 & Micah 4:3
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Matthew 5:9
You hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying, This people draws close to me with their mouth, and honours me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
Isaiah 28:13; Matthew 15:7-9; Mark 7:6-7
john guzlowski Added Aug 13, 2017 - 6:48am
I went to a politicans forum here organized by the young democrats and young republicans and listened to 16 politicians, dems and repubs, men and women, for offices ranging from city councilmen to US representatives, and all of these people except one began and ended their debates/speeches with a statement about how God had told them to pursue this office for the greater good of mankind.

Two of these guys, in fact, were ministers. One was a democrat-episcopalian, and the other a republican-baptist.

What they probably all are is bad readers. I can't see how you can read the New Testament and walk away thinking that Jesus wants you to go into politics, or for that matter, thinking that Jesus wants you to join a church.

I read a book called What Jesus Meant by Garry Wills--and his take on all of this (and he's a catholic) is that there is almost nothing in the NT (at least in the 4 gospels) that would have you honestly joining a church. And I've read bible scholars who have pretty much said the said thing (Elaine Pagels/Karen Armstrong). If Jesus wants you to do anything, he wants you to be good and help people. See the Sermon on the Mount. You don't need a church for that. If anything, a church gets in the way, and also sets up a structure that is more about structure and power and politics and maintaining power than it is about anything that has to do with the soul.

I was brought up a catholic and I look back on the things I was taught and it's amazing how little of it came from the teachings of Jesus. If jesus is point A, and the catholic church or any church is point Z, I don't think you can explain by either reason or faith how the one led to the other.

Jesus says in the sermon on the mount, as plain as plain can be: if they strike you in the face, turn the other cheek.

I don't think any of these preachers or politicians is advocating that. In fact, I think what all of them are advocating is a rejection of Jesus's teachings and an acceptance of a sort of vision of the marriage of politics and religion that you get in the old testament. America as a sort of Israel, a warrior state with a god who's angry at other nations.

One of the preacher/politicans at this political forum said something very interesting. He said that where there is faith there is no need for fear. I thought: that's wisdom. I don't think Jesus ever teaches fear. And those politicians and preachers (what bruce springsteen in one song calls "those soul sucking preachers") who get you worked up with fear to be afraid of other people and other countries are probably doing the devil's work.

End of sermon.
Don Added Aug 13, 2017 - 2:56pm
This is addressed to all those on WriterBeat who keep telling me that Jesus wants us to love one another. The story goes like this: Jesus left a place too beautiful to describe. He came to a planet which is under the control of alien beings who have a violent hatred for Him. He let Himself be bludgeoned and whipped until hugh chunks of His flesh flew off. He then allowed a crown of sharp thorns be thrust on on His head, while people mocked Him, spit on Him and struck Him. Then they made Him carry a heavy cross up a hill. There they drove nails into Him, gave Him vinegar for His thirst, and drove a spear into Him. He did all this so He could tell you guys to be nice to each other? I don’t think so! All He really had to do for that is send your links to the syrupy songs about loving one another you guys post. He would have saved Himself a lot of grief.
Don Added Aug 13, 2017 - 3:10pm
Phil, you wrote: “However, the fact evangelicals backed Trump over Cruz is one of the most perplexing things about the 2016 election. Trump is clearly not a religious person and one would think the most religious candidate is the most preferred candidate.” Phil, God started telling the prophets in 2011 that Trump would run and he would win. When Trump did not run in 2012, God then told them it was because His church was not yet ready. He told them that He had to let His church endure persecution a little while longer, then they would be serious and ready.
As to why Trump and not Cruz or Huckabee or any of the other well known Christian candidates, He said He needed someone who could take the violence that would be directed at him and not flinch. Trump has proven to be that man. He is pure Teflon. God also said He did not want a person that would be accused of wanting a theocracy. Would you ever accuse Trump of wanting a theocracy? I don’t think so.
All of these prophecies are documented and posted on You Tube over the years for those who have eyes to see and ears to hear.
Keith Added Aug 13, 2017 - 4:21pm
Quote:  "He did all this so He could tell you guys to be nice to each other?"

So what's your theory?  That the Lord sacrificed his only son as some sort of message of hate.  It's clear you don't have the most basic understanding of Christianity.

Jesus suffered and died to take upon himself the sins of man.  Sins that include hating your fellow man.  It is undeniable He flat out said be nice to each other.  “Do to others what you want them to do to you."  It's right there.  Did you miss it or just consciously decide to blow it off.

Your hate dishonors the sacrifice Christ made for you.

John Minehan Added Aug 13, 2017 - 4:48pm
"A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another." John 13:34-35.

"13Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. 14Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. 15Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you. 16Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you. 17These things I command you, that ye love one another.  John 15: 13-16.

Goes beyond "He did all this so He could tell you guys to be nice to each other?"
Don Added Aug 13, 2017 - 7:36pm
Responding about Jesus and love. As a kid I visited a doughnut shop. On the wall was this sign: “As you travel through life brother, let this be your goal. Keep your eye on the doughnut and not on the hole.” I adopted that as a mantra. Later, it became “the main thing is to make the main thing the main thing.” I could only wish readers could judge me by my own values.
No, unless you finally realize that the Bible is all about war in the heavenlies among supernatural beings, you are going to trivialize it. (But for the record, the Bible quotes you commenters used: One was directed at His fellow Jews. The other was to His disciples. Thank you for not quoting the one quote that all nominal Christians do” “Love your neighbor as yourself.” In that very confusing quote, I have never found anyone who can tell me who the neighbor is.)
Keith Added Aug 13, 2017 - 7:53pm
All humanity is your neighbor in God's eyes, so there is the answer.

That you view the Bible as a message of war says it all.  Do tell us which of God's children you are at war against.
Jeff Michka Added Aug 13, 2017 - 9:20pm
Don sez: The KANSAS CITY TIMES did a follow up report on ALL SOULS DAY, November 2, 1976. When the TV movie 'THE DAY AFTER' Kansas City was incinerated in a Nuclear Holocaust appeared in 1983, most likely, I was the only Human on Earth,-Naw, Pendergast has been dead for years.  Now that solves the problem of all those folks that have nowhere to buy groceries or staples in KC! Get them incinerated in a nuclear war in the name of Gawd.  Will create more open space than the Paseo.  City can sell it for pennies on the dollar...and look, no more black people, everyone will become slightly to mostly blackened.  Gawd heals the race rift, too.
Ray Joseph Cormier Added Aug 13, 2017 - 9:31pm
Don, do you know the greeting of the Angels on the Birth of Christ? And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.
And the angel said to them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great JOY, which shall be to ALL PEOPLE.
For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
And this shall be a sign unto you; You shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,
Glory to God in the highest, and on earth Peace, Good Will toward men.
Luke 2:9-14

Here it is 2000 years later, and on Earth, Joy is fleeting, there is too much War and little Good Will toward men.

To emphasize what is posted upstream,
But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
Isaiah 28:13; Matthew 15:7-9; Mark 7:6-7

john guzlowski Added Aug 14, 2017 - 8:46am
Don, you really think you know what God intends?

Does he whisper to you in the morning?

Do you see it written in the newspaper?

The Greeks called it hubris.

The Christians call it vanity.
Ray Joseph Cormier Added Aug 14, 2017 - 10:13am
No man has seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he has declared him.
John 1:7

But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.
The other disciples therefore said to him, We have seen the Lord.
But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.
And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.
Then he said to Thomas, reach here your finger, and behold my hands; and reach here your hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.

And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.

Jesus said to him, Thomas, because you have seen me, you have believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.
John 20:24-31
Keith Added Aug 14, 2017 - 10:27am
Quote:  "Does he whisper to you in the morning?"

He has otherwise said that God told him to vote for Trump.  So the answer to this would appear to yes.  Which just makes him either a liar or a nutter.

Don Added Aug 14, 2017 - 12:50pm
Keith you wrote: “That you view the Bible as a message of war says it all. Do tell us which of God's children you are at war against.?” And again Keith you asked if I believed : “That the Lord sacrificed his only son as some sort of message of hate.
Because I wrote nothing even remotely related to what you read into my articles, I can only believe I am dealing here with what we psychologists call “projection.”
On the other hand, the Bible is all about war but it is about the war of the elohims. As St Paul wrote in Cor 6:12 “For our struggle is not against human opponents, but against rulers, authorities, cosmic powers in the darkness around us, and evil spiritual forces in the heavenly realm.” (By the way, why did you not say "do tell me" you said "do tell us".  Who is this "us"?
Keith Added Aug 14, 2017 - 1:34pm
No Don, those questions were firmly rooted in what you did say.

Quote:  "My point about Jesus and love is two fold. I am convinced that Jesus did not leave heaven to just give us the simple message of love one another. People all over the world know to do that otherwise they could never live in families or tribes. It’s not rocket science.
No, unless you finally realize that the Bible is all about war in the heavenlies among supernatural beings, you are going to trivialize it."

Don Added Aug 14, 2017 - 5:53pm
Keith, you wrote: “It's clear you don't have the most basic understanding of Christianity.” Keith, if that were true, I have surely fooled a lot of people. Besides having a theological degree, I have pastored Southern Baptist churches, and Episcopal churches, as well as preaching in Lutheran and Charismatic churches–big churches and small. I have been preaching the gospel for more than 60 years. I still say your problem is that you are projecting into my writings ideas that are not there. By the way, you never told me who “us” are.
Keith Added Aug 14, 2017 - 6:20pm
I do not question that you may have fooled a lot of people.  I'm not one of them.
John Minehan Added Aug 15, 2017 - 9:48am
Don, somehow your theological presentation does not scream, "Episcopalian" to me.

It almost seems more Zoroastrian or Manichean than Christian.  One almost expects an injunction against "Aka Manah."

Flying Junior Added Aug 16, 2017 - 2:21am
Good God, Dannl!  Obama was the beast?  Ha ha ha!  You're a goof!  I mean, no offense.  I almost unfollowed you because I realized you were a birther.

How about we go with Romans 13:1-7?  Obey the governing authorities because no power is granted except through God.

13 Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.
6 This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. 7 Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

By this teaching, of course, Obama would have likewise been granted the power of the presidency by God.  Don't fuck with me with bullshit from Revelation.  That's not legitimate scripture.

Jesus, buddy.  The words of Christ in Red.

Most obvious problem in modern history with Romans 13, of course, would be Hitler.  How could God have anointed Hitler to become the next Napoleon?  The obvious answer is that God is not so intimately involved in elections & cetera.  That he mostly just wound up the world and let us all mold it and destroy it as we might.

But, okay.  I'll bite.  God chose Trump as his anointed leader.  That's why the so-called evangelical Christians lent him their support.

Even though he never darkened the door of a church one time in his adult life?  Even though he openly rants about his sexualization and objectivization of women?  Even though he kicked black people out of their apartments?  Even though when Trump visited his casinos, the staff had to evacuate all black employees.  Even though he peeked in on the dressing rooms where the Miss Universe contestants were getting dressed up and putting on their make-up?  Grab their pussies?

Don't make me laugh.
mark henry smith Added Aug 16, 2017 - 12:33pm
My God, my God
what a tease
exposing mysteries
in Abraham's progenies
in giggles gracing
little girls' faces
in the graceful squiggles
extremists put faith in
in the words of a sacrificed son
hanging from a cross
they know not what they've done
he cried out to the boss
from a world of smoke
and broken mirrors
where objects may be closer
than they appear
and more broken.

Marko aka Mark Henry Smith 8.15.57 all rights reserved. (C) 2017
Jeff Michka Added Aug 16, 2017 - 7:06pm
“Love your neighbor as yourself.” In that very confusing quote, I have never found anyone who can tell me who the neighbor is.-In context of the comment, must be a donut hole.