PROCLAIM LIBERTY THROUGHOUT ALL THE LAND

Phoenix prepares for Trump’s rally and the chaos it may bring

Reading the Washington Post article linked above was the perfect segue to sharing my experience in Phoenix in the Spirit of '76.

I am a Canadian.

Free to speak without fear.

Free to worship in my own way.

Free to stand for what I think right.

Free to oppose what I think wrong, and

Free to choose those who shall govern my country.

This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind

It was in the days of my youth in 1960, when Kennedy was President, the Prime Minister of Canada, John Diefenbaker, introduced this preamble to the Canadian Bill of Rights.

I am not always conscious of this ideal, but in retrospect, as I just turned 67, I now realize it has been my internal auto pilot governing how I conduct myself, and how I deal with others. (I'm enjoying my 74th year now)

I think this Canadian ideal of Liberty is totally consonant with America´s highest ideals.

I suppose that´s why Americans don´t know much about Canada, your closest neighbour and friend. We don´t cause you problems like the other countries you do know about do. Canada is your most secure source of oil in the world, and we haven´t rocked your boat, even with the Great Lakes between us. We have been at your side when it mattered.

The American Declaration of Independence from the bad, old ways things were done embodies the very same ideal contained in the opening paragraph:

´WE hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.´

What has this got to do with the American Liberty Bell and all it symbolizes? There is a big difference between espousing high ideals and practising what you preach. The Liberty Bell rings hollow in proclaiming Liberty throughout the land when the early wealth of a Nation is built on the backs and labour of slaves. That is why the crack is there.

I believe, as a Canadian and objective observer, President Obama is beginning the attempt to repair that crack between people. Obviously, being a prisoner of The White House, it is up to WE, The People, to actually do it, whatever is necessary.

I was upwardly mobile in the business world in 1975 when I experienced a Spiritual awakening as powerful and unexpected as the conversion of Saul on the road to Damascus.  At 30, I sold all my possessions, and with a back pack on my back, headed into the Unites States to discover the Spirit of ´76.

For part of that 14 month experience I spent time in Tempe,  at Arizona State University. I joined with the Cardinal Newman Center, the just off Campus Roman Catholic church. The Center itself was a new, one level, L shaped building, built around the old church well over 100 years old at the corner. It was unsafe to use for worship. but it had a BIG Bell in the Bell Tower. Every Day, someone was assigned to ring that Bell by a long rope about four inches thick in diameter.

The Priest would let me read the scriptures during services, but as often as I asked, he would not let me ring the Bell. One Day, to my great joy, the priest gave me the key to the old church and told me to ring the Bell and call the Faithful to Worship.

Being my first time in the old church, the Bell looked to be so high up in the tower as I grabbed hold of the long rope. Starting slowly, I started to get into it and pulled that rope as I prayed to the Angel of the Bell.

With every fibre of my being, with all my vibrations praying/thinking to the Angel, I thought, ¨Lord, let the sound of this Bell rise above the noise and the din of the city traffic. Let the sound of the Bell rise above all the petty hatreds, squabbles, conflicts and jealousies. Lord, let this Bell proclaim Liberty throughout all the Land!¨ I was really getting into it.

The priest came running over in a panic. His hands were covering his ears as he said, ¨ Stop it! Stop it! You´re ringing that Bell too loud.¨ They never let me ring the Bell again.

Music video Ten Years After - I'd Love to Change the World

Music video Robbie Robertson - Showdown at Big Sky

Changing the World starts with the Individual changing themselves.

Comments

opher goodwin Added Aug 22, 2017 - 6:42pm
I can certainly identify with the preamble. That's what I believe too. But you lost me with the religious stuff. I don't do that.
Ray Joseph Cormier Added Aug 22, 2017 - 6:45pm
What religious stuff? My thoughts to the Angel of the Bell and what happened?
Autumn Cote Added Aug 22, 2017 - 10:04pm
Please note, the second best way to draw more attention to your work is to comment on the work of others. I know this to be true because if you do, I'll do everything in my power to draw more attention to your articles.

PS - There is a lot I can do and would like to do on your behalf.
Dino Manalis Added Aug 23, 2017 - 9:16am
 Canada is America's best friend; ally; and trade partner, perfect together!
opher goodwin Added Aug 23, 2017 - 9:16am
It was a nice anecdote Ray.
wsucram15 Added Aug 23, 2017 - 9:22am
Your last line is correct.  I havent seen you before so welcome.
Ari Silverstein Added Aug 23, 2017 - 10:07am
“I believe, as a Canadian and objective observer, President Obama is beginning the attempt to repair that crack between people.”

President Obama was president for 8 eight years.  During that time an ugly organization known as Black Lives Mattered condoned the killing of cops simply because they are all perceived to be racist.  Not to mention the many riots that occurred under his watch.  Accordingly, I’d make the argument he directly or indirectly increased the size of the crack.
Ray Joseph Cormier Added Aug 23, 2017 - 10:25am
Ari, I distinctly recall, even before he was sworn in as President,  after the Global Financial Meltdown-Economic Pearl Harbour that happened in the Lame Duck session of President Bush Obama inherited, the Republicans stated their ONLY GOAL WAS TO DESTROY THE OBAMA PRESIDENCY, and they did everything possible to do just that.

Bush fought 2 Wars on credit in addition to giving big tax breaks to the supposed rich job creators who created jobs offshore to get even more money for themselves.

As a Canadian, I remember the terrible things the opposition was saying about Obama all those 8 years, and who can forget Trump hyping the 'birther' issue to de-legitimize the Obama Presidency, appealing the the racist right all those 8 years.

Having said all the above, I am not an Obama supporter any more than I am a Trump supporter. I loved the idealism in his speeches, but he did the opposite in practice

What you sow, so shall you reap, and it seems the Pendulum has swung to the other side.
Ray Joseph Cormier Added Aug 23, 2017 - 10:27am
opher g you write this, "But you lost me with the religious stuff. I don't do that"  but it doesn't bother you with your last comment in your article, 'Like it or not the United Nations is the only hope.'

I didn't get what you mean in your comment @ 9:16am

Dino, PM Trudeau of CanaDa has echoed Germany's Merkel. With the advent of Trump, it may be Time to declare Independence as US Vassal States.
Bill Caciene Added Aug 23, 2017 - 11:48pm
What makes you think we Americans don’t know much about Canada or that we also haven’t had your back over the years.  Our alliance goes both ways, same with ignorance about our two countries.

As for our cracked liberty bell, I couldn’t agree more.  Like your country, there is plenty of work that needs to be done.  However, slavery has was abolished long ago.  So on that matter there is nothing more to discuss as the current generation is not engaged in that ugly practice anymore.

What does this article have to do with Trump or the Phoenix rally?
Ray Joseph Cormier Added Aug 24, 2017 - 8:06am
You may know something about Canada, but you are not WE as in all Americans. A recent poll showed 25% of Americans didn't know the 1776 Revolutionary War was fought against the British.

CanaDa is not trying to control this World as the US has attempted to do since it dropped the Nukes in WWII. WE rejected US nukes when they wanted to deploy them in CanaDa in the 60s. Because the US has 10x the population of CanaDa, when the US sneezes, CanaDa gets the cold. Canadians are fed US news in our newscasts.

CanaDa was fighting in WWI & WWII 2 years before the Yanks entered. CanaDa was fighting in Kandahar Province, the worst of the worse places in Afghanistan, for the USA.

Did you read the article, Bill?

After Charlottesville, and the unknown of what might possibly happen in Phoenix because of this Washington Post header, 'Phoenix prepares for Trump’s rally and the chaos it may bring.'

My prayer in Phoenix in 1976 is TOTALLY RELATED.
'With every fibre of my being, with all my vibrations praying/thinking to the Angel, I thought, 'Lord, let the sound of this Bell rise above the noise and the din of the city traffic. Let the sound of the Bell rise above all the petty hatreds, squabbles, conflicts and jealousies. Lord, let this Bell proclaim Liberty throughout all the Land!'
Bill Caciene Added Aug 25, 2017 - 5:52am
I’m sure one could ask any easy historical question of any populace living in any country and they’d would be equally ignorant as Americans proved themselves to be.  Or are you saying Canadians are smarter/know more about history than Americans?

Americans are not trying to control the world.  The fact we used atomic weapons 60 years ago to end a war says nothing about Americans of today.  As for the fact you’re exposed to Americans news, that’s what happens when you’re the neighbor of one of the world’s superpowers.  As for the help you provided in various wars you agreed to fight, it’s a mere token commitment.  Americans are the ones losing tons of blood and treasure.
Ray Joseph Cormier Added Aug 25, 2017 - 8:18am
You really are ignorant of the facts, Bill. It's not "token" commitment when 158 Canadian Soldiers died in Afghanistan because of your 9/11. The US did not pay for the cost of deploying 40,000 Canadian troops to Afghanistan.

These are the stats for the Canadian effort during WWII
Military Deaths in WW2‎: ‎45,300 and 1,100,000 Canadian fought
Entry into WW2‎: ‎10 Sep 1939
Population in 1939‎: ‎11,267,000
The figures are even more stark for WWI

I would say on average, Canadians are more knowledgeable about history because we have a better school system than Americans. History was my favourite subject in school.

You are most probably ignorant of this recent History published by the KANSAS CITY TIMES on September 13, 1976:
target="_blank">target="_blank">“He came to town for the Republican National Convention and will stay until the election in November TO DO GOD'S BIDDING: To tell the world, from Kansas City, this country has been found wanting and its days are numbered […] He gestured toward a gleaming church dome. “The gold dome is the symbol of Babylon,” he said.” […] He wanted to bring to the Public’s attention an “idea being put out subtly and deceptively” by the government that we have to get prepared for a war with Russia.”

It's taken over 40 years, but that 1976 FUTURE is NOW with the Revelation of the details GENERALLY unfolding in the spirit of the letter. The World is finally waking up to see Trump just may hasten “its days are numbered” part of the 1976 Newspaper record.

The KANSAS CITY TIMES did a follow up report on ALL SOULS DAY, November 2, 1976. When the TV movie 'THE DAY AFTER' Kansas City was incinerated in a Nuclear Holocaust appeared in 1983, most likely, I was the only Human on Earth, including the newspaper reporters, to note target="_blank">target="_blank">at the END, the movie pauses at the very same picture frame THE KANSAS CITY TIMES chose for the target="_blank">target="_blank">target="_blank">ALL SOULS DAY record 7 years earlier.

Any way you look at it, that HISTORICAL FACT is a confirming SIGN for our Generations, the World has arrived at this point of Decision, of an “idea being put out subtly and deceptively” by the government that we have to get prepared for a war with Russia.”
Utpal Patel Added Aug 25, 2017 - 11:41am
2,386 American soldiers died in Afghanistan.  2,386 is a much higher number than 158.  Would you like to also compare how much we spent in the fight against terrorism to how much Canadians spent?  So Bill is absolutely right, while every life is invaluable, what you’ve lost is a drop in the bucket compared to what Americans have lost…show a little respect.

If Canadians are so smart why is your economy so much weaker than ours?  How many Fortune 500 companies make their headquarters in Canada?  Like you said, our sneezes are you colds, meaning comparatively, Canadians matter very little.
Ray Joseph Cormier Added Aug 25, 2017 - 8:45pm

The US has 10x the population of CanaDa and it's your War, not ours. Per capita, 158 Canadian soldiers killed is comparable to 2386 Americans killed with the difference in populations.

As for getting a cold, CanaDa has Universal Health Coverage for all the People, and if a Canadian is sick with a pre-existing condition, that makes no difference. They're still treated at no extra cost.

American Capitalism is so sick, Americans think nothing of paying huge monthly premiums to private Insurance companies for Health Care, with huge deductions on top of that. That system costs more than the taxes Canadians pay for complete coverage and is a useless go between a Patient and a Doctor, making money off the sick for no justifiable reason except to enrich Investors.

The Federal and Provincial governments pay the Doctors directly. They don't interfere anymore than that.  The US has one of the most expensive least efficient Health Care systems in the world.

Utpal Patel Added Aug 26, 2017 - 12:03am
The fight against terrorism is a global battle.  If Canada were to sit this one out, I would think less than your country than I already do.  As for population size and dead soldiers in Afghanistan, more than 10x as many Americans have died.

I will defend our capitalistic system and healthcare system over any country in the world, but I have no interest in getting in the weeds on these issues.  The fact we have the highest GDP in the world by a wide margin is all the evidence you need to know that America is doing something very right.  That being said, Canada is a strong country too, albeit not in the vicinity of close to America.

Ray Joseph Cormier Added Aug 26, 2017 - 7:04am
 'A word of advice for your next article, lose the arrogance and moral superiority or people like me will have to set you straight again.'

Set me straight with what? Your projection of arrogance and moral superiority. What a joke!
John G Added Aug 28, 2017 - 2:25am
Cacienne. Americans are not trying to control the world.
The US elite IS trying to control the world. It is stated US strategic policy.
That you are unaware of something doesn't make it untrue.
Saint George Added Aug 28, 2017 - 5:22pm
That you are unaware of something doesn't make it untrue.

And that you assert something doesn't make it true.

Here's a novel idea: present evidence to support your assertions.
Ray Joseph Cormier Added Aug 28, 2017 - 5:49pm
U.S. Military Troops and Bases around the World, The Cost of ‘Permanent War'”, confirms the presence of US military personnel in 156 countries.
The US Military has bases in 63 countries. Brand new military bases have been built since September 11, 2001 in seven countries.
In total, there are 255,065 US military personnel deployed Worldwide.

None of the Dictatorships the US has installed or support offer any push back. It's only the Dictatorships the US can't dictate to marked for regime change.