The Trouble with Time Travel

As science and technology progress we are understanding time and its relation to the universe much deeper than ever before. There are apparently “portals” in the universe that, well, we’re not sure what is on the other side of them, but it might be another universe, or a connection to another part of the universe. Apparently, there is some way of approaching the speed of light and somehow space will curve in front of the vehicle traveling through space. I’m not an astrophysicist, so please excuse my rather dim perception of some of these astrophysical science theories. If you want to believe that time travel is still possible, stop reading now, because I’m going to destroy your belief in it. I won’t go into event/horizon, black holes or string theory. There is a much more sensible and logical explanation of why no one has traveled from the future back in time.

For exhibit one, I give you the North Sentinel Island. I’m reasonably sure that none of you, dear readers, have ever heard of it. If you Google it, and why wouldn’t you, the first sentence reads: “North Sentinel Island is one of the Andaman Islands, which includes South Sentinel Island, in the Bay of Bengal. It is home to the Sentinelese who, often violently, reject any contact with the outside world, and are among the last people worldwide to remain virtually untouched by modern civilization. As such, only limited information about the island is known.” I left the links in the quote, for those of you who are interested in this tribe.

OK, so there’s this island where everyone is forbidden to visit. There have only been a few visitors, and the results were quite tragic. What has happened when modern visitors have any close association with the Sentinelese, is that the Sentinelese die very quickly, in a matter of days. The reason for this is that the Sentinelese have not had any substantial contact with humans from the outside world for centuries, or even thousands of years.

For exhibit two, you must understand that all of us are walking test tubes of bacteria and viruses that are no longer a threat to our health. These viruses and bacteria have evolved over the centuries (sorry to have to tell you folks that do not believe in evolution) and we have become immune to them. The same thing happened with the settling of North America, when the indigenous populations were exposed to the European diseases, they had no immunity, and, as medicines that could address the diseases were not available, thousands of the indigenous tribespeople got sick and died. Nothing, at that time, could stop it, other than the Europeans not getting anywhere near the indigenous tribes, and that wasn’t going to happen.

Now we have someone from the future travel back in time. Unless the time travelers are wearing a space suit, all of those viruses and bacteria that they are carrying with them, that they are immune to, that have evolved over the centuries, are going to infect anyone in the past to where they have traveled. In a model almost identical to the indigenous North American tribes being attacked by the Sentinelese, the highly evolved viruses are going to attack the people who come in contact with the time travelers. The results will make the Great Plague look like a case of the sniffles. The evolved viruses will assault the unevolved population will attack the immune systems of the people of the past and wipe them out by the millions, with nothing to stop them.  Any contact, even so much as shaking hands, will transmit viruses that will kill the population of the earlier time with impunity. It would be almost impossible to stop the deaths from the infection, even with the most sophisticated of drugs, because even a vaccine with a watered-down virus would more than likely still be a fatal infection. No doubt there would be some that survive, but very few. The very young, infants, and the very old (or what was considered old at that time) whose immune systems would be vulnerable, would perish quickly. I am sorry to dismantle your idea about traveling back in time, but the results on the population would be devastating. Traveling forward in time has the same problem, in that your immune system could not fight off the highly evolved viruses to which the future humans would be immune. They might be able to create a vaccine for you, but I wouldn’t count on it.

In the same way, the astronauts who landed on the moon, in case you do not remember, were quarantined on a ship out in the ocean for several days before they were allowed to have contact with people from earth. There was a fear, and rightfully so, that there could be viruses on the moon to which we earthlings would have no resistance. It turned out not to be the case, but had any of those astronauts taken ill, I’m pretty sure those ships they were on would have stayed out in the ocean until things could get settled. The possibility of an alien virus was too great a risk, when a short quarantine could have addressed the issue, as it did.

Unfortunately for all of the UFO believers, this same theory applies to extraterrestrials. If extraterrestrials are even remotely similar to us, there would be a distinct probability that they would be carrying bacteria and viruses that our immune systems would not be able to fight off. That’s the reality of it. Space and time have a menace that we don’t want to admit to, and that menace is that our immune systems are our greatest weakness.  Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock might have been transported to alien worlds, but the viruses that they carried would have quickly decimated the populations of those worlds. I’m sorry to bring all of this pessimism to those wonderful ideas about time travel and space exploration. It’s always the little things that gum up the works. In this case, little things, microscopic things, spell doom to organisms that cannot resist microbial life forms that infect and kill us.

NASA has a team that work on this, and, in case you didn’t know it, we are very careful that we do not bring with us any viruses that could infect, and decimate, any population with which it comes in contact.

Remember to get your flu shot this year, as the flu virus develops immunity to the old vaccine. The regeneration and evolutionary cycle of a virus is exponentially faster than that of humans. New generations of viruses come about in months. It is called survival of the fittest, and the newly born menace, the cycle of survival that Charles Darwin spoke of in “The Origin of the Species.” The older viruses died off, and the vaccine-resistant virus survives to wreak havoc upon the human population. Even now, penicillin-resistant viruses have evolved and are threatening pretty much all of humanity.  Other than that, pull that dusty version of “The Time Machine” off the bookcase and enjoy reading what can never come about. That’s why it’s called fiction.

Comments

Leroy Added Jan 5, 2018 - 9:47pm
Very interesting read, Jeff (except for the part of about penicillin-resistant viruses.  There a lot of them.  Perhaps all.)

I've never believed in time travel.  Your approach to the problem is a novel one.  I can't argue with it.

Jeff Jackson Added Jan 5, 2018 - 9:55pm
Thanks Mike, and thanks Leroy. I have never heard my theory before, I just was thinking about it for a while, so if someone starts telling you the new theory about decimating the population, tell them where you heard it first.  Thanks again.
John Minehan Added Jan 5, 2018 - 10:15pm
This is the plot twist in one of the most famous of the early modern SF Novels, The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells.
Ray Joseph Cormier Added Jan 5, 2018 - 10:17pm
I read reports of government labs creating biological weapons and what if the next deadly flu outbreak is only a test? Government in the past has been exposed for using unsuspecting Civilians as test subjects.

The Enterprise did have a bio-filter system when the crew came back from an away mission.
John Minehan Added Jan 5, 2018 - 10:20pm
There are enough other problems with Tome Travel in terms of causation and the potential creation of alternative time limes.

I'm not sure you would have that much of a problem with disease with sort time trips (if such were possible) except where there was something very lethal and of short duration, like the 1919 "Spanish Lady" Influenza.
Michael B. Added Jan 5, 2018 - 10:24pm
Interesting...a couple of years ago, I was on the USS Hornet (CV-12), which fished the Apollo 11 astronauts out of the water. Among the many artifacts on board was an Airstream trailer (not sure if it was the actual one or not, but probably not) where the astronauts were kept in quarantine for a few days. They clearly weren't taking any chances.
John Minehan Added Jan 5, 2018 - 10:31pm
They really couldn't be too careful.  There was a lot to potentially go wrong.
Michael B. Added Jan 5, 2018 - 10:40pm
Back in the 80's, the KGB planted a story that AIDS was the result of a U.S. biological warfare program, a belief that persists to this day. Whatever, germs are the ultimate WMD in many ways. Mother Nature is a bitch for sure.
Michael B. Added Jan 5, 2018 - 10:41pm
As far as alien cultures go, I read a passage in the book The Operators, written by the late Michael Hastings (whom I'm convinced was assassinated) where he's interviewing some U.S. Army troops in Afghanistan; he records them saying things like "Let's give out blankets filled with disease, just like we did to the Indians."
John Minehan Added Jan 5, 2018 - 11:00pm
The American Military Legacy of Sir Jeffrey Amherst is again heard from . . . .
Michael B. Added Jan 5, 2018 - 11:29pm
The gift that keeps on giving...by the way, the German word for poison is "gift", as in "giftgas".
Ray Joseph Cormier Added Jan 5, 2018 - 11:36pm
There was no rush to find a cure for AIDS when it was 1st known as "the Gay Plague."
Once they knew Straight men and women got it too, that's when money was poured into research.
David Montaigne Added Jan 6, 2018 - 6:11am
I've always focused on the idea of paradox, that if we could travel to the past we still couldn't change what had already happened.  I always felt the universe would prevent us from doing anything we hadn't unknowingly already done.  But disease puts another nail in the coffin for traveling to the past.
opher goodwin Added Jan 6, 2018 - 6:12am
Jeff - nice article. As a Sci-fi writer I have to take all that into account. I like Sci-fi to be based on scientific accuracy.
Time travel does exist. We have discovered subatomic particles that arrive before they've left.
Stephen Hunter Added Jan 6, 2018 - 9:09am
Great article Jeff, yes the paradox of time travel has baffled scientists and sci-fi writers for years.
I am starting to lean toward the theory that time does not exist at all. Yes we watch the clock tick away the seconds, however is that just a construct of our minds? The only time that really exists is the present moment. Because we have absolutely no control over the past or the future. But many refuse to live in the now. They want to go back to the cocoon of the past and live with a fear of abandonment throughout their lives. Then you have those who are so fearful of the future, they allow their minds to play our the worst case scenarios of things that will probably never happen. And the stress of all the worrying eventually makes people physically ill.
Michael B. Added Jan 6, 2018 - 9:56am
How to stop time: Kiss.
How to travel through time: Read.
How to escape from time: Music.
How to feel time: Write.
How to waste time: Social media.
John Minehan Added Jan 6, 2018 - 10:01am
"There was a young lady named Bright
Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day
In a relative way
And returned on the previous night."---Anon.
Stephen Hunter Added Jan 6, 2018 - 10:04am
Good ones Michael!
How about time is my enemy. No it is not- you have all the time in the world, all the time that exists!
Michael B. Added Jan 6, 2018 - 10:07am
@ John M. - I remember that one from a physics class, perhaps the only known instance where physics and humor were successfully combined!
Michael B. Added Jan 6, 2018 - 10:07am
@ Stephen - That one, too! lol
George N Romey Added Jan 6, 2018 - 11:00am
Jeff very interesting article. If time travel were possible I wouldn’t go back pre indoor plumbing anyway. I’d like to back to 1964 and buy one of the first new Ford Mustangs.
Ray Joseph Cormier Added Jan 6, 2018 - 11:05am
Vanity of vanities, says the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.
What profit has a man of all his labour which he takes under the sun?
One generation passes away, and another generation comes: but the earth abides for ever.
The sun also arises, and the sun goes down, and hastens to his place where he arose.
The wind goes toward the south, and turns about unto the north; it whirls about continually, and the wind returns again according to his circuits.
All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; unto the place from whence the rivers come, there they return again.
All things are full of labour; man cannot utter it: the eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing.
The thing that has been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.
Is there any thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it has been already of old time, which was before us.
There is no remembrance of former things; neither shall there be any remembrance of things that are to come with those that shall come after.
I the Preacher was king over Israel in Jerusalem.
And I gave my heart to seek and search out by wisdom concerning all things that are done under heaven: this sore travail has God given to the sons of man to be exercised with.
I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and, behold, all is vanity and vexation of spirit.
That which is crooked cannot be made straight: and that which is wanting cannot be numbered.
I communed with my own heart, saying, Lo, I am come to great estate, and have gotten more wisdom than all they that have been before me in Jerusalem: yea, my heart had great experience of wisdom and knowledge.
And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit.
For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Jeff Jackson Added Jan 6, 2018 - 11:07am
It seems that time is something that humans have invented. Time is something we have assigned to events to keep them in order. Nature and physics have no measure of time. Time is just something that we have invented, in physics, I believe it means nothing.
opher goodwin Added Jan 6, 2018 - 11:20am
Michael - very good. I appreciated that.
Time used to be a signal to drink up and get a last pint.
John Minehan Added Jan 6, 2018 - 11:36am
O'Hara: "Time. Time. What is time? Swiss manufacture it. French hoard it. Italians squander it. Americans say it is money. Hindus say it does not exist. Do you know what I say? I say time is a crook. " Beat The Devil (1953)
mark henry smith Added Jan 6, 2018 - 11:58am
Time is merely a measure of change, movement, entropy, etc...

The interesting concept is that past, present, and future don't exist but are all present in any moment of time. The theory of this is quite compelling and I do believe that if we're open to it we can see the future. Boy, doesn't that suck big time, would be a common refrain though for a lot of people, I'm sure. Not me though. Life has never been better. Hallelujah.
Michael B. Added Jan 6, 2018 - 12:09pm
"There is no reality, only phenomena." Unknown author.
Even A Broken Clock Added Jan 6, 2018 - 12:24pm
Our biome defines us, for sure. At the cellular level, the foreign hitchhikers in and on our body determine our digestive health, and a lot of our response to invading microbes. John is right about H. G. Wells foreseeing this response, except in his case it is the invaders who succumb instead of the invaded.

Think about this concept in terms of inhabitants of Earth colonizing other solar systems. At the point they leave, they have all of the Earth microbial life they will ever have. Then they will develop new variants in their own environments in the future. That would indicate that if any travel between isolated environments were to occur in the far distant future, it could invoke an immune system disaster. Makes it more difficult to have a galactic empire.
John Minehan Added Jan 6, 2018 - 12:56pm
"That would indicate that if any travel between isolated environments were to occur in the far distant future, it could invoke an immune system disaster. Makes it more difficult to have a galactic empire."

If the physics were there to make regular contact possible, it might be no worse than it is now.  But the physics probably isn't there.
Katharine Otto Added Jan 6, 2018 - 1:21pm
Jeff,
Microbial infection goes many ways, and many microbes are beneficial.  Still, it is interesting to speculate on how alien beings might affect our biological world.  Maybe if they are advanced enough to get here, they are advanced enough to have eliminated all pathogens, or know how to neutralize them.

War of the Worlds did provide an interesting twist on alien invasion.
Jeff Jackson Added Jan 6, 2018 - 1:22pm
Even, as noted, NASA is very concerned with all of this, and are trying hard to make sure we don't spread any viruses all over the universe.
opher goodwin Added Jan 6, 2018 - 2:18pm
Jeff - did you know that I'm a time traveller? Yes it's true. Unfortunately since I've arrived in this place my time machine has been stuck in one gear - it can only do sixty seconds a minute.
Jeff Jackson Added Jan 6, 2018 - 7:13pm
Opher, I need you to go back to 2008 and buy a whole bunch of shares of Bank of America for me. Let me know where to forward the funds.
Tamara Wilhite Added Jan 7, 2018 - 9:57am
You may come in peace but your germs don't.
opher goodwin Added Jan 7, 2018 - 6:58pm
Sorry Jeff - can't do that. My time machine is stuck in gear and can only go forward at a steady speed.
opher goodwin Added Jan 7, 2018 - 6:59pm
Interesting fact that in a healthy human body 99 cells out of a hundred are bacteria.
Mark Hunter Added Jan 8, 2018 - 2:25am
All very War of the World!

Still, I love a good time travel story. I even love a bad time travel story. If it can't happen in real life ... that's for the best.
Leroy Added Jan 8, 2018 - 8:18am
"We have discovered subatomic particles that arrive before they've left."

Sometimes I don't know if I am coming or going.  Does that make me a time traveler?   :)
opher goodwin Added Jan 8, 2018 - 9:43am
Ray Joseph Cormier Added Jan 8, 2018 - 10:31am
Dreams!
On my voyage in search of the Spirit of ´76, for a time I washed dishes for $1/hr at target="_blank">Suzanne´s Kitchen on the Boardwalk in Venice, California. I had a free place to stay half a block from the Ocean, and I was invited to party more than I could accept.

Waking every morning to witness the sun rise, I took a one task job at the Sea & Shore Restaurant, to set up the patio tables & chairs facing the Ocean at 7am. Just for doing that, I got a full breakfast, and for the rest of the day, apart from working at Suzanne´s from 11am to 9pm, I could sit on the patio meeting and greeting people with unlimited free coffee until closing. The bonus was, as a Canadian, it was my 1st Winter in the Warm Sun.

One morning, I woke up from a dream remembering the vivid images. I was a small child, perhaps 6 or 7, wearing a big, adult, General´s Uniform. The cap covered my ears. The sleeves extended way beyond my hands. The greatcoat and sword crumpled up on the floor.
Standing at the bottom of a great stairway, at the top, crowned and enthroned, was the Pope, with all the attendant pomp and ceremony. He got up from the throne, and coming down the stairs, said to me, ¨Here are the Keys.¨
¨You´re giving me the Keys?¨ The Pope answered, ¨Yes.¨
¨You´re giving me the Keys to the Kingdom?¨ The Pope answered, ¨Yes.¨
¨You´re giving me the Keys to the Vatican and the Treasury of the Vatican?¨ In the Dream The Pope answered, ¨It´s all yours, and you can do what you want with it.¨
I said, ¨If it´s all mine, let´s order Champagne for the world, and go uptown Saturday night.¨ Then I woke up.

In 1978, two years after that Dream, Pope John Paul I was elected. He was the 1st Pope to call himself the 1st since Pope Landro I in 913.
Pope Paul VI was Crowned and Enthroned like all his predecessors in the previous 1000 years.

Pope John Paul I, in the real world, abdicated the Throne, and came down the stairs. That's the Reality in this world. At the Time, I interpreted it as a Spiritual Sign Christ is coming closer to the People.
You might imagine my wonder, more than anyone else in the world, when it was revealed he came from Venice, Italy, mirroring the Dream I had in Venice, California 2 years earlier?

Similarly, and even more recently, I posted an article to my Blog titled, 'THE IMPERIAL POPE' on February 26, 2011. I re-posted it here in July,

Writing the original article, I embedded a clip of Francis of Assisi appearing before the Pope in the year 1210. Now Francis is Pope!

Pope Francis I became Pope on the March 13, 2013, two years later. Naturally that fact would cause more wonder in me than in you.

mark henry smith Added Jan 9, 2018 - 2:14pm
We are all there before we arrive or we wouldn't know which door to enter and which to walk past. If it is true that time is light, than the future has already happened ahead of us and we're just catching up to it.

And in a very real sense the world has become a test subject in the distribution of foreign species. It is such a recent occurrence in geologic time that we have yet to see what evolves out of it, but it will almost definitely be a less biologically diverse world as a few incredibly adaptable organisms that can thrive amidst human civilization and human pathogens come to dominate less resilient species.

The reality for the future will be, no place is safe from us or our bodily functions, or our pollutants, or our anything. We have met the enemy and he is us. And we have met the savior and he might be us. But I doubt large swaths of humanity will survive my lifetime as the environmental factors triggering huge environmental changes are ignored.

Get your fortune now and buy a compound, bring a whole bunch of interesting people, and have the party of a lifetime while you have one. That's my plan.

The Stones were so equivocal on this question of time. IN one song they sing, time is on my side and in another they sing, time waits for no one. I think that's where all the scientific confusion springs from.
Leroy Added Jan 9, 2018 - 8:21pm
"Leroy - we're all time travellers. Sometimes, in my dreams I actually go backwards."

In China, the elderly walk backward to turn back time.
Joe Chiang Added Jan 10, 2018 - 2:34pm
Here is a side thought, but related.  We know, mathematically, that there are 11 dimensions.  We live in 4, length, width, height, and forward linear present time.  We can speculate and model in two dimensions a forth dimensional physical characteristic.  This is visualized as a hypercube.

But this discussion is about time.  I believe it is reasonable that two of the 7 other dimensions we do not know or understand could be backward time and forward time.  This would make more understandable the Biblical reference that God is the beginning and the end if He exists in all 11 dimensions, past present and future at the same time.  This also explains the concept of omnipresent as time to be everywhere at the same time is not a limitation.

Logically, Satin does not have access to forward time or backward time any more than we do.  If he did, he would be changing the past for his benefit and he would know for certain the end result.

The forth physical dimension would also explain the sudden, from our perspective, appearance and disappearance of Heavenly beings as recorded in the Bible and throughout other sources of world history.

I do not believe that time travel will ever be accomplished by humans.  We, humans, are too meddlesome to not mess with history should we gain access to time travel.  There would be evidence of constant changes in history (unless history has been changed and our memory of the changes were also changed - but then we could go on forever with that thinking - or maybe we already have LOL).
mark henry smith Added Jan 10, 2018 - 3:04pm
Wonderful thoughts, Joe and Leroy. A pity that Michael Jackson didn't moon walk his way to a longer life. Thriller was such a great album.

And Joe, what a beautiful concept of the relative difference in the way God and the Devil operate, that it's a question of vision. Are we now limited to eleven dimensions? That sounds awfully confining.
Joe Chiang Added Jan 10, 2018 - 3:32pm
Sorry, the math is over my head.  The theoretical physicists say their math tells them there are 11 dimensions.  I'll take there word for it.  :)
Jeff Michka Added Jan 10, 2018 - 6:10pm
There was a nazi-type here that seemed to insist there was a "Third Reich Time Machine," whereby the London Blitz of 1940 was done in revenge for the bombing of Dresden and Hamburg in 1945.  Great trick.
mark henry smith Added Jan 11, 2018 - 2:08pm
I knew I wouldn't get famous before 60 when I was six. But it didn't stop me from trying. I agree with Joe that time-travel is an impossibility, but not time vision. We may not be able to transport ourselves beyond the speed of light, but we may be able to use spooky force at a distance, a force that works beyond the limitations of space-time, to see the future.

How that would benefit our situation is the real question.

Marie Pabon, a woman I was talking to and then suddenly disappeared from view, like an angel of mercy, I must add, said she wouldn't want to know. Make the future less dramatic. I said I didn't care. Just as I do now, I'd just keep on doing what I'm doing and let the doubters diddle themselves to death.
Joe Chiang Added Jan 11, 2018 - 2:48pm
Why stop at a bombing.  Why not alter the events so Hitler wins.  LOL
mark henry smith Added Jan 12, 2018 - 2:14pm
Good point, but how? How would you help Hitler win if he really was a paranoid schizophrenic? He still wouldn't believe anything you said and would probably have you executed for being too Jewish, since being too smart for your own good is seen as a Jewish trait.
Joe Chiang Added Jan 12, 2018 - 3:01pm
What if Germany got the Bomb and/or Stealth Tech?  Or maybe even just a little help like the "Buzz Saw" squad level tactic.  Assassinate FRD AND the British PM?  Maybe g back further and get France into the US Civil War on the side of the South, no more United States, just Northern US.  Tell the English Kink where the Pilgrims were so he could arrest and execute them for high treason (not becoming a member of the Church of England was a rejection of the crown and considered High Treason)  I could go on, but there are so many potential turning points in history.
Mark Hunter Added Feb 6, 2018 - 4:24am
Joe, how do we know someone didn't do each of those things, and just sent themselves into an alternate timeline? If we saw it on Star Trek, it must be true.
I once read a short story in which a time traveler who wanted to avenge his wife's infidelity went back and killed her lover, only to return to see him still there. So he went back time after time, culminating in him killing a young George Washington. In the end he discovered time was going on as normal--but HE had faded away.
Bill Added Feb 6, 2018 - 3:31pm
This article was good, but you may be making an inappropriate presumption.

What I mean is this:

Say, you went back to the year 1800 in a spacesuit (so your bugs don't kill everyone, fyi), and told people that New York City, which then had a population of 60,000 would have a population over 8.5 million in 2018.

They would think that you're crazy because city services could not support even 3% of that! Where would everyone live? Buildings can only be about four stories high! The horses needed to transport all those people would completely fill the streets with feces! The gaslights required to light everyone's homes would be so hot, they'd start all the wood buildings on fire! Etc, etc...

What I'm saying is that if anyone would be intelligent enough to be able to travel through time, they'd probably take the bugs into account. Maybe in the future there aren't any bugs! Maybe we just ditch these slowly decaying biological lumps and go 100% metallic, digital and STERILE....

Or maybe, just maybe, unknown to us today, our age is just so incredibly boring that nobody WOULD WANT to travel back in time to visit us now!
Joe Chiang Added Feb 7, 2018 - 1:34pm
LOL  I love the "What If" game.  If memory also changes, then as noted all of these options could have and maybe have already happened.  LOL
mark henry smith Added Feb 7, 2018 - 1:50pm
I predict that I will get my first novel published this year, as I predicted more than twenty years ago when I wrote Marko as a character. I predicted the Eagles would win the Super Bowl after their first game of the season. I predicted the smart phone would change my life forever. I predict that Donald Trump will not survive four years in office. No president can go around saying he hopes the government shuts down. It shows he has no understanding of how much pain and problems it causes to so many.

The man is so out of touch with reality it's amazing he became a reality television star, but maybe the irony was the point. Only time will tell.

Joe, it's good to see you feeling better. What if prayer could heal cancer? But you had to pray for others and get them to pray for you, like a gift exchange of prayer? How would that change the future?