Fool On The Hill

What fool would accept a $1 yearly salary and risk his life and those of his family . . .  for his country?

Paul McCartney's words are perfect

Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66 -- Fool On The Hill

Day after day, alone on a hill
The man with the foolish grin is keeping perfectly still
But nobody wants to know him
They can see that he's just a fool
And he never gives an answer

But the fool on the hill . . .
Sees the sun going down
And the eyes in his head
See the world spinning 'round

Well on his way, his head in a cloud
The man of a thousand voices talking perfectly loud
But nobody ever hears him
Or the sounds he appears to make
And he never seems to notice

But the fool on the hill . . .
Sees the sun going down
And the eyes in his head
See the world spinning 'round

And nobody seems to like him
They can tell what he wants to do
And he never shows his feelings

But the fool on the hill . . .
Sees the sun going down
And the eyes in his head
See the world spinning 'round

He never listens to them
He knows that they're the fools
They don't like him

But the fool on the hill . . .
Sees the sun going down
And the eyes in his head
See the world spinning around

Comments

Minister Peaceful Poet Added Aug 11, 2017 - 6:59am
That song was like written for today wasn't it.
Doug Plumb Added Aug 11, 2017 - 7:27am
No way a group of kids wrote this in a garage. This and other stuff was handed to them, just like John Coleman, Phd, MI6 says in his books. Coleman is a great researcher and led me to read Adorno and understand what they re doing to us. That song and many others tell it like it is and for some reason the elites feel they must do this.
George N Romey Added Aug 11, 2017 - 9:04am
I've never questioned Trump's motives as I no not what is in his heart. But clearly he's been outgunned and out maneuvered by the shadow government. He was very naive to think they would not attack him with full force. Unless he is willing to war with them publicly he's doomed.
wsucram15 Added Aug 11, 2017 - 9:33am
This is a great song..
Doug-"a group" didnt write it in the garage, McCartney wrote this at his fathers house about the Maharishi they all were associated with at the time.  McCartney said the guru was made fun of by non-believers and was not taken seriously due to his giggle.  The song is good because talented people played on it.

What are the elites doing Doug?

Need to get out those corrective rose colored lenses for this perhaps William?  Its a great song though..

john guzlowski Added Aug 11, 2017 - 9:55am
Maybe Trump is listening to God.

His pastor just came out and said God wants Trump to go to war with North Korea.
Dino Manalis Added Aug 11, 2017 - 1:55pm
Trump is a billionaire, he seeks to make America greater, he doesn't need the government's income!
opher goodwin Added Aug 11, 2017 - 6:15pm
From where I stand - Trump is a dangerous loudmouth, a rich kid's son, arrogant and foolish. He brags. He boasts, He stamps his feet. He threatens. He lies. He uses every populist slogan going. He uses racism and division. And he is very likely going to precipitate a major war,
He is the fool on the hill. But not in the like Paul told it. He knows nothing and listens to fools.
Bill H. Added Aug 11, 2017 - 7:05pm
Opher - I don't believe Trump listens at all. He is simply reactive. His ultra-short attention span, ego reinforcement requirements, and his temperament at the moment are what dictates his reactions. There is no decisive process whatsoever, and being that he believes he is "smarter than the Generals", I'm certain he is not open to advice from his "advisors".
This along with exactly what you stated is what makes him a real danger.
opher goodwin Added Aug 11, 2017 - 7:09pm
Bill - I think you are right. He surrounds himself with his family and a bunch of deniers who mirror himself. I don't for a minute think he listens to any advice from those in the know. He is reinforced by his sycophants. The nepotism is remarkable and unprecedented. I am amazed he gets away with so much.
William Stockton Added Aug 11, 2017 - 8:31pm
opher, I take great satisfaction seeing snowflakes melt under their own heat (fear and anger).  LOL
Thank you for commenting!
William Stockton Added Aug 11, 2017 - 8:57pm
True that Dino.  Trump doesn't need $400k, it was a symbolic gesture to take $1.  Yet having his life and the lives of his family threatened by literally thousands of people is not symbolic and would never have made $400k worth it anyway.

George is right.  I doubt anyone comprehended the amount of corruption in the American government.  However, having Trump in office, everything is becoming much clearer.
Bill H. Added Aug 11, 2017 - 9:55pm
William - You are a prime example of a Trump robot.
William Stockton Added Aug 11, 2017 - 11:43pm
Bill H, you are what we call a Trump victim.
Micahel Dolan Added Aug 12, 2017 - 12:34am
Trump has destroyed the progressive liberal socialist democrat party.
Trump has also exposed the RINO- liars for what they are-useless lazy cowards. The democrat party thanks to 8 years of Hussein Obama-8 years of Deplorable Hillda-Beast are in-charge of NOTHING.

Donald Trump was the man the Democrats wanted to run against Hillary, they were celebrating when Trump won the nomination. Hillary was going to have a easy win, as they laughed it up and mocked Trump.

Trump won-even better- Trump won so many states which meant the Democrat Party has no power- they can stop Trump by acting like spoiled babies in order to stop Trump- RINO'S just as bad. The President has put fear into the hearts of our corrupt politicians.

Bill H. Added Aug 12, 2017 - 12:52am

We will all become Trump victims. Then we may finally unite again.
MJ Added Aug 12, 2017 - 8:09am
William, the fool on the hill will become tomorrow`s hero, but will they acknowledge him as a hero?
Trump is the only one that can get the US out of this demonic stale mate situation .........watch and learn America!
opher goodwin Added Aug 12, 2017 - 8:45am
Cheers William - more despair and disbelief rather than fear and anger though.
opher goodwin Added Aug 12, 2017 - 8:45am
MJ - we'll see if we survive the week without a nuclear war first.
MJ Added Aug 12, 2017 - 9:52am
Opher, nuclear war does not bring in money, only traditional warfare makes money for the scavengers.  There will be NO nuclear war!
opher goodwin Added Aug 12, 2017 - 10:14am
I hope you're right MJ. But I guess we're alright in Britain. There might well be profit to be made out of scaring the shit out of people so they kowtow a bit more though.
Maureen Foster Added Aug 12, 2017 - 10:16am
I think the opportunity and historic significance of being president and leader of the free world, makes a lot of the crap one has to deal with in that role worth it.  As for those politicians that work for free, they're true public servants.
opher goodwin Added Aug 12, 2017 - 10:22am
Maureen - I think Trump is using his position to make one hell of a lot more money than he was ever going to be paid.
Maureen Foster Added Aug 12, 2017 - 10:44am
Do you have any evidence or are you just making stuff up because you don't like him?
opher goodwin Added Aug 12, 2017 - 10:47am
Of course I do - he is using nepotism to put his family into posts, setting up his hotel for visiting dignitaries and using his golf courses too. He is in it to promote his businesses and will make millions.
Maureen Foster Added Aug 12, 2017 - 10:51am
I think Trump and his family members make a hell of a lot more money working in the private economy than as government bureaucrats.
opher goodwin Added Aug 12, 2017 - 11:00am
They will do when they're through. He's sorting it out to be sure.
Bill H. Added Aug 12, 2017 - 11:11am
Trump and his family are certainly using the office of President to increase their fortunes based on his priorities and the elimination of rules and regulations that he feels will minimize his profits.
Take a look at how many companies he is still running as of January 20th 2017 and especially the increase in revenue generated by Mar A Lago as compared to prior years. Here is a link to his Office of Government Ethics financial disclosure report for 2017:
opher goodwin Added Aug 12, 2017 - 11:25am
Bill - it is obvious that putting his business first was his main priority. What boggles me is how he managed to string so many poor people along? He pulled the wool over their eyes. How do they really think a billionaire, with a poor record for treating his employees, understands or cares about their interests? It was Trump first and last.
Wow!! What are those 98 pages of disclosures?
john guzlowski Added Aug 12, 2017 - 11:30am
Help?  Folks, this is off the topic, but is anyone else having trouble getting into their account?

I wanted to post something but can't get in.  My name appears in the profile but nothing else.

I wonder if I've been blocked for being too nice?
opher goodwin Added Aug 12, 2017 - 11:32am
John - there are glitches on the site at the moment. It'll rectify in time.
john guzlowski Added Aug 12, 2017 - 11:38am
Hope so, Opher.  Thanks.

john guzlowski Added Aug 12, 2017 - 11:39am
Opher, by the way, I tried to friend you on Facebook and was told I couldn't because you have too many friends.  Congrats.
john guzlowski Added Aug 12, 2017 - 11:40am
Opher, One more thing.  You and I have 25 mutual friends!
opher goodwin Added Aug 12, 2017 - 11:42am
Sorry about that John. You can check out my blog though - https://opherworld.wordpress.com - be good to see you there. There's a lot you might enjoy.
Bill H. Added Aug 12, 2017 - 12:14pm
Here is a piece from an article in Scientific American that gives a good example of Trump's priorities:
The Trump administration is proceeding with plans to overturn President Obama’s Clean Water Rule, which protects the drinking water of one in three Americans. Why? It’s not just that industry groups would like to be able to pollute more -- Trump himself has a vested interest (surprise!) in overturning the rule. See, under the current Clean Water Rule, Trump’s golf courses -- he owns 12 golf properties in the United States -- would have to take steps to prevent pollution, conserve water, and preserve wetlands. And that could cut into Trump’s profits. So naturally, he instructed the EPA to move forward with changing the rule. This is yet another bid by Trump to enrich himself by forcing a government agency to give his businesses a sweet deal -- a violation of the Constitution’s Domestic Emoluments Clause.
So Trump is not only seeking to enhance his profits with continuing business deals, but it also quickly changing regulations to enhance his profits during and after the time he serves as President.
opher goodwin Added Aug 12, 2017 - 1:03pm
Bill - I find that plain disgusting. The man is the lowest of the low. He appalls me.
Bill H. Added Aug 12, 2017 - 3:11pm

Virtually every regulation he voids and bill he signs seems to directly benefit his (and his cronies) fortunes.
Must be nice!
opher goodwin Added Aug 12, 2017 - 3:56pm
Carte blanche to do as he likes. They'll see through him eventually. He stinks.
opher goodwin Added Aug 12, 2017 - 3:57pm
I have never known such blatant nepotism.
George N Romey Added Aug 12, 2017 - 4:41pm
Remember Trump is a symptom of a failed economy and a failing government. Other than Sanders the same can be said of the entire 2016 election.  We are nothing more than at the end of a failed state. Trump is nothing more than the Court Jester for the Kings & Queens soon to lose power and legitimacy.
opher goodwin Added Aug 12, 2017 - 6:28pm
Worrying. Who steps into the vacuum? China?
William Stockton Added Aug 13, 2017 - 5:29am
Micahel, I agree.
In addition . . . the American people won against the DNC & corruption in 2016.  We just picked Trump to do it.  That poor fool.

And that is why the left will just never understand Trump.  For the first time, we have a president working for the people instead of a political corporation.
William Stockton Added Aug 13, 2017 - 7:39am
MJ,  "the fool on the hill will become tomorrow`s hero, but will they acknowledge him as a hero?"

There is a huge political divide in the US right now.  Actually, many large fractures in our society divided along differing ideologies.
As the violence and rhetoric escalate here, we will see who the heroes really are.
Micahel Dolan Added Aug 13, 2017 - 11:10am
Sanders and Mrs. Sanders are the liberal giants who will now become the socialist hero's who will solve all our problems. Nothing will stop them, even as the wife is exposed as a crook and the Bern now owns 2 to 3 homes-filthy rich Bernie. When will the fake news leftist liars tell the corrupt Bernie family-Crooks?--NEVER-EVER---
Bill H. Added Aug 13, 2017 - 11:27am
"The Bern" now owns 2 to 3 homes"
As compared to....................................................
Wow! He must be corrupt for sure!
Jeff Michka Added Aug 13, 2017 - 1:15pm
Bill H notes: "The Bern" now owns 2 to 3 homes"
As compared to....................................................
Wow! He must be corrupt for sure! - Well, now...Bernie just isn't Duhlan's Trump, so Bernie must be corrupt...LOLOL-If Sanders only had 2 or three hotels or golf courses, he'd be okay.
opher goodwin Added Aug 13, 2017 - 2:13pm
Micahel - owning 2-3 homes makes it impossible to be a socialist? I think not. Compared to the rest of the incumbents of the White House, past and present, that sounds fairly modest.
Barath Nagarajan Added Aug 13, 2017 - 2:15pm
William:
    I prefer Kashmir by Led Zeppellin:
Oh, let the sun beat down upon my face
And stars fill my dream
I'm a traveler of both time and space
To be where I have been
To sit with elders of the gentle race
This world has seldom seen
They talk of days for which they sit and wait
All will be revealed
Talk in song from tongues of lilting grace
Sounds caress my ear
And not a word I heard could I relate
The story was quite clear

The Maharishi didn't know that much.
President Trump is not a fool. What do you want him to do?He inherited North Korea and other problems from his predecessors. We have 28,000 soldiers in South Korea. If there is going to be war, I don't think there is, what should he do, pull them out?(I don't think he can)
opher goodwin Added Aug 13, 2017 - 2:27pm
Barath - diplomacy and tact - not belligerence and arrogant bluster. You don't mess with World War 3.
William Stockton Added Aug 13, 2017 - 2:29pm
Barath, Thanks for the additional words.
"President Trump is not a fool."

Ya, I completely agree.  :)

He never listens to them
He knows that they're the fools
They don't like him

The last lyric lines in this song are that the man on the hill is perhaps wiser than those that think he is a fool . . . and he doesn't care.

Actually, I wrote this article for me.  I didn't write it for anyone else.  It was my ode to the man on the hill (US Capitol) having a few reverse metaphors.  For the same reason, I love to call Trump the "Orange Beast".  The left hates it and melts in turn.  (did you see the replies from the self-proclaimed tolerant left?)  lol
Cheers
Jeff Michka Added Aug 13, 2017 - 2:48pm
Who suggested anyone "on the left" should "tolerate" you, Stockpot?
Barath Nagarajan Added Aug 13, 2017 - 4:08pm
Opher:
    Last time I checked NK is not white, nor mainly Christian, and neither is most of SE Asia and much of the world. Saying, White people, or White Christians are superior isn't very tactful or very good diplomacy.
   The first episode of the Newsroom where the guy says, " America isn't the greatest country in the world anymore, but we sure used to be, and we can be again" is good diplomacy(MAGA).
    Why blame President Trump, for problems he didn't create?
Even A Broken Clock Added Aug 13, 2017 - 7:46pm
William Stockton - are there unicorns in your imaginary environment where Trump ballerina's cavort around George Soros who is tied to a post surrounded by flames licking at his flesh? You mean you really, really believe that Donald Trump is working for the good of the American people? You must have some remarkable mushrooms.
William Stockton Added Aug 13, 2017 - 8:49pm
EABC,  "You mean you really, really believe that Donald Trump is working for the good of the American people?"
Yes, I do.  I really, really believe it.
Moreso, even his policies will be for the good of people on the left who are no longer liberal.  (liberals once had a just movement -- liberty).

The good news is that the DNC has bankrupted their own movement both in funding and morally.
Very strange that the core of the Democratic party who once fought for liberty are now moving over to the Republican side.  And quite frankly, Trump is a classical liberal.  That is why we see the neocons shitting all over themselves with Trump.
The only message the left has right now is skin color, race-wars, and sex-wars.  The vast majority of people have had enough of that schtick.  People want something more meaningful than pitting identities against identities -- having been the progressive "movement" now for decades.

"You must have some remarkable mushrooms."
They grow in my yard sometimes and I wish I could find a way to stop them.  They kill my grass.   Any suggestions?
Jeff Michka Added Aug 13, 2017 - 9:08pm
They grow in my yard sometimes and I wish I could find a way to stop them.  They kill my grass.   Any suggestions-Yup. If you can stop eating them to get your wild rightist fantasies, sprinkle the 'shrooms with liberal application of baking soda.  Won't kill the grass, but lights out for the 'shrooms. Last thing I'll ever recommend you do, Stockpot.
William Stockton Added Aug 13, 2017 - 9:16pm
Jeff,  As you say something positive and actually helpful, I respond with a thankyou.  I'll try the soda!  Cheers
Bill H. Added Aug 13, 2017 - 10:33pm
William,
So you don't think at all that Trump might be in it for his own benefit?
I mean, really???
William Stockton Added Aug 13, 2017 - 11:37pm
Bill H,  Do I think he is like Gandhi or Mother Teresa?  No.  Do you only live your life for yourself?

You and others have manufactured an Evil that doesn't exist.  It makes me wonder if it is because that is how people view themselves.  I don't know.  Perhaps the only thing people have going for themselves is fear and hate.  That is all that is left for them and they choose to stay there.

If you have already made your mind up about Trump, what more can I say?  If you are honestly questioning to find any common ground for trust, you only have yourself for answers.  Not sure why you are asking me.
opher goodwin Added Aug 14, 2017 - 7:43am
Surely William you can see that if you had a kinder, more caring leader it would elicit a kinder, more caring country? When you have a selfish belligerent leader it encourages those attributes in his followers and creates a divided country.
William Stockton Added Aug 14, 2017 - 11:30am
opher,  "Surely William you can see that if you had a kinder, more caring leader it would elicit a kinder, more caring country? "

This is the difference in paradigms.  You believe the means is the most important in society regardless of the outcome.  I believe both the means and the results (ends) needs to be considered.

The other big difference is that you think a leader shapes the opinions and attitudes of the people (this is Marxism).  I know very well that in our democracy it is the people that shape the leader.  Always has been this way in the USA.
Barath Nagarajan Added Aug 14, 2017 - 12:59pm
William:
     What I meant is that  a law goes further than the law itself. If you have a law that protects contraception( see right to Privacy, constitutional protection in Griswold v Connecticut), it becomes the accepted norm that if you think contraceptives are bad that your attitude is wrong.
Barath Nagarajan Added Aug 14, 2017 - 4:51pm
President Trump built a business worth over 9 billion dollars and was successful in business over a 35+year period. That's not an accident. That makes him one of America's best businessmen.
President G.W. Bush and his cadre of advisors and cabinet members were not incapable either, they were amongst America's most powerful men.
Barath Nagarajan Added Aug 14, 2017 - 4:56pm
Hillary only went to Wellesley and graduated with a J.D. from Yale law school so we'll forgive her for losing(the election).
opher goodwin Added Aug 16, 2017 - 4:55am
Michael - it is nothing to do with Marxism to believe a leader shapes the thinking of the organisation he/she is in charge of - it is psychology.
opher goodwin Added Aug 16, 2017 - 4:56am
Michael - I look at both means and outcome. To get to an outcome by any means is immoral in my book. The means of getting there is as important as the end result.
opher goodwin Added Aug 16, 2017 - 4:58am
William - sorry about the name - I was confused on threads.
John G Added Aug 17, 2017 - 12:11am
Stockton believes that he USA is a democracy shaped by the people?
Christ on a bike. The USA is an authoritarian oligarchy. The wishes of the people are ignored.

Recent Articles by Writers William Stockton follows.