There was a poet, who didn't know it

I submit this to WriterBeat prompted by Stone-Eater Friedli's recent verses on the ills of the world, and the depressive effects those ills have had on one of his friends. It's the first section of the very first piece of verse produced by the Darn-Poor Rhymer, my alter ego. I wrote it way back in 2001. Indeed, I began it on the very day of 9/11. Here it is:

There was a poet,

We’ll never fix
Damned politics;
It only works
For crooked jerks.
So, loose that fetter!
Make something better!

...Don't worry, I'm (still) working on it! That's why I'm here.

Comments

opher goodwin Added Dec 27, 2017 - 1:08pm
Neil - Lol - you're a poet - hope you don't blow it!
Nice sentiments too. I agree with most of them!
The Burghal Hidage Added Dec 27, 2017 - 1:44pm
Sadly, friend, it would appear we've not made a great deal of progress. You had a verse in there that reminded me of the sage words of the late Frank Zappa - America is a nation of laws poorly written and randomly enforced.

opher goodwin Added Dec 27, 2017 - 2:01pm
Burger - Aaah the great Frank Zapper. He was really on the ball - There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.
The Burghal Hidage Added Dec 27, 2017 - 2:30pm
Frank Zappa revealed the key to understanding life on this planet in Joe's Garage....

Ultimately who gives a fuck anyway?

opher goodwin Added Dec 27, 2017 - 2:41pm
Burger - that would be me then?
Stone-Eater Added Dec 28, 2017 - 3:42am
Neil

Good one :-) And it's true....we must work for the better. I've been trying it for the last 30 years with sometimes more and sometimes less effect. But when one doesn't try he has no right to complain. And nothing is more rewarding in life than seeing a positive result on the ones you care for or happen to cross your way. Be that your own children or the beggar on the street you help to get on his feet again.

Because YOU might need some help too one day. One never knows....
The Burghal Hidage Added Dec 28, 2017 - 4:04am
Opher -  sorry, I've been absent a while. What would be you?
Neil Lock Added Dec 28, 2017 - 4:36am
TBH: I do think we have made some progress. If only in raising awareness that the current political system doesn't work for good people. The next step - working out, describing, and selling, a better one - is the key, I think.
The Burghal Hidage Added Dec 28, 2017 - 5:32am
Neil -  I was speaking in just very general conversational terms, but you are correct. Progress has been made in some quarters and certainly the level of awareness has been raised.
opher goodwin Added Dec 28, 2017 - 5:33am
Who gives a fuck Burger.
The Burghal Hidage Added Dec 28, 2017 - 5:47am
Neil -  I can get down into the weeds in a number of these issues, and I used to do a bit more of that.  Its fair to say that WB has, whether by design or by accident, become a forum that is composed of such a discussion. For the most part I feel I have said what I have to say on these topics and have little to add. It grows tiresome when the start of nearly every conversation involves starting from a premise which is distorted and inaccurate.
One can not make someone actually listen to and think about something which they have already decided that they do not want to hear. I still engage in some conversation in these matters, but my postings have veered away.  I have decided that my means of projecting a message, illustrating the arguments is within the medium of fiction.  Better to let people make these discoveries by accident.

I have a short story that deals with this, titled The Association, posted at theburghalhidage.wordpress.com

opher goodwin Added Dec 28, 2017 - 6:03am
Burger - I was responding to this FZ quote - Ultimately who gives a fuck anyway?
The Burghal Hidage Added Dec 28, 2017 - 6:40am
Oh...you give a.....ok, sorry. little slow this AM :)
opher goodwin Added Dec 28, 2017 - 7:12am
Coffee helps!!
The Burghal Hidage Added Dec 28, 2017 - 7:27am
Its beginning to work. Cold as a whores heart here this morning! Hope you are faring better. How far north are you?
opher goodwin Added Dec 28, 2017 - 8:34am
Burger - I'm near Hull and York. It's around zero here. Bitter wind yesterday but the house is cosy. My lady is ill with some virus and chest infection so its a bit of a drag at the moment.
Stone-Eater Added Dec 28, 2017 - 8:41am
Oph

Send her my regards, may it pass quickly ! Here in Switzerland we have -2° and snow-rain drizzle at the moment...no effort to do some shopping.
The Burghal Hidage Added Dec 28, 2017 - 9:20am
Oh you've much the same as here! yes, stay in! I went out early today just to turn the engine over and let a charge run a bit on the car. That was enough for me! Good day to write :)
opher goodwin Added Dec 28, 2017 - 10:04am
Stone/Burger - weather doesn't sound good anywhere. I'm in and writing (as well as playing nurse).
Stone-Eater Added Dec 28, 2017 - 10:31am
...glad to go back to Senegal. I mean weather IS a quality of life....
Stone-Eater Added Dec 28, 2017 - 10:32am
...and if someone tells me he likes cold, fog, drizzle etc. he's crook or he has a hell of a home with lux heating. I tell him wait for a blackout LOL
opher goodwin Added Dec 28, 2017 - 10:43am
Stone - it's conducive to writing though!
Stone-Eater Added Dec 28, 2017 - 11:06am
Oph

....had to google "conducive"....but got it LOL
opher goodwin Added Dec 28, 2017 - 11:40am
Stone - when are you off to Senegal?
Stone-Eater Added Dec 28, 2017 - 11:42am
Oph

January 28, 20'00 from Zurich airport :-)
opher goodwin Added Dec 28, 2017 - 12:04pm
Stone - exciting stuff. Best of luck.