DNA and Original Sin

About something he wrote, St Paul once said: “I have no command from the LORD, but I give a judgement.” So, I am taking that caveat for this article as I wade out over my head.

In a discussion of what Christians believe, someone on WB wrote a list but ended with one thing he could not believe. That was that he was guilty of a sin committed millenniums ago (Rom. 5:12, original sin).

Actually though, we are the first generation that could believe in original sin–DNA research. Though controversial, some scientists believe we carry ancient memories in our DNA.

Now back to original sin. There does seem to be glitches in humans (and even in the other elohim) that provokes rebellion. I ask myself is that rebellion in our DNA, and passed on generation to generation?

Have you any teenagers in your family or friends with teenagers? I did. Up to puberty, they were precious and then overnight they turned into monsters. I loved them with all my heart and tried to persuade them that everything I did was for their best interest. But they would have none of it. Overnight I had become the enemy. (Later of course, they got over it.)

So I ask myself, is the Heavenly Father’s experience like mine? Half the elohim in Heaven turned on Him. According to Scripture, our seed carries rebellion.

One thing I do know is that when I got the full outpouring of the Holy Spirit, something lifted off me like a band around my head and overnight I no longer felt paranoid about my Heavenly Father. I actually felt the paranoia physically leave me. So, I have decided that what happened to me is what the Bible means by “being cleansed from unrighteousness.”

Then I began to meditate on what Heaven would be like for the Father if it were inhabited by paranoid teenagers.

Comments

Autumn Cote Added Oct 19, 2017 - 9:20pm
Please note, the second best way to draw more attention to your work is to comment on the work of others (something you haven’t done in more than three days). I know this to be true because if you do, I'll do everything in my power to draw more attention to your articles (there is a lot I can do and would like to do on your behalf).  Below is a few articles whose authors are deserving of more comment activity:

Dino Manalis Added Oct 20, 2017 - 8:37am
DNA is important, sometimes it can be avoided with proper treatment, but often it can't be avoided, we're all humans with human weaknesses who constantly need good morals and values to keep us on  the right path.
Autumn Cote Added Oct 20, 2017 - 8:38am
Dino,
Do you ever read the articles or are all of your comments, similar to this one, only a product of the title of the article.
Even A Broken Clock Added Oct 20, 2017 - 9:28am
Don, I have been interested in DNA and it's effect on behavior and indeed, life properties itself for a long time. Though the effect of DNA is profound, the effect of environment is also very strong. But there is no doubt that some folks, even given a loving family and strong role models, something deep inside of them can make them rebel against family and society.

My concern is that with the modern world, with so many distractions, our species will not form a common vision of what is moral and decent.
Don Added Oct 20, 2017 - 9:45am
Autumn, Thanks.  Looks like Dino did not read the article and Broken Clock did not read the title.
Gone Away Added Oct 20, 2017 - 10:43am
Actually Don, I think that all scientific knowledge can find some basic starting places in our religious beliefs...after all they came first. We have a tendency (as humans) to explain our physical reality with a hypothesis that is formed by our brain (and hence our DNA). How we reflect that hypothesis, (religion, science, politics, business, and so on), is probably the activity that gives us the most grief, and the most joy, depending on our own mood.

Is DNA and original sin related? Good question. Deepak Chopra wrote a book years ago called quantum healing. He hypothesised that our individual cells all hold memory (not just our brain). And indeed I think this has distinct possibility. It certainly explains a pain that remains despite its cause being removed.

I believe (and am working on the idea because I have no scientific proof) that our DNA from our parents also brings experiential memories from ancestors. How else could we be born with unexplainable phobias, or memories of people we could never have met.

I once dreamt that I died. I went to a place where all my dead relatives greeted me. One of them was holding a tiny baby in a long white gown. I knew this baby to belong to my Grandma (in the dream) but I didn't understand. Both of my grandmother's children were still alive (at the time). I dismissed the dream. It was 25 years later, when researching genealogy that I found that my grandparents had a baby boy who died in the same three month period. It was the time, post world war one, when Spanish Flu wiped a lot of the population. The record showed that the baby's name was 'Peter,' the same as in my dream. What it didn't show was that he had red hair and very pale skin. Now, how could I possibly know that? My mother didn't know. Baby Peter had never been mentioned, ever.
DNA memory is there...I'm sure of it!
Don Added Oct 20, 2017 - 12:10pm
Collettesbytes thanks for such a thoughtful response.  You and I are on the same wave link. I hope to hear more from you. Also thanks for letting me know you actually understood.  So many responses to what I write on WB are disappointing in that I can’t tell if the person has even read it, or I am shooting over their head, or I just did not write it well.
Don Added Oct 20, 2017 - 12:21pm
Collettesbyte, I did psychotherapy for over 50 years.  I also taught graduate courses in theories of personality.
Sometimes I heard dreams like yours and went in the same direction you did to make sense of them.
Jeff Michka Added Oct 21, 2017 - 2:02pm
Do sez: I did psychotherapy for over 50 years.-I hope your "patients" are recovering from your therapy, and have all renounced gawd and ripped geezus from their hearts and minds.  How did inducing "Xtain guilt" help them?  Or are most of your former patients inhabiting marble ochards?
Gone Away Added Oct 21, 2017 - 3:58pm
Sheesh Jeff, that's a pretty extreme and unkind response. Do you get your kicks from being angry and disrespectful?
Jeff Michka Added Oct 21, 2017 - 7:23pm
Colettebytes sez: unkind response. Do you get your kicks from being angry and disrespectful?-Not necessarily, but when mindless Xtains want to "guilt" people into a desire set of behaviors, like ol Don does, I get existential gas.  This "original" sin stuff isn't original, but same old Xtain fair for taming the masses.  If he was imposing this as a trusted professional, it is, IMO, malpractice.  Since you aren't Don, let him answer.  Thanks for the unnecessary tone policing.  Perhaps he was one of those "moral folks," "treating" homosexuals by "converting" them to being strait.  We'll see.  he can speak for himself, I can comment and so can you in anyway you or I choose.
Don Added Oct 21, 2017 - 7:44pm
Jeff for two days I have had an article waiting on the 48 hour rule. (So, don’t want you to think I was responding to you.) I was posting it while you were commenting. Check it out.  It is on meddling.

Don Added Oct 21, 2017 - 7:52pm
By the way proselytizing by a psychotherapist is considered unethical unless the patient brings it in as part of the problem.  Then it would be malpractice not to deal with it.  (By the way, trying to destroy a patient’s faith is unconscionable.)
Don Added Oct 21, 2017 - 7:59pm
Jeff you hold your beliefs with such intensity I suggest you don’t try to be a psychotherapist.  Psychotherapy requires being objective and the tells of a good poker player.
Don Added Oct 21, 2017 - 8:13pm
Also by the way, what in the world did I write that set you off? Are you one of these on WB that speed reads through articles  so you can comment to follow Autumn’s suggestions.  I had one the other day who just saw the title and his comments had nothing to do with my article.
Jeff Michka Added Oct 21, 2017 - 9:21pm
Don sez: (So, don’t want you to think I was responding to you.-OK.  Then you "aren't replying," but seems you are anyway-AND Are you one of these on WB that speed reads through articles  so you can comment to follow Autumn’s suggestions.-Nope, but I don't believe in the mythology of "original sin." i realize that's the Xtian argument for "being forgiven" from things you may or may not have done, but just might, 'cause "You are dirty" from the get go-AND  tells of a good poker player. -I don't like saying it, but I'm not shabby or obsessive at the table, but have little interest in being a psychotherapist.  My wife wears my "last outing" at a poker night on her wrist and ears.  Maybe instead be a garden gnome.