My Final Writer Beat Article

This is the 85th article on Writer Beat and my final one; I cannot believe that it has come down to it. It is also hard to believe that 3 years have passed by. When I had written my first Writer Beat in 2013, I was scared because I had started writing non-fiction at this site and expressing my personal opinion without shame. I had carried that shame a decade ago when I had responded to my local newspaper for expressing my opinion at the time for when Rush Limbaugh was hired as a Sportscaster for Monday Night Football when it had aired on ABC before it moved to ESPN.

I had felt that Mr. Limbaugh’s history of racism would make the NFL look back. I had written my response and people who supported Limbaugh had said that I was wrong and should be slapped. That scared me and stopped writing my opinion responding to a news story. Eventually, The NFL fired Limbaugh for his comments toward former NFL player Donovan McNabb that was racist. At that time, George W. Bush was in office and I stayed quiet. When Barack Obama became President, it had encouraged me to express my opinion without shame.

It felt good to express my opinion and not care what people think and being on Writer Beat has given me that opportunity for that.  Being here has also made me realize that I must always do research and know what I am talking about because the writer in me is helping me to remain honest about my opinion on what is happening in the world today.  I admit being passionate, but I am not ashamed of that. You have to love what you do, even it isn’t for money.

I want to write for my last article on Writer Beat is what I feel about our world today. First and foremost, all of us should give our prayers to the victims of the tragedy in Las Vegas that occurred on October 2, 2017 including those in Puerto Rico who are still dealing with the devastation from Hurricane Maria. It doesn’t matter where a person lives at on our planet, suffering has no monopoly on race, gender, religion, or political/personal beliefs, sexual preference, and our blood bleeds the same color which is red.

I am reminded of what I had learned 12 years ago; I was in a program that I had hated and the instructor who I didn’t like either had taught the class and myself a valuable lesson which I haven’t forgotten. He had said what is our connection to a child in Africa who is starving and suffering? That child can is either a boy or girl.  My daughter was just born and I had just become a father. I said that that child is every one of us and that if we had a child, we definitely would take care of him or her without hesitation. That child is related to us or not because it is our personal, moral, and godly responsibility to help that child.  I don’t remember everyone’s reaction to my answer; it has stuck with me all of these years.

As I conclude with my final article, I want to say is that I am thankful for the support and encouragement of Autumn Cote, the founder of this site who have constantly encouraged me to respond to other people’s articles when they respond to mine. Thank you to my supporters who have responded to my  articles and pressed me to continue to keep telling the truth when it isn’t acceptable especially in this political and social climate in our nation, and to those who disagree with me who have given me a reason to hold on and maintain my point of view, thank you.

Right now in America; our nation is at a crossroads. We just had the Presidency of Barak H. Obama who was President for 8 years who challenged us to be open to new ideas because our nation is behind technology wise and socially. The current President is the opposite of what Obama represented. His actions and ideas are what causes a nation to stagnate. Him and his followers are concerned about maintaining past glories than moving forward. Our past was associated with keeping those back socially, economically, and politically due to their skin color, religion, ethnicity, gender, and sexual preference. We as a nation cannot afford to go back to the “good old days” because it has hurt our nation in the past and the repercussions still hurt.

Now other nations are ahead of America and we have become the laughing stock globally. Don’t like what I am saying? It’s the truth! Some of you are content with remaining focus on Sports and other activities and the status quo more than looking at what’s happening to our nation. 50 years ago, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. warned America about the society we have become in a Speech that stated why he was against the war in Vietnam. The parallels between 1967 and today aren’t a coincidence. Want to say that I am lying? Read Dr. King’s speech in its’ entirely. He had said this speech a year before his untimely death. The name of the speech is called Beyond Vietnam: A time to break silence.”

Next year will also be the 50th anniversary of the 1968 Olympics when Tommie Smith and Dr. John Carlos had raised their fists that have become both famous and historical. They responded to the lack of Black Assistant coaches, a lack of good public housing, black children not being allowed to go to college, and for Muhammad Ali who was stripped of his championship title because he refused to go to Vietnam. For those who are angry that Black athletes shouldn’t say anything while being athletic, there is always a time to say something!

Dr. Carlos had responded to Trump’s recent comments towards NFL Players, especially Colin Kaepernick. Dr. Carlos is in support of Mr. Kaepernick and here is what he had to say from a recent interview on CNN:

“I would like to see your discharge papers from the military. You waving the patriotic flag, show me when you was on the front lines. Show me when your dad was on the front lines. Show me when your kids was on the front line. I can show you mine. I'd like to see you go full circle and say, 'Hey, other than me waving the flag and talking about whether individuals are standing or sitting for the national anthem...Show me your true patriotism."

To my fellow Americans: we can either move forward or stagnate and die. That choice is ours and we can only blame ourselves for making the wrong choices. This is officially my last article; I have decided to move forward and be the person I am supposed to become. Writing here has helped with that. I will respond to other member’s articles before I leave here. No more articles for me. Before I conclude, here is a statement from Mr. Carlos on his official website for you to read for yourself and thank you.

Comments

opher goodwin Added Oct 10, 2017 - 3:57pm
All the best for the future.
John G Added Oct 10, 2017 - 4:03pm
The current President is the opposite of what Obama represented.
Nope. Obama was just a brand. They are both just figureheads of the corporate security state and its empire of death and destruction.
If anything Obama was worse because his manufactured persona fooled the liberal class into sleep.
The list of Obama's achievements for capital is long. His list of progressive achievements is 0.
The Conservative Mind Added Oct 10, 2017 - 4:28pm
I come from a different side I suspect of most things. I am a conservative, and feel the term racist leaves people's lips much too easily. For me, the worst calamity facing America is kids killing kids, that followed by the loss of civility. Both of these rarely make the back page of newspapers, when they get mentioned at all. The NFL players taking a knew certainly don't seem to care. That is not to say none do, some players have and are doing good work on that front.
Even if you agree with the belief that police brutality is rampant, giving a middle finger to country, and many of your fans, is a stupid way of protesting it. Their actions overshadow the point being made, and reduces it to irrelevance. It was seen as divisive, disrespectful and as having no place in football game. One can disagree that people should feel that way, but can't disagree with the fact they do. Once it became apparent the message was being lost, continuing it only seem to indicate the middle finger to America and patriotic fans was what was meant all along.
As far as inspiration, it is not Martin Luther Kings warnings, but his dream that inspires me. Judging people by their character, and people living, eating, and playing together without regard to skin color. I have lived in both Europe and Africa, and can honestly say Americans of all colors have more in common than people in either place.
Take care, and hope you find a place to express yourself. Writing can be therapeutic, and lets you get your feelings out. The best writing, also challenges you to dig deep into your soul. I hope you find a place to write, and time to grow.

Jeffry Gilbert Added Oct 10, 2017 - 5:43pm
C-YA wouldn't wanna BE Ya.
Thomas Sutrina Added Oct 10, 2017 - 10:14pm
This is the 500th anniversary of Martin Luther's  putting out an invitation for a debate.  He listed 95 things he wanted to discussed on the subject of: Disputation on the Power of Indulgences.  That was 1517.  He had no intention of creating a new religions but to deal with the actions of the Catholic Church.  The church was part of government.  A government much like the present American and European that had a large bureaucracy and regulations and lead by a small group of people.   This was the start of the era of enlightenment.   American colonies filtered to collect liberals we call classic liberals today.  Martin Luther would recognize and agree with these words in the Declaration of Independence: "When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation."  Martin Luther created a new church and a 100 year war occurred in Europe.

Martin Luther as well as his name sake Dr. Martin Luther King  discovered that God is within man.  You can hear this is every statement of Dr. King.   Those marchers that followed King believed in, "Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect."   Dr. Martin Luther King did not believe in the underlying principle of Democratic Socialism, (modern liberalism) fairness defined as equal outcome because not mentioned but implied 'for a class.'  Dr. Martin Luther King clearly said equal opportunity, in a world without classes.

Gregory if you leave us with just this understanding of Dr. Martin Luther King. then we will have had a discussion that was fruitful.
John G Added Oct 10, 2017 - 10:17pm
Yes he did. He was an avowed socialist.
Thomas Sutrina Added Oct 10, 2017 - 10:45pm
Dr. King wanted to retain the black city ghettos, Jim Crow Laws and the KKK control of the south?  I do not think so.  He could not have it both ways.  So as a Democrat he did not believe in the foundation of the party that created the ghettos.   He may have said he was a Democrat because blacks voted Democratic since 1936.  But he expected the party to change.  As Obama said transform the party and the country.
Gregory S. McNeill Added Oct 11, 2017 - 12:00am
Thomas, you are 100 percent wrong! Dr. King was advocating for a change in the social conditions of African Americans that still exist today. You should watch the film King: From Montgomery to Memphis. Dr. King is speaking in his own words.
Gregory S. McNeill Added Oct 11, 2017 - 12:03am
John G, Dr. King wasn't a socialist. He was a student of Gandhi and believed in the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Gregory S. McNeill Added Oct 11, 2017 - 12:17am
Jeffrey Kelly Added Oct 11, 2017 - 12:51am
Goodbye and good luck.  I'm sorry we didn't correspond more.
John G Added Oct 11, 2017 - 1:15am
John G, Dr. King wasn't a socialist.
Yes he was.
Obama represents the best of our nation.
Obama is an empty shell. An advertising campaign.
If he's the best of America then you're in worse shape than I thought. A child killing, mass murdering war criminal and a tool of Wall St.
You Dems are as sick as the Repugs.
Jeffry Gilbert Added Oct 11, 2017 - 1:37am
Obama is an empty shell. An advertising campaign.
If he's the best of America then you're in worse shape than I thought

Indeed!

John G Added Oct 11, 2017 - 2:48am
Flying Junior Added Oct 11, 2017 - 3:05am
Farewell, Friend.
Gregory S. McNeill Added Oct 11, 2017 - 4:20am
You are wrong John G. Trump represents the worse of our nation. His base is made up of racist white men. You are blind John G.
George N Romey Added Oct 11, 2017 - 6:47am
Obama is nothing more than Trump with some spit and polish. They are both shrills for the Goldman Sachs crowd.
Leroy Added Oct 11, 2017 - 7:43am
"And John G, Obama represents the best of our nation. Trump is the opposite. Trump is a racist, sexist, and a bully. "

Trump was the answer of 8 years of abuse by O.  Trump would have never been elected without such a corrupt predecessor.
Thomas Sutrina Added Oct 11, 2017 - 8:13am
Gregory, I actually said this also, "Dr. King was advocating for a change in the social conditions of African Americans that still exist today."
What does this say about the Democratic Party of 1960's? "Dr. King wanted to retain the black city ghettos, Jim Crow Laws and the KKK control of the south?  I do not think so. "

What does this say about him and the marchers? "Those marchers that followed King believed in, "Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect."   Dr. Martin Luther King did not believe in the underlying principle of Democratic Socialism, (modern liberalism) fairness defined as equal outcome because not mentioned but implied 'for a class.'  Dr. Martin Luther King clearly said equal opportunity, in a world without classes. "
Benjamin Goldstein Added Oct 11, 2017 - 1:26pm
I'm a bit lost here. Dr King was a Republican priest and not a Democrat. He was a conservative.

McNeill: So you stop writing because your candidate lost the election? I will never understand liberal logic, but I really, really wish you all the best for the future.

...and don't you forget to come back!
Donna Added Oct 11, 2017 - 2:41pm
Gregory,
I have liked your articles. You are a good writer, and will be missed. Best of luck in all you do. )0(
Lady Sekhmetnakt Added Oct 11, 2017 - 5:03pm
Obama, Hillary, Trump, all are servants of Wall Street and the 1%. All espousing classist, racist, neoliberal and neocon policies. I once thought Obama was different, but his actions speak most loudly and they are of a warmongering war criminal. Hillary was exposed as a complete racist liar and two-faced bloodthirsty psychopath. As bad as Trump is he's a lot better than the nightmare Hillary would have been. Those are just the facts, I speek the truth for those who are prepared to hear it. The rest will continue to deceive themselves and isolate in their bubbles. As for me I put my childish illusions behind me and woke up.
John G Added Oct 11, 2017 - 5:36pm
I'm not blind, buddy. I don['t like Trump and his supporters are unsavoury to say the least.
But it appears that you are blind to the evils of the Democratic Party.
Dr. King certainly wasn't. He saw the liberal class for what it really was. The enablers of ruling class rapaciousness and violence against coloured and all poor people.
The right hate liberals for all the wrong reasons. But the liberals are contemptible, stand for nothing, toadies of the ruling class masquerading as progressives.
wsucram15 Added Oct 11, 2017 - 7:29pm
Gregory..I dont want you to go..having conflict when you write is part of writing now, especially if you are not a white man.  No offense to white men who just do not understand this.
Now on MLKjr..he fought for the rights of the Black American..but also the poor in any culture because he felt they were forgotten.
In speaking to Harry Belafonte for the last time ...Martin Luther King Jr said.."“I’ve come upon something that disturbs me deeply,” he said. “We have fought hard and long for integration, as I believe we should have, and I know that we will win. But I’ve come to believe we’re integrating into a burning house.”
“I’m afraid that America may be losing what moral vision she may have had,” he answered. “And I’m afraid that even as we integrate, we are walking into a place that does not understand that this nation needs to be deeply concerned with the plight of the poor and disenfranchised. Until we commit ourselves to ensuring that the underclass is given justice and opportunity, we will continue to perpetuate the anger and violence that tears at the soul of this nation.”
“I fear, I am integrating my people into a burning house.”
Rev Martin Luther King Jr.

Something he saw, before his death in 1968 that is still prevalent today that many people still cant or wont see..
Sad times we live in..

Gregory S. McNeill Added Oct 11, 2017 - 8:45pm
Thank you Donna for your kind words.
Gregory S. McNeill Added Oct 11, 2017 - 8:48pm
Benjamin Goldstein,
I am not quitting because Hillary lost, I am leaving here because people like you fail to realize that Donald Trump is giving people like you false promises and people like yourself will have your hearts broken when Trump shows his true colors to you. Trump has no vision for this country and America is already stagnating because of him.
You are supporting a man who has given White Supremacist groups license to be hateful and attack those who aren't white. That is the bottom line Benjamin Goldstein.
Gregory S. McNeill Added Oct 11, 2017 - 8:49pm
Thank you wsucram15.
America is about to go through hell because of Trump. He has isolated us from the world and America is going to pay the price for it. This nation's lack of openness to new opportunities and jobs will hurt America in the end plus not willing to deal with the issue of Race.
Gregory S. McNeill Added Oct 11, 2017 - 8:51pm
Thomas,
Have you read ANY of Dr. King's speeches? I suggest you do so! Why don't you check out a link and see for yourself.
Gregory S. McNeill Added Oct 11, 2017 - 8:54pm
Thomas, conservatives like you have distorted Dr. King's words. Read his speeches in their entirely!
wsucram15 Added Oct 11, 2017 - 10:00pm
Gregory..You MUST be willing to deal with these issues.   If you do not and like many walk away from the ignorant and actually sometimes truthfully unknowing, how can any battle (which we have) or even a discussion be won?

I dont like this battle either..I despise it, but I fight it all the time...in fact I just had a huge fight with my daughter no less over first the reason for the civil war, then the damn statues from the Jim Crow era everyone is fighting about, that arent even historical statues at all.

Now there are some that are, and should be put into museums or even left where they are for the historical significance (age).   However, statues more significant than Arthur Ashe should be erected in the place of others taken down that will be agreed upon or none at all.  Neutrality is nice.

Please dont stop the fight...its very important.
wsucram15 Added Oct 11, 2017 - 10:03pm
Also one more thing Gregory..you MUST ALSO LEARN, to ignore those people who shout out words of wisdom in ignorance.  Think about it..you will understand.
Gregory S. McNeill Added Oct 12, 2017 - 6:26am
I agree with you. I have been there. Our nation is at a crossroads and it can no longer afford to ignore issues of race because we are living in a new century and must deal with issues that must be addressed. Right now in America, the leader of this nation is a 71 year old white male who refuses to change. That mentality will hurt this nation in the long run. You have to also think about that too.

Leroy Added Oct 12, 2017 - 7:09am
"Right now in America, the leader of this nation is a 71 year old white male who refuses to change. That mentality will hurt this nation in the long run. You have to also think about that too."

Refuses to change?  The man was neither Republican nor Democratic nor Conservative.  He molded himself into a Republican conservative.  I call that change.  He was one of the first to open his golf courses to all people.  Whether it was because it was the right thing to do or because it was good business is debatable.  As my parents used to say, "We can't afford to be racists."  As a president, he cannot afford to be racist.  Many believe, like you, by virtue of being conservative makes one a racist.  It is not true.  By believing the Constitution means what it says makes one a racist.  You see a racist behind every tree.  It simply isn't so.  You are chasing shadows.
Leroy Added Oct 12, 2017 - 7:16am
I wish that you would continue to write here.  We need the diversity of opinion.  We need diversity of writers.  But, I understand.  It is like liberal talk shows.  The can't stand the light of logic.  Continually on the wrong side of logic can be stressful.  Perhaps you even feel inadequate on this site and believe you can't compete.  Perhaps you feel your message isn't important.  Maybe the challenges are too great.  Whatever your reasons, good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Thomas Sutrina Added Oct 12, 2017 - 8:39am
Gregory,  I lived through the period.  I was in HS when both pres. Kennedy and King were murdered.  You only had to watch the new hear the marchers, the filled mall and hear the speeches.  To know absolutely what the movement and King was about.  It is not BLM [stand up do not shoot, that never happened] or NFL take a knee or Obama, Sharpton, or Holder.  We both know what King would have said to Michael Brown.

So do not dump the crap on me.  We both know this is true, Dr. Martin Luther King clearly said equal opportunity, in a world without classes.  Yes, he did focus on the poor but he know welfare was not the solution also.
wsucram15 Added Oct 12, 2017 - 9:48am
Gregory.. I understand that, which is why people like you who can still speak to people like me..must do so.
Understand?
Autumn Cote Added Oct 12, 2017 - 10:23am
If not Writer Beat, where else will you go to share what's on your mind?
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Oct 12, 2017 - 11:24am
Gregory

Stay around. Read my last article. Soup isn't eaten as hot as it's prepared :-)

I have decided to move forward and be the person I am supposed to become

You can't DECIDE how you will become. That comes naturally. If not, it would be Disney ;-)
Neil Lock Added Oct 12, 2017 - 11:39am
Gregory: I have a different skin colour from yours, and I'm on the east side of the pond. You have 85 headposts on this site, and are going out; I have two, and I'm just coming in.

But I hope you'll agree with one of my maxims: It isn't who you are that matters, it's what you do.

I wish you the best with whatever you decide to do next.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Oct 12, 2017 - 11:49am
Neil

...welcome :-)
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Oct 12, 2017 - 11:50am
BTW Gregory

Who cares about skin color anyway ?
wsucram15 Added Oct 12, 2017 - 12:21pm
Gregory..read my article.  Its important for this, stop listening to the narrative. Stop listening and watch what actually happens. This is the fight.   Im there fighting...work with me.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Oct 12, 2017 - 1:15pm
Jeanne

Still the old hippie LOL
wsucram15 Added Oct 12, 2017 - 1:58pm
Im of punk mentality..you are the hippie...all peace and love. I love my life...I fight whats wrong.   Hippies fight also, but do so with flowers in the end of guns.  Also Hippies get less press.
I fight with a somewhat different strategy, its effective in as much as I network and I have some press help on occasion.  Media is a must today.
But no matter how you fight back..it has to be done in numbers.
You ol' hippie.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Oct 12, 2017 - 2:02pm
Gregory: I think you have a depression. It is sad that you feel grievance over the outcome of the 2016 general election. Cases like yourself are the reason why CNN, ABC, NYT, WaPo etc must go down in flames or stop their hate speech against conservatives. Nobody goes after you. It's fear-mongering. Whatever you do, don't waste your life with radical groups. I wish you all the best.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Oct 12, 2017 - 3:34pm
Jeanne

I'm a hippie AND a punk, a so-called gender-neutral existence in that respect LOL. But both are ONE in fact. Why ?

Because BOTH didn't agree with was going on - but expressed it differently. But at the bottom both said:

Enuff of that shit ! We want to be human !
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Oct 12, 2017 - 3:39pm
Gregory

One last thought: Since you're a Black guy: Come to Africa once. You'd be surprised how people there have mercy with Black Americans. They all would be ready to get you back to the roots you've been forced to lose. And stand proud in the US. Because YOUR heritage has more depth then the one of the European settlers who either were losers in Europe or religious fanatics we didn't have use for ;-)

No insult, by the way.
Leroy Added Oct 12, 2017 - 6:32pm
You're two for two today, Stoney.  He's Indian too.  Well, half Indian.
wsucram15 Added Oct 12, 2017 - 9:30pm
A hippie and a punk..at war with yourself much SEF?
LOL..
I guess we all are conflicted in one way or another or we would not be here writing about it..right?
Gregory..see?  We are all problematic.  Its human nature for other people to be assholes and some not to be.   Those  of us that are not, have to learn to watchfully ignore those that are.  Follow?

Leroy..Hi, and you are doing very well.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Oct 13, 2017 - 4:30pm
A hippie and a punk..at war with yourself much SEF?

Nope. Both had the same idea: Fuck the system LOL
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Oct 13, 2017 - 4:32pm
Leroy

That's ok. What kind of Indian ? Indian Indian or Indian ? ;-)
Leroy Added Oct 13, 2017 - 5:07pm
As Tom would say, Feathers, not dot.  In the other case, dot, not feathers.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Oct 13, 2017 - 5:25pm
Which Tom ? Dots can't fly, and a bird without feathers can't as well. Hmm.....maybe that's too DEEP for my little uncheesy Swiss brain LOL
Leroy Added Oct 13, 2017 - 6:23pm
Mr. Purcell.  Native Americans are associated with feathers in their headdress.  People from India, particularly women, are associated with red dots on their forehead.
Leroy Added Oct 13, 2017 - 6:25pm
I should add that one Indian male associated the red dot with a record button because India women are apparently able to record everything you ever said and play it back to you.
Gregory S. McNeill Added Oct 13, 2017 - 8:51pm
Stone Eater,
I plan on visiting African someday. Africans and African Americans have issues due to the legacy of Slavery. That is a fact. And Leroy, I mean by the people who have lived in the Americas long before Columbus.
Jeffry Gilbert Added Oct 13, 2017 - 8:56pm
The red dot is a point to aim at when their husbands are gesturing while saying "you're so fuckin' ugly". That's what I've been told anyway.
Edgeucation Newmedia Added Oct 13, 2017 - 9:15pm
I am new to this site but I am sad to see you go because I think you are a good writer and the world needs more good writers.
Ari Silverstein Added Oct 16, 2017 - 2:40pm
This is the third time you’ve written an article announcing your intention to leave this site.  It’s also another "article" in a long list of worthless articles submitted by you.  For example, you wrote like ten articles announcing new articles were coming soon.  So please stay gone this time.
Colettebytes Added Oct 16, 2017 - 4:21pm
Gregory, I am new here so don't know your work, but I wish you well in whatever you decide to do. Good luck!

I may not stay here either, but not because I am incapable of engaging in the conversation...but because I don't like the conversation here. Most of it is destructive, shallow, breast beating. I'm sure you can find better things to do Gregory... As can I.

I hope you find a peaceful place in your world where you can be yourself.

Recent Articles by Writers Gregory S. McNeill follows.