This is one of the biggest injustices thrust upon society, within the last one hundred years.
You would think in our modern world that logic would prevail, and the old illogical emotions around this issue would subside. It appeared that the USA was on the right path, although moving slowly towards doing the right thing. (perhaps waiting for some more of the old guard to die off)
- The law as it stands today, was put in place by a guy who was trying to keep his job after prohibition ended. (Harry Anslinger)
- The major pharma, alcohol, tobacco, and even textile industries(Hemp) jumped on the ‘reefer madness’ propaganda campaign.
- Statements were made in newspapers that if white woman smoked this stuff, they could run off with black men. (and then jump off the balcony because they think they can fly)
- Eventually all the States agreed with him, and then most of the world’s countries jumped on board. (after many years of hard lobbying)
- Every major study done since has confirmed it is less harmful than legal drugs, yet it still remains a Class 1 restricted drug.
The old guard just cannot admit they were wrong all along. So, to this day they defend their stupidity by saying things like; no good people smoke pot. So, I guess that means a significant % of the population are bad people?
The lobbying efforts of the major companies who would be affected, must still play a huge role. But to leave it as a Class 1 restricted drug, given the evidence we have, just seems WRONG! And on top of that, hemp which is NOT psychoactive, falls under the same Draconian laws.
Can anyone help me understand why?