The Lives of the Rich and Famous

Its always been good to be rich but the past couple of decades in the United States has especially been hot times.  In the 2008/2009 the Federal Reserve and Treasury Department headed by your friends Bernanke and Paulson, respectively, made sure you were made whole very quickly.  Then they printed, well technically digitized trillions upon trillions to really make life sweet again.  Its like those tough six months in late 2008 and early 2009 never really happened.

Since then you have benefited greatly, taking about 95% of the economic gains.  Near free money and endless "monetizing" from the Federal Reserve has made you rich beyond belief.  In the interim you've seen one now two clueless Presidents, and a Congress and Senate do exactly what you wanted them to do, not a damn thing. This past election was quite entertainment watching two thieves with the popularity of house mice duke it out for the masses.  Either way the masses would lose and you would win, and win big.

You also have kept all of your tax loopholes.  You chuckle when you hear about tax reform.  You like paying a lower tax rate than the man who collects your garbage, whomever that might be.

The endless wars have also been a boom.  Your defense stocks are healthy and the future looks bright.  Since the Pentagon got rid of that pesky draft no chance your sons, daughters or grandchildren will ever serve.  Yes they are safely tucked away at their luxurious dorm (of off campus condo) at Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc.  And when they graduate their six figure job will be all lined up for them.  No combing through LinkedIn and Indeed for them.  Hell, maybe they will get to socialize with Chelsea Clinton or one of Trump's kids.

You really like the political environment.  The politicians do what you've paid them to do, not a damn thing.  This baked up Russia thing is on par with putting a bullet in Kennedy's brain we he got the idea of doing away with the Fed or ending the Cold War.  What was Kennedy thinking?  Yes the CIA can really be ingenious when it comes to protecting the cream of the crop.

Yes, life's pretty good you say.  You just don't understand all of these whinny Americans.  If only they went to a Ivy League school and had connections.  Doesn't everybody you know do?  What possessed them to want to be something like a teacher or firefighter?  What total losers.  Don't they realize how much money can be made on Wall Street ripping people off?

Well you're a tad worried about the future.  How long can Central Banks continue to prop up ginned up equity and bond markets?  Yeah the DOW is headed towards 25,000 and higher but you are concerned what happens if the bankers lose control?  After all they aren't very bright to begin with.  And what about a real war?

So you've bought some hard assets.  You've also taken some of your millions and purchased a small island or a bunker.  Yeah if 1929 and worse comes along you're you go hide there for a few years, maybe five. Plenty of good food and a state of the art entertainment system with a library of every film and television show ever made.  Of course the cars and yachts will probably be destroyed, but hey you can't have everything in life.

Comments

Even A Broken Clock Added Nov 13, 2017 - 11:11am
George, I hope you are a really bad predictor of the future, but I fear that your predictions may come true.
Katharine Otto Added Nov 13, 2017 - 2:01pm
George,
But if everybody else is dead, how will you get your fancy food?  You may have to grow your own tomatoes.  Of course, the help will have quit, because you can give them worthless money but no food.

George N Romey Added Nov 13, 2017 - 2:39pm
Dino Manalis Added Nov 13, 2017 - 7:17pm
We all need pro-growth policies to improve economic conditions for all of us.
Jeff Michka Added Nov 13, 2017 - 7:27pm
Geo R, Mr. FEMA, SEZ: Katharine one thing about the elites they never think in common sense terms. That’s not on the syllabus at Harvard or Yale.-they are, apparently, also not thinking about hiring you.  More "Gloom 'n Doom, no solutions" VINTAGE Geo,  need to have more people saying "You are so right, Geo" or he'll be unhappy.  Gee you have told us how things are for you down in Puerto Rico...care to?
Katharine Otto Added Nov 13, 2017 - 8:57pm
George,
Financial collapse could abolish the distinction between rich and poor.  I'd like to believe people aren't so gullible anymore.  Lots of people took a beating in 2007-8, and maybe they've wised up, some of them.  Try to imagine a brighter future.  You give the elites too much credit and give your own power away in doing so.
Katharine Otto Added Nov 13, 2017 - 9:04pm
Now Jeff,
How's about go easier on George.  He's a good guy who feels betrayed by a system he believed in.  I feel betrayed, too, as many others also do.

It's hard to feel much compassion for the billions-in-hoarded wealth set.  Reading The House of Morgan is showing me just how cut-throat the bankers have become, and the elite/government/banker collaborations have played regular people for fools.  I, for one, don't like being played for a fool, especially knowing it continues, and I can't do anything to stop it.
Michael B. Added Nov 14, 2017 - 12:16am
A classic Dead Kennedys song, "Kill the Poor", is the soundtrack to this post:

Stone-Eater Friedli Added Nov 14, 2017 - 2:36am
George

I'm rich, because I'm not famous. Means I can go anywhere without any idiot trying to get a selfie or a snapshit of me, and no tabloid will ever harass me :-)

Kind of freedom.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Nov 14, 2017 - 2:38am
Katharine

Believing in a system is only possible when one doesn't know how humans function ;-)
Jeff Jackson Added Nov 14, 2017 - 6:09am
What was once a land of opportunity has become a land of privileged  elites and working poor. Most of the American population left their homes because they stood no chance of making anything in their home country. Now there is nowhere to go.
George N Romey Added Nov 14, 2017 - 6:37am
Jeff that might be the irony. Our ancestors came here for the opportunity of a better life only for a successive generation not to obtain it,
Leroy Added Nov 14, 2017 - 7:58am
"You like paying a lower tax rate than the man who collects your garbage, whomever that might be."

George, you are a little hard on the rich.  IIRC, the top 20% pay 95% of the taxes.  Chances are, the guy who collects the garbage pays no taxes.

"And what happens if the plumbing breaks in your house with the gold faucets?  Can your spouse fix a flooding toilet?"

Thanks for reminding me, Katharine.  I need to buy my wife a good toolkit and a lawnmower blade for Christmas.
Michael Cikraji Added Nov 14, 2017 - 8:01am
George,
You always bring up issues, but seldom offer viable solutions. I think it's high time you run for office my friend. Don't like the situation we're in? Well, go out and change it! Just sitting around and whining about it isn't going to help anyone. If anything it'll just help make things worse.

George, I don't always agree with you, but you seem smart and honest, and if given the chance I'd vote for you! Please answer this question, George:

WHY DON'T YOU RUN FOR POLITICAL OFFICE????
George N Romey Added Nov 14, 2017 - 11:35am
Michael the system is too forgone to fix.  There are no viable solutions other than a total fail and rebuild.  But the rebuild might even be worse.  As I said before those that caused 1929 like Joe Kennedy profited from the crash.  I wouldn't run for office because I could never make a difference under this paradigm.
Dave Volek Added Nov 14, 2017 - 1:17pm
Leroy

I'll just do some quick math to prove a point.

The $200,000 income earner pays about $60,000 a year. 1% of Canadians belong in this category.

If we have 100 Canadians, one is paying $60,000 in income taxes. The other 99 are paying $1,485,000 in income taxes. Now who is really footing the bill?

And, I should add, many of those $200,000 income earners have some tools to legally reduce their taxes by another $10,000.

I could spend a couple of hours to give you more accurate figures and calculations, but the conclusion would be the same. High income earners are not filling most of the national treasuries. This myth needs serious debunking.

Dave Volek Added Nov 14, 2017 - 1:19pm
George
Well written article!

Dave Volek Added Nov 14, 2017 - 1:27pm
Michael

The system (sometimes called THE DEEP STATE) has convinced people like George that there is no solution. So it lets the complaining to continue, knowing full well not much is going to change. Whatever nefarious and nebulous powers inhabit the system get to keep things the way they are.

This feeling of helplessness is so ingrained that when someone with a new idea of governance comes along--one that could give power to the people, that person is also ignored.

George N Romey Added Nov 14, 2017 - 1:43pm
Dave the system has been rigged so that ordinary people can't fix it in favor of themselves.  Go back to the Powell Memo in the early 70s.  Essentially it said if the elite take control of government then control of the teachings in business schools the elite will take over their just "fair share" and the masses will never get back what they had.  (Never mind the elites did damn well when the middle class was at its zenith in the late 60s and early 70s).  Business schools teach the primary, and really only, job of executive management is to "enhance shareholder value.'  Translation increasing profits each and every quarter, damn everything else.  So being a stable source of good employment and positive economic force in communities went out the window.  Remember prior to the 1980s business was apolitical.

Rigged systems are fixed such that reform is impossible.  The system needs to be destroyed but as history has shown sometimes what comes after the revolution is far worse.  The US was the exception to the rule that what we got after the Revolutionary War was better than colonialism under England.

The elites will never allow your system of democratic rule to exist.  As they have shown they have no reservation with mass killings to get what they want.
Katharine Otto Added Nov 14, 2017 - 2:21pm
Leroy,
Please don't tell your wife your Christmas present idea originated with me.
Katharine Otto Added Nov 14, 2017 - 2:28pm
Michael Cikraji,
Running for office has its advantages.  I'm told that even if you lose, you get to keep leftover campaign donations.  Otherwise, I agree with George in that when you become part of the system, you are owned by it, so any noble ideals going in get twisted to serve the machine.

I empathize with the whiners, because I'm one, too.  We all seem to agree that something is drastically wrong, but we don't know what to do about it.  At least most of us can afford food and computers to share our disgruntlement.  Maybe something truly creative and forward-going will come out of this.
mark henry smith Added Nov 14, 2017 - 2:28pm
I have to disagree with the general tone of this piece and these comments and agree with Stone.

George and all of you have read about my life in the last five years plus and I have done my best to present my situation honestly and thoroughly. What an adventure it's been for this staid Main Line boy. I've slept at train stations, wander in the wee hours, listened to the taunts and insults of my family predicting with the regularity of a Kookoo clock my imminent demise if I didn't follow their bureaucratic designs.

Not only did I survive, I'm healthier than I've been in my entire life, never having taken one dime from the state, relying on the kindness of private citizens whom I impressed with my indelible spirit despite the terrible accusations and rumors that swirled around me, they took a chance and gave me succor from the fear of exposure as winter approached.

I learned something vital to a happy life in this time of growth under fire, fuck the bureaucracy in the US. Ours is different than the rest of the world. It's a succubus offering relief but is a sick and twisted demon. I'm not saying that the intentions are wrong, this desire to help the unfortunate, but the way we make everything an issue of trust, all relief coming with if only legal arrangements worthy of marriages are satisfied, terms and conditions that patronize the poor and rob an individual of his soul.

It could all be done with one card, the big ones, healthcare, food aid, education, and all of these services could be provided inside the educational structure. Emergency shelter for homeless could not be in the schools because we don't trust adults with kids anymore, so this would be something attached to our public libraries with separate facilities for women and children, the bulk for men.

Why our bureaucracy works so poorly is simple. Powerful people want it that way.
Katharine Otto Added Nov 14, 2017 - 2:36pm
George,
Sounds like the business schools are fixated on the corporate model, where there is no human accountability.  Even the CEOs are at risk if profits go down.

I think of corporations as blobs of undifferentiated humanity, rewarding conformity and discouraging creativity.  Publicly traded corporations seem to get more from stock churning than actual products or services these days.  They keep investors hooked through dividends, and they cut corners wherever possible to show pretend growth and profitability.  They also seem to depend heavily on government contracts.  The veneer is wearing thin, though, as you seem to know.
mark henry smith Added Nov 14, 2017 - 2:48pm
Sorry, I never got to my point.

My point is that I'm the wealthiest person I know based on the choices I get to make with my life right now. I have become completely free for the first time in my life, free to behave, eat, sleep, write, say, do anything I want every day when I wake up. If you say I can't afford to stay in the penthouse of the Waldorf Histeria, you're right and I have absolutely no desire to, but if perchance a rich friend had an extra room, why not?

That's how I live, not tied this insane schedule that is being set for us. Not tied to a belief in my worth beyond the freedom to have a clear mind with which to begin a process of improvement in this country, a movement that won't curb the size of government much, but will change the face of it. I will work to get the sneer out of government, the sneer put there by private interests using government as an excuse for the shoddy work and embezzlement that has become the pattern in public-private partnerships.

Thank you George. I think an awful lot of people on the right and the left need to eat big helpings of humble pie and learn to recognize that the purpose of government isn't not to make mistakes, it's for us to know that when it makes mistakes it's doing it for a good cause. We have had a government committed to so many bad causes lately.

Religion, ideology, race, ethnicity, team allegiance, none of these should ever be a reason for denying a fellow citizen public services. Government should be blind to all considerations except those expressly stated in the constitution.

Darn, I start off thinking I'm on the outside looking in and then I'm right in with the rest of you.
mark henry smith Added Nov 14, 2017 - 2:55pm
I am seeing so much terrible road work around here lately. As if they don't even have to try.
Leroy Added Nov 14, 2017 - 3:50pm
"Please don't tell your wife your Christmas present idea originated with me."

Believe me, Katharine; I was only kidding.  My wife would be clueless to use either one.  She comes from a place where the labor is cheap and you just hire someone to do whatever you need.  Do-it-yourself is a foreign concept to her.  I don't she could even identify the lawnmower.

Dave Volek Added Nov 14, 2017 - 3:58pm
George

There is no revolution with the TDG. The TDG only needs 1% of the population to start building it (maybe less). It will not be noticed for several years, so these early builders can proceed unfettered. Slowly it will gain more credibility, and some will see it as an acceptable replacement for western democracy.

At this point, it will be noticed. For sure, various critics will hurl their insults at it, but the early builders will persevere. More people will join.

I'm not certain the government will want to stop the TDG--as there are all sorts of checks-and-balances to prevent this (for example, Mr Trump is not getting his way as president). If there are a few court orders and a few people thrown in jail, this will bring more attention to the TDG than the government would want.

In time, there will be a TDG friendly political party that will enact the citizen referendum and a big bill to change the electoral laws of the nation. People will voting for their neighbors, not party hacks.

Everything is explained in much better detail in Chapter 6.

-------------------

You have a choice. You can continue to write articles that accomplish very little to remedy your vision of no hope. Or you can spend three hours reading about the TDG. Maybe there is something there that can give you hope.

If you continue bypassing my requests to read my book, then I would say that THE DEEP STATE has you exactly where it wants you to be. You are a minion of THE DEEP STATE; you just haven't realized it.

Leroy Added Nov 14, 2017 - 4:24pm
"Average income in Canada is about $65,000 a year. These people pay about $15,000 in income tax."

If you earn $65,000 a year in the US, you are solidly in the top 20%.
Jeff Michka Added Nov 14, 2017 - 5:07pm
DV sez: George.  You claim there is no hope, yet you have spent many hours writing interesting articles for Writers' Beat painting this picture of no hope.-Ah!! Well Dave, you'll probably be called a troll, and Geo won't answer.  The cycle of Geo whining/do nothing is his way of getting sympathy so folks here will tell him how "right" he is. AND: The system (sometimes called THE DEEP STATE) has convinced people like George that there is no solution. So it lets the complaining to continue, knowing full well not much is going to change.-That's okay to Geo.  He wants a war that will cause the draft to kick in so that people over 50 will get the jobs of dead kids, killed in service. Geo also wrote an article beating his chest about working to rebuild in Florida, but the disaster of the hurricanes could, according to Geo, lead to a nice six-figure job rebuilding Puerto Rico.  So, really, the only motivator for change or doing ANYTHING, in Geo's mind, are "jobs for Geo."  Geo would have a hard time as an agent for any change since it's always about Geo.  WBers have coddled Geo, never asked any hard question of him, and Geo was "annointed" recently on WB for "2nd most commented", even though he comments mostly to himself.   Personally, the whole "Geo scape" is a fraud in my mind.  He's quite content to just have people say how correct he is.  Solve anything?  Nope.
Jeff Michka Added Nov 14, 2017 - 5:09pm
You are a minion of THE DEEP STATE; you just haven't realized it.-Yup...and he called me a sheep?  Must have been a real reflection in the mirror.
George N Romey Added Nov 14, 2017 - 7:40pm
Dave you assume the US is a Democracy.  Clearly it isn't or we would have President Sanders.  Trump was a fluke.  He was such a blowhard basketcase none of the Deep State took him seriously, until it was too late.  Now you see how they are trying to get rid of him.  They will never make a Trump mistake again.  Whether its 1% of the voters or 75%, if a movement isn't within what the Deep State wants its never going to happen with our two party system.   And third parties are effectively kept out.
opher goodwin Added Nov 15, 2017 - 5:57am
George - that's exactly the size of it. The sentence that struck me most was - You like paying a lower tax rate than the man who collects your garbage, whomever that might be.
That sums up the selfish greed. I hope the whole lot blows up in their grubby little smirking faces.
Phil Greenough Added Nov 15, 2017 - 8:28am
When one disagrees with every single word, where does one start?  I’ll start small, the rich were not made whole.  Rene-Thierry Magon de la Villehuchet was a billionaire that committed suicide following the Bernie Madoff scandal, was he made whole?  Lehman Brothers collapsed and with it many executive’s net worth was wiped away, were they made whole?  Patricia Klug was the owner of a 200-acre, 45-room estate.  In 2011, after investing heavily in the housing she found herself heavily in debt and had her estate foreclosed upon.  Donald Trump bought it from the bank for $6.2 million.  Was Patricia Klug made whole?

I’d like to know one rich person that was made whole by the government?
George N Romey Added Nov 15, 2017 - 10:30am
Phil most of those involved walked away millionaires.  Madoff ruined many people that were unsophisticated investors but some like the billionaire that committed suicide should have know better.  It was whispered constantly in the financial world that Madoff's ever positive return (never one negative quarter) were mathematically were impossible yet no one wanted to face the truth.  Likewise with the feeder funds that were providing Madoff with business. Chase Bank never, ever confirmed one trade, the transfer agent's job is to confirm every trade.

Ken Lewis walked away with a $40 million severance.  Fuld and Caynes/Greenberg of Bear Stearns also walked away with millions.  Most were selling their stock like crazy.  Read the book Confidence Men and stop watching Fox News.
George N Romey Added Nov 15, 2017 - 10:31am
And by the way.  You talk about Trump.  Madoff tried getting Trump to invest multiple times but even Trump figured out Madoff was a scam.
Dave Volek Added Nov 15, 2017 - 12:10pm
Jeff
I have been promoting my TDG for 17 years now. Along the way, I've gotten all sorts of reasons why it's not worth a three-hour read. Here are they are in a summarized format:

1. The system is actually working quite well.
2. The system only needs a little tinkering to work well.
3. The system can't change (George fits in here).
4. The system will change when voters get smarter.
5. More activism is the way to effect change.

I'm not a believer in anything like a DEEP STATE, with some kind of nebulous mastermind group ensuring its own dominance over society. Our society just sort of morphed into its current condition.

And part of this current condition is to accept one of the five above reasons. Our psyche has been wired not to consider any out-of-the-box ideas on democratic governance.

George N Romey Added Nov 15, 2017 - 1:46pm
Dave when a system is rigged no it can’t be changed. The Deep State is no official organization. Rather it’s a collection of wealthy individuals that influence the political system to their advantage even if it disadvantages the majority. The role of government is to rule for the masses but that isn’t happening.

Centuries ago the masses would rise up and chop off heads of the ruling elite which might bring temporary relief. Then a new batch of ruling elite would surface. Maybe the most benevolent time was that of Dowton Abbey fame. Sure those living downstairs lived in the shadows of those upstairs but at least the latter took care of the former.
Jeff Michka Added Nov 15, 2017 - 4:17pm
Dave Volek sez: I'm not a believer in anything like a DEEP STATE, with some kind of nebulous mastermind group ensuring its own dominance over society.-Congrats, Dave...you've not been beaten down and suckered like ol Geo and his ilk.  As you've noted, these folks have given it all away, then work overtime to convince others to "Surrender! It is useless!!" That seems to be a very, very big part of messaging from the Geo sector. "Prove us right by simply giving up."  Wow, such leadership and incite.  Now don't say anything "negative" about Geo and those in Geo space....they'll say they've been trolled, and will refuse to say they've really been called out as hypocrites shouting fire in a crowded theatre that's just been included in a napalm strike.  It's easier to whine and cry than work for change you believe in.
Jeff Michka Added Nov 15, 2017 - 4:20pm
Geo Romey writes: Maybe the most benevolent time was that of Dowton Abbey fame.-If you think that for a moment, you clearly know nothing of Edwardian England.  I guess it's all nostalgia, in your case Geo, but life was pretty hard in Edwardian England, and in the US at the same time, there were few options for "just folks".
Flying Junior Added Nov 16, 2017 - 1:38am
George is a consistent author of good reads.  He attracts an interesting cross-section of commenters here, which is fun.  It's also enjoyable to see a hardcore rightie take offense and counter George's premise with a lovely hymn to the suffering and pangs of the ruling class.  And now a moment of silence for the predatory lenders who were not bailed out by TARP.

I don't much buy into the Deep State thing.  It's a buzzword.  The system is a better appellation.  I have to cough when I read about anything being rigged.  If I had a dollar for every time Trump said something was rigged.  That's all that republicans do is look for more ways to rig elections.  I also balk at this entire notion of Sanders being edged out by Crooked Hillary and Wasserman-Schultz.  But there is nothing to be gained by debating it.

I subscribe to the deep shit theory.  With a maniac like Trump working with a republican congress, we are all in deep shit.

Finally it may not be necessary to find an island.  After all as Katherine pointed out, dry and canned foods really are not the fare the the rich have become accustomed to.  Water sources?  If you are to be among the surviving elite, why not buy land in Paraguay like the Bush family?  Look into Chile.  And make sure to bring some vines and grape seeds.
wsucram15 Added Nov 16, 2017 - 3:02am
For a change..I agree with Michael..
I think you should run for office.  You have the brains and skill mentally for it.  I really think you could do it.  2018 IS THE YEAR TO DO IT!
George N Romey Added Nov 16, 2017 - 7:39am
Jeanne I don’t have the temperament. I would piss off the status quo and be hounded by the media. I’d tell some useless corporate controlled reporter to F off. There isn’t much I admire about Trump but I give him great credit for how he handled and used the media. But I do not have Trump’s money and I don’t kiss ass very well.
Dave Volek Added Nov 16, 2017 - 11:16am
George

Back in my political party days, I had aspirations of public office--and getting the experience at a young age would help this life goal.

After about a year, I was attending a non-political cultural event. Our local member of parliament showed up and pressed the flesh. When he got our table, he had to field comments like:

1) Our health care system needs more money.
2) Our education system needs more money.
3) Taxes are too high.

He had to be nice to these silly people.

A little further discussion at our table revealed that he had just come from a similar event before ours and after ours, he was going to another event. I thought: "Doesn't this guy ever get to watch a hockey game?"  I decided not be an elected politician, but I did stay in the back rooms for another five years.

It takes a certain personality to be a public official in western democracy. A TDG will be more inclusive and will find people of various personalities.

opher goodwin Added Nov 17, 2017 - 6:52pm
Dave - being in public office is constricting. I wouldn't like it. I'd be too honest.
mark henry smith Added Nov 17, 2017 - 8:11pm
Let's not be silly here thinking that this country was founded for the benefit of the masses. That completely ignores American history. This country was founded by an elite group of land holders who didn't like their wealth being taken by the crown. Look who got the vote.

And that elite is still in control and our entire system of government is set up to protect their wealth.
Jeff Michka Added Nov 17, 2017 - 9:04pm
Geo Romey "responds" to people suggesting he do something and run for public office:  But I do not have Trump’s money and I don’t kiss ass very well.-You seem to have perfected getting pats on the back in WB, due, primarily to ass kissing, why not do it in good cause instead of WB?
opher goodwin Added Nov 19, 2017 - 8:09pm
Mark - you are exactly right.
Jeff Michka Added Nov 20, 2017 - 7:02pm
KO sez: Now Jeff, How's about go easier on George.  He's a good guy who feels betrayed by a system he believed in.-Geo is a practical and intellectual fraud that cries and whines, and will be absolutely the last one to do anything about it because "he can't" for one reason or another.  He needs to be pushed and challenge which nobody here seems to want to do, yet folks lap up his crap as gospel, but ask for no reality in return.  Geo is a "Surrender!! It is useless!!" type.  He's more of a problem than those he claims are "behind it all."  If it wasn't for Geo excusing them by steadfastly doing nothing, things might start changing, but no...don't bother sez Geo, it's useless.

Recent Articles by Writers George N Romey follows.