THIS HURRYING LIFE

just leave the first in
that's all you need

to realize
life can be kind
enjoy it slowly
don't hurry blind.

Well.....just had that idea when I heard of a friend who lost his job, is in debt all over the place and got a heart attack because of all that. And - he's 39....

Comments

Mark Hunter Added Oct 30, 2017 - 2:41am
39 ... ouch. Maybe I shouldn't joke around so much about my doctor telling me to cut down on stress.
Lady Sekhmetnakt Added Oct 30, 2017 - 2:52am
I've often said a single lifetime isn't enough. But regardless that's all we get. Like Mark said, cut down on the stress if it's an issue with you. Slow down and learn how to enjoy your time here. Second chances are not quite what they are cracked up to be.
opher goodwin Added Oct 30, 2017 - 8:31am
The best things are all done slowly.
George N Romey Added Oct 30, 2017 - 8:37am
Technology was suppose to make life easier but it’s done nothing but turn us into 24/7 work machines, particularly as the machines threaten our livelihood.
opher goodwin Added Oct 30, 2017 - 8:39am
George that is so true. What happened to the shorter working week we were promised? The early retirement? The making better use of leisure? I think the capitalists stole the dream.
Dave Volek Added Oct 30, 2017 - 8:47am
We are born. We work like dogs. We stress ourselves out. We die. With no other purpose, it must be tough being an atheist.

opher goodwin Added Oct 30, 2017 - 8:55am
Dave - we are born, we love, we have fun, we share, we create, we solve problems, we care, we make things better, we love a bit more, we play music, dance and sing, we paint, we write, we think, we wonder, we are in awe, we raise families, we love a lot more, we share with friends, we drink, we party, we create, we help one another, we laugh a lot, cuddle, hug and cry a bit, we die.
It's not so bad to open your eyes in a wondrous place for a while. In fact it's awesome.
Dino Manalis Added Oct 30, 2017 - 8:57am
Life is precious and temporary, everybody's in a hurry!
Skip Stein Added Oct 30, 2017 - 9:02am
That was a great message for this Monday morning.  The fast paced crazy World we live in has embraced everything today, never look to tomorrow.  You see it in people and especially in business.

Our current technology allows us to see what is sold anywhere in the World WHEN it is sold.  I worked on some of these systems myself when I was in the IT Business.  The focus is on what the World owes me not what can I do to help the World.

We are connected constantly.  Have you ever forgot your cell phone as you leave for work or to go to the grocery store?  When you realize it; it is almost PANIC and you MUST decide whether to go back or continue.  That is pretty much NUTS; but I do it ALL the time as does my lovely wife.  We are constantly 'On  Call' in our current lives and seldom, if ever, just shut down and relax.  I've gotten better at this but hell, I'm 71 and think I've learned a thing but still am going constantly; always busy, always reading, always, like Short Circuit's Johnny Five, looking for MORE INPUT.

In one way it is great to keep my brain and body active. In others, I wonder if I am burning myself out.  How will I ever get to my goal of 130+, still active and alive, if I am constantly burning myself out?  But I don't feel burned out, I feel ALIVE.

But then we will take a long several mile walk, go on a hiking trip into the mountains, sit in our far infrared sauna but still have our cell phones handy.  I try, I really do, but it is so hard to just SLOW DOWN and smell the roses, look at the clear blue sky, gaze at the stars and moon, just sit and Be Thankful that I AM still alive and able to help others; unlike that poor young man who died so young.

Sometimes it is really hard work to just NOT WORK, sit an contemplate your life, how you can make it better for you and your family and just STOP the hectic, short term crap we all seem to embrace.

This week the JFK files were released and we should all remember his words: "ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." and consider Not what you can do for yourself but what you can do for others.

Meditate, Relax and Live LONG and Prosper, Quietly.
George N Romey Added Oct 30, 2017 - 9:14am
Opher yes the capitalists stole the promise of technology but we’ve also fallen victim to the mind control of social media. We expect the machines to do our thinking for us.
Even A Broken Clock Added Oct 30, 2017 - 12:17pm
Stone - thank you for that heart-felt (literally) poem.

Skip - your thoughts are good to share and reflect upon. Thanks as well.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Oct 30, 2017 - 2:09pm
Mark

Be careful. You only live once ;-)
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Oct 30, 2017 - 2:11pm
Jen

I guess when I would have worked as employee all my life, I most certainly've had a heart attack too. NOT to be responsible for your own life and being dependent on others in full can kill you.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Oct 30, 2017 - 2:12pm
Opher

The best things are all done slowly

Right. I should get used to sleep more slowly :-)
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Oct 30, 2017 - 2:14pm
George / Opher

What happened to the shorter working week we were promised

Doesn't help. People rather stress for 4 hours a day instead of taking their time for 6 hours. Why ? Because the environment is fast. EVERYTHING is fast. Get rid of watches and iShit.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Oct 30, 2017 - 2:16pm
Dave

With no other purpose, it must be tough being an atheist.

Wrong approach. The difference is we see the "purpose" in life in being alive. No invisible other motivation ;-)
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Oct 30, 2017 - 2:19pm
Skip

Thanks.

Sure. I only have it with me when I expect an important call. From midnight until I took my morning coffee it0's off anyway. I tell people to send a mail instead, because I have a PC in my office anyway.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Oct 30, 2017 - 2:22pm
BTW:

Sometimes it is really hard work to just NOT WORK, sit an contemplate your life

I can't do that in Switzerland. In Africa no problem, even for hours, sitting in front of the house, sip tea, chat with people passing by. There it is possible because life in general is slow, and so you will become too after a while.
George N Romey Added Oct 30, 2017 - 2:59pm
Get rid of technology and see whether you get employed?  Sadly most of us are not independently wealthy and are forced to kiss the corporate ass for our daily bread.  Brutal fact of life.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Oct 30, 2017 - 3:15pm
George

That doesn't mean that you have to be accessible 24/7 !
opher goodwin Added Oct 30, 2017 - 3:28pm
Stone - this speed is a pain. Every minute it's hustle for a buck.
opher goodwin Added Oct 30, 2017 - 3:29pm
Stone - I don't own a cell-phone.
opher goodwin Added Oct 30, 2017 - 3:29pm
George - yep - I think social media is a drug they invented to fill our time and stop us thinking.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Oct 30, 2017 - 4:44pm
Opher

Unsocial media IS a drug, and I'm starting to limit it.
Lady Sekhmetnakt Added Oct 30, 2017 - 5:02pm
I need a cell phone for work, and it's convenient for me to use mobile, but I don't take mine everywhere. Don't need to be available for work when I'm done with my day. Like Stone-Eater said they can send me an email and I will get back to them when I get a chance (the next work day probably).

Of course jobs differ and mine stresses having a complete life and good off time so we can be productive with our imaginations. Heaping on stress and meaningless busy work is counterproductive for us. For everyone really but they seem to get this where I work.
wsucram15 Added Oct 30, 2017 - 7:23pm
Happy Halloween!!!
Ray Joseph Cormier Added Oct 30, 2017 - 9:43pm
Here's a picture of a stress builder! The Economic Rat Race.

From another angle
opher goodwin Added Oct 31, 2017 - 4:08am
Stone - yes I should too. It robs you of time and sanity.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Oct 31, 2017 - 8:10am
Jeanne

What Halloween ? What's that good for ? We never knew that here until lately, now my daughter is into that too. Next year we will probably introduce Thanksgiving. But then we also should include Aid a-Fitr and all Muslim holidays LOL
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Oct 31, 2017 - 8:19am
Ray

LOL

We look for more and more and more just to find out one day that we missed life by wanting more and more and more :-)
opher goodwin Added Oct 31, 2017 - 6:58pm
Stone the things we really need are people, pets, love and friendship, not more things.
Ray Joseph Cormier Added Oct 31, 2017 - 9:15pm
I don't know what it's like where you all are, but in Ottawa-Hull there's an explosion in construction of big, stand alone self-storage buildings going up everywhere.

That's definitely a SIGN we have way too much useless stuff.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Nov 1, 2017 - 7:39am
Opher

I agree except ... pets. I'd probably cook them for dinner LOL
opher goodwin Added Nov 1, 2017 - 8:22am
Stone - I love animals. I've always had pets. They make me feel good.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Nov 1, 2017 - 11:29am
Opher

Well.....I don't know. I was never too fond of animals, frankly. Not that I have anything against them, but I sort of don't know what I could do with them except feeding them.....
opher goodwin Added Nov 1, 2017 - 7:26pm
You can form a relationship with them. You can appreciate their wonderful nature.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Nov 2, 2017 - 5:36am
Relationship....well...a very basic one ;)
opher goodwin Added Nov 2, 2017 - 6:13am
No - pets become part of the family. My dog was much loved.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Nov 2, 2017 - 2:20pm
Opher

Maybe I've become a little extreme regarding animals since I've seen and lived (and still live, although we improve little by little depending on work available) in the poverty of Africa.

When 10-year-old Michael licks fish bones just to have a taste of fish and in the West pets get fed exquisite food on porcelain plates.

Imagine: We're watching TV on an old black and white TV, the PUB advertizes dog and cat food while we eat once a day Maniok pulp.....that shocked me somehow, and that's where I changed my values.

Of course it's not the fault of the animal but of its human. But.....that stuff still gets me very emotional.

Recent Articles by Writers Stone-Eater Friedli follows.