HOW TO SPEAK FOREIGN

HOW TO SPEAK FOREIGN

Just how many Russians are YOU actually friends with? Syrians, Pakistanis,

Germans, Iranians, Cubans?

EVEN Ohioans?

Not many, if you are an American, Tubularsock would guess. But so many people have an opinion about “Others”.

According to what “news” reports one reads, how much better or less of an understanding do you really have regarding people you have never met?

Same goes for religious groups, Jews, Muslim, Christian, Buddhists, Taoists. What do you really know about any of these religious groups? Really!

Most people don’t KNOW much about even their “own” religion let alone about someone else's.

In most all these cases we all have “judgments” about other people and religions but we don’t really know much at all about them in truth.

Why is that?

Doesn’t that seem strange to you?

Our nation will go off and KILL these people but we don’t even know them.

What is that all about?

Let’s say you are walking down a street and you see an Ohioan walking toward you.

How do you prepare yourself for the approaching encounter?

Do you pretend you don’t see them and pass on by. Most likely the best idea.

But after reading this from Tubularsock you may “reach out” and engage in a conversation.

Well a sure bet is something like this: "Hi, so the Ohio state reptile is the black racer."

Oh sure, you could continue with the added information that the state approved the choice in 1995 but that may be a little too much.

You know, you might look like you are trying too hard.

Be careful of your wallet. Perhaps reaching into your pocket and just hold it as a precaution.

This tactic is well advised while dealing with Ukrainians as well.

You’d perhaps want to continue your conversation with references to the

Aesculus glabre

to appear more intimate using a reference to your knowledge of their nickname

or you may just leave that for another day and just hurry on your way.

So you see, it is good to know things about “foreign cultures” so as not to be so judgmental.

Well, that is all the time we have today with Tubularsock’s continuing series:

HOW TO SPEAK FOREIGN.

Comments

Tubularsock Added Sep 5, 2017 - 11:29am
You already know this but Tubularsock's favorite past time is redundancy!
Benjamin Goldstein Added Sep 5, 2017 - 1:34pm
You already know this but Tubularsock's favorite past time is redundancy!
This was the only sentence worth reading.
Dino Manalis Added Sep 5, 2017 - 2:06pm
Respect all people; their ethnicity; and their religion!  All the Best!
Michael Cikraji Added Sep 5, 2017 - 2:07pm
HEY!
I'm an Ohioan! WTF??!! We're not so bad!
Tubularsock Added Sep 5, 2017 - 4:29pm
WAS Dwight president? IS Ohio a state? Questions, questions, questions. Dannl thanks for your comment!
Tubularsock Added Sep 5, 2017 - 4:30pm
Benjamin Goldstein, thank you. Tubularsock was attempting to save you time from the outset. Seems to have worked.
Tubularsock Added Sep 5, 2017 - 4:30pm
Ditto, Dino. Tubularsock couldn’t agree more.
Tubularsock Added Sep 5, 2017 - 4:31pm
Michael Cikraji, Tubularsock implied nowhere that Ohioan’s were bad.

Tubularsock was just using Ohioan’s as an example of a type of greeting that could be used to address one.
Tubularsock Added Sep 5, 2017 - 4:31pm
Tubularsock agrees with you, Dannl when you wrote “Michael, you’re cool!:)”.

Now that leaves 11,613,422 Ohioans to go!

If you have some time will you check the rest of the Ohioans out as well? Thanks.
John G Added Sep 5, 2017 - 5:28pm
The amount of BS I read about muslims and Islam from western people who should know better constantly amazes me.
It's kind of scary that some of these people are teaching our younger generations.
The propaganda lately is so poor (in in ridiculousness terms) than any adult should be able to see straight though it.
But nope. It works.
Western foreign policy i.e. imperialism and war for wars' sake, depends on teaching the population to hate the other.
You can't oppress people that you don't hate.
Jenifer Frost Added Sep 5, 2017 - 5:55pm
I'm a Ohioan. I'm friends with two Russians, one who now lives in Ohio also. I'm also friends with a Texan who now lives in Russia (long story). And I use to be friends with a Ukrainian but he was murdered by the Kiev Neo-Nazis in 2014. I also am friends with a Muslim. That's about it for me.

I don't know about speaking "foreign" but I do speak fluent Russian, Latin and Hebrew. A few other ancient languages as well.

As for the article subject, I think a lot of people are afraid of outsiders, and the unknown. The solution is to get to know the "other."
Tubularsock Added Sep 5, 2017 - 6:44pm
John G, thanks for your comment. It does amaze Tubularsock as well. For a country that brags about it’s values of freedom certainly misses the point of that fundamental belief when it comes to the practice of said values.

We can blame the MSM for misinformation just so much but then it falls on the individual citizen to find out themselves. The information is all over the place but one does have to get up from the TV and maybe EVEN READ!
Tubularsock Added Sep 5, 2017 - 6:46pm
Jenifer, you are the second Ohioan that has reported in (and you’re cool) so now there is still 11,613,421 that still haven’t reported in. There is still time.

You also break the arbitrary threshold that Tubularsock had come up with about Americans and their knowledge of “foreigners”.

And then to know more than just English sets you apart for sure. Very lucky you!

So. You seem to have reported that a mass migration of Russians have hit Ohio or should Tubularsock say Russian because you only reported one. But do be careful!

It just shows you the advance Intel the Russians possess to even find Ohio. Impressive!

Tubularsock is in full agreement with your conclusion that people are afraid of outsiders and the only thing that has to happen is getting to know one another.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.
Jeff Michka Added Sep 5, 2017 - 7:46pm
Tubularsock asks: If you have some time will you check the rest of the Ohioans out as well? Thanks- From what I read, Ohio is the epicenter of the opiod crisis.  They're ODing like flies....perhaps you might say to an approaching Ohioian, "MMMMUMBLE DOFITS..."  and they will understand. LOL
Ari Silverstein Added Sep 6, 2017 - 8:24am
The Taliban and other terrorist entities chant death to America and then sends their combatants to America to kill Americans indiscriminately.  What else is there to know before we kill them?

Stone-Eater Friedli Added Sep 6, 2017 - 9:36am
Tube

Excellent. Especially the first half of it. Can't judge Ohioans, but I bet some of them are similar to French or Bulgarians. They also might shit into a toilet and not onto main street.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Sep 6, 2017 - 9:38am
Ari

Might be useful to think about the WHY. And so far I haven't heard of a "terrorist attack" in the USA, unlike we have it in Europe. There also: WHY ? You might figure that by yourself when you get some background informations. Tip: Economy....
Bill Kamps Added Sep 6, 2017 - 1:11pm
Ari, they also chant "death to traffic" so it may be useful to know how their idioms are translating into English.  I'm not saying they like us, but at the same time when we say to someone they are "full of shit' its not literally what we mean.

Tubular, for the  record, I dont know anyone from Ohio, but I do have friends, in Ukraine, Russia, Iran, UK, Colombia, Argentina, Germany, China, to name a few places.  You are correct that having more context for how the world sees us, is helpful.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Sep 6, 2017 - 5:15pm
Bill

Thanks. A new car costs about the same as a trip around the world....;-)
John G Added Sep 7, 2017 - 3:24am
Silverstein. The Taliban and other terrorist entities chant death to America and then sends their combatants to America to kill Americans indiscriminately.
How can adults believe this sort of inane state propaganda? Were you all dropped on your head at birth?
Saint George Added Sep 7, 2017 - 5:59am
You already know this but Tubularsock's favorite past time is redundancy!

Sorry, but could you repeat that?
Saint George Added Sep 7, 2017 - 6:00am
Might be useful to think about the WHY.

Why?
Michael Cikraji Added Sep 7, 2017 - 12:20pm
Hey guys,
I was given a job to do, and I checked out some more Ohioans. There are some more cool ones like me, but some decidedly uncool ones too.
One that I can't decide on is Lebron James. He's pretty cool sometimes, so long as he plays ball and doesn't open his mouth too much... then a bunch of cheezy ghetto crap can spill out....
Jeff Michka Added Sep 7, 2017 - 6:52pm
Michael Cikraji sez: and I checked out some more Ohioans.-Well all anyone can say to you is MUMBLE DOFITS.... LOL
Tubularsock Added Sep 7, 2017 - 7:51pm
Jeff, Tubularsock thanks you for your attempt to “reach out” to Ohioans.

It is obvious that Ohioans would go for Opiods. It’s an O state after all!
Tubularsock Added Sep 7, 2017 - 7:52pm
Ari, Ari, Ari, Tubularsock knows this may surprise you but there is a couple of steps that you have left out before these so called terrorists make the decision to become terrorists.

If Tubularsock was going along with your line of reasoning then saying the Israelis recruiting Jews from all over the world to come and steal Palestinians’ homes and kill Palestinians indiscriminately then what else is there to know before we kill the Jews?

If you get Tubularsock’s point!
Tubularsock Added Sep 7, 2017 - 7:53pm
Stone-Eater Friedli, the one thing that Ohioan’s “do do” is use a toilet.
Tubularsock Added Sep 7, 2017 - 7:53pm
Bill Kamps, well to help you out because you seem to know a lot of worldwide friends, is to send nine Ohioan’s over to your house for dinner tonight. It’s a small world after all!

Let Tubularsock knows how it goes.
Tubularsock Added Sep 7, 2017 - 7:54pm
Sure Saint George, “You already know this but Tubularsock's favorite past time is redundancy!”

Anything to help. Thanks for your comment!
Tubularsock Added Sep 7, 2017 - 7:55pm
Michael Cikraji, Tubularsock appreciates your efforts and to even risk your life perhaps to go to the multimillionaire “ghetto” to do specific research.

You are a brave fellow!
wsucram15 Added Sep 7, 2017 - 8:31pm
I was born in Maryland, but raised in Eastern Ohio, I moved when US Steel closed and we managed to straiten out financial matters in 1984.  I have family and lifelong friends there and go back to visit from time to time since its only a 6 hour drive.

Ive met many different kinds of people either working for them or having to deal with international transactions.  People from Sweden, France, China, Singapore, Russia, Brazil, Mexico and Canada.  Out of all of them, Brazilians and Mexican-Americans at Loredo and Mexico City were the most difficult to deal with.
I have known or know now, people that are Polish, Mexican, Italian (northern and southern), English, German, Irish.  Now I dont mean part, I mean that come from that country.  I ate at a Korean restaurant with my brother and the family that owned it were at my brothers home a couple of times I was there.  I think thats how he learned to make Korean food.

As far as religion..Ive met many Muslims, for a long time the rhetoric really bothered me, but after really looking into it, I dont believe there is harm there and I have had plenty to inquire about and say.
I dont see any difference between Muslims and hard core Christians, except the recommended text for instruction and devotion to principles.
John G Added Sep 8, 2017 - 5:16am
I met Dennis Kucinich once.
Did Obama threaten to throw him out of Air Force One? Or whatever his fellow CIA agents cooked up as a threat.
Saint George Added Sep 8, 2017 - 5:22am
Skidmark-john-g (named after "Toilet G" on the Ground Floor of the brothel his mother shat him out into [father unknown]) trolls this site because he shills for Russia and Palestinian terror groups that commit, or enable others to commit, atrocities against innocent people.

Who is your ideological compliance officer, skid-mark-g? Do tell.

Curious minds want to know.
A Classicist Writes Added Sep 8, 2017 - 9:48am
I try to respect all people; and the first step for me is not to succumb to knee-jerk prejudices based upon outward manifestations (for example, not to judge a person whose dress identifies him or her as Muslim).  And I like to think I succeed = )
Michael Cikraji Added Sep 8, 2017 - 10:43am
Jeff Michka, a hippie from Detroit, likes to make fun of Ohio for some reason... and apparently is the only one who likes to mumble dofits...
The real answer is that Ohio needs to legalize marijuana, which would help its opioid problem. Thanks guys, I think I'll write an article on it...
Jeff Michka Added Sep 8, 2017 - 1:04pm
Michael Cikraji sez: Jeff Michka, a hippie from Detroit, likes to make fun of Ohio for some reason...Well, you're there, right?  After you begged to be deemed "pro-Russian" enough to be approved by WB's chief Putinista, what else can one do but laugh at you?  To note, I'm not from Detroit.  We've already legalized maraijuana in the state I live in, and unlike an Ohioian, don't consider Detriot a place to flee to.
Michael Cikraji Added Sep 14, 2017 - 2:17pm
Jeff gets mad if you make fun of Detroit, his hometown. He also gets mad if you mention how awesome Cleveland has been doing as a city. The most recent example is the "Windians" of 2017... you have to feel sad for him. I do.

Recent Articles by Writers Tubularsock follows.