Learning to be Like Jesus

In another WB article, John Guzlowski asked “are there actual behaviors that are required of a Christian?” I’ll duck the “required” part, leaving that to God, but I am certain there are behaviors that demonstrate one definitely is a Christian.

Although most people miss it, Jesus modeled those behaviors for us as follows:

He spoke to blind eyes and they opened–spoke to deaf ears and they heard,--spoke to the lame and they walked--spoke to diseases and they left--spoke to storms and they quieted.–spoke over food and it multiplied. But, most of all He spoke to demonic powers and they released people.

Along with behavior that is unique to Jesus, is His explanation of the purpose of His behaviors as well as the mechanics of His behaviors. He announced His purpose was demonstrating the power of God over the powers of the rulers of the darkness of this world. As to the mechanics, in Mark 11:22 Jesus explained: “Have faith in God! I can guarantee this truth: “This is what will be done for someone who doesn't doubt but believes what he says , will happen.”

As I wrote in a companion  article, (Wait in the City Until Endued With Power), the disciples waited in Jerusalem until the promised power came on them. They went out, manifesting the behaviors of Jesus, awing the world. However, sometime around the fourth century the Church lost its way and the behaviors began to disappear, After that, the majority of Christians sit like horses still waiting at the starting gate.

Very recently, the behaviors of Jesus are reemerging. Even some people are able to demonstrate them at high levels, healing the sick, casting out demons etc. etc. Others, and I include myself, are more like the TV series I followed. In it, a youth discovered a superman suit he could put on and demonstrate Superman’s powers–leaping tall buildings–moving at high speeds.

The only problem was in the beginning he couldn’t master it. So he would go to leap a ten story building and crash into the fifth floor. Or speed at break neck velocity only to slam into a telephone post. The good news was after much practice, he began to get the hang of it.

If a person wants to be like Jesus, he needs to wait in the city to get the power. (See my article WB Stay in the City Until Endued With Power). It also helps to understand what Paul wrote. “We are not fighting against people made of flesh and blood, but with persons without bodies–the evil rulers of the unseen world, those mighty satanic beings and great evil princes who rule this world and against huge numbers of wicked spirits in the spirit world.” (Eph 6:24 The Book translation)

I won’t speak of the missions of other religions, However for sure, the Christian church is the only system which has demonstrated it can identify and has as its mission to destroy the works of evil in the spiritual realm. Like OO7, it has been sanctioned to destroy. Unfortunately, over the years, the Church has invented many behaviors which look good on the surface but don’t come close to the behaviors Jesus modeled for us.

Comments

opher goodwin Added Oct 9, 2017 - 2:47pm
I've already got my robe on and my sandals and I'm doing my best to get my skin dark.
Michael Cikraji Added Oct 9, 2017 - 3:02pm
Hey Don!
This article is cool. I think we should look at Jesus the way he modeled things for us too:
I think if Jesus came back tomorrow he'd throw a giant keg party! And he'd bring tacos! I don't know if he'd bring weed, but he'd probably be smoking some, he'd probably be like this:
Cool Jesus
Given his control over nature, I bet he could create great lighting shows in the sky, great dancing water illuminations!
If he got in a bad mood, after too much beer and all, maybe he'd start screaming and tearing stuff up. Maybe killing a couple people, and bringing them back to life, but saying "just kidding!"
Anyway, he'd be a trip for a good party.

opher goodwin Added Oct 9, 2017 - 3:32pm
Michael - I'm beginning to like him already!
Michael Cikraji Added Oct 9, 2017 - 4:06pm
Opher,
Yea, he could throw a great party! So much so he made it into the Muslim faith too!
Lady Sekhmetnakt Added Oct 9, 2017 - 7:01pm
I think if you want to be more like Jesus you should do as Pope Pies XIII in the show The Young Pope. Drop all the mercy and tolerance crap and bring back the Iron fist of the church. Who cares about being loved or popular, being feared brings respect, and puts evil on notice.

And yes this was sarcasm. Much like the article itself I would hope.
Flying Junior Added Oct 10, 2017 - 1:59am
You remind me a great deal of Jesus, Don.  Maybe in your own way, you are a modern-day prophet.
Flying Junior Added Oct 10, 2017 - 2:34am
Okay, Don.  You have always treated me fairly, sometimes when I didn't deserve it.  I'll give you a considered response.

One interpretation of Christianity that always made a lot of sense to me was that as Christians, we become the hands of God.  It is up to us to perform God's work.

We will never be able to scratch up some clay and mix it with our spit to restore sight to a blind person.  We will never raise someone from the dead.  I'm not really confident that we can heal the sick with nothing but faith.

What we can do is minister to the sick.  Feed the hungry.  Care for those in prison.  Comfort the dying.  Provided for the necessities of the displaced.  We give of ourselves in Christ-like compassion.

I can't claim to really be living this completely myself.  But I know people who do just this.

It's okay that you believe in miracles performed by the apostles and the believers in the early church.  But I wouldn't suggest just waiting around for Christ to grant you the power.  There is much that can be done just as ordinary human beings.

That's what God's work is all about.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Oct 10, 2017 - 11:01am
I saw Jesus yesterday at the central station. He was singing, wore a white tablecloth and leather sandals. Later a cop said he was picked up and brought to a mental ward for further checkups ;-)
Don Added Oct 10, 2017 - 1:37pm
Thanks Flying Junior however, there are people who are doing what Jesus did, including myself. So far no raising the dead nor multiplying food, or walking on water, but, all the main things Jesus did, I have done. However the superman in the red suit is autobiographical in that though I have had enough experience at leaping tall buildings, I have also slammed into the side of some while I am learning.
The reason I write what I do and court ridicule, is I am convinced that if people describe Christians’ work the way you did above, they will never put in the effort to learn to do things Jesus’ way. The old, tired church laying burdens on people is dying fast. It is in the new developing world that the people are doing all the things Jesus did and more. Those churches are exploding.
If you are truly interested you might want to watch sidroth.org with an open mind. I don’t know about you but something that has helped me is when I run across something that spiritually means something to someone, if I can’t find a place to put it, I put it on a back burner and then ask God if it is real, show it to me some day.
opher goodwin Added Oct 10, 2017 - 2:54pm
Michael - I know and he was a Jew - that's the full set!
Lynn Johnson Added Oct 10, 2017 - 3:48pm
As a Christian, I rather like Junior's description of Christians at work; with the understanding that "works" do not lead to salvation but rather are a sign of Christ within us.

James spoke of faith and works...

James 2:14-19 (NIV) What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? 15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. 18 But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. 19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that — and shudder.
John G Added Oct 10, 2017 - 6:31pm
All these Christians whose main character trait is hatred of others.
I'm with Gandhi when it comes to christians.
Michael Cikraji Added Oct 11, 2017 - 8:45am
Jeez,
I'm tired of people turning Jesus into a weapon! It's all peace and love, until the minister needs to get more cash for a Cadillac or yacht. Then it's all fire and brimstone!
Jesus was about love, tolerance and forgiveness. And he loved to throw a great party! His blood was wine! How cool was that!? You all want to make him into some boring Sunday morning snoozefest.... he'd be so disappointed in you... I'll pray for you all today.
John G Added Oct 11, 2017 - 11:57pm
It wasn't Jesus that wanted to kill socialists and Muslims like you and your christofascist friends here do.
That was Hitler, numb nuts.
Lynn Johnson Added Oct 12, 2017 - 10:29am
At the risk of breaking Jesus' warning found in Matthew 7:6 (Pearls before Swine)

I did enjoy the post Don, and thought I'd offer a more detailed response from a fellow Christian.

First, I would like to address the original question posed by John G.  To attain the status of Christian (belonging to His Church) I believe the following are the minimum actions required:

Hear the gospel
Believe that Jesus is a) The Messiah b) The Son of God
Come to understand that you fall short (are a sinner) and know that Christ came to this Earth to remedy that fact because he was the only One who could
Know that what God has done for you through His Son is a gift and not something you can ever attain on your own.
Confess (express) your faith/belief publicly
Be baptized into Christ for the remission of sins.
Hold on to (and act on) that faith for the remainder of your life (run the good race).

After that... you're a Christian.  It is then that these truths should guide and reinforce your behavior (knowing you will sometimes fail).  But again, I believe that the above is the minimum one must do to call himself a Christian.  And I know that even within the vast Christian community; there is debate and disagreement on what the above entails.

>> but I am certain there are behaviors that demonstrate one definitely is a Christian.

Well said here.  If you are living the same life you lived before becoming a Christian then something is wrong. John 13:34-35 (Love is Proof)

Our behavior is not a means to an end.  We are not trying to be “good enough” to get into heaven because we have heard and believe it is not humanly possible.  What the world sees is behavior resulting from the list already having been checked (Hear, believe, accept the gift); behaviors demonstrating the faith is within us.

>> Jesus modeled those behaviors for us as follows:

Again, right on the money.  Jesus did indeed intend for us to emulate his example... again knowing that we would often fail but commanded to get back up and try again.

I personally think this message is more towards his love and compassion for others than towards his performing miracles.  In essence, He has entrusted each of us with talents (as in ancient coins) and expects us to use/invest them wisely until His return. Matthew 25:14-30 (Parable of the Talents)

>> ...the majority of Christians sit like horses still waiting at the starting gate.

Very true... and Jesus warned us Christians about this.
Matthew 7:21-23 (True and False Disciples)
Revelation 3:15-16 (Lukewarm Christians)

>> Others, and I include myself, are more like the TV series I followed. [Learning to use Superman suit]

I like the analogy.  The show was called The Greatest American Hero by the way. :)

Following Christ is like a long race of endurance (as Paul put it).  During our lives, we should grow in our faith (able to leap larger and larger buildings).  I've often said, "If you’re not moving forward (in relation to your faith), you're sliding backward".  If you're the same Christian being you were a year ago... you're not moving forward.

And like all personal growth; it is often spurred through troubles and adversity.  We learn to praise the Lord through the good times and bad.

>> [on dark forces and the Christian Church]

When it comes to the dark spiritual forces... I am more of the opinion that they manifest their control through worldly power and influence.  They know it is in their (and their masters') best interest that they stay hidden and convince the world they don't exist.  I'm not saying it never happens, but I think it is rare to see one literally possessed.

If anything, we may each have a scenario as depicted in The Screwtape Letters :)
&nbs