Time to Rethink How We Honor Veterans

Twenty veterans per day commit suicide every day including Sunday and Holidays.   About 65% are older then 50.  Veterans are 20% more likely to commit suicide then non-veterans, and female veterans are 250% more likely to commit suicide then non-female veterans.   Maybe we should rethink the positions open to women in the military.   Eleven time the rate of female suicide to me is a clear indication that women are not the same as men.  Our biological roles in the human family are different and thus our minds are organized to perform those functions defined by gender.  This is common to all animals.

Comments

Benjamin Goldstein Added Sep 20, 2017 - 1:02pm
I'm not sure if the sucide rate is particularly high among veterans. A recent study that even suggests that they are more than 22 per day has the number down to 30 in 100,000 people. The general suicide rate is 14 per 100,000. However, the latter figure does sat the proportion to men and women. Almost all military veterans are men and almost all suiciders are men, too. If you adjust for it, there is no higher suicide rate.
Numbers from Wikipedia
Thomas Sutrina Added Sep 20, 2017 - 1:20pm
Suicide rate in America is 13.6%  for 98% of the population and 16.3% for the 2% of veterans.   Only 10% of solders see combate so the is suicide rate is 27.2% for them.   For female veterans it is 47.6% but they  represent a guess 0.01% that see combat.   I hope that I did the math correctly.  My calculations seem to make sense.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Sep 20, 2017 - 1:25pm
That can't be right. Maybe you mean 13.6 in one hundred thousand. So the differences are in the margin of error between veterans and non-veterans.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Sep 20, 2017 - 1:26pm
BTW with the adjustment. Your numbers meet mine.
Dino Manalis Added Sep 20, 2017 - 1:33pm
Our veterans should be respected and taken good care of, while their medical services should be paid by the Pentagon, because they deserve it, they're our heroes!
Melinda Pillsbury-Foster Added Sep 20, 2017 - 1:38pm
Hi Thomas.  I agree that the problem of suicide among veterans is devastating.  The cause of the problem is Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).  This is a neurological condition which can be alleviated in most individuals using Neurofeedback.  The Veterans Administration knows this and related, earlier versions of the therapy are in use in all of the military academies and for critical military personnel.  I researched this and wrote an article on it around 2007.
Incidentally, the first VA hospital was built with the $1,000,000.00 check donated for veterans by the International and Benevolent Order of Elks in 1918.
Withholding this treatment is part of a larger pattern followed by the VA.  This article has some of the background. I found this article first.  Thanks for pointing out this problem.
Thomas Sutrina Added Sep 20, 2017 - 3:36pm
They did say 13.6% per hundred thousand.  They have created a bastard percentage since the meaning of percent is clear for more then a century.  In real percent they then mean 0.0136%.  so correct answer is to take mine number and divide by 1000.
Melinda Pillsbury-Foster Added Sep 20, 2017 - 3:44pm
Thomas, Deep State lies about everything.  I call it Greedville and it has lots of other names - but it is crazy to expect them to tell the truth, right?  If the mouth is moving assume they are lying.
Thomas Sutrina Added Sep 20, 2017 - 3:44pm
Melinda, knowing something and actually correction the situation are two different things.  This shows that from men the percentage doubles and for women it is three time that of the general population.  The question again is should women be put in a combat situation.  We do know that the difference in strength for the present combat companies that operate under policies written for male strength reduce the capacity of the group.  So both the mental and physical differences need to examined outside of political influence.  We need to consider the our opponents will be using a male strength rule set.
Melinda Pillsbury-Foster Added Sep 20, 2017 - 5:24pm
Thomas, I do not think anyone should be drafted, male or female.  As to strength and other objective criteria let me root out an article I wrote on the subject in 2002, published in 2005.
Send in the Incredible Hulk: A Darwin Award for Government
John G Added Sep 20, 2017 - 7:02pm
The best way to honour veterans would be for the USA to renounce war and imperialism, bring all its troops home and give them jobs doing socially useful things. And any veterans that needed work too.
Thomas Sutrina Added Sep 20, 2017 - 7:44pm
Melinda, the draft came out of left field since we have not had a draft since Vietnam ended decades ago.  I will click on you articles and see if they come up but I can not once I started writing without loosing what I wrote.

John G. Chambers renounced war and Hitler kept going until until England had no choice.  John G. again you show shallowness.  If you are renouncing war then disband the military why make the social workers that they are not trained to do.
Thomas Sutrina Added Sep 20, 2017 - 7:50pm
Melinda read your article. You spend far more then once sentence on gender differences, worth reading.  Thankyou.
John G Added Sep 20, 2017 - 7:57pm
That's not English.
Melinda Pillsbury-Foster Added Sep 20, 2017 - 8:09pm
Hi John.  What are you talking about.  Use more words.
John G Added Sep 20, 2017 - 8:31pm
I was referring to Sutrina's gobbledegook response to me. It is unintelligible.
Melinda Pillsbury-Foster Added Sep 20, 2017 - 11:04pm
John, he probably does as well as he can. Perhaps he was distracted.
Katharine Otto Added Sep 20, 2017 - 11:06pm
Thomas,
I happen to agree with John G, this time.  The US is suicidal to continue with these insane wars all over the globe.  Then, once it has maimed, mutilated, killed and otherwise broken its own soldiers, it throws the survivors on the VA system to treat their PTSD and other injuries.  It gives token treatment--usually drugs--for PTSD.

No one in the psychiatric community has the guts to say that it's better to prevent PTSD than treat it.  In my opinion, PTSD is not a disorder.  It's a natural reaction to an unnatural situation.

It doesn't surprise me suicide is high among vets. Death by combat and death by suicide are equally fatal.

If we stopped the wars, gender in combat would not be an issue.
Thomas Sutrina Added Sep 21, 2017 - 8:25am
Katharine O., so let us think about what you and John think is correct about the wars.  Could we have stopped Hitler or the Japanese?   “Is it possible that 1.6 billion people (Muslims worldwide) should want to kill the rest of the world’s population—that is, 7 billion people—so that they themselves may live?” Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi asked in a speech 1/1/2015 Al-Azhar University in Cairo.  “We have to think hard about what we are facing,” he said. “It’s inconceivable that the thinking that we hold most sacred should cause the entire Islamic world to be a source of anxiety, danger, killing, and destruction for the rest of the world.”  He may think it is impossible but he may also be standing with a very small group.   Can we stop Islam that tells Muslims that the planet is Gods so go out and make it happen, not a request but a command.  Solders will reward you in heaven for doing so. But to be a solder of Islam was not an option for muslims or those that chose conversion over conversion by the sword.  They only delayed their death in most cases.  That may seem like a stupid line to us but it has worked since 720.  And there can only be one God's law, Sharia.  Written down by the followers of the Profit Muhammad that ran a government in the process of spreading the word by the sword in an endless state of war.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Sep 21, 2017 - 12:09pm
You can honor veterans by not producing new ones...
Katharine Otto Added Sep 21, 2017 - 12:10pm
Stone-Eater,
Exactly.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Sep 21, 2017 - 12:16pm
Thomas

This is bullshit. Either you know it or you're just a nuthead.

1. The quran is a matter of interpretation. As your bible is, in fact.

2. Do you KNOW any Muslims ? If not, you better just shut up.

When you give me proof that you have lived in a Muslim country and have seen behind the scenes of all (as you probably don't have on Christianity as well) you're welcome to discuss more.

You see why atheists may be more tolerant than any believers ? Because we SEE the human being first and THEN discuss religions or philosophies. We don't have prejudices against ANY religion. How could we, since we don't believe ?

We simply are against religion in general. And the reasons are posts like you just delivered ;-)

Think.
Katharine Otto Added Sep 21, 2017 - 12:16pm
Thomas,
Hitler is dead.  So is Osama bin Laden.  It takes at least two to fight, and it's not my job to stop Islam or communism.  If you want to stop Islam, use your own money.  The people who fund the wars do not fight the wars.  I choose neither to fund nor fight other people's battles.  I would prefer to use our human capital to restore America's flagging self-worth.  Perpetual war is only defeating us.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Sep 21, 2017 - 12:21pm
BTW:

When "Christians" would not have interfered in the business of Muslim countries in the ME for economic reasons there would be no problem. Hail the conquerors.

It's a never ending circle of cruades. Muslim - Christian - Muslim.

All for MONEY and power. Get that ? The rest is fucking blather !
Thomas Sutrina Added Sep 21, 2017 - 1:05pm
Katharine O.  I see you agree with Chamberlin.  How did his capitulation to Hitler turn out?

Katharine O. and Stone EF, I know you would say Stone, "This is bullshit. Either you know it or you're just a nuthead.  1. The Quran is a matter of interpretation. As your bible is, in fact.  2. Do you KNOW any Muslims ? If not, you better just shut up."  Stone, I presented the history of Islam.  I let Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi present a more religions statement.  So please direct that part of your response on the Quran to him.  That is why I quoted a Muslim that is the leader in a Muslim nation.

Yes I worked with Muslims over the years.  I have never said that the individual Muslims want to sacrifice their lives for their leaders.  I said that they will not be given a choice by the pressure from the religions and society.  This also happens in Christian countries.  WWII is an example.

An example that they do not have a choice is presented in the TV movie of a boy that was assigned to be fodder during the Iran Iraq war.  He parents did not agree with the edict of the state and helped him escaped.  The rest of the story shows his character.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Sep 21, 2017 - 1:30pm
Thomas

Fair enough, but:

There is no pressure from religion in most Muslim countries, except the US ally Saudi Arabia is most restrictive. Not in Iran, not in Senegal, not in Iraq. The pressure comes from poverty and war in those countries, which is born out of economic interests. There, religion is for many a last resort, and they become fanatics only for the reason that the only thing is "god" they can hope for and hang on.

When the same situation turns up in Christian countries, there won't be a difference.

It's simple.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Sep 21, 2017 - 1:34pm
BTW

Got a link to that movie ? Where and who produced it ?
Katharine Otto Added Sep 21, 2017 - 1:35pm
Thomas,
I do my own thinking, so I don't "agree" with a man I never met or heard of.  Who is Chamberlain?  Is he pertinent to the discussion about veterans?  You don't help your case by pigeonholing me.

You don't blame individual Muslims, but these are the people most hurt by our wars.  This is the "collateral damage" the increasingly suicidal US "troops" are forced cause.  How is that any different from the Islamic state's homicidal intent towards those who practice other religions?  No wonder they see the West as evil. The US needs to look in the mirror to find the terrorists.
Katharine Otto Added Sep 21, 2017 - 1:36pm
Stone-Eater,
If that's what atheism is, sign me up.
John G Added Sep 21, 2017 - 3:36pm
Sutrina thinks Glenn Beck is the messiah.
Full on nut job.
It's an indictment on the USA that people actually believe this stuff.
But if you give the military the power to propagandise that' what you'll get.
Genocidal nut jobs like Sutrina.
Melinda Pillsbury-Foster Added Sep 21, 2017 - 4:27pm
Response to John G.  Glenn Beck appears to be a disinformation insertion.  I began wondering about this when he suddenly appeared on patriot sites.
Insertion agents generally follow a 80/20 pattern for repeating what is agreed on generally, 80%, and 20% for disinformation.  The persona Beck presents is kindly and good-hearted.  He never comes across as angry, arrogant or crazy, as far as I have seen.  This would make him an exemplary disinformation agent.

What is your background, John?
John G Added Sep 21, 2017 - 5:00pm
Alex Jones is also a disinformation agent over on that side of the plantation.
Melinda Pillsbury-Foster Added Sep 21, 2017 - 5:40pm
Hi John, that is not news to me.  I was a radio Talk Show Host on Ron Paul Revolution Radio when Jones's engineer, also the engineer for Ron Paul Revolution Radio, removed the software needed to keep the show on the air.  He then did the same with We The People Radio.  Alex Jones does not want competition.
Thomas Sutrina Added Sep 21, 2017 - 5:53pm
Katharine O., Prime Minster Chamberlain of England before 1939.  He did not last long after the invasion of Poland.

Stone  the move title is "American Wrestler: The Wizard"  2016 movie.  You forget that Isis kills more Muslims then christians.  Want to get someone to join you as they have done for centuries threaten the family members with jail or death.  Islam is a totalitarian style government.  That is known to happen in that type of country christian religion, no religion, or muslim religion.   So the requirement Stone is a Muslim country without an elected government.  Turkey up until a few years ago is the only one that existed from about 1920 to about 2015.  Before that the remains of the Ottomans had a christian holocaust.

Sutrina thinks Glenn Beck is the messiah.  He is Mormon like Romney but actually practices it.  I do not think Mormon's think there are a limited number of spaces in heaven.  You and me I am sure are not getting one.

John G. seem like you have to put your foot in your mouth weekly.  He you go again "Genocidal nut jobs like Sutrina."  I congratulate you on your ability to be consistent in that.

Melinda Pillsbury-Foster Added Sep 21, 2017 - 6:12pm
Back to the original question, John, what is your background?  Naturally, you do not need to answer but your bio shows you are affiliated with, or at least have placed the logo for BDSMOVEMENT.NET there.  The URL registration is, for Registrant Contact, Administration and Tech:
Name: Direct Privacy
Organization: Domain Name Proxy Service, Inc Privacy ID# 13523338
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 6592, Metairie LA 70009 US
Phone: +1.5043550082

No names of individuals appear on the site.  Contact is by form, both for the public and for the media.

You could be a real sympathizer and not really involved but none of your articles are on the issues.  This could be caution due to the volatile nature of the issues related to Israel and Palestine or it could be a disinformation placement.  The first article you posted on this site, Apr 24, 2017 - 4:34am, was on Alex Jones.

It was a short article. "Made you all believe that the Federal Reserve system is a privately owned bank that lends the US government money to spend.
It is utter nonsense.
What privately owned company would have its chairman and ceo appointed by the executive, return all it's 'profits' to the Treasury and be subject to the will of the Secretary of the Treasury.
Of course the Fed is NOT a private bank. It is an agency of the federal government.
In this day and age of electronic money it should be a small office within the Treasury.
The Fed is just a big spreadsheet after all."

Your other articles build an understanding of monetary exchange which is disingenuous.

The subject of the site is Palestine.   This text appears on the site.

"This website is maintained by the Palestinian BDS National Committee (BNC), the coalition of Palestinian organisations that leads and supports the BDS movement and by the Palestinian Campaign for Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel (PACBI), a BNC member organisation."

This could be caution due to the volatile nature of the issues related to Israel and Palestine or it could be a disinformation placement.  I know personally that those sympathetic to the plight of the Palestinians are threatened.
Any comments?

John G Added Sep 21, 2017 - 6:40pm
Why is it disingenuous?
I'm sympathetic to the Palestinian cause but I'm not actively involved anymore.
I am an antizionist not only because of Palestine. I oppose all forms of racism and class war. Zionism is both. It is a cancer on the world of people.
Melinda Pillsbury-Foster Added Sep 21, 2017 - 6:41pm
Now, John, since you are not involved with Palestine tell us about yourself.
John G Added Sep 21, 2017 - 7:20pm
Tell me about 'disingenuous'.
I don't think much of anecdotal evidence, usually it is used to cover for a lack of reasoned argument, so my background is largely irrelevant to anything much being discussed here.

John G Added Sep 21, 2017 - 7:21pm
John, since you are not involved with Palestine
It doesn't actually reduce the danger. These zionists are fanatics.
Melinda Pillsbury-Foster Added Sep 21, 2017 - 8:01pm
John,  these conflicts as anything but more wag the dog.  People dying, starving, being thrown out of their homes, children being shot, is just part of the game for the elites.  Children are being taught to hate and kill by the elites as part of the disinformation play they are putting on.  The elites are not even ideological.  For them, this is just a business expense.  More coming on the issue of anecdotal evidence.
John G Added Sep 21, 2017 - 8:07pm
I'm still perplexed by this little stab. What do you mean?
Melinda Pillsbury-Foster Added Sep 21, 2017 - 8:19pm
John, I do not agree with you.  Who each of us is allows others to understand motives and can act as validation for what we say, especially when sources are not cited.
Who we are always matters because then listeners know if we were eyewitnesses, participants, or just read something about the subject under discussion.

I use stories about my experiences because what we do and the choices we make tell those with whom we are talking or corresponding, about ourselves and our values.

For instance, if you listen to the Weaselsearch Tape, made by my biological daughter, Morgan,  in 1999 to persuade me John Fund, who I considered an old friend, was lying to me, you hear evidence he had lied to me the previous March when I called him to ascertain if he was, in fact, in a relationship with Morgan.  The Tape
Morgan knew I was pro-life and would be shocked to learn she had aborted the child resulting from their relationship. She also knew I would be outraged at having been lied to by John and she wanted me to continue to subsidize her, as I had for most of her life.
At the time, I was facing the aftermath of a heart attack and also was caring for my son, who had suffered a second Traumatic Brain Injury as a result of a suicide attempt.  Medical records are available.  I am still Arthur's caretaker today.
I did not trust Morgan.  During my then recent divorce I had found out, through discovery, she was being paid by my former husband, $5,000 a month, to destroy my reputation with my friends and associates.  Ask and I will provide documentation for these statements.
I was forced to start providing evidence because of the techniques used by disinformation agents.
We know nothing about you, John.  What motive could you have to conceal your identify?  Concealment through constructed personas is one means used to direct dialog, inject disinformation and waste people's time.  When I see this as a possibility I ask questions.

Melinda Pillsbury-Foster Added Sep 21, 2017 - 8:22pm
John, my curiosity has been piqued.  The FED is a private corporation and this is well known and easily researched.  So what are you about?
John G Added Sep 21, 2017 - 8:31pm
If you do a google search you will get tens of thousands of hits that will agree with you for sure.
But what you won't get is a single one that can offer any empirical evidence or show why the Federal Reserve Act doesn't operate the way it is written.
Or indeed why would a private corporation want to be the central bank in a modern monetary system.
The claims all rest on the benefit of some super powers that the Fed simply doesn't have and all depend on a false understanding of how modern state currency works.
So unless you have some other evidence that I haven't seen (and I've been hearing this nonsense since the early 80s) I call bollocks on your 'easily researched and proven' claim.
Show me the money.
John G Added Sep 21, 2017 - 8:37pm
Revealing my identity would add nothing to the logic of my argument/s.
There are some serious right wing nut jobs on this site who have a visceral hatred of the left.
Just living in NZ brings out childish racist abuse from a number of the crazier fascists that post here.
Melinda Pillsbury-Foster Added Sep 21, 2017 - 8:54pm
John, Congress allowed the FED to be started but the FED operates like a private corporation.  The same is true for the energy resources paid for by Americans through taxation which is transferred to corporations.  Additionally, such entities are immunized from liability for causing damage, even when this is caused by their failure to maintain their own infrastructure.
This pattern repeats throughout what George and others call Deep State.
Where does government stop and elite private corporations begin?  No one can tell anymore  The formal name for this is Fascism.
What has the impact been on the earned value in savings for ordinary people?
Inflation Calculator
Note that the cost of anything, calculated in gold has been stable since the Roman Empire.

I do not think you are a Marxist, wish I did.  Now I have to go care for my son.  You have a pleasant evening.  See you tomorrow for more fun and frolic.
John G Added Sep 21, 2017 - 9:18pm
Does it?
I'm curious to know what you think the Fed does.
Energy corporations are public corporations in the main aren't they?
(Federal) taxes don't pay for anything.
Yes. But this is irrelevant to your Fed theories.
I'm well aware of what fascism is. And yes, the corporations and money powers have captured the state.
But that's an inevitable consequence of capitalism.
But in terms of the monetary system it is fairly easily separated when you understand how the payments system works.
That's where you all fall over. None of you understand the actual nuts and bolts of the system.
If you did you wouldn't be carrying on wasting your time railing at the damned private fed.

Thomas Sutrina Added Sep 21, 2017 - 9:23pm
Great discussion and obviously nothing to do with the initial article.  If you want to know about me try USPO with my name as inventor.  Now you can get back to Days of Our Lives.
Stephen Hunter Added Sep 22, 2017 - 9:04am
Thomas, I do totally agree with the after effects of those in combat. My father was in WW2, and he was part of the allied invading forces at D Day, landing in Normandy. He made it all the way to Holland as part of the Canadian forces that liberated that country from the Nazis.
Many of my relatives tell me he was never the same after spending over four years in the war.
No more WAR!
Katharine Otto Added Sep 22, 2017 - 11:46am
Melinda,
Sock it to 'em.  You ask good questions, and I admire your spunk.  Our friend John G is quick to tell us all we are wrong, but he doesn't tell us what is right. What is the Fed, anyway, and why is it so influential? The whole world seems to ride on what the Fed might do at its next meeting.  You mentioned Ron Paul, who was ignored to death in his bid to audit the Fed, or his bid for a "free competition in coinage act," I believe it was called.  This is off the subject of this thread, but for the fact that war has contributed more to national debt than any other one thing.

I suggest The Creature from Jekyll Island, by G. Edward Griffin, for insight into how the Fed was created, a history of banking, and money itself.

According to Griffin, the Federal Reserve Act was instigated by a banking cartel, primarily JP Morgan, who wanted to protect British investors in in the upcoming WWI.   It was a ruse to get the US invested in the allies' side in the war.

I'm also interested in your 80%/20% statistics about disinformation mongers.
Simply Jews Added Sep 22, 2017 - 1:40pm
Thomas, it is indeed the disturbing issue. Veterans, no matter what are the rights or wrongs of those who sent them to fight, should be helped in any way possible. To derail the subject to the issues of the governments' misdeeds is to ignore and besmirch their suffering and heroism.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Sep 22, 2017 - 3:16pm
Katharine

Stone-Eater,
If that's what atheism is, sign me up.

I did :-) Thanks for joining LOL
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Sep 22, 2017 - 3:28pm
Katharine

I can't judge it as good as you and John can. being a European. But from what I know I think that the FED as a private entity can never work for the good of a whole society. I'm neither a neoliberal nor a communist but a simple social democrat, a term which, in the US, probably Bernie would have been qualified as, until he fell "in the arms of Malice".

I have lots of sympathies for all countries who defend themselves against the moloch of "Western democracy" forced upon them - because it's not democracy.

Be it Ecuador, Bolivia, Cuba, Venezuela, Burkina Faso, Kenia, Ukraine.....in the very distance the FED plays a role. Why did they found BRICS and the AIIB ? Not by mistake.
John G Added Sep 22, 2017 - 4:14pm
That's a falsehood. I do answer your questions. You just don't like the answers because they don't conform to your conspiracy theory.
I suggest The Creature from Jekyll Island, by G. Edward Griffin, for insight into how the Fed was created, a history of banking, and money itself.
Griffin's wafflings on money are fantasy. It really is a comic book.
John G Added Sep 22, 2017 - 4:18pm
SEF. But from what I know I think that the FED as a private entity can never work for the good of a whole society
Relax, the Fed is part of the Federal government. There are no privately owned central banks anymore.
In a modern monetary system it just doesn't make sense.
Central banks are really just glorified accountants operating the spreadsheet of Treasury and commercial banking operations and interactions.
In and of themselves they have very little power. The legislatures have the real power of spending and taxation.
Melinda Pillsbury-Foster Added Sep 22, 2017 - 6:34pm
Hi Thomas, I found this.

United States Patent
name="h1" id="h1">4,611,137

Sutrina
September 9, 1986

Cooling of dynamoelectric machines

Abstract
Windage losses due to coolant flowing to the air gap 24 of a dynamoelectric machine having a stator 10 and a rotor 18 are avoided by providing the end faces 28, 30 of the rotor 18 with radially inwardly opening grooves 38 which receive pitot pumps 40. The grooves 38 collect coolant under the influence of centrifugal force and the pitot pumps 40 collect coolant from the associated groove 38 to convey the same to a pressure pump 31.

Another patent comes up and you are named as earlier art.  Is this correct?
Melinda Pillsbury-Foster Added Sep 22, 2017 - 6:39pm
Hi Katherine, while I was researching disinformation operations, sites, agents online and on the ground, and the variations, I noticed that the 20/80 percentages for disinformation and real news reoccurred over and over again.  It was a smallish sampling but helped me recognize the characteristics.  I was doing the research from 2005 - 2008.
Tikno Added Sep 23, 2017 - 10:29am
I was impressed that this could happen in wealthy country like America.
Thomas Sutrina Added Sep 23, 2017 - 10:41am
Melinda PF., I am or was an inventor for hire by trade.  I have about 3 dozen US patents with a wide range: ziploc extrusion process, measure inside shoes for manufacturing, and breast pump are the only ones that make money other are: lint brush, heat exchangers, generator systems, vacuum cleaner, torpedo engine, semiconductor packaging, & device to get proper mix of liquid dish soap.

You were correct when you said that is the best he can do in writing.  I am hired to do the above that takes research and critical thinking.  I hope that I have shown critical thinking in my writing here, get through the sloppy and flat writing style.
Ari Silverstein Added Sep 24, 2017 - 7:21am
This article has nothing to do with how we honor veterans.  As for the high suicide rates among female veterans, what do you propose we do?
Thomas Sutrina Added Sep 24, 2017 - 8:59am
I appears that Pres. Trump on the VA is not just talk.  The VA must offer and deliver services.  Also their are private groups of veterans that have found for them alternative solutions and those we can support and suggest they go out a see if their solution works for women.  Keep on our congressmen to make sure VA actually performs.
Stephen Hunter Added Sep 24, 2017 - 10:06am
Thomas you are absolutely correct in the fact that men and women are wired differently due to evolution. Women's role has been to propagate the species. In a nutshell they care(and fret) about the little things much more than men.
Melinda Pillsbury-Foster Added Sep 24, 2017 - 5:16pm
Ari, the article is exactly on point for how we honor veterans.  Honoring vets means ensuring the promises make to them are kept.  I could write volumes on how we have dishonored these promises but I will limit this to one instance I wrote for another project.  The point of this proposal was for Veterans Housing and other benefits the VA works to evade providing.

Life for an American Veteran – When Hope Turns to Ashes.

Richard had been homeless since September 2015. He had a VA ID card which he used for medical treatment at the VA. On multiple occasions he asked if they had any openings in the homeless program.

The answer was always the same; “We are all booked up and there is a waiting line to get in.”
In early December Richard got a different response. He was told they could put his name into a slot for the program. What would that slot do for him, he asked?

Richard was told the VA would provide him with housing, clothes, food, training and OR education and transportation if needed through the use of a Bus Pass. It was like he had won the lottery. Richard’s face lit up and he began signing papers. While he was signing they even mentioned getting him a haircut.

After everything was signed and papers carefully stapled together for Richard’s packet, Richard was then told that he was no longer be considered homeless. With the signing of the papers he was listed as being trained or being sent back to school to get the education needed for him to have a productive life.

As the person behind the desk stood up to shake Richard’s hand, Richard was told to return about Mid-June 2016 when the slot will open.

With a sinking hert Richard asked what do I do in the meantime?

Richard did not know the reality he faced. The VA routinely puts up to 5 people in the same slot, just like Richard. Over-booking airline seats is the closest equivilent. But that does not usually kill you.

In six months most Veterans cannot appear to receive the promised help because most will either have given up and moved elsewhere, been picked up for vagrancy by the police, been in trouble for sleeping in a public place, or for taking food from a dumpster. Many take their own lives during this period.

The VA understands all too well one Veteran may survive long enough to get into the program. If two Veterans make it…one is told to come back in another 90 days.

But the VA is off the hook. This is how the program is designed to 'work.'

How this connects to energy and the environment.

Every Veteran today was serving to carry out a mission on behalf of the oil industry. Every one of the Veterans who come home with injuries, PTSD, or other problems was serving in the Oil Wars, intended to ensure the future supply of oil to these companies. Many young people sign up because jobs have disappeared overseas. Thanks Bill and Hillary for that. Thank the Bush Administration for lying us into those wars.

It was all about oil, the energy supply which destroyed the lives of tens of thousands of military and Veterans while they trusted their commanders and our government, keeping the oaths they had made.

John G Added Sep 24, 2017 - 5:52pm
MPF, you forget illicit drugs, weapons and people trafficking.
Melinda Pillsbury-Foster Added Sep 24, 2017 - 6:08pm
G, Vets are always more grateful than the general population because they have been trained to be obedient to authority unto death.  My friend, Phil, has been helping veterans who are on the street since the Vietnam Corporate Insertion.  No government money and few donations.  He has paid for housing veterans on his own dime with the help of veterans he saved from the street and starvation.  There are many people like Phil.  But that does not make up for the calloused lack of honor shown by our government.

Phil started the original Veterans Party in 2003.  We started talking after I launched the Draft Norman for President Campaign in 2004.  He contacted me to ask if the Veterans Party could take it over and I thought that was a great idea.  Unfortunately, Schwarzkopf could not accept the draft because Bush had paid him $500,000 not to become involved in politics.
The Veterans Party was destroyed in 2006 by a disinformation agent, connected to the same group, neocons, who paid for the Swift Boating of Kerry.  I warned Phil but he did not believe it could happen.
And I did not forget other topics I just did not bring them up.  By the way, what are you doing to help those who have been the victims of corporate-government corruption?
Thomas Sutrina Added Sep 24, 2017 - 6:22pm
John G.  back this statement up with facts  including citations,"And yet customer satisfaction is far higher for the VA than private health insurance."  Otherwise your blowing out hot air.  The only question is from which orifice?  And I will consider comparing VA to and government program like ACA, Medicaid, active military care, and Medicare is not an acceptable comparison.  I want it to the quasi free market we had before 2010.
John G Added Sep 24, 2017 - 6:41pm
MPF So your claim is that vets are lying to the pollsters?
The VA doesn't bankrupt people like insurance companies do.
Not sure what your anecdote is trying to demonstrate.
Not here to blow my own trumpet, thanks. I'm quite comfortable with my contribution without climbing over others.
John G Added Sep 24, 2017 - 6:44pm
If the VA has to ration treatment, that is down to the Congress that is underfunding it.
Katharine Otto Added Sep 24, 2017 - 8:33pm
Melinda,
The VA in Tuscaloosa, AL sits on a huge piece of beautiful real estate, but it provides no housing, nor inpatient treatment for substance abuse.  It pays the Salvation Army for that.

The vets I've dealt with--mostly from Vietnam--consistently say they want to support the troops, but they think the wars are wrong.  I wish more would say this, and louder, but you are right.  They are too respectful (afraid) of authority to rock the boat.

Congress needs to shift ifs focus from creating more war casualties to caring for the ones it has already broken, and their families, who are most burdened by the care.

I have a bumper sticker, which I had printed, using my own money, that says "Support Our Troops.  Bring them Home."  I've sent many to people in Congress and various others, and I sold a bunch of them at cost to the local "Veterans for Peace" group.

It amazes me that so few people make the connection between the stupidity of current wars and our slipshod treatment of veterans.  The VAs wouldn't be so burdened if we quit creating more work for them.

Melinda Pillsbury-Foster Added Sep 24, 2017 - 10:17pm
G, you are persuading me you really are a disinformation agent.  Occam's Razor.  No one could assert the opinions you hold and also say they care about veterans or the others who have been consistently defrauded, abused, and impoverished by both corporations and government.

Melinda Pillsbury-Foster Added Sep 24, 2017 - 10:22pm
Katherine, the calloused manipulation of the emotions and goodness of Americans needs to be spoken.  Many veterans are now speaking out, for instance Veterans for Peace.
It takes courage to speak out when so many families still cling to the illusion the one they lost died for their country and not for corporate profits.   Thanks for the comment.
John G Added Sep 24, 2017 - 10:54pm
No one could assert the opinions you hold and also say they care about veteran
What? Because saying the VA is more popular than private insurers doesn't fit your agenda makes me a disinformation agent?
It doesn't mean its good.
Because I don't believe your Fed is a private bank conspiracy theory (disinformation) I can't be antiWar?
What sort of pathetic leap of logic is that?
Occam's Razor is for simpletons.
Melinda Pillsbury-Foster Added Sep 24, 2017 - 11:12pm
No, you are for simpletons.  Occam's Razor, G
John G Added Sep 24, 2017 - 11:15pm
So you can't back up your accusations with any reasoning?
Libertarians eh?
Love to condescend, can't argue honestly.
Melinda Pillsbury-Foster Added Sep 24, 2017 - 11:34pm
No, you have proven your own intellectual dishonesty.  Bye!
John G Added Sep 24, 2017 - 11:42pm
But you can't give your reasoning.
And who could you imagine that I'm disinforming for, pray tell?
John G Added Sep 25, 2017 - 3:12am
Thomas Sutrina Added Sep 25, 2017 - 9:09am
John G. you have not backed up the  "VA is more popular than private insurers" with citations as I asked.  You blowing air out your ass.  I can not remember anything you say backed up by anything other then your own opinion which means most is just you blow our air.  Want to be believed that at least you can find a Modern Liberal to back you up: CNN, MSNBC, New York Times.  They have not a gold standard of journalism and to swim occasionally in the swamp but at least it shows effort.

Want to end the wars.  I agree only it part because the objective is to win and that seems to never be the objective since Korea.  Modern Liberal  do not get it from both parties, statist.   Islamic Caliphates and Communists are brothers until the quasi democracies are dead then they will fight each other as the Fascist fought the Communist/Socialist before WWII.
Melinda Pillsbury-Foster Added Sep 25, 2017 - 2:40pm
Well said!
John G Added Sep 25, 2017 - 6:43pm
You['re going to have to learn to write in English before I take anything you want seriously, Sutrina.
You are not just an extremist, right wing, racist, genocidal loon. You are also unintelligible.
Melinda Pillsbury-Foster Added Sep 25, 2017 - 7:11pm
Thomas does a good job and can think.  No one else seems to have trouble understanding him.
John G Added Sep 25, 2017 - 11:26pm
Good for you Lady Narcissist. Maybe it's because I'm not an extreme right wing American exceptionalist? Nor one that wants to kill a quarter of the world's population?
John G Added Sep 26, 2017 - 3:40am

USG: "Who are you?"
FR: "We are the private banking corporation called the Federal Reserve! We have come to seize total control over all money! Bwahahahaha!"
USG: "Oh, no! Help! Somebody help!"

FR: "Bwahahaha! Scream all you want. We're miles from where anyone can hear you! Now, hand over all control of money to us immediately!"
USG: "We can't do anything but obey such a powerful organisation that just materialised out of nowhere. Here's the Federal Reserve Act. We submit."
FR: "Bwahahaha-HA! Our plan to rule the world is almost complete. We now have the sole authority to create an infinite amount of money out of thin air. But at the same time, we need an income because this conspiracy is really dumb. So, here is what we will do. We will lend you some of our private Federal Reserve Notes, then you will spend them. Soon, everyone in the country will only have Federal Reserve money! Bwahahaha! Next, you will tax people and collect Federal Reserve money from them and use our money to pay us interest! Then... let's see... Uh... Then, we will hand over all of our profits minus expenses to the US Treasury. Now, agree with our demands or you will die! Bwahahaha!"
USG: "Sounds like a very odd business model for a private bank, but ok. You win. We are powerless."
FR: "Bwahahaha! Our plan is complete! Now, we shall rule the world! Bwahahaha!"
USG: "O! Woe is me! What shall become of us?"
Thomas Sutrina Added Sep 26, 2017 - 8:37am
I have not been commenting on the Federal Reserve because I haven't figured how it relates to how we should treat veterans.   And government is paying for so many other things that the VA is a foot note expense.  The only reason it is relevant is the death of people wait for health care.  That is not a foot note.
John G Added Sep 26, 2017 - 4:45pm
Because if you don't understand the monetary system, your entire view of the world is skewed. Neither of you have a clue.
The government does not get its money from the private sector. Taxation does not fund government spending.
Melinda Pillsbury-Foster Added Sep 26, 2017 - 6:29pm
G,  Your assertion is intentionally insulting and unwarranted.  You have been wasting the time of others, including myself, who are serious about dialog.

I have a suggestion to other writers on this site.  G posted one of his insulting and irrelevant comments a few minutes ago and I Xed it.  I will do the same any time he posts another such comment.  It it happens after that I will X any comment from him thereafter.  If this descent to personal insults and nasty language is unacceptable to you, do that same.
John G Added Sep 26, 2017 - 7:36pm
What assertion?
You've been calling me a disinformation agent from the get go.
Goose/gander.
Thomas Sutrina Added Sep 26, 2017 - 8:45pm
John G. so how does the Federal Reserve relate to the treatment of veterans?   And I do not what hot air I want you to give a citation that backs up your answer.  I have no idea if your giving us disinformation without looking for someone that states the same thing.  That I feel is your responsibility to us you readers.   You disrespect us by not doing any leg work.
John G Added Sep 27, 2017 - 1:08am
Taxes do not pay for federal spending Sutrina. Your whole argument is based on a false premise.
Government spending provides the currency that pays the taxes.
It is logically the only way it can happen.
Thomas Sutrina Added Sep 27, 2017 - 9:36am
wake up John  the nightmare is real  GOVERNMENTS COLLECT TAXES AND THEN SPEND THAT MONEY AND MORE WHICH IS PAID BY FUTURE TAXES OR THE TAX OF INFLATION.

Currency is a tool for the exchange of goods and services.
John G Added Sep 27, 2017 - 4:50pm
Are you saying that the private sector creates the $US that pay the taxes?
That would be counterfeiting.
Try again.
Melinda Pillsbury-Foster Added Sep 27, 2017 - 5:19pm
G, government does not have the power to issue paper money, only the right to, according to the Constitution, ARTICLE I, SECTION 8, CLAUSE 5 - "The Congress shall have Power To...coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin...."
The metal in coins has objective value.  This is why the price of an item is the same as it was in 1913 if you calculate it in gold or silver.
Banks issued their own paper currency, for which they had to honor.  Sometimes banks failed, but this was rare.   Then the elite did their song and dance, paid off congresspersons , and did what criminals always do......stole the value of our money through the Federal Reserve.  Thomas, can you X this guy?

John G Added Sep 27, 2017 - 7:50pm
Thomas, can you X this guy?
No honest poster would run around the board begging for others censorship, you nasty piece of work.
You don't know what you are talking about. You've been conned.
Libertarians and their utter hypocrisy.
John G Added Sep 27, 2017 - 8:06pm
And btw, you still haven't told me what you think the Fed does.
For someone so opinionated and loud, there's not much flesh to your 'arguments' is there?

Melinda Pillsbury-Foster Added Sep 27, 2017 - 9:14pm
Wrong G., you repeat yourself, assert your unsupported opinions as fact, jeer, and obfuscate. You discourage dialog on the facts and never, never suggest any solutions.  You validate a system which is stealing without conscience from people around the world for the enrichment of a few who, ultimately, will be in the same boat.  And you know perfectly well they also expect a meltdown.  The difference is they can afford luxury accommodations.
Billionaire Bunkers: Exclusive Look Inside the World's Largest Planned Doomsday Escape
A lot of money if this was just a whim.  No one prepares for an event they do not think very possible.  Too bad we can't get a list of those who have signed up.
John G Added Sep 27, 2017 - 11:21pm
You validate a system
Not at all. Your assumptions and binary thinking retard your viewing capacity.
I'm not validating corporatism in the slightest.
You are, perhaps unwittingly, playing into their hands by misdirecting people.
I'll ask you (yet) again, what do you think the Fed does?

John G Added Sep 27, 2017 - 11:23pm
And by the way, only cowards delete posts from their articles.
You can't be very sure of your theories if you have to censor the responses.
John G Added Sep 27, 2017 - 11:24pm
You discourage dialog on the facts and never, never suggest any solutions.
Your facts are wrong and your misconceptions are getting in the way of solutions.
That's why they peddle the Fed conspiracy theory that you've swallowed.
Congress has the power of the US$ at its command. Not the Fed.

Recent Articles by Writers Thomas Sutrina follows.