The Beat Goes On XVIII

The following is a dialogue between me and someone who thinks they're following the rules.  Who's right?

Autumn

Below is the full text of the rule. I don't think it could be any more straightforward.  Commenting on the work of others is not something you can do 5 days ago and expect me to stay silent if you post new articles to the site. I find it amazing we're even having this debate.  To get my white glove service and bring your work a much larger readership than you can do on your own, all you need to do is spend a few minutes of your time commenting on the work of others.  For whatever it’s worth, I consider it to be a big loss to lose you as a participant, but I’ve come to realize that this site is nothing without active comment threads.  Everyone needs to pitch in, even those writers whose writing I consider to be superior.

All participants are required to occasionally comment on the work of others.  This rule will be enforced without the help of a computer algorithm.  In other words, we will first issue a warning and then we'll enforce the rule.  As a rule of thumb, one insightful comment of more than two sentences per article submission of your own is all that is required.  The purpose for the rule is because it's easy to find authors willing to adopt Writer Beat.  The only reason it's easy is because of how active our commenters are.  When Writer Beat become a smashing success, this rule will go away.

Anonymous

But that seems to be the issue. I had commented multiple times since my last post but not in the last 24 hours before my next post. That to me represents an additional requirement that must be met. Not only do you need to make comments on others posts since your last post, but at least one of those comments must be made within 24 hours of the time you make your next post.

Again I am not trying to add difficulties to your role, but wanted to let you know of what I perceived as a logical inconsistency. As an ex engineer I pick up on things like this.

I'm good now so you don't need to reply

Autumn

Whenever someone posts a new article to the site I make a determination, is this an author deserving of my help or is this an author that needs to me reminded of the rules.  If you had written a single comment within 24-hours of your article submission, I would attempt to help you.  Seeing that you hadn't, I sent you my typical reminder message that it's required to comment on the work of others.

Anonymous

I commented on multiple posts from then till 9/14. Then I didn't post for a couple of days before my last post. I had believed that fulfilled the comment requirement. Is that belief in error?

Comments

William Stockton Added Sep 19, 2017 - 11:00am
Not to keep hammering on you Autumn, and please understand that I wish to seek clarification . . .

Dr. Rin Porter posted an article here (her first article) and had never commented on any other article but her own.  I didn't see you comment on her article reminding her of your rules which you typically do.
This just smacks of . . . of, uh . . . well.  It looks weird.  Let's just say that as politely as I can.  Any other words from me just become accusatorial.

Dave Volek Added Sep 19, 2017 - 11:16am
Autumn.

Maybe you can write some software to prevent people from posting articles unless they have first met your comment rules.
Leroy Added Sep 19, 2017 - 11:42am
For someone who has a lot of time on their hands, it is not an unreasonable request.  Most people, however, have families and jobs.  While there may be flurries of activity, there can, understandably, be gaps.  If the person is an active commenter, that would seem to be sufficient.  Maybe they are on the road.  They write an article.  When they have time, they post it.  When they have time, they comment.  Maybe it doesn't all sync up.  What's the big deal? Comments for the sake of comments are not particularly useful, IMHO.
wsucram15 Added Sep 19, 2017 - 11:57am
It takes less than 5 minutes to comment and promote an article for someone else.  Especially if you see a new writer.  Most of the established writers on here do that.  Some not so much, maybe they are busy and cant be on as much.
Before you do an article..comment once in awhile, just to comment.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Sep 19, 2017 - 12:00pm
I side with whoever is anonymous here. The rules don't speak of 24 hours. And I would not like such a rule.
Jeffry Gilbert Added Sep 19, 2017 - 12:11pm
Jesusfuckingchristonagoddamnfuckingcrutch what's so fuckin' hard about Autumn's rules? Its not like they are onerous. Fuckin' hell people! Do what she wants or don't and take the consequences of your decision. Simple. Really.
George N Romey Added Sep 19, 2017 - 12:46pm
I understand people use WB (and other social sites) when they have time or bored. People like Cliff are very active then gone for weeks. Strict time limits just aren't feasible for some people.
Ric Wells Added Sep 19, 2017 - 1:08pm
People grow up. It's her site. She can do what she wants. Unless you pay to write here or are getting paid you and I have no say. Oh gee that's not fair. Well guess either is life. Suck it up or go form your own site.
Thomas Sutrina Added Sep 19, 2017 - 1:13pm
We should be thankful that WB exist and someone is willing to baby sit it.  That I can tell you is a lot of work.  So we should not expect perfection.    We should expect consistency within reason.  So a person never commenting on another persons article should be pointed out.  As I said we are all human.

Have fun everyone.
Autumn Cote Added Sep 19, 2017 - 1:49pm
William,
The rule doesn’t apply to newbies.  After all, for most newbies, I’m the one that posted the article, all they did was say “sure.”

Dave,
The rule is only applicable to a handful of users and I can easily identify them without the help of an algorithm.  In addition, depending on the participant and article, I might take a different approach towards dealing with them.

Leroy,
If someone finds the time to post an article they have the time to write a comment.  The rule states that the comment must be insightful and last more than two sentences.

Benjamin,
Whether you like the rule was not the question I asked.  The rule has proven itself to be critically important to making sure all participants comment on the work of others.

Jeffry,
I couldn’t agree more.

George,
Who said anything about time limits?

Ric,
If I’ve applied the rules unfairly, I want to know about it.

Thomas,
I believe everyone that participates with Writer Beat is thankful. However, anonymous was pissed at me and I think he’s totally unjustified to be so.
Lee Webster Added Sep 19, 2017 - 1:51pm
Autumn Cote
The only confusion here is that the basic rules as stated do not specify a 24 hour commenting requirement.  You do mention that in your response to the anonymous person.

This site is your baby and not a democracy.  It is of course your right to agree or reject the advice, opinion, and appeals, etc.
Ric Wells Added Sep 19, 2017 - 1:52pm
That is understood. But if we are intelligent enough to write articles and post comments surely we know how to tell time.
Autumn Cote Added Sep 19, 2017 - 1:59pm
Lee,
In the rules I state that one comment per article submission of your own is all that’s required.  Anonymous posted an article and I had to go back four days to find a comment anonymous wrote to someone else.

Ric,
Was your latest comment for me or Lee?
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Sep 19, 2017 - 2:01pm
Ric

I now post a comment to see what time it is over there and check when I have written the last article. Because here we have a 6 to 8 hour difference to the place where WB sits apparently...no idea where, though. But that way it's a bit easier to respect the 48 hour limit for new articles.
Ric Wells Added Sep 19, 2017 - 2:02pm
Probably you Autumn. But if it applies to all then all including myself.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Sep 19, 2017 - 2:02pm
Autumn: Yes, my opinion on such a rule was my addenda. I also answered directly the question. It is very clear. The rules don't specify a period of 24 hours and therefore the rules were not broken. I don't even understand what the discussion is about. It's a factual thing. He/She is right: the rules don't specify anything that he/she has breached.
Ric Wells Added Sep 19, 2017 - 2:03pm
Autumn goes by eastern time it appears Stone.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Sep 19, 2017 - 2:04pm
Hm....it says WB is in Ashborn, Virginia. Now I have to consult google maps to check where Virginia is. I don't know every state LOL
Ric Wells Added Sep 19, 2017 - 2:05pm
Go to Washington DC and you'll see Va.
Ric Wells Added Sep 19, 2017 - 2:05pm
Eastern time zone.
Autumn Cote Added Sep 19, 2017 - 2:33pm
Stone,
If you’re ever confused about the time.  Write a comment in the last article you submitted, then compare the time of that comment to the time you wrote your article.  This means going forward there are no more excuses for submitting articles too soon.  :)

Benjamin,
How far back should I look to find evidence a new article contributing participant occasionally comments on the work of others?
Bustednuckles Added Sep 19, 2017 - 2:53pm
Hnmmm, I wasn't aware that this "rule" existed.
I don't post here very often, I have four blogs I could post to instead if I wanted to.
It's not a big deal to go find someones post and leave a comment on it and already had before I saw this one.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Sep 19, 2017 - 2:58pm
Autumn: This sounds like it was difficult lol. I mean you see all the comments of a user on the profile page and you see immediately when the last comment was made. Only when the last comment was too long ago you would check if it is on his own article or on another.
I leave the timeframe up to you. You kindly remind people when they don't comment enough anyway. So I don't know if you want to go by a strict rule.
BTW I think there is an uptick of new writers. Good job!

Autumn Cote Added Sep 19, 2017 - 3:27pm
Bustednuckles,
Would you mind sharing with me again a place where you post articles to outside of Writer Beat?

Benjamin,
Let's put it this way, it had been four days since anonymous had commented in an article he didn't author.  Scolding him was an easy decision to make.  If it had been 25 hours, I might have said nothing.  Speaking of new authors, here's another newbie in need of a comment:

Bustednuckles Added Sep 19, 2017 - 3:31pm
@ Autumn,
If you are referring to my Blogs, I have recently moved from the Google based Blogger platform to Wordpress for my main blog,
The Vulgar Curmudgeon.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Sep 19, 2017 - 3:38pm
Bustednuckles: Just followed you.
Bustednuckles Added Sep 19, 2017 - 3:39pm
Thank you sir.
Nasty Added Sep 19, 2017 - 5:54pm
I am new here, but it sounds like all these submission rules would drive people to use multiple blog sites, thereby lowering the participation rate on WB.
Isn't the idea of comment rules to Raise the participation rate? Sounds self defeating.

I think good writing and good comments would raise the participation rate, without rules.
Perhaps a limit on comment size, like you have on articles would mean more meaningful comments, lets say a 30 word minimum, would reduce insults and chatter. Unless you are just looking at hit rate.

Perhaps a word minimum would mean less comments to dull articles and drive away bad writers. But wouldn't that be a good thing?

Quality sells.
Nasty Added Sep 19, 2017 - 6:02pm
Also. Why are these rules so inviolate for seasoned contributors, as long as it is an occasional thing? A little Les Miserable "The law is the law." LOL
Autumn Cote Added Sep 19, 2017 - 7:59pm
Nasty,
I think the rules make more people choose to be here versus the people we may lose because they don’t like the rules.  The way I see it, there are two types of participants, those that comment on the work of others and those that don’t.  Those that comment on the work of others are the lifeblood of the site.  They make it so that authors choose to publish here.  They are why this site is far more fun than talking to a wall, the functional equivalence of much of the rest of the blogosphere.

A comment word count minimum would be too limiting.  Sometimes a brief comment is the best type of comment, but if anyone should agree with the suggestion I’d look into it a little more seriously.  Outside of newbies, I don’t think there should be different rules for different people.  Speaking of newbies, here’s another one in need of a comment:

opher goodwin Added Sep 20, 2017 - 10:41am
Opher - I can't see the point of being on WB unless we interact with each other. Especially if we don't agree. The rules seem clear and appropriate. I don't have a problem.
Does this count as a comment?
Wick Burner Added Sep 20, 2017 - 12:07pm
I usually (thus far on WB) spend some time reading other author's work after I have published an article of my own, and comment (generally) only when I think I can add value or feel a desire to engage or a need to contribute 'something'.  That's probably not following the rule in a prescriptive manner, but is just the way it seems to work out with the way I write.
Hope that's OK.
Autumn Cote Added Sep 20, 2017 - 12:52pm
Opher,
It’s a very low bar…yes

Wick Burner,
If you hadn’t have commented on the work of others soon after posting your article, I would have said something to you.  However, because you did, I will promote your recent submission:

To all,
Another newbie in need of some feedback:

Ray Joseph Cormier Added Sep 20, 2017 - 7:40pm
Autumn, your warning after posting an article earlier Today I have taken to heart. I now see what you want, and that is a totally reasonable request.

I will make sure I conform before posting another article. I get on average, 100 email notices every Day to read some article or another. That doesn't even include that number, and more, appearing in my FB News Feed. Reuters News alone has 98 notices in News Feed every Day.

In addition, I comment regularly in The Washington Post, The NYT, Raw Story, Truthdig, Briebart, The Jerusalem Post, Haaretz and many other online sites.
Tikno Added Sep 20, 2017 - 10:26pm
Dear Autumn Cote,
Good articles will attract comments. Good comments will attract discussion. Eventually, the content of a site will attract the attention of the visitor to interact within it, whether they are just regularly as silent readers / visitors  and/or registering himself on a site. I think that active silent readers / visitors (albeit not registered or commenting) are a lot more, and they are also assets for a site.

I like to visit WB to read, to enrich my insight, regardless of whether I will commenting or not.

I hope WB plays a role as a good media to channel the opinions, aspirations, intentions, or calls of the author to the world, to transcend the country's political border / barriers.
Wick Burner Added Sep 21, 2017 - 1:04am
Autumn, understood, and I am flexible enough to perhaps 'flip' my work method to fit the round hole a little easier...
Autumn Cote Added Sep 21, 2017 - 5:00am
Ray,
If you want your most recent submission to get my promotional services, I highly recommend commenting on the work of others now.

Tikno,
I respectfully disagree.  For this site to be successful, nobody needs to worry about the articles.  They will come and some will be good and some will be bad.  The key is making sure all authors receive comment activity.  I think it’s just as much fun commenting in a poorly written article as it is in a well-written article.

To all (especially Ray) another newbie in need of a comment:
opher goodwin Added Sep 21, 2017 - 9:04am
Autumn - I think WB works really well. The only problem I have is that it take up a lot of time which I should be using writing and editing my books. But I enjoy interacting here - especially with  the array of views.
opher goodwin Added Sep 21, 2017 - 9:06am
Autumn - I was only joking about the comment counting.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Sep 21, 2017 - 11:53am
Yawn. Let's just engage - or not.
Autumn Cote Added Sep 21, 2017 - 6:13pm
Ray,
Thanks for commenting on the works of others.  Here’s another newbie in need of a comment:

George N Romey Added Sep 23, 2017 - 3:59pm
I've thought long and hard about this. Good articles will get an adequate number of comments and even more if they actively participate in others' work. Jeff Jackson, Leroy and Ophier were just a few here that were instantaneous hits on WB.

However,  the bulk of the contributions on WB is being carried out by a relatively small number of members.  Even most first time writers that get a resounding first time response are never heard from again for every reason under the sun. So it becomes a numbers game to get a sufficient number of writers to stay and contribute as to make the site commercially viable. Now the question I cannot answer is where to find so many writers. Seems as though most blog sites have problems being monetarily viable albeit WB even with a smaller pool of authors and contributors blows those sites away.
Autumn Cote Added Sep 23, 2017 - 10:42pm
George,
Thanks for the compliment, but in what respect do you think Writer Beat blows other sites away?  Do you mean comment activity and debate?  If so, I’d like to take credit for that element of Writer Beat.  The reason is because I do everything in my power to reward authors that comment on the work of others with a readership.  Speaking of which, the following is a new author in need of a comment:

George N Romey Added Sep 24, 2017 - 10:14am
Autumn it's the quality and importance of articles. To make it here you won't posts articles about little kittens. I'm not sure if you set out to have a site that was more politically oriented or did it just evolve that way naturally. The quality of articles encourages comments. Let's face it an article that focuses on a banal topics will have limited response. Or articles that are cut and paste, written like a high school term paper or sheer rants.

WB is easy to use and find content. On sites like Medium you have little visibility unless you have an in with the editors and will only get a few comments at best.

Again why certain first time well received authors do not return is beyond me.

Stephen Hunter Added Sep 24, 2017 - 10:37am
I am just amazed Autumn at how you keep track of all of this. It is your sandbox and you can make and evolve the rules as you see fit.

I do agree about the commenting on the work of others rule. This is what really distinguishes this site and some incredible thoughts come out. Comments are better than the posts in many cases.

And because the rankings are done subjectively, I can see how that would frustrate an engineer. While i am sure your mind is sharp as a tack, you are human.
Lee Webster Added Sep 24, 2017 - 10:46am
Q: In what respect do you think Writer Beat blows other sites away?
A: The design structure is unique in offering a real-time visible ladder that is easy to see the most active posts and those that have gained the most interest while at the same time highlighting new posts for consideration of reading.  The search tool is also helpful.
Ray Joseph Cormier Added Sep 25, 2017 - 6:46am
Autumn, when I posted the article, 'A DAY IN THE LIFE' September 20th, I learned from you for the 1st Time one of your rules is, "You have not written a qualifying comment in someone else's article in more than two days."

Before posting 'I HAD A DREAM' yesterday, I thought I was following your wishes by commenting in Zachery d Taylor's 'Looming-North-Korea-Nuclear-Apocalypse-Result-of-Incompetence-Or-Staged'
The Day before that, I commented twice in Even a Broken Clock's article,'What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Obviously I was not following your rules exactly since 'A DAY IN THE LIFE' does not even appear in your Main Index, and I checked down to posting #551. Most viewers won't go that far with all the new articles.

The only way it could be seen is looking in 'by recommendations - by submission date,' and 'for the last 24 hours' where it is ranked #4.

Your requirement that we comment on other writer's articles is fair and reasonable. and I thought my comments were acceptable before posting my latest.
What, in your mind, disqualifies my comments on other's work, so that not only are you not promoting my latest article, but in effect, suppressing it?

Autumn Cote Added Sep 25, 2017 - 10:06am
George,
The reason new authors don’t return is because of my outreach methods.  You see, I spend the bulk of my time scouring the internet looking for authors willing to let me cross-post their work to Writer Beat.  Most are flattered by my compliments and say “ok to cross-post my article.” What they don’t realize is that I will create an account in their name and the only way to engage their commenters is to login to Writer Beat.  So it doesn’t surprise me that many choose not to participate. If you can think of a better way to grow this site, I’m listening.

Stephen,
What do you mean “because the rankings are done subjectively?”  Do you think I determine the order of the articles based on my subjective opinion?

Lee,
What do you mean by “the site highlight new posts for consideration of reading?”

Ray,
Your articles are exactly where they should be ranked based on the objective metrics by which all articles are ranked.  On a side note, over the past 36 hours you’ve written a grand total of three sentences in the comment thread of others.  While that level of activity doesn’t violate the rules, it certainly doesn’t make me want to help you or your articles out.  I would also add that your latest article is a formatting nightmare.  I’m sorry but I think I’ve lost my patience with you. I just don’t think Writer Beat is the right fit.  While I’ll do nothing to harm you so long as you follow the rules, I don’t think I’m going to help you, even if you did comment on the work of others.

To all,
Another newbie in need of a comment:
Ray Joseph Cormier Added Sep 25, 2017 - 12:21pm
Autumn, it's your site and I respect you will Administer it the way you want.

I posted I HAD A DREAM at 7:49 pm yesterday, and I do have to wonder the real reasons your new hard line, "On a side note, over the past 36 hours you’ve written a grand total of three sentences in the comment thread of others."

The Day before, 26 hours before my last post, I commented in another writer's forum with much more than 3 sentences:

"What an excellent synopsis written well, Clock. The link to billmoyers is real interesting to read with the Time Line it presents.

The more I see of Trump, the more it appears he has more characteristics and personality traits of the anti-Christ, than the Christ like figure his devoted Evangelical followers see in him. The Bible warns the Devil can appear as an Angel of Light!

Watching the election from CanaDa, I thought those supporting Trump were Nihilists, as CNN & MSNBC and other news media gave him $billions in Free Publicity, magnifying him in the Public Square.

It was good for Network ratings and revenue. It's almost too late for buyers remorse!

It seems to me Trump has been encouraging and indoctrinating his base to do this as you tell it like it is, "If an indictment does issue from Robert Mueller, and impeachment follows, the base of Donald Trump will not go gentle into that good night. Instead, they will rage, rage at the dying of the light."

It gave me no pleasure to see and say for many years, even before Trump appeared on the scene, watching the trend lines, the Time is coming when there will be a stream of Americans seeking Refugee Status in CanaDa to escape crazy, American style home grown terrorism. Americans have more guns in private hands than any Society on earth.

For now it's mostly Haitians seeking that Refugee Status, but later it will be Americans of all skin tones"

Now if typing those sentences violated any of your policies, please let me know?

I like Writer Beat, and I have shown good will in exchanges with all those who rejected and disparaged my experiences in Life. I'm unashamed to affirm my personal Faith in the Eternal, as all my comments are open for all to see, and judge for themselves.

I HAD A DREAM lays out in very clear Terms, some of what has contributed to my Faith and Trust in God growing these 42 years, even if others have not experienced every detail of MY Life and love to tear anyone expressing their Faith, down. I've encountered that here. Did I complain to you? Absolutely not!

Autumn be honest about it!
Since you are the one who contacted me to come to Writer Beat, I'd really like to know the real, basic, Truthful reasons that moved you to write to me, alone among all the other writers, and say, "I’m sorry but I think I’ve lost my patience with you. I just don’t think Writer Beat is the right fit.  While I’ll do nothing to harm you so long as you follow the rules, I don’t think I’m going to help you, even if you did comment on the work of others.  That's harsh! What is it about me  that has you so upset?

If you can't tell me the True reasons in this public forum, you can be blunt in an email. I've experienced a lot in my 74 years.

When I was arrested as an Alien in 1976 to be deported back to CanaDa, people I met in Kansas City put up the Bail to get me out of Jail.

As it turned out, someone I met was driving so Syracuse, N.Y., just a few hours from Home in Montreal. He had a spare ticket to see The Eagles, and we flew away right after the Show.

I stopped at the American side of the border and signed papers so my friends in Kansas City got the Bail money back.

I took it as a confirming sign, the Truth of this,
I have given them your word; and the world has hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
I pray not that you should take them out of the world, but that you should keep them from the evil.
They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. (ALIEN)
John 17

For the record, I don't believe in 'The Rapture' as it's taught as Doctrine by US Christian Fundamentalists. By the line above, in the Lord's other prayer, Christ doesn't believe in it either.
Autumn Cote Added Sep 25, 2017 - 1:37pm
Ray,
I saw your recent comment activity and decided to recommend your article and promote it to the email distribution list.  However, I still think it needs a lot of formatting work, which you can go back into and edit at any time. Our site makes the adding of images difficult but with a little effort you can fix all the issues.  I would simply put each image on its own row with white space above and below.

To all,
Another author in need of some feedback:
Ray Joseph Cormier Added Sep 25, 2017 - 1:59pm
Autumn, if it's only the position of the pictures that rattled you, I can fix that. I now know the way to edit and I'll do it now.

Recent Articles by Writers Autumn Cote follows.