A Writer Beat Fairy Tale

(This posting is in reference to: It's Time to Limit the Writer Beat Trolls by Michael Cikraji)

(Note: Any semblance of characters in this story to real trolls is gleefully intentional.)

Once upon a time there were three billy goats, who were to go up to Writer Beat to engage in civilized discussion and debate, and the name of all three was "Gruff"; they all had surnames which were Michael, JenJen, and ol Lynn (there might have been another one named Leroy).

On the way up was a bridge over a cascading stream they had to cross; the bridge had many names like reason, civility, and coherence.  It allowed goats from all walks of life to happily access Writer Beat.

But under the bridge lived a great ugly Michka (which is Ukrainian for troll).  There used to be two, but one mysteriously disappeared in autumn just before winter.

So first of all came the newest Billy Goat Gruff (ol Lynn) to cross the bridge.

"Trip, trap, trip, trap! " went the bridge.

"Who's that tripping over my bridge?" roared the Michka.  "How dare you use reason, civility and coherence!"

"Oh, it is only I, the newest Billy Goat Gruff , and I'm going up to the Writer Beat to discuss current issues with people of differing opinions and experiences," said the billy goat, with such a small voice.

"Now, I'm coming to gobble you up with poor formatting, faulty logic, vulgar name calling, and personal attacks." said the Michka.

"Oh, no! pray don't take me. I'm too new to Writer Beat, that I am," said the billy goat. "Wait a bit till the second Billy Goat Gruff comes. He's much bigger."

"Well, be off with you, you fascist, bully, racist, Trumpeter, phony Texican!  I fart in your general direction." yelled the Michka.

A little while after came the second Billy Goat Gruff (JenJen) to cross the bridge.

Trip, trap, trip, trap, trip, trap, went the bridge.

"Oh, it is only I, the second Billy Goat Gruff (JenJen), and I'm going up to the Writer Beat to discuss current issues with people of differing opinions and experiences," said the billy goat, who hadn't such a small voice.

"Oh, no! Don't take me. Wait a little till the big Billy Goat Gruff comes. He's much bigger."

"Very well! Be off with you, you fascist, righteous rightists, anti-left, capitalist pig!" said the Michka.  He then threw some poo at the poor Billy Goat Gruff (JenJen) to really make his point.

But just then up came the big Billy Goat Gruff (Michael).

Trip, trap, trip, trap, trip, trap! went the bridge, for the billy goat was so heavy that the bridge creaked and groaned under his use of reason, civility, and coherence.

"It's I! The big Billy Goat Gruff (Michael)," said the billy goat, who had an mighty voice of his own.  I have used reason, civility and coherence to argue that Michkas (including the other John G) have no place at Writer Beat.

"Now I 'm coming to gobble you up, you fascist, xenophobic, Trumpists, minority murdering bully boy!" roared the Michka.

"Well, come along! I've got little red Xs that will fix you right up said the Billy Goat Gruff (Michael).

That was what the big billy goat said. And then he flew at the Michka.  The battle was intense.  The other Billy Goats Gruff returned and joined in (even Leroy).  Other goats watched; some chimed in on the value (or lack there-of) of Michkas.

There seemed to be no stopping the Michka from throwing poo whenever and wherever he liked... but then all the billy goats (Gruff and not) realized just how much more civil, and reasoned, and coherent, and peaceful comments sections where with half the trolls as before.  Then they reasoned that zero would be even better.

The Michka was driven off and the bridge known as reason, civility and coherence that lead to Writer Beat was used peaceably again.  And they all wrote and commented reasonably happily ever after.

The End?   :P

Comments

Autumn Cote Added Nov 7, 2017 - 8:53am
Please note, the second best way to draw more attention to your work is to comment on the work of others (I know you've commented recently, but one sentence comments don't count). I know this to be true because if you do, I'll do everything in my power to draw more attention to your articles (there is a lot I can do and would like to do on your behalf).  Below are a few articles whose authors are deserving of more comment activity:

George N Romey Added Nov 7, 2017 - 10:42am
Generally we people have nothing constructive and intelligent to say they go for personal attacks.  I usually ignore them believing don't feed the trolls.
Lynn Johnson Added Nov 7, 2017 - 11:01am
George >> Generally [when] people have nothing constructive and intelligent to say they go for personal attacks.

A key trait of a troll.  They rarely "contribute" much else.  And I think the post emphasizes that.

George >> I usually ignore them believing don't feed the trolls.

Sound advice... given to me again and again.  I'm horrible at following it though; since this entire post could be interpreted as a feeding.
Tom C. Purcell Added Nov 7, 2017 - 11:10am
I enjoyed this.  I just had to be careful not to spit my coffee out as I read it.  Nice!
Lynn Johnson Added Nov 7, 2017 - 11:27am
Tom, thank you.  It was meant to make it’s point as humorous satire.  Glad you enjoyed it.
Simply Jews Added Nov 7, 2017 - 11:49am
A fair description of goings on in this strange and baffling place.
As for trolls and goats: they look all so similar in appearance and manners that a newcomer would  be indeed confused. Which, I guess, is the purpose of the fair hostess of WB...
opher goodwin Added Nov 7, 2017 - 11:50am
Lynn - greatly enjoyed that. Well done. I don't know if the people mentioned will be happy or upset. Made me laugh.
Tom C. Purcell Added Nov 7, 2017 - 12:00pm
I think at least one or two of the named characters are only happy when they are upset so... "I don't know if the people mentioned will be happy or upset."  The answer to that quandary is yes.
Lynn Johnson Added Nov 7, 2017 - 12:04pm
SJ >> A fair description of goings on in this strange and baffling place.

Oh yeah...

SJ >> As for trolls and goats: they look all so similar in appearance and manners that a newcomer would be indeed confused.

As a goat (I hope), I certainly don't mind sparing and ramming other goats... AND poking trolls with sticks it seems. :)

SJ >> Which, I guess, is the purpose of the fair hostess of WB...

I assume so... I would not have the job, but appreciate the one who gets it done.
Lynn Johnson Added Nov 7, 2017 - 12:05pm
OG >> Lynn - greatly enjoyed that. Well done... Made me laugh.

Thank you, that was its purpose, and I greatly enjoyed compiling it; (maniacally) laughing quite a bit during the process.

OG >> I don't know if the people mentioned will be happy or upset.

A certainly hope the goats are not offended.  That was not my intention.
Jeff Michka Added Nov 7, 2017 - 12:07pm
Bullyboy Thinskin Lynn posts an ARTICLE TRYING TO BE CLEVER AND DEFEND HIMSELF AND OTHERS-sadly, opher goodwin sez: greatly enjoyed that. Well done. I don't know if the people mentioned will be happy or upset. Made me laugh.-I'll keep that in mind, opher. Seems going along to get along isn't just for sorry-assed Texicans or suckers from South Africa. Of course, Nazi Tom Purell (he's a Nazi, he's a hand sanitizer) loved it. Now delete away sorry-ass Bully Lynn.
opher goodwin Added Nov 7, 2017 - 12:13pm
Hey Jeff - take it in fun. No harm meant. I didn't read it as anything more than a laugh. Don't take it so personal. We all love you.
Ian Thorpe Added Nov 7, 2017 - 12:23pm
Lynn, extraordinarily amusing post, do you do the song as well?

wsucram15 Added Nov 7, 2017 - 12:33pm
Well..Im not sure that was unbiased, but it was an interesting perspective on our little writing blog.    Lynn you dont have the entire history of the site..hang around a bit, there is a little more here than what you have seen.  I promise.
So Im taking it JenJen is Lady?   Michael is MichaelB?   Well between  Lady and Jeff..its touchy and its for a reason. They are just on opposite spectrum's.  MichaelB is an acquired taste, but fun. On the other hand he does go pretty deep.  But I am sure since he has an opposition Pov..perhaps Jeff and he have had some debates.
Most of the time, jeff has a point.  He does write once in awhile, and his articles are good when he does. Please keep in mind, commenting other authors articles is a part of being a member of the page.
Although for observation and not so much for accuracy, I will give you a touche'.
Jeff..he doesnt know the site and has only been on here for a little while.  Maybe after a bit..he will see that you arent some evil person. Just relax..you know the article was well thought out..come on.
opher goodwin Added Nov 7, 2017 - 12:39pm
Jeff - I don't think you're a troll. I think John G was though - at least on my posts. The trouble with satire is that there is always someone who bears the brunt. It was funny though and well done. Perhaps you should not have been the one chosen for that role. I can think of a couple.
If Lynn had been around a bit longer he'd have known a bit more.
Sorry if it upset you.
Lynn Johnson Added Nov 7, 2017 - 12:41pm
Michka >> Bullyboy Thinskin Lynn posts an ARTICLE TRYING TO BE CLEVER…

I think the consensus is that it WAS clever.

Given that, I was wondering if/when this little piece of poo would fly...  It's not so bad.  Sure, there's the poor formatting, and the lack of any meaningful content.  BUT the vulgarity is low and with less than a dozen personal attacks (bullyboy, thinskin, sorry-assed x2, texican, suckers, Nazi, bully).  This is one of the best Michka comments ever!

$^&*#!  I missed "sorry-assed" and "Nazi" in the story... I may go back and add them.  Pure gold!

Michka >> I'll keep that in mind, opher.

Watch out opher! :) Incoming!

Michka >> Now delete away sorry-ass Bully Lynn.

I'll think we'll keep this one.  (I'm sure there will be others I can delete... and there they are...)  It's one of your best AND it adds so much to the original post.  I couldn't have asked for anything better!

Thanks for the comment! :)
Benjamin Goldstein Added Nov 7, 2017 - 12:42pm
SJ: this strange and baffling place
I think we all constantly think about WB being strange and baffling. It is like a microcosmos. I think we are very representative in many ways. Only in real life Jews, anti-Semites, and socialists wouldn't treat each other so well as we do here. Despite all the troll talk we are extremely civilized. We have run-ins with one another only on WB. In the real world our family and friends would go nuts if we talked with people who are so different from us.

My second theory is that many of us are outcasts. We are representive in some ways and yet we are less conforming than most (we all hate Hollywoode elites). This is only true for those who stick around (the others have their save spaces). If you are falsly accused of being a Nazi you are more likely to accept any free speech niche even if you have to share it with real Nazis. At some point expressing oneselve becomes more important than staying in the closet in a hostile environment. That's why we are so civil. Many have felt bullying before we came here and thus don't do this to others. Even John G wouldn't have gone so far as to try to destroy another person's job or family, neither would he have tried to deplatform others. However, this level of bullying is normal everywhere else outside WB.
Lynn Johnson Added Nov 7, 2017 - 12:43pm
IT >> Lynn, extraordinarily amusing post, do you do the song as well?

You'll notice I stray from the original substantially when it's time for the song. I don't sing... :)
Lynn Johnson Added Nov 7, 2017 - 1:05pm
W15 >> Well..Im not sure that was unbiased,

Not in the least. :)

W15 >> ... but it was an interesting perspective on our little writing blog.

It's not as if I haven't had an introduction by fire (or poo dodging).

W15 >> Lynn you dont have the entire history of the site..hang around a bit, there is a little more here than what you have seen.  I promise.

I suspected as much.

W15 >> So Im taking it JenJen is Lady?   Michael is Michael B?

I just used the names thrown out by Michka in a comment from the original post.  Michael was actually Michael Cikraji who penned the original post on trolls (referenced and linked at the top of this post).

I'm just now figuring out that JenJen is Lady...

W15 >> Most of the time, jeff has a point.  He does write once in awhile, and his articles are good when he does.

Articles?  Sure.  Comments?  I've rarely seen one have a point (other than personal attacks).  Look at the comment (the one I didn't delete) above and tell me what Michka's point was?

W15 >> Please keep in mind, commenting other authors articles is a part of being a member of the page.

Absolutely... I think I do a pretty good job of that but will strive to do better.

W15 >> Maybe after a bit..he will see that you arent some evil person.

That will take some doing.

Thank you wsucram15 for the comment.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Nov 7, 2017 - 1:07pm
Hm....ok. Not as funny as I thought but maybe it's just not enough bloodthirsty for me LOL
opher goodwin Added Nov 7, 2017 - 1:13pm
Hmmmm - I should have learnt my lesson. I'm a sucker for humour. I got into trouble with Jenifer for finding Leroy's post funny.
Simply Jews Added Nov 7, 2017 - 1:16pm
@Benjamin,

Yep, there is much to say for the outcast theory, although that seems to be changing slowly, with some mainstream names joining.
And indeed, Nazis are better punched than talked to in real life. Not that I see much use in talking to them anywhere, be it real life or not.
Civility might be overrated at times ;-)
opher goodwin Added Nov 7, 2017 - 1:19pm
SJ - Woody Guthrie had a sign on his guitar which read - THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS.
I believe that.
Thomas Sutrina Added Nov 7, 2017 - 1:25pm
Consider John G. for example as a foil.  A protagonist to that says things that make the opposite point from the one intended by adding a little counter point.

Your the  consonance and he is the dissonance.  Sometime that is great music.
Simply Jews Added Nov 7, 2017 - 1:28pm
Opher - ditto.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Nov 7, 2017 - 1:36pm
SJ: So far I just ridiculed Puckell Goy. I think in real live he would be civil enough so one could sit him down and talk him out of his conspiracy theories. Yet, nobody is doing it. They all flee or go bullying.

I noticed the same in Germany with all the Muslims. I like to sit them down and go through the conspiracy stuff. It is baffling that nobody does it. In real life - not online - it isn't even a big deal. The nonsense comes apart very quickly (talking a few hours).

Simply Jews Added Nov 7, 2017 - 1:49pm
@Benjamin,

"It is baffling that nobody does it."

I admire your patience. Not many people have it.
Leroy Added Nov 7, 2017 - 3:46pm
Nice one, Lynn.  And thanks for the honorable mention...I think.
Jeff Michka Added Nov 7, 2017 - 4:22pm
Oh!!! I'm soooo angry!!! Let me do my Lynn DUNGson imitation (the one before he beats his wife and kids) *BANG* *BANG* *STOMP* *STOMP* i'M so mad!  now, because LJ and the Polish joke DEMAND IT, I'll go away and leave WB by demand from the weenie squad.AND: Nice one, Lynn.  And thanks for the honorable mention...I think.-STILL NO PARAGRAPHS FOR YOU, LEROY!!
Lynn Johnson Added Nov 7, 2017 - 4:52pm
Leroy >> Nice one, Lynn.  And thanks for the honorable mention...I think.

Hey man.  I just thought you deserved a cameo.  Of course, if I bestowed that honor on everyone Michka hates, we'd have an Atlas Shrugged size epic novel on our hands.
Lynn Johnson Added Nov 7, 2017 - 4:53pm
The Michka >> Oh!!! I'm soooo angry!!! Let me do my Lynn DUNGson imitation...

LMAO!

"Now I'm coming to gobble you up, you mad, DUNGson, Polish joke, weenie squad member!" roared the Michka.

Let's keep this one up too, if for no other reason than to prove the point of the original fairy tale. :)

And yeah, Leroy!  No paragraphs from you!?  How dare your comment be short, pertinent, and to the point!
Lynn Johnson Added Nov 7, 2017 - 5:26pm
Look out!  The Michka is afoot and nobody is safe!  Resorting to plying his poo/comments on other posts now…

The Simple Life, by George N Romey
"Prince Geo R sez: Sounds like Lynn found nirvana.-Got a feeling ol Bully boy Lynn found somewhere isolated enough he can beat his wife and kids without fear of anyone turning him in.  That's the one thing the Trumpist neighbor forgot when he smacked his wife publicly.  Someone did the right thing and turned him in." -- The Michka

C’mon JM… I left up your insightful, pertinent “wife and kids beating” rant here.  You mean it was pertinent there too.  You know… it’s probably pertinent to every article I’ve ever commented on; don’t you think?

And nothing to do with trollish personal attacks...
Leroy Added Nov 7, 2017 - 6:17pm
"STILL NO PARAGRAPHS FOR YOU, LEROY!!"

LOL.  Like I say, you can be a funny guy.
Jeff Michka Added Nov 7, 2017 - 7:15pm
Online/offline Bully, LJ sez: I think the consensus is that it WAS clever-Interesting concept of consensus. BG observed: Even John G wouldn't have gone so far as to try to destroy another person's job or family, neither would he have tried to deplatform others. However, this level of bullying is normal everywhere else outside WB. -It should be expected from Lynn boy, blows into WB and figure he can run the table with unhappy weenies any way HE chooses.  Doesn't say much for his new good friends choices.  So, in absence of any denial, you beat your wife and kids.  That rural Texan life has so much to offer a scumbag like LJ. - and You know… it’s probably pertinent to every article I’ve ever commented on; don’t you think?-Only pertinent to you, Lynn.  You've not been here long enough or read enough here to become this instant expert on everyone and every thing here.  But you should know WBers were quite willing to have Nazi Tom Purcell take over WB when, at one point, Autumn wanted to walk away.  Better suck up to him, LJ.
Jeff Michka Added Nov 7, 2017 - 7:16pm
And nothing to do with trollish personal attacks.-iF YOU'RE MAKING THE ATTACKS AND TROLLING, THEN IT'S OKAY, EH, Lynn boy?
Dr. Rupert Green Added Nov 7, 2017 - 7:29pm
I am against censorship as I am willing to hear everyone out. I dont have to play in the sandbox with those who are offensive and uncivil. However, I have seen the personal threats, and that is indeed unacceptable. The gist here is to over come your opponents with superior argument and other grammatical constructs. In that regard, the elders of FB do have a right to ostracize the rapists to prevent the participation of younger writers.
Jeff Michka Added Nov 7, 2017 - 7:44pm
Careful Dr. Green, you aren't following Lynn and calling for my ouster. Lynn just blew in, so how can he not know everything about everyone?  Well, just ask Mr. Well-read, he knows everything!  Ask him.
Dr. Rupert Green Added Nov 7, 2017 - 8:14pm
@ Jeff. Please review; " I am against censorship as I am willing to hear everyone out. I dont have to play in the sandbox with those who are offensive and uncivil. However, I have seen the personal threats, and that is indeed unacceptable" (Green)

The only way to justify your statement: "Careful Dr. Green, you aren't following Lynn and calling for my ouster " is if you have threatened anyone on FB.

wsucram15 Added Nov 7, 2017 - 8:48pm
Lynn..
I apologize, Michael C..is a little too hard lined for me, although intelligent, I dont like to argue and some times he does. I just dont comment people that often that like to argue.  Although, I have been known to wage a battle or two myself.   Depends on who the author is..

I like michka..even when he is giving me a hard time. You know why, he isnt full of shit.  I like that in a writer.  Also he has been around a long time.  I tend to defend those writers because so many newer writers have come on here and been so abusive they have driven away many many good writers that just differed in opinion.  With threats and insults..bad blood that does not belong on a writers page.

I liked your story..It was cool.

As far as his comment..hes pissed off. You insulted the shit out of him and you dont know the background of any hostility on here. You took sides with people you dont know, that share similar opinions.  I know thats how it goes..but get your feet wet first.    Its all I was trying to tell you.  You brought all the commenting from him..on yourself. Something you found funny was just mean.  We've all been through this already.  The website almost shut down over all the pressure over the infighting and monitoring that needed to be done by Autumn.

People on here do different things. SEF is the resident cool guy, some ppl like him..some dont.  He is the longest writer on here still standing. Then there is me..William..Mike..George and I am not sure who else.  All with their own angles and spins. We have a resident White supremacist and his friend (they have been on here about 18 months or so). Everyone else is newer.   For example..there is a Shane that doesnt write much anymore that is a great writer and just awesome, he shows up now and again..and we have the uber Christian who pops in once in awhile to drop an article.   The newest cool person is Opher and Jeff just fights for what he believes in..
You just have to give everyone a chance.

Jeff..come on...he should not have written the article. I would not like it either, nor would he...but take it in stride and for what its worth.  You know there will be other days.
Leroy..come on man.
Opher..thanks.
SEF..thanks..

Leroy Added Nov 7, 2017 - 8:59pm
"Leroy..come on man."

What does that mean?
wsucram15 Added Nov 7, 2017 - 9:02pm
Take it easy on Mitchka.  I dont know if you get along or not, but you know about all the trouble we had with this page..Lynn does not.

All I am saying.  You would not be happy if this was written about you.
Leroy Added Nov 7, 2017 - 9:09pm
I may not be the brightest bulb in the building, but I thought Michka was making a joke.  I don't pretend to speak for anyone, but I think he is largely misunderstood.  There is no comparison between Michka and John G.
Michael B. Added Nov 7, 2017 - 9:45pm
HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! LOOOOOL! I have to admit it...this post made me spray beer through my nostrils and onto the screen, which is usually difficult to do! As the recipient of several hit posts here, my personal favorites being those of "Marylin French" (I think she wrote 5 or 6, a record that still stands), I speak with some qualification! To be perfectly honest, I appreciate my "profiling" by others here; like most people, a dose of my own medicine is hard to swallow, but the way I see it, I better be able to take it at least as good as I give it, lol!
Michael B. Added Nov 7, 2017 - 9:46pm
@ Jeanne - Thank you dear, I am an acquired taste for sure! : )
Michael B. Added Nov 7, 2017 - 9:48pm
@ Leroy - I'm in agreement there! Michka is fucking Einstein compared to John G., lol!
wsucram15 Added Nov 7, 2017 - 9:51pm
Thank you Leroy and MIchaelB..
It is on the comical side and I get it..but remember all those articles previously about individuals ?
I guess so..thanks guys. :) :)

wsucram15 Added Nov 7, 2017 - 9:56pm
Michael B. Added Nov 7, 2017 - 10:08pm
@ Jeanne - I didn't think he was offensive, I thought he was an obnoxious asshole who brought absolutely nothing to the table; but then again, some would say the same about me, huh, lol!
wsucram15 Added Nov 7, 2017 - 10:18pm
Arent we all sometimes on any given day? You are alright if you arent really mad.  Ive seen you infuriated, i could tell by the way your writing changed.   You just have to remember its people like JohnG or Marilyn that are trying to push you to that point.
Let them sit in that hate and anger. go have a beer.
Michael B. Added Nov 7, 2017 - 10:36pm
@ Jeanne - Thank you dear, I just sipped a beer and took a toke! : )
Lynn Johnson Added Nov 7, 2017 - 11:17pm
Understand that this post was not produced in a vacuum (for those who didn't follow the original post (here) and the one that prompted it (here)).  It was in response to continual abuse over the past week.  Every adjective used by the troll in the story is a Jeff Michka original; all similar in tone and content to "So, in absence of any denial, you beat your wife and kids. That rural Texan life has so much to offer a scumbag like LJ."

Absent the history you guys (correctly) point out that I lack, I use what I have to judge the content of a writer's character... their words.  I suspect I'll keep doing that no matter what.  I apologize to Autumn if I’ve put her in a bad place out of historical ignorance.

I'll try to ease up on JM in the spirit of WB unity if the courtesy is extended to me.  We’ll see.

Thanks all for the comments.
opher goodwin Added Nov 8, 2017 - 3:05am
Jeanne - John G was personally rude and abusive. He repeatedly disrupted threads with streams of arrogant put downs and no hint of constructiveness. He certainly trolled my posts with obnoxious retorts. Yet there were some interesting things he came out with.

Mark Hunter Added Nov 8, 2017 - 3:33am
It was clever, and fun to read. But, sadly, the trolls usually win out in the end when everyone tires of trying to reason with them and gives up, or gets so mad that they stoop to the trolls' level. I suppose the moral of the story is, just don't feed them.
wsucram15 Added Nov 8, 2017 - 6:04am
Right..Mark, completely on point.
Lynn, I am NOT trying to bust your ass. Just remember you have a red X and you can ignore anyone. Believe me, its something  someone I have some respect for taught me and I have used it often.
You have enough of your own stuff going on..dont feed into anyone elses hate and anger.  Thats their burden.
I know its difficult, but like others on here have told you..Jeff is a lightweight compared to some that have graced these pages. Welcome to Writer Beat!
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Nov 8, 2017 - 6:17am
Jeanne

I might be the one who has been here the longest, but you're our house expert on music :-)
Leroy Added Nov 8, 2017 - 8:38am
"Also I want to know..why you found JohnG so offensive.  Did you argue with him or was it his persistence."

Quite honestly, I think he is an alien from a bizarro parallel universe where everything is opposite than here on earth.  He relished in being disagreeable.  Every time he showed a spark of intelligence, he disappointed me.  The only thing he contributed to was disharmony.   I learned nothing from him.  He gave me no insight from his part of the universe or his field of study.  He was a jerk.  But that is what aliens do.  I suspect he is short with a green complexion and antennae extending his head.
Leroy Added Nov 8, 2017 - 8:43am
"I don't think JM is misunderstood or joking.  I stand by the inference of the post until I see (a lot of) evidence otherwise."

Michka can be abusive.  He can also be insightful and funny.  When abusive, I don't hesitate to use the little red "x".   I don't see why people differentiate between Michka and JenJen.  Both can be abusive.  Both can be insightful.  Unfortunately, JenJen is devoid of humor and seems to have a mental block towards it.
Lynn Johnson Added Nov 8, 2017 - 9:41am
@ Michael C
Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it.  It seems we really stirred up a hornets nest.

Argument is great when done the right way and I do enjoy it in the right context (concentrating on challenging ideas).  Iron sharpens iron after all.
William Stockton Added Nov 8, 2017 - 10:55am
Interesting lesson here.  One can post a troll comment (or article) about a troll, be creative and humorous, and actually be "OK".  I mean . . . this is exactly what Trump did to his opponents . . . trolled them hard and with humor . . . much like this article.

So,  If you are going to bash someone in the head, be sure that you do it with creativity and that everyone has a good laugh.  You are golden!

Jeff Michka Added Nov 8, 2017 - 4:01pm
wsucram15 sez: ...but take it in stride and for what its worth.  You know there will be other days. - It seem "the author" has other feelings.  I don't care, but do care about his bullying attempts, few here seem to resist, or are capable of resisting.  To that end, yes,  there will be other days.
wsucram15 Added Nov 8, 2017 - 6:55pm
William..dont be an ass. We just went through this and almost lost the page over this kind of stuff.
If you dont care..I do.  I dont care about Michael..he doesnt give a shit about this page or he would be considering what I am saying.  But you should and I definitely do..
Lynns article had merit and he is a good writer...but have we not been down this damn road before with other people?  Remember?

Jeff..like I said..not everyone is a nice person and wants to cooperate. They dont care if this  is a cool writers page that there arent a bunch of rules on..  Same goes for you...if you piss people off, this is what happens.   Find a way to be confrontational that is less in someones face, or at least less like calling them stupid.  You are a smart guy. You dont offend me at all and you have been obnoxious with me when we disagreed...  But Thats why we have the ability to ignore or delete.

But those of us that have been on this page a long time..care.  Respect people...all I am saying.  The next time, begging to keep the page open, might not work.

opher goodwin Added Nov 9, 2017 - 4:27pm
Sometimes, just because something is amusing or good in many ways it is still not acceptable. In hindsight I do not think that a post like this is right. It hurts people and that's simply not funny.
I think that there are better ways to deal with trolls.
Personally I have always got on with Jeff and I don't have a problem. There are a number of people on this site that have been very personally abusive but John G was probably the biggest troll on my threads. He was exceptionally rude and arrogant. Though I still appreciated some of his perspective.
Surely the main object of this site is to interact with people who have greatly different views? Are to try to do that civilly?
I don't think it's right to abuse people - even in humour.
Lynn Johnson Added Nov 9, 2017 - 6:38pm
Well I was going to drop this and not comment on it again... BUT... you hit a nerve... And OG... please excuse my bluntness... Sorry Jeanne

OG >> Hey - I thought the story was clever, humorous and well written. But I can see why Jeff found it offensive and was upset.

Really?  Because, THAT (rocking his vulgar little world) was one of the intents of the post. (exposing truth through humor being the other).

Jeff M was being a troll (and as you leftist constantly say "a bully") in previous posts... pushing, pushing, and pushing... This is a free forum and it's allowed so I dealt with it the way I've always dealt with pricks like him, by (figuratively) knocking him on his ass.  I'm proud of it.  I'd do it again.  It was the right thing to do.

OG >> Sometimes, just because something is amusing or good in many ways it is still not acceptable.

Acceptable meaning what exactly?  Did I break a WB rule?  To be honest, I don’t even know if there are any.  I never got any from Autumn.  This seems pretty wild west to me.  So, I’ve played by the “rules” I’ve seen everybody else follow.  Giving Jeff M a massive dose of his own medicine (minus the brainless vulgarity) was just, called for, and very satisfying.

Let me give you a refresher...

"Seems going along to get along isn't just for sorry-assed Texicans or suckers from South Africa. Of course, Nazi Tom Purell..." - Jeff Mitchka

"Got a feeling ol Bully boy Lynn found somewhere isolated enough he can beat his wife and kids without fear of anyone turning him in.  That's the one thing the Trumpist neighbor forgot when he smacked his wife publicly.  Someone did the right thing and turned him in." -- Jeff Mitchka

"So, in absence of any denial, you beat your wife and kids.  That rural Texan life has so much to offer a scumbag like LJ." - Jeff Mitchka

"and trying to make yourself sound like something other than the fascist dog you seem to be" -- Jeff Mitchka

"You are really a newby tone cop, if not a racist and fascist you appear to be." -- Jeff Mitchka

"Jeff the pedophile sanders and lies and slanders and lies some more. Pathetic. Is that the best you can do you burnt out has-been?-Yeah! Get rid of those trolls!!!" -- Jeff Mitchka

"...hearing from a local Trumpeter expressing the need to kill all "these muslims and mexicans" flooding into the country. While defending his son over more bullying of local latinos. There's no hope for Trumpists.  When you read Lynn's screed: “It's guys like me and Leroy that need to be worried (and armed and vigilant)." PERHAPS YOU CAN BETTER UNDERSTAND MY POINT.  iT'S GUYS LIKE LYNN AND Leroy who would love to gun down minorities, given even a small chance." -- Jeff Mitchka

This isn't half of it and not even close to the vilest (which I deleted).

Some %&*less piece of %$^* says I'm a racist and fascist and that I want to gun down people... I take it personally... I reply... and in a way that gets the little %$^*s attention.

And anybody who thinks that's ME being the "bully" can kiss my ass.

OG >> In hindsight I do not think that a post like this is right. It hurts people and that's simply not funny.

You have decided that THIS post does that (hurts people, specifically Jeff) ... but again, Jeff's crap doesn't?  You've lost your $^%*ing mind!  You think I hurt Jeff’s feelings?  Good!

OG >> I think that there are better ways to deal with trolls.

Really?  In this environment?  Enlighten me.  Besides ignoring the little %$^*, name one.  Because, other than Michael Cikraji, I don't see a lot of people stepping up to that plate on that issue.

Lynn Johnson Added Nov 9, 2017 - 6:38pm
OG >> There are a number of people on this site that have been very personally abusive but John G was probably the biggest troll on my threads. He was exceptionally rude and arrogant. Though I still appreciated some of his perspective.

And the JM crap above does not fit your definition of "rude and arrogant"?  What would you call it?  "Civil"?  "Insightful"?  "Though provoking"?  “Vintage @sshole”?

John G is beside the point; one prick gone (for now) is immaterial to the prick at hand; except for the point that it’s nice to have 50% less pricks.

OG >> Surely the main object of this site is to interact with people who have greatly different views?  [And] to try to do that civilly?

You have got to be $^%*ing kidding me. (see JM quotes above)

You and I (OG) have had some heated discussion here.  Have I ever said anything to you even remotely approaching the repeated Jeff M crap above?  Dr. Green?  Anybody?

OG >> I don't think it's right to abuse people - even in humor.

You have got to be $^%&*ing kidding me. (see JM quotes above)

I would encourage you to re-reevaluate.  Sorry for the bluntness…
opher goodwin Added Nov 9, 2017 - 7:12pm
Lyn - I don't know what crap Jeff has come out with or how abusive it was. I do not condone or exonerate.
Acceptable is a social rule of etiquette between people. To mock or abuse someone is in my opinion unethical. Now I know you would see it as retaliatory and I know I am guilty in the past of retaliating to personal abuse from the likes of John G and one or two others. But I also know I shouldn't have done.
OK - I've read what Jeff said and it is abusive and I can't condone it.
Yes I can see from what Jeff has said how you would find it offensive and want to retaliate. I kinda think it is stooping down to his level. This thing escalates and never resolves anything.
Lyn - we've had some heated debates and have some different views but I have appreciated the interaction and I believe we conducted ourselves with decorum. That's what I think WB is about.
Jeff Michka Added Nov 9, 2017 - 7:52pm
So ol Lynn boy is just deleting my posts "because", respective of content.  So some of you are wrong about your new hero, Lynn boy, who, like I've said, is just another rightist noise, and thinks, with some reason, you folks are easy to bully into line.  Delete away, clown car occupant.
Jeff Michka Added Nov 9, 2017 - 7:58pm
I'll say it again: I stand by every word; would and will do it again if/when the circumstances call for it (Autumn willing).  It WAS the right thing to do!-So do I lynn boy.
Lynn Johnson Added Nov 9, 2017 - 8:04pm
Deleted the last one because it was more of the same (see examples above) ... vulgar personal attacks.  For example, if I called you a dick I would not fault you for deleting the comment.

Don't bother commenting on any of my posts Michka... even the ones where you are the subject.
Leroy Added Nov 9, 2017 - 8:25pm
"But... you (OG) have now decided that THIS post crossed a line... but the %^$# spewing constantly from Jeff M hasn't?  With all due respect, OG, you have lost your $^%&*ing mind!"

Lynn, we all know that those on the left have thin skin and we must be sensitive to their feelings.  So maybe we should lighten up, lock arms around the campfire, and sing Kumbaya.

After decades of abuse, conservatives have thicker skins.  We are expected to take a licking and keep on ticking.  It is our lot in life, our curse for being responsible.  In this Wild West shot out, our liberal friends fire live rounds while they only allow us blanks.
Leroy Added Nov 9, 2017 - 8:26pm
"To mock or abuse someone is in my opinion unethical."

Unless it is Trump, of course.
opher goodwin Added Nov 10, 2017 - 5:20am
Leroy - I did not say that Jeff had not crossed that line. His responses to Lynn were well out of order. But two wrongs don't make a right. I enjoyed Lyn's post. I thought it was well written and very humorous. I just don't know if ridiculing people is the correct thing to do.
Leroy Added Nov 10, 2017 - 8:09am
Opher, I believe humor and ridicule are great weapons.  It's unfortunate that we don't make better use of it.  In fact, in our PC world, we go out of our way to avoid offending or embarrassing someone.  We give up our most powerful weapon.  Trump, to his credit, uses it skillfully.
Lynn Johnson Added Nov 10, 2017 - 9:46am
Leroy >> Opher, I believe humor and ridicule are great weapons...

I agree, Leroy... humor is indeed a weapon/tool in the marketplace of ideas (ridicule a specialization of humor).  It is one that has been used since the dawn of debate; and one I have particularly honed over the years.

Asinine personal attacks are also a weapon/tool; not my forte but definitely adopted and honed by others.  Maybe it’s just personal preference, but I would much prefer someone use humor (even to the point of ridicule).  At least even if I disagree I might get a good laugh.

I do like that in WB… neither are off the table.  Removing both (especially humor) would make any discussion board, much too serious and boring.

As for the merits/effectiveness of the humor weapon, we may have a good example of that here.  Michael Cikraji's original article was a very good, calm, and well-reasoned attempt to discuss the problem of trolls; and it received its fair share of comments.

This article used humor and ridicule concerning the same subject AND seems to have thrown a grenade in the middle of the WB community.  One can argue if the grenade was needed, effective, or appropriate ... but at least it did wake people up to the issue, whereas before they were content to ignore it and move along.

Leroy >> Trump, to his credit, uses it skillfully.

You are right about that.  The President has mastered the art form.  When he's hammering your guy... he's a creep. (From personal experience in the primaries.)  When he's hammering your opposition... he’s brilliant.

Even a rabid Trump hater can acknowledge the skill and results it has produced.

Lynn Johnson Added Nov 10, 2017 - 9:52am
OG >> Trump is fair game. Anyone who puts themselves in public office is there to be shot at (metaphorically).

Agreed... ALL public officials are fair game. It's just that a little less hysterics and a little more rational intellectual honesty would be nice. Absent that... howl away. :)

opher goodwin Added Nov 10, 2017 - 10:09am
Leroy - I would agree with you. Humour can be a great weapon. My only concern is where something crosses to become something else.
Simply Jews Added Nov 10, 2017 - 10:16am
That howling scene is hilarious, albeit too long. 44 minutes is more than one could handle ;-)
Jeff Michka Added Nov 10, 2017 - 4:23pm
Hey, Leroy, you said: we all know that those on the left have thin skin and we must be sensitive to their feelings.-Then why do rightist scream like stuck pigs when tables are turned?  Seems the rightists in question here have condom thin skin.  I've admired your ability to roll with the punches, but the rightists new friend "Lynn" has a problem with that.