A Glimpse Into Hate Management

I just read an article on the elitist, left-wing news blog ZEIT online and I’m mad again.

It describes a court verdict that allowed Kuwait Airways to deny the transportation of an Israeli passenger. There is a law in Kuwait that forbids making contracts with Israelis and upon realization of the passenger’s citizenship the airline offered to rebook the flight with another airline on their own expenses.

The Israeli was outraged and went to court out of spite. As frustrating as the experience was for the man, I still support both Kuwait Airways and the German court for the decisions they made.

What riles me up, though, is that the article does not expand on the issue itself, maybe by comparing Trump’s temporary travel ban to Kuwait’s permanent contract ban and the double standard of our outrage culture. Instead they chose to spend half of the article with the reaction of the Central Council of The Jews in Germany, the equivalent of the Anti-Defamation League (ADL).

I don’t have much love for the Central Council lobby group. Because of the sheer lack of Jews in general and in the public space in particular they hold an undue influence and are misunderstood by many as the vox populi of the Jews.

Anyway, the inclusion of their stupid quotes made the whole article about ‘the Jews’ and thus colored the comment section thereunder. One should know that ZEIT online has the best censored comment section outside North Korea and it sheds a light on ZEIT online which comments they delete and which are there to stay.

So here a summary of the comments:

User 4er opines that the Central Council should not interfere with politics, just as politics should not interfere with religion. The Central Council, like the ADL, is not even a religious organisation. And the interference is Putinesque: They voice their opinion.

User Thasma says he/she does not mind if Kuwait does not allow Israelis into the country. I bet Thasma would mind if the shoe was on the other foot.

Various users understand Kuwait’s position because no country can be forced to recognize Israel. The German double standard reeks. Germany does not only recognize but also has diplomatic ties to North Korea.

Some users start a discussion about circumcision. Why? Because Jews. Others start an off-topic discussion about the word anti-Semitism. For all who think it matters: It’s Jew hatred and never meant anything else.

Users trollinchen and Eugen0 declare that Arabs can’t set a foot into Israel in the same way that Israelis can’t travel to Kuwait. That lie is so obvious. If some lies or even truths are posted that reflect negatively on Arabs, ZEIT online habitually deletes them immediately. Not here. Why? Jews.

The gist of the comments is that Israel is evil and the man had it coming for his group identity. The PC crowd emphasizes that “not all Jews are Israelis” and so on. Fine. My problem is that the left has nothing, I emphasize NOTHING, against generalisation and group hatred. Their only contention with it is that THEY want to decide who must be hated. Eastern Europeans, the French, English-speakers, and Israelis must be hated. Muslims, blacks, homosexuals must be protected from hate. What about being just fair and reasonable? Why does the left need all the hate? And how do they always get away with their ‘catch the thief’ finger-pointing on hoax hate incidences? Doesn’t the entire power structure of the left now rest on the management of hate these days?

Comments

Autumn Cote Added Nov 17, 2017 - 3:41pm
Why resort to insult, describe what ZEIT did and then let your readers conclude if it’s elitist or hard left?

What’s ADL an acronym for?

I doubt Zeit would agree it censors anything. Keep in mind, once deleted, there is no way of knowing if it was done so for legitimate reasons or illegitimate reasons.

Why are trollinchen and EugenO’s lies obvious?
Benjamin Goldstein Added Nov 17, 2017 - 3:50pm
I'm not sure if elitist or hard left are insults. It is a categoisation. The outlet, which used to be a weekly news paper before it went digital, has always been targeted at readers in the German elites.

Anti-Defamation League = ADL

I once contemplated making an article about ZEIT's censorship. Funny enough they come up with explanations that one can read instead of the original comments.

Arabs can travel to Israel. The two users claim that this is not possible.
Autumn Cote Added Nov 17, 2017 - 3:57pm
Name one person that self-describes as elitist or hard left?

The point is that the first time you use an acronym you should spell it out and put the acronym in parenthesis and you shouldn't assume your readers know what's laughable or obvious.

Just some friendly advice.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Nov 17, 2017 - 4:03pm
I will change the article to include the full name of the ADL. I really thought it was very common (since I as a foreigner have heard it so often).

I take out hard left. Because this is really the first time since I started blogging that I use a descriptor that is not used by an person as a self-identification.

Elitist is not a ideological categorie, but a fitting description. The publication is run by people in high places and is also read by such people. It is an echo chamber of a particular group. So I will keep this one.
Dino Manalis Added Nov 17, 2017 - 5:01pm
Treat everyone with respect.
Phil Greenough Added Nov 17, 2017 - 7:44pm
This article makes no sense to me.  You have no problem with Kuwait Airways decision not to serve those with Israeli passports.  You have no problem with Germany’s decision to allow Kuwait Airways not to serve those with an Israeli passport.  Your problem is with the reporting of the story from an “elitist, left-wing news blog.” What do you expect from a media source like that?

Confounding my confusion is your criticism of them using the ADL as the source for the Jewish reaction.  First they should be commended for getting the Jewish reaction.  Just because you don’t like the source doesn’t mean it isn’t a good source to use.

Finally, you’re upset with the fact that half the article discussed the Jewish reaction and making comparisons to Trump.  I’m sorry but Trump has nothing to do with the story.  I would argue, at least half the story is the reaction of those primarily affected by the decision.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Nov 18, 2017 - 1:58am
Phil: The Central Council of The Jews in Germany is not a representation of Israel. I don't mind including their voice, but I question whether half the article should be about them while Kuwait, the actual source of the problem, is not discussed.

I agree that Trump has nothing to do with the story. I used the travel ban as an example on how they could have discussed the Western reaction to misbehavior in Arab countries. The double standard is unacceptable. Alternatively they could have simply expanded on the laws that forced Kuwait Airways to deny service to the man.
Phil Greenough Added Nov 18, 2017 - 6:28am
Half the story is not the Kuwait government’s decision to ban Israeli passport holders from flying on Kuwait Airways.  It’s part of difficult and complex story.  It wouldn’t surprise me if every Arab nation prohibits Israeli passport holders from flying on their planes.  It’s probably a practice that’s been going on for decades, making the story not really all that much about Kuwait.

I’m not sure what you mean by “unacceptable.”  If you mean anti-Semitism, that's been going on for decades, look no further than the United Nations.  Assume you could dictated the court ruling, what result would you have wanted?  As ponder that, keep in mind you can't control the Kuwait Government.

However, the above is not the point of my comment to you.  My point is that I don’t see the purpose of this article or the great outrage you’re trying to get across.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Nov 18, 2017 - 7:25am
Phil: If you argue that nothing is worth reporting if it goes on for a while than nothing is worth reporting. The nature of man does not change much. You can always press a story into a frame that has been there since the dawn of history. Taxes and contributions? Always been a dispute....Why follow anything then?

I mean double standards are unacceptable.

As ponder that, keep in mind you can't control the Kuwait Government.
I keep in mind that I'm not in control of any government. Jew power is overrated. ;-)

Still thanks for reading. (I'd take questions but I assume it is clear to most readers) I hope future articles will be more accessable.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Nov 18, 2017 - 8:23am
I have forgotten to answer the one question Phil asked:
Assume you could dictated the court ruling, what result would you have wanted?
As I said in the article above, I agree with the court ruling. Kuwait Airways offered to rebook the flight and should not see punishment whatsoever. They were stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Billy Roper Added Nov 18, 2017 - 9:17am
The full name of the ADL is the Anti-Defamation League of B'nai Brith. That means "brotherhood of the circumcised". It's a Jewish supremacist organization which was formed a hundred years ago to defend a Jewish boss who raped and murdered a little White girl. They've been investigated many times for committing acts of espionage against the American people on behalf of the rabidly racist little terrorist state of Israel.
Simply Jews Added Nov 18, 2017 - 9:37am
Benjamin,

I am not sure that I follow you about the correctness of the German judge decision to allow Kuwait Airways refusal to accept the Israeli passenger stand. The justification, as far as I heard at least, as explained by the judge, was that Kuwait Airways will suffer a punishment at home. Why should a German judge care about the internal issues of Kuwait - beats me.

On the other hand, I am not sure whether I would buy a ticket to fly with that company anyway - quite a conundrum, and I don't really understand the Israeli guy who did that. Oh well.

Otherwise, I agree with you re the media, although I have to say that the comments you describe are quite expected. They will be expected even if the weather in our area was the subject of an article, you know how it goes ;-)

Phil, re:

"It wouldn’t surprise me if every Arab nation prohibits Israeli passport holders from flying on their planes.

In fact, the countries we have a peace agreement with - Egypt and Jordan, as well as a few others (Morocco for one) do accept out passports.  Hope it will  expand, but it takes time.
Dave Volek Added Nov 18, 2017 - 11:16am
Benjamin

I really couldn't follow your article very well. Or maybe I should say that I'm not going to read four or five times to gain an understanding. Hence I'm not going to offer comments as I am likely to misinterpret what you want to say.

Looking at other comments, I sense that other readers are also struggling with your text.

This article needs some serious revising.

Benjamin Goldstein Added Nov 18, 2017 - 1:44pm
Dave: Naturally my article makes sense to me and I would not know how to revise it. Never mind! ;-)
Dave Volek Added Nov 18, 2017 - 2:22pm
Benjamin. Revising is part of the fun of writing.

I finished my third version of the TDG in 2008. I thought it was pretty solid, and I was thinking, in 2016, I'll just pour into the e-book format. Easy, right?

But I had about three paragraphs that I needed to add. So I added them in. Then I saw some ways to make nearby paragraphs a little better. Then I saw a few too many grammar errors and typos that I and my editor missed in 2008. And that meant the entire book was of the same standard, so copy editing was done again. When copy editing, I saw whole sections that needed to reorganized. Then there was tweaking of many sentences and paragraphs to make them more powerful. The result: a 4th edition! It is definitely better than the 3rd. But it is not much different than the 3rd in terms of the message.

When I started this e-book project in September 2016, I had thought February 2017 would be the launch date of the e-book. Wrong!

It's amazing what a little time does to make your former writing look not-so-good.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Nov 18, 2017 - 2:42pm
Dave: Possible.

I think this post stands well as it is. This is another one of those that are not really intellectually challenging, but apparently somehow challenging. I wrote it quickly in response to an article, but it is well structured and it touches a bigger thought in the end, namely that I don't see people being against hate but only people who try to direct hate in their favour.

The same issue can be hit in other posts in the future, so I don't mind that it does not fall on futile ground right now.

At the same time I wonder what makes a text or a concept actually difficult. This is an issue I also face when I try to understand myself.

I recently saw a video of a TV show, a talk show that turned out to be a political scandal, and I am surprised how much of what was going on was invisible for me at the first time I saw it.

There were guests repeatedly saying that they want to leave the show and even saying 'we should do what we agreed upon' until the host decided to throw out a third, well-mannered guest against her wishes. It was very rude. Yet, at the time I did not realize how rude they were and how they planned and 'agreed on' it before the show.

So sometimes we must be in a emotional/intellectual "place" to see something that is obvious to others. I assumed that others would be in the same place like myself and just thought a quick run down of an example would open the door. I would rather write other articles to tackle the issues than to revamp this one without end because...hm....it has a structure, is concise and quite to the point.
Paul C. Added Nov 19, 2017 - 6:53am
The thing that would rule me up is that the the German government would allow others to be so openly anti-Semitic in German soul.  Given Germany’s history, one would think they’d be very adamantly against that.
Dave Volek Added Nov 19, 2017 - 8:33am
Benjamin
I'll just leave to you to do whatever you want with your article. I have been able to connect with your other articles (even if we don't agree). But I couldn't figure out what you were trying to say with this one. Maybe I'm not in the right frame of mind to absorb it. Regardless, this reader is lost on this article.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Nov 19, 2017 - 9:31am
Dave: Never mind.
Paul C: No, I'm actually more annoyed by the general habit of redirecting hate like in the article above. The problem was clearly with the Kuwaits and the inability of the world to address the matter. Yet the left spun it with their usual propaganda tools to make it all about Jews and Israel, who are not the source of the problem.

Another example was when Hillary Clinton had to hide the Wikileaks infos (she betrayed at the primaries and colluded with all big media leaders). She simply whipped up the rage against Trump, Wikileaks and Russians. And she got away with it. This materializes into anti-Semitism from time to time but the picture is larger than that.
Neelon Crawford Added Nov 20, 2017 - 2:13am
The PC crowd emphasizes that “not all Jews are Israelis” and so on.

Can you name one person that’s a member of the PC crowd?  Even if there were such a crowd, how does that response change anything about the story?  How is that statement PC?  It’s not PC to say hatred against Jews is not OK but hatred against Israel is.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Nov 20, 2017 - 3:11am
Neelon: I hope to touch your question correctly. I think it would not be helpful to list the users of the comment section that fall into the pc crowd.

It’s not PC to say hatred against Jews is not OK but hatred against Israel is.
That is very PC and it is what I try to make everybody aware. There are groups like BDS (Boycott, Divest, and Sanction) who admonish everybody for wrongspeak all the time. They manage the labels Israeli, Jew and zionist. The word zionism is often used in defiance by Jews but the actual movement as it was in the 19th century is dead. More often it has become a label of the PC crowd to attach to Jews and groups of Jews to make them a target of hate.
At the last gay pride in San Francisco people were asked to leave because they had an emblem of the star of David on their rainbow flag. The excuse was surely that they were just targeting the right group of Jews. For my purpose this is irrelevant. PC enforcers say that hate against groups is always bad and I have no patience to listen for what Jewish group this iron rule is lifted.
Jeffry Gilbert Added Nov 20, 2017 - 6:15am
It follows a standard pattern. Stir up some shit then claim victimhood.
opher goodwin Added Nov 20, 2017 - 9:28am
Hatred against Jews, Arabs or Israelis (who are Jews, Christians and Arabs) is plain wrong. Refusing entry to anyone on the basis of their colour, race or religion is plain wrong. There is nothing to discuss.
Eileen de Bruin Added Nov 20, 2017 - 9:57am
As far as I know, there has very often been the need to have two passports if you had to travel to Middle East countries, so that you wouldn’t be blocked because you had stamps from Israel.  Politics.

The Jew who booked with Kuwait airlines does confuse me in this story. Why would he do that anyway, given the politics of the Middle East?  I have just looked up the story. Indeed, yes, it is as it always was...or since the State of Israel was declared....the Israeli State and its citizens are not recognised.

Yep. It is silly.  But that is politics for you isn’t it?

Benjamin Goldstein Added Nov 20, 2017 - 11:28am
Jeff Gilbert: Yes, that is very often the road it takes.

Eileen de Bruin: I assume the passenger was naive. Many Arab nations have changed their behavior. So he booked a flight from Frankfurt to Bangkok with Kuwait Airways and did not realize how deep the animus goes.

I think nobody would mind if Kuwait just didn't want to have an Israeli embassy in their country. But why do they forbid their citizens to make contracts with Israeli citizens?

What I find interesting is that the newspaper did not expand on the actual law, the groups who are for it and the groups who are against it (like Kuwait Airways - I would think); no discussion on the state of the debate. Instead the article threw in the commentary of a lobby group to make it somehow about Jews.

It is no accident that the case was featured. In itself the court case has little weight, but as a story it has a function. By mixing the story with 'the Jews' it initiates a pavlovian reflex. People who are trained through propaganda to manage the hate labels are busy picking the two apart again while making clear who to hate and who not. At the same time Jews get the hint that they better distance themselves from Israel. It is a propaganda technique.

This all replaces a sensible debate about specific laws and specific political measures.

BTW the article that is advertised right under the mentioned article headlines "Israel - Where Does The German Tax Payer Money Go?" (German: Israel - Wohin fließt deutsches Steuergeld?). It's hidden behind a paywall.
Eileen de Bruin Added Nov 20, 2017 - 12:33pm
It is all a damned shame, really. People are people and whatever we or they think about the State of Israel or about any Israeli, why can we not progress and agree to disagree?

But this is just politics, of course. And there is no end in sight for this animosity between
Eileen de Bruin Added Nov 20, 2017 - 12:35pm
....between the Muslim-based countries and Israel.  Truth is, however, that Israel is a handy back yard for American to have its dog fights between the powers.
Lots of arms are sold to the Arab states from the US and the Western Europeans.

This has nothing to do with ordinary people at street level.  They are just pawns or cannon fodder or both.

Phil Greenough Added Nov 22, 2017 - 8:57am
I didn’t say this story wasn’t worth reporting. My comments are related to your opinion of the story and why you’ve come to the conclusion that ZEIT is guilty of hate management. Perhaps if you were the editor of ZEIT you could have offered its readers something better.  I’m not so sure, as the moment Trump was mentioned I would have tuned out.  I also would have tuned out if you hadn’t of sought the opinion of Jews and the entities that represent them.
Simply Jews Added Nov 26, 2017 - 1:08am
Benjamin,

Back to the initial story: it seems that there is some backfire in the government circles in Germany re the judge's decision.

Benjamin Goldstein Added Nov 26, 2017 - 5:16am
Thank you, Snoopy. As it stands now the Transport Ministry is investigating whether Kuwait Airways broke the 'transportation obligation duty' (German: Beförderungspflicht). That is a law that punishes a breach of contract more severely when it disrupts a person's transportation. The investigation stands on very shaky ground because the law deals with taxis and buses. Long distance buses are already exempt. So this is probably a piece of virtue signalling.

I assume that Kuwait Airlines has clauses in their terms and conditions that makes customers agree that their flights may be rebooked with other airlines.

I believe the court ruling should stand. Weinthal wrote in the article that you linked to about a similar case in New York. Here the anti-discrimination law trumped contract law. The result was not that Kuwait Airlines started transporting Israeli citizens. It only harmed their business and they had to stop providing flights between New York and London.

What I find troubling is that the Minister of Transportation Christian Schmidt is quoted to 'review the case' in Weinthal's article. This would mean that he openly disregards the independence of the courts. I assume that it is a blunder on Weinthal's part who has a bit of a history of sloppiness (He is a nice guy, though, I once made him aware of a mistake on twitter and he immediately thanked and corrected himself).
Simply Jews Added Nov 26, 2017 - 5:26am
I agree that the opinion of government member or of state employees shouldn't have any impact on the court decision.
Otherwise, I don't care much for well-being of Kuwait Airlines.
And, as I mentioned, I don't exactly understand the motivation of the passenger in question. Could have been a deliberate act, designed to make trouble for said airline. Oh well...

Recent Articles by Writers Benjamin Goldstein follows.