Stupidity of This Music

As I walk down the streets of Miami (and any other cities) I hear young people of all races listening to rap, or what I assume is rap.  Can this music be anymore stupid?  Singers "rapping" in what is butchered English.  Talking about everything negative in the most negative form.  Most of it is just plain old cussing.  How can this music do anything but erode one's brain and emotional balance.  Its oral crack for the brain.

Compare that to Motown.  Or even better was the music of the Temptations, Rare Earth or The Fifth Dimension in the late 60s and early 70s.  That was music, and inspirational.

No wonder today we have so much violence and never ending generational poverty.  Being a total loser moron is considered in vogue.  Its not just encouraged, its celebrated.  Some idiot that can't talk in the most basic of English and spews out hate and dumbness is being actually paid what I assume is good money to do so.  Even animals probably have no desire to listen to this gibberish.

We can safely assume that as long as young people from poor origins actually listen to this crap they will remain poor over their dissatisfying and destructive life.

Comments

Stone-Eater Friedli Added Nov 8, 2017 - 1:04pm
George

I don't know much about American rap, but here in Europe we have a lot of good lyrics, socio-critical texts and even poems in rap, not only primitive macho shit for a below 80 IQ audience.
Tubularsock Added Nov 8, 2017 - 1:29pm
George, you are a funny fellow. Tubularsock likes music in all its forms. Sure, some tunes are better than others but most music takes some time to understand.

I’m sure you will remember when Elvis was controversial and “shocking”. Well now, times changed and we all didn’t run off and become sexual perverts because of Elvis’s suggestive songs and movements.

And even going way back to Bing. Great voice but listen to those lyrics. Most based on false premises which presented false reality to those who listened and attempted to go out into the world and practice them.

As Stone stated, “but here in Europe we have a lot of good lyrics, socio-critical texts and even poems”, and that is also true here in the U.S. but one has to listen and discern.

So George, you have Tubularsock’s permission to kick back, light a fatty, and groove the rest of today. You need the rest. Cheers!
Dave Volek Added Nov 8, 2017 - 2:18pm
George
Have you ever tried to rap? Well, I haven't. But for someone who is a much better writer than speaker, I have to appreciate the talent and lots of practice that goes into blurting out those syllables in rapid succession and tell some kind of story.

I think your main objection is many of the lyrics associated with rap music. I find it ironic that many rap stars make their millions telling their fans to be losers. The fault is not in the style of music, but the intent behind the music. I have heard some amateur rappers belt out a great social message.

And I have heard too many C&W songs about getting drunk or having sex with strangers. We, the people, should probably not give our hard earned money to these artists.
opher goodwin Added Nov 8, 2017 - 3:44pm
George - much rap (not greatly to my taste) is extremely poetic, expressive and socially concerned. I think it's good that kids are getting into words. The negative side is the misogyny and violence.
James E. Unekis Added Nov 8, 2017 - 3:46pm
I couldn't afford the stereo I wanted as a young man but that changed in my 40's.  I actually listen to music now on an Adcom system with Polk's old SDA series and I hear every note and feel the beat.  This was a $6,000.00 setup in the 90's.

You can't explain "...the Temptations, Rare Earth, The Fifth Dimension in the late 60s and early 70s" that you refer to.  You have to really listen to it.

Try "Corrine Bailey Rae's "Put your records on" on the best stereo you can find - or - at least have no distractions when you listen to her on earphones.  Then look her up on Youtube Live in London and watch the same song being performed.

What initially sounded like a singer, bass and drums expands to be a full orchestra.

You can't tell the difference between a cheap wine and a fine wine when all you are doing is guzzling it to get drunk.  Try sipping and focusing on flavors.  So it is with music.

Maybe,then, you will notice George's preferences in music.

Michael B. Added Nov 8, 2017 - 9:50pm
You mean, Crap music? I agree, most of it is pretty fucking annoying, but I gotta admit some of it is pretty fucking funny. To me, the late, great Frank Zappa was the first rapper. I'll have to check and see if "Dyna-Moe-Hum" from Overnight Sensation has been covered and/or augmented, lol.
Leroy Added Nov 9, 2017 - 5:38am
Rap is one of the greatest exports of American culture.  You can hear it everywhere these days.  Honestly, I don't think the youth like it as evidenced by so many of them gravitating towards the music of the 70s and 80s.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Nov 9, 2017 - 6:04am
Leroy

To the history of rap:

Thousands of years ago in Africa “griots”, where village story tellers who played basic handmade instruments while they told stories of their family and local current events. This style of talking while music is playing is rap music as we know it at its root form. The griot is still a major form of communication in Africa still to this day.

My wife is a "griot" by family heritage, although in her family that tradition is forbidden, because the clan chief has the opinion that nowadays the griots don't respect that old tradition anymore and just sing whatever crap to a paying audience...

Stone-Eater Friedli Added Nov 9, 2017 - 6:07am
BTW: The griots (or djeli in the local language Bambara) were also political counsellors for the clan chief and preserved the oral history of that part of Africa since there was no written language. They were the first historians in Africa.
wsucram15 Added Nov 9, 2017 - 7:43am
Frank Zappa was  an fluent "rapper" as were others in earlier music.  In fact, rap and "like" music started in the 70s that I am aware on a modern scale.  But it was again..more of a funky talk type thing. The 80s revised rap...I believe in Philly and NY.    I know I saw my first show at the end of the 80s, in Philadelphia.
Rap is alright and there are some bands that sound alright doing that...I like earlier bands that were speaking about social injustices.
I have no idea what anyone is talking about now and I rarely listen.  I dont care for much mainstream music.  But some of the underground stuff I have heard in rap..kind of reminds me of punk when it was really raw.  Melodic, catchy and very angry.
wsucram15 Added Nov 9, 2017 - 8:00am
George I have told you about this before...I know I have. There is a band called immortal techniques, they rap.  I dont recall the song but a few years ago..I was bitching to the boys in the bad about all this crazy crap they made me listen to.
So they had me listen to this song.  It was about a young man who wanted to be in this gang and what he had to to to join.  Now you know to be in a "gang" you have to usually kill someone.   But in this instance he was lead to a roof and told to beat a hooded woman and rape her in order to join. He did not want to hurt her, but he did ultimately do it in order to join, as he had gone this far. When he was done they pulled off the hood...
It was his mother...they killed her.  Not him the gang did, in front of him.
Its a true story.
Horrific story..and I believe he wrote it in jail.  Ive never seen them..but some rap has meaning and is often a glimpse into a world WE will never know because we are white and middle class.
That was an anti-gang song..btw
I dont think all the rap songs have meaning like that, but many do.  What you heard is the top 40 stuff.
Bill H. Added Nov 9, 2017 - 10:39am
I actually find some of the "old school" rap by Snoop Dog and Dr. Dre pretty catchy. My wife can't handle some of the lyrics, but me and some of my other fishing buddies in our late '60s can always be found bumping down the highway enroute to our favorite fishing spots blasting some Snoop or Dre, along with the Doors, Hendrix, and Pink Floyd.
Rollin in my '64, hell yeeeeah!
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Nov 9, 2017 - 10:53am
Bill

Right on :)

wsucram15 Added Nov 9, 2017 - 12:03pm
Dre is one of the best, his stuff with Snoop Dog is great.  I still like NWA..its rough.. but it had a point.  My favorite is Beastie Boys by far and then Eminem. A lot of people dont like him..I dont care.  He is the most sarcastic rapper I have ever heard.  Once he got personal though..sincerely personal..I liked his stuff less.
I liked Tupac, Common, Cypress Hill and Run DMC. I liked both Ice Cube and Ice Tea solo..both were sarcastic as hell.  Ice Tea got somewhat DARK after awhile and I could not listen to him anymore though.
I never got to see Tupac.  But did see NWA , Cypress Hill, Eminem, Beasties 2x and Ice Cube.  Interestingly enough, none of the crowds were all black.  Mostly white people...

Stone-Eater Friedli Added Nov 9, 2017 - 12:19pm
Some Rap ... sort of .... that Americans don't know to a 100%.

Stromae - Papaoutai (Belgium)

Cro - Einmal um die Welt (Germany)

Brandhärd - Noochbrand (Switzerland)

Ma quale idea - Pino d'Angio (Italy)

Have fun :-)
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Nov 9, 2017 - 12:22pm
BTW: You might notice that Stromae has African influence, Cro has German techno influence, Brandhärd is rather US-oriented in Rhythm and Pino is just - cool LOL
Bill Kamps Added Nov 9, 2017 - 1:36pm
George you are just showing your age.  People in the 60s thought rock was a fad, very noisy, and couldnt understand how it could be better than Sinatra.  People like best what they grow up with, and often dont like styles that come later.

While many think that rap was invented in the late 70s, the first song of the Music Man, "Rock Island" was clearly a rap song, and shows the genius of Meredith Wilson given the many different styles in that musical.
Bill H. Added Nov 9, 2017 - 2:51pm

I'm an analog man, and I can't stand music that has any hint of digital sound or voice tuning. Other than the vehicle system, I prefer my music to be amplified by a nice matched pair of Gold Lion KT66 tubes driven by an a vintage British Mullard CV4004/M187/ECC83 box plate preamp tube.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Nov 9, 2017 - 3:25pm

Not all. Friends of my age can't understand how I can prefer 2000's Progressive Metal to Deep Purple and other stuff I grew up with ;-)
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Nov 9, 2017 - 3:27pm
BTW: You know why ? Because after 40 years of "Smoke on the water" (example) one HAS to be fed up with it !
Bill Kamps Added Nov 9, 2017 - 3:32pm
Stone - funny.  I was tired of SOTW after a couple of years :)
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Nov 9, 2017 - 3:36pm
Me too. Punk swept it away LOL
Anthony Alafero Added Nov 9, 2017 - 3:40pm
The left has been corrupting the natural order for years. They like to call it progress but putting the losers on a pedestal while denigrating the hard working who have succeeded is a fools errand. The criminals are the bad guys, not the cops. People who put zero effort into life fail and they don't fail because they are oppressed. Most Americans who succeed, do not do so because they are privileged.
Bill H. Added Nov 9, 2017 - 6:21pm
Anthony - This is a post about music, not politics (as I am refreshed to see an non-political post once in a while). Did you mean this as a response to another post, or are you trying to politicize this one?
"We don't need no stinkin labels here!"
wsucram15 Added Nov 9, 2017 - 6:32pm
Anthony..this is a talk about music..take the political shit somewhere else.
Im a liberal and I dont corrupt anything. But I do believe in free speech and art.   Im sorry you cannot appreciate things that go outside your realm of thinking, but this is what art is...
Not every person who has ever succeeded i life started out with a golden spoon either...
Jeffry Gilbert Added Nov 10, 2017 - 2:06am
George, this prompted a recollection. Some forty five plus years ago I was playing some Stones a little loud and my mother told me to "turn that shit down"!!!!! I did, then yelled down that when I got to be her age I would like the music of the day.

Was I ever clueless.

Thanks for the memory.
Tubularsock Added Nov 10, 2017 - 2:38am
Anthony, Tubularsock has been so upset with that leftist Beethoven. He was really rather destructive and most of his rap was for the rich!

And lets not get into sob stories. The cops today and in Beethoven’s time were really poor on the violin.

But just a word of advice from Frank Zappa, “don’t eat the yellow snow”.
Jeffry Gilbert Added Nov 10, 2017 - 1:02pm
Tonight we're in the city, we stopped by one of our usual haunts where patrons choose and play the music. There was a 50's something white guy with a Commonwealth accent hogging the thing playing nothing but rap and hip hop. After an hour I wanted to kill someone and after two hours we had to leave or I would have.
Tubularsock Added Nov 10, 2017 - 1:26pm
Jeffry, Oh the influence of music ..... Tubularsock guesses that that old adage, "music soothes the savage beast" doesn't apply to everyone.

Glad you left so we didn't have to read about you in the tabloids!
Jeff Jackson Added Nov 10, 2017 - 8:56pm
George, in classrooms I will frequently demonstrate how simple it is to write rap lyrics, of course, with school-appropriate words. I've written rap lyrics in twenty minutes or less. Musicians are people who study things like time signatures, harmonies, and chord progressions. Rappers are not musicians. They are barely artists, only on the fringes of that definition. They might be entertainers, but even that's a stretch.
Tubularsock Added Nov 11, 2017 - 11:59am
Far be it for Tubularsock to defend all rap music but it does provide another voice and another view point with a force introduced into the public square.

It is just poetry with a punch!

And some of it is rather fun. To each his own.
Ric Wells Added Nov 12, 2017 - 12:42am
Sorry George but he more you post the more narrow minded to seem to become. Rap has been around for centuries but in many different forms. Modern day versions are an expression of one's feelings and creativity. I beg to wonder if yo have heard Jimmy Page and then Puff Daddy on SNL doing a rap version of Zeppelin's Kashmir. Or Arrowsmith who I think it was Public Enemy recording Walk this Way which revitalized Arrowsmith's career. Prince and his use of rap in many of his songs. A3, Johnny Cash, Will Smith, Mark Wahlburg and so many more. Even Disney has utilized Rap in their movies. Take for example the movie Million Dollar Arm which utilizes Indian rap as in the country India with full orchestration. Completely innovative. While it seems the style of rap you are referring to in what was once called Gangsta Rap you are limiting yourself and your critique to one style of rap and throwing the whole genre under the bus. One usually does not nor I dare say cannot like all styles of music in a certain style but there are benefits to and and all styles. I ask that you open your mind to the thinker you once were and stop being the crotchety old man sitting in a rocking chair on the porch having disdain for the human race.
Jeffry Gilbert Added Nov 12, 2017 - 3:15am
does provide another voice and another view point with a force

Albeit one that is ultimately counter to the interests of those it targeted.

Retch worthy.
Tubularsock Added Nov 12, 2017 - 11:18am
“One had the painful refrain: " I'm a millionaire, now I want to be a billionaire".” isn’t that part of our national anthem?

Tubularsock could be wrong but that is what Trump brags about and the deplorables lap it up!

Jeffry there are a lot of rap lyrics that are not good for much but just because one strawberry is rotten isn’t cause to burn down the entire field.

Recent Articles by Writers George N Romey follows.