Looking At The Middle

The last thing we need right now are people banging the partisan drums.  There are truths that transcend political affiliations but are mired and hidden in today's hard and irrational fighting.

It is time for people to start looking for common ground.  I am typically a conservative voter.  My core value is liberty so that may make me either a libertarian or a classical liberal.  I certainly am a Constitutional Conservative.  Labels are so confusing.  I am not religious so that would eliminate me from being a religious conservative politically.

The speech I find very interesting these days is coming out of the intellectual "left".  Academics who, before 2016, blended in quite well with their political side.  Today, these liberals are speaking out in a very rational manner on the problems with the left and right.

My short liberal listing (youtube has their channels):
Gad Saad (Liberal Professor of evolutionary psychology)
Dave Rubin  (Liberal talk-show host)

H.A. Goodman (Progressive Journalist)
Sam Harris (Liberal Intellectual)
Eric Weinstein (Progressive professor at Evergreen College)
Akkad of Sargon (Liberal British Journalist)
Lionel Nation (Michael Wm. Lebron, attorney and journalist)

Styxhexenhammer666 (Classical Liberal Youtuber)

Gad Saad & Eric Weinstein had a very interesting talk which I highly recommend.

I have a long list of Constitutional conservatives that I also think are rationally talking about the issues today.  Let me know if you want that list.

Comments

Bill H. Added Aug 15, 2017 - 12:01pm

I totally agree. People who have become programmed puppets of both parties are the issue. We need a new political party that will work with and for the good of the people, as our government was meant to be.
Both present parties have become tools of corporations and the disagreement and conflicts between the two parties actually works to the benefit of the corporations. Our technology is being used by the corporations to control the citizens and our government has become a puppet for them, being controlled by their strings.
Donna Added Aug 15, 2017 - 7:00pm
William I do believe this is the best article you have posted. I agree if we could simply replace the two parties start from scratch we might have a chance. As it stands now both parties thrive off of all the negative engery in the air. Both parties are owned by either corporate or big donors who have no interest in what is best for the whole Country. May I ask if you had to pick a person today to run the Country do you have one in mind? I find none who are in the arena so to speak worth a vote. Do you? )0(
George N Romey Added Aug 15, 2017 - 7:19pm
Great article William. Donna I'd vote for Max Keiser in a second. He's considering running for Congress.
William Stockton Added Aug 15, 2017 - 8:19pm
Bill H, "We need a new political party that will work with and for the good of the people, as our government was meant to be."

First, I'm glad you agree.  This is a good step forward for even you and I.  Agreeing that we should agree on something is like a breakthrough moment.  So, let that be a beginning for everyone.
Lastly, regarding your comment above, is already going into solutions when we haven't yet established a baseline for common agreement.  I think you may be jumping ahead.  Certainly, that could be the only rational solution here.
Jeff Jackson Added Aug 15, 2017 - 8:25pm
Political parties represent us, or some segment of us. We vote. Vote them out, all out, or attend their meetings and insist on new officials. None of the parties could get anywhere if no one, not one single person voted for them or came to their meetings. Someone somewhere is supporting them. Stop the support. Openly challenge them. We are a democracy, the people have power. We're accepting too little from them, and they are asking too much from us. They are nothing without our support.
William Stockton Added Aug 15, 2017 - 8:45pm
Donna,  "May I ask if you had to pick a person today to run the Country do you have one in mind?"

Yes.  We the people run the country.  They pick a person that matches their values . . . as well to meet the demands of modern problems.
Listen, I'm not avoiding your question but there is so much groundwork and dialogue required such that rational people on both sides may agree on who that leader would be in 2020.  The problem is that rational people are not coming together.   We are under some irrational spell that since there are only two sides to take, we have to pick one and it is a battle unto death.  This is craziness and will only lead to an all-or-nothing society.

So, you and I agree.  But I can't pick that person.  I want to first see if intellectuals can start treating each other with respect first.  That is the first step in having rational dialogue.  Then we may be able to talk about a rational leader that represents common and rational thinking.
Today, I am satisfied with Trump.  I think Gad Saad said it better than I could . . . and he is a liberal!
William Stockton Added Aug 15, 2017 - 8:58pm
"Donna I'd vote for Max Keiser in a second."

Thank you, George.  We have this desperate situation in American society today where political correctness is really now weaponized racism.
White folk are not reacting too well . . . in fact dialog is gone and actions now violent.
A future leader must guide the people through this very big problem.  That leader must be very, very strong and also see a way forward through current civil strife . . . and possibly a future civil war.  I would have to look at Max closer to see the qualities that I think will be needed to hold the republic together.

John G Added Aug 15, 2017 - 9:37pm
Your 'centre' would be between right wing liberals and the more right wing 'conservatives'.
Whereas most of the population is way to the left of the DNC 'centrists'.
Bernie Sanders ran a (in real terms) centrist New Deal Democrat platform and had to be cheated out of the race.
John G Added Aug 15, 2017 - 9:40pm
Unless he's had an epiphany in the last 3 years since I stopped watching from speaking to post-Keynesians like Michael Hudson, Max Keiser would crash the economy in a month.
Austerity is madness.
Balancing the budget would be like shooting yourselves in the head. And impossible anyway.
Bill H. Added Aug 15, 2017 - 9:54pm

If the government actually worked for the good of the people, the differences between both "sides" would become minimal. Once the citizens realized that they actually had a voice and it was being witnessed that compromises were being made to benefit all people, regardless of their status, race, income, or religious beliefs, we would once again become united. If we continue to allow corporations and special interests to pull the strings, we will collapse and fail.
wsucram15 Added Aug 16, 2017 - 12:06am
I like Sam Harris, hes done some really nice work in book form on philosophy and spirituality. But it was his debate at Harvard I think it was with Majiid Nawaz ( a reformist) that I really enjoyed.  They wrote a book together about the misconceptions and the future of Islam. Its very forward.
I still like Hertzberg and Farenthold(WP and Farenthold 451), Katie Tur does some of the best journalistic stuff I have seen in on cable news.
Shane Bauer from Mother Jones- great investigative journalist and has had some interesting podcasts (mini documentaries) on his research.
If you want to look at reliable "liberal" stuff or reporters, here are a couple.
Propublica- WSJ editor owns it and does investigative work from here. Two Pulitzer's in its 10 years of publication.
CPI...https://www.publicintegrity.org/
 I like the Intercept which is a Glenn Greenwald project.
John G Added Aug 16, 2017 - 3:36am
Sam Harris is an islamophobic hate preacher.
wsucram15 Added Aug 16, 2017 - 9:39am
I disagree..you just dont like what he is talking about. Which is fine, but he is a liberal and he talks openly about things people find uncomfortable.
I like him.
wsucram15 Added Aug 16, 2017 - 9:49am
On some of these "liberal shows" they do have Republicans and there are two I am particulary fond of due to their frankness. I cant say three, one isnt on the air now. One I see everywhere.  He is a former head of the RNC, Michael Steele.  I actually voted for him here when he ran for Senate.
The other is Steve Kornacki, he has his own show.
I really liked Greta but they could not get enough viewers for her...she was honest and pushed for the truth.  I liked her.
Mike Haluska Added Aug 16, 2017 - 12:42pm
Here is the problem in a nutshell:

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent
the government from wasting the labors of the people
under the pretense of taking care of them."

- Thomas Jefferson
Dino Manalis Added Aug 16, 2017 - 3:11pm
Centrism is pragmatism!
John G Added Aug 16, 2017 - 4:35pm
Jeanne I disagree..you just dont like what he is talking about. he is a liberal
Indeed, I don't like racist scumbags pushing war for the corporate state. Yes he is a liberal. Stands for nothing but grifting.
William Stockton Added Aug 16, 2017 - 10:28pm
Mike,  Great quote!
William Stockton Added Aug 16, 2017 - 10:34pm
Jeanne,  I'll check those people out.  I'll get back with you.
wsucram15 Added Aug 17, 2017 - 3:40am
Ok, you might not like some of the links or authors..I just like some of the frankness.   Look and see what Greta Van Susteren is doing now. I cant find anything.   She has a FB, but nothing.
Let me know what you think..its to the left now, but its objectively good left and not sensationalized.
Mike Haluska Added Aug 17, 2017 - 4:30pm
Hey Bill - let's see your list of Constitutional Conservatives
Jeff Michka Added Aug 17, 2017 - 5:08pm
Austerity is madness. -But that's what will sell the masses on it, despite cutting their own throats just to be "fiscally responsible."
William Stockton Added Aug 17, 2017 - 9:57pm
Mike,  Here ya go!
Although they might not be completely labeled "constitutional" conservative.  But they are righties . . .

Andrew Napolitano

Jordan Peterson
William Stockton Added Aug 17, 2017 - 10:07pm
Michelle Malkin
Dinesh D'Souza

Your turn . . .
William Stockton Added Aug 17, 2017 - 10:08pm
By the way, those are the righties that I think are making the most rational arguments from the conservative perspectives.
William Stockton Added Aug 17, 2017 - 10:15pm
Honorable mention to the honorable Christopher Hitchens.  He was a liberal and converted to the right (although he would never admit it).  Even though he was an atheist, he held mostly conservative viewpoints.  Very hard to sum Hitchens up . . . and not sure he could be summed up in one label without unjustly condemning him to some simplistic word or phrase.
Mike Haluska Added Aug 18, 2017 - 12:14pm
I would add Ted Cruz
wsucram15 Added Aug 18, 2017 - 6:53pm
William and Mike; You know I try to talk to both of you for different reasons.
I like debating with Mike. William you are different, I have met more Trump supporters like yourself.  Strong definitely to the right, but even in strong debate, wiling to research and listen. Oh and on Katie Tur..just look at her bio... she was one of the first reporters to travel and interview Trump extensively and she fell into the position.

But Mike, you are like a few of the WV and South Carolina supporters I met. No matter what I show you or how much I prove to you there is a problem, not even MY opinion on Trump...you just want to hear Trump is saving Washington DC.

Its ok.. But honestly, with me, you dont need to write in all caps. In fact stop arguing with people and I tell ALL Trump people this.  We dont have to agree on Trump, we arent going to, ever.

But we do need to agree to somehow begin a dialogue to help save this country, it is torn apart.  For example..literally Trump cannot do this by himself, he does not have the skillset and in my opinion, the inclination.   If you dont want to suggest anything that is fine also. Just asking.

Not one person in the US wants this country to fail. They dont, its not in our DNA and it is not to our benefit.  We just dont agree on how to succeed.  This is the discussion we need to have.  How can EVERYONE work together?  Its a thought process...just think on it.
No CLinton..no obama ..no one cares anymore and I really dont.   AS far as Trump most people hate him, but he is the President.
So how do we fix the narrative? Ive been working on this and I will be working on this some more in the weeks to come.

George N Romey Added Aug 18, 2017 - 7:25pm
Jeanne WB is a reflection of the US at large. Lots of fed up people with lots of different opinions on how we got here and how do we fix it. The real crisis has to happen and so widespread it can't be covered up before we work together,

When I say economically we are in a modern form of the Great Depression people laugh. They point to lines at soup kitchens in the 1930s. But what we don't see in the press are the massive lines at food pantries or the churches overrun by charity requests. We've learned in this country how to sanitize our messes but trickery only lasts so long.
John G Added Aug 18, 2017 - 8:37pm
The lessons of the 1930s have been swept down the memory hole. People know less about economics now than previous generations.
There's a reason for that.
wsucram15 Added Aug 18, 2017 - 10:02pm
George I dont agree, it is a reflection of mostly the right and moderates, definetly not the US at large and not minorities either.
Maybe some liberals but they are conservatives.
Im not even a liberal although most of you consider me one.  Liberals dont last long on here.  If there was a complete balance on here, no one would be able to comment.

My actual liberal friends that i have BEGGED to come on here, look at the site and because they are busy or whatever, they dont want to research and write an article then post it in order to argue with you guys.  They would rather be doing something else.  I know two or three people that look at the articles though.   Not ALL liberals scream and yell, some are extraordinarily educated and have their own ideas. You might be surprised.

PS everyone..Lem Bray is on here..cant remember the article..but he is commenting.  So excited.  Also a thinker.
Flying Junior Added Aug 19, 2017 - 1:30am
I'm not sure how Sanders was cheated when HRC got 17 million votes in the 2016 democratic primary, very nearly the number that she was awarded when she historically broke the glass ceiling in 2008.   What's more, she would have won the primary regardless of the democratic tradition of super-delegates.

What is conveniently forgotten is that it was she who was crowded out in 2008, a much closer primary.  Who could forget the infamous, 1/2 delegate vote count in the Michigan democratic primary?  Jimmy Carter personally pushed the primary contest in favor of Barack Obama.  She served her opponent faithfully as SOS for four years.  She is and always has been a tireless force for justice.

I have recently heard of a principled republican who rather than vote for the monster, Trump, salved her conscience by writing in something as ridiculous as Paul Ryan.

Anyone who didn't vote for Hillary in the general cast one half a vote for Trump.
John G Added Aug 19, 2017 - 5:33pm
Another Correct the Record poster?

Recent Articles by Writers William Stockton follows.