A New Perspective

I teach school at a reservation school in ND school. Just before school started in August 2017, I was told that medically, I was very fit. By early September I could not stand on my own and no one knew why.
Then God stepped in. I was told I could not get to see the doctors I needed to see to get a diagnosis until the END of October 2017, another 6-7 week away, medical protocol. God arranged for a visiting doctor from WV to see me right away. This doctor took a biopsy and found I had cancer, but not the specific kind of cancer, just that bit was lymphatic cancer. Medical protocol said I could not see a cancer doctor until I knew the specific kind of cancer. My visiting doctor, through God's direction, rammed my case into the Cancer Center anyway. The Cancer Doctor took a quick looked at my situation and ordered me to start chemo BEFORE we had a specific diagnosis, again against protocol.
He said my cancer was so advanced, stage 4, and so aggressive, that I could not wait for the protocol diagnosis. He started my general Lymphatic chemo the next Monday. Then Tuesday he got the specific kind of cancer, Non-Hodgkin type B. He then adjusted my treatment for that specific cancer. I have completed 5 of 6 "regular" chemo treatments. My last regular one is 1/22 to 26/2018.
My doctor's last concern is cancer getting into my brain. Spinal tap done last Friday came back with a preliminary result that said my spine and brain are clear of cancer. But to be safe he wants me to have 3 special chemo sessions with some very extra nasty chemo.
This special chemo will take about 3 hours to put into me but is so nasty that it will take 3 - 10 days to get it out of my system. It is so dangerous that I cannot be around others until lab tests prove the chemo level in my body is safe for me to be around others. On the bright side, the doctor is talking about cured and not just remission.
On my way to my first chemo treatment, I heard a message on the radio that God moves mountains before you even know there are mountains that need to be moved. Then a dear friend came by to visit. He gave me a card that said God removes mountains before you even know you a mountain that needs to be moved. Before I even knew I had cancer, God had removed all the mountains of medical protocols before I even knew I had cancer! Trust and live knowing that God is in charge because He is.

Autumn Cote Added Jan 8, 2018 - 4:07pm
Please note, it's against the rules to post articles here unless you comment on the work of others.
Joe Chiang Added Jan 9, 2018 - 3:30pm
I DID comment on other posts.  But if that is not enough, then I'll just leave again.
George N Romey Added Jan 9, 2018 - 6:43pm
A great story. Godspeed to you.
Dino Manalis Added Jan 9, 2018 - 7:27pm
Too many regulations in the health care industry.  Take care of yourself.  God is with us!
Autumn Cote Added Jan 9, 2018 - 8:03pm
At the time of this article's release it had been months since you commented on the work of someone else.  Please note, to improve your articles readability, I highly recommend adding white space between paragraphs.
Shane Laing Added Jan 10, 2018 - 2:02am
I'm not a believer but if it helps give you inner strength then good for you.  I just wish you the very best.
William Stockton Added Jan 10, 2018 - 2:22am
Joe, I am truly sorry for your recent bout.  I too wish you a speedy recovery and look forward to your good health.
William Stockton Added Jan 10, 2018 - 2:35am
Obviously, not a smart AI . . . it missed the nuance of Joe not being able to comment on this website because Joe was ill since late last year.  A dumb AI would have easily missed this very small detail whereas a compassionate & intellectual human would have certainly noted the cause for Joe's absence of late as dictated in his article.
I took a screenshot of the AI's reply here.  It is probably worth an article and further analysis.
Thomas Napers Added Jan 10, 2018 - 4:41am
Godspeed in your recovery.  For whatever it's worth, I think you give way too much credit to God and way too little credit to your doctors.
Doug Plumb Added Jan 10, 2018 - 4:56am
re "It just dawned on me that Autumn is really just an AI.  I mean, no real person could possibly be that soulless."
She probably doesn't read every article.
Doug Plumb Added Jan 10, 2018 - 4:58am
I would look to alternative medicine if I had this. Good luck Joe.
Even A Broken Clock Added Jan 10, 2018 - 10:23am
Joe, thanks for your story. I hope the last courses of chemo go well.
As for the commenting issue, I had this come up myself. If you have not commented in the 2 days prior to a post, you will likely get one of the messages from Autumn. So if you have not posted in a long time, make sure you make some comments in the day or so before you place your posts.
Autumn Cote Added Jan 10, 2018 - 10:38am
I didn’t read this article before writing either of my two prior comments.  I simply saw that a long-time participant of Writer Beat had violated the rules.  The rules exist no matter the content of the article, but if I had read the article I would have probably said nothing.  I look forward to reading your article William.
Dave Volek Added Jan 10, 2018 - 11:00am
Glad to have you back Joe. Good luck on further recovery.
I think you need some software that enforces your rules rather than a human being. It takes edge off from what you are trying to accomplish.
To promote my book, I have been posting on various communities of G+. Not a stitch of interest.
William Stockton Added Jan 10, 2018 - 11:06am
Autumn, I appreciate your acknowledgment of 1) you are not an AI;  2) you have compassion.
Perhaps your long-time content creators deserve a bit more credit/scrutiny before you warrant without review?  Just saying . . .
Autumn Cote Added Jan 10, 2018 - 11:32am
It depends on the long-time contributor.  In Joe’s last offering I gave him the nicer comment request and he proceeded not to comment on the work of others. So this one was deserving of my harsher tone.  In addition, I get annoyed when any author doesn’t take a few minutes to clean up their formatting.
Joe Chiang Added Jan 10, 2018 - 1:38pm
Ah, I wrote a comment the same day I posted this article.  I would like to thank all those who have responded here.  I have returned to work, but after 3 days, my weakness is catching up with me.  I hope to make it through the rest of this week.
For those who are not believers, perhaps I might provide some challenging thoughts.  For example, scientifically, we know that space dust gathers at the constant rate of about 1/2 inch every thousand years.  So if the earth, and therefore the moon, were just two billion years old, then the space dust gathered on the moon, without an atmosphere, would be about one billion inches.  This might approximate the distance from the earth to the space station.  However, when you watch the actual moon walks, there is only about 2 1/2 inches of dust.  This would approximate 5000 years of age.  Interesting that the Bible chronicles the age of the earth and moon at about 5000 years.  You may not want to believe the Bible and what is in it, but the scientific accuracy cannot be denied.
mark henry smith Added Jan 10, 2018 - 3:39pm
Joe, as a believer and a skeptic of stories, that they are allusions to a greater truth and not "absolute" truth, I hold you in my prayers. I have felt God, or whatever you wish to call this force that holds sway in this realm. These people who thinks it's people have to have such big blinders on that I'm amazed that they can even see their own feet and aren't constantly tripping over obstacles, like dogs with those surgical collars on.
God wants you to be strong and continue to do the good work that has been given to you as a gift. That's right, all ye of little faith, God gives us good, hard work as a gift, gives us a sense of duty, a sense of morality, and a sense of peace that defies all logic. Love to you, and yours.
Neil Lock Added Jan 10, 2018 - 8:35pm
Joe: Great to meet you across on Opher's thread.
I'm not religious, so for me the doctor from West Virginia is the hero in this case. He defied received wisdom (and maybe damaged his own career) to help you. It's a sad commentary on today's politics that he should have to do that.
And I wish you a speedy recovery, and success and happiness going forward.
Joe Chiang Added Jan 11, 2018 - 1:19pm
Thank you all.
I'll do a round two and if no one wants me to go further, I will stop here.
Let's consider Sexual reproduction.  Evolution says "Survival of the Fittest" is what rules evolution.  Now consider sexual and asexual reproduction, which is more reliable?  Asexual, of course.  So why has sexual reproduction become the standard over the surer asexual reproduction?
There are three requirements for sexual reproduction to develop spontaneously from asexual plants and animals. First there must be a male and female that spontaneously became close enough to the same species to reproduce.  A donkey and horse are close, but they produce a mule that cannot reproduce.  There are many other examples, all other cross species attempts in fact.
Now consider proximity.  Assume a male and female do spontaneously develop of the same species.  They must be close enough together, geographically, to meet, have sex, and reproduce.  If the male spontaneously develops in New York and the Female in France, how will they ever meet to procreate?  There are billions of locations, coordinates, all over the earth where the male could become a male and billions of coordinates where the female could become a female.  To find the probability, you multiply these billions together.  There is more probability of buying a one loto ticket in each state and winning every one than a male and female could spontaneously develop in the same geographic area.
But let's grant the same species development and in the same geographic area.  There is a third factor that must be considered, time.  If the male developed now and the female one hundred years from now, how would they be able to procreate?  So spontaneously becoming a sexual species from an asexual species is almost impossible by itself, this occurring within proximity of each other is also nearly impossible by itself, and that both of these might occur at the same relative time is nearly impossible by itself.  But for all three to happen is not possible statistically.  You would have a better chance in putting all the parts of a computer in a big bag, shake it up, and have a working computer come out, a MUCH better chance.
So the entire concept of survival of the fittest does not work under careful analysis.  There is and has been no example of cross species or new species spontaneous development over the last 5000 years.  By the scientific method, this observing is required for evolution to be anything more than a bad un-provable theory.
Doug Plumb Added Jan 11, 2018 - 6:01pm
You are right IMO Joe. The sexual reproduction thing sort of kills the evolutionary theory. There is one additional requirement for asexual reproduction: The pair have to (1) want to do the sexual act (2) for that, they must know how. As a little kid who first learned about it prior to puberty, the process sounded kind of gross. I was assured that in a few years, when I got to be a teenager, that taking part in this process would be all I ever thought about and they were right. Now, love is a component of this and that is a separate issue. For every beautiful woman there is a man who has grown tired of carrying out this process with her. After a while, physical beauty wears off if its not backed up by something more, something science cannot explain.
Doug Plumb Added Jan 11, 2018 - 6:01pm
"asexual" should be "sexual" - sorry about that.
Joe Chiang Added Jan 12, 2018 - 10:00am
Doug, you are correct when it comes to human sexuality.  I was trying to stay our of human sexuality in this piece.  Some plants are asexual and some sexual in their reproduction.  I cannot think of any animals that are asexual in their reproduction.  But if there are no asexual animals, then there is the issue of spontaneously becoming an animal from a plant as well as from asexual to sexual.  I find it interesting that I don't recall receiving any argument to my statements from the evolutionists.  LOL
Doug Plumb Added Jan 12, 2018 - 6:43pm
You could have two germs that somehow separated into male and female - but what would make them want to get together and do something very specific ? How did this evolve prior to sexual separation ? If they were separated then the desire "evolved" - that would be impossible because evolution takes generations. That is what kills it for me. There would be no evolutionary advantage to creating desire while the creature is one and not two.
  Communists need evolution to eliminate the "self" to make science trample over the idea completely. This is necessary so that we allow them to destroy Western Jurisprudence, which is entirely based on the right to ones self. Its a scam, just like everything else. Its a comic book world we live in.
  People that believe in evolution tend not to be "deep thinkers". Lots of Phd's will say quietly that they don't believe it, same with doctors, but never in public.
Doug Plumb Added Jan 12, 2018 - 6:44pm
Its a fun debate that you can carry on while doing something else 8-)
Doug Plumb Added Jan 12, 2018 - 6:46pm
re "I'll do a round two and if no one wants me to go further, I will stop here."
Please do so, 8-)
Joe Chiang Added Jan 12, 2018 - 7:00pm
Doug, we are in agreement.  :)
Doug Plumb Added Jan 13, 2018 - 4:02am
Maybe primordial ooze was soaked in alcohol and one of the germs opened a bar so the germs felt comfortable experimenting after a few drinks.
Doug Plumb Added Jan 13, 2018 - 4:04am
Woiuldn't it be funny if we got robots and they became sentient through evolution then went away to just make more robots and let us shovel our own driveways and wipe our own asses 8-)
mark henry smith Added Jan 13, 2018 - 11:42am
Worms engage in asexual reproduction, I do believe.
mark henry smith Added Jan 13, 2018 - 11:45am
Two germs walk into a bar and the one orders a club soda and the other orders a shot of vodka. The soda drinker asks the vodka drinker, "What are you doing, Alfie? Don't you know alcohol will kill ya'?"
Alfie says, "I'm feeling super-bugged today."
Joe Chiang Added Jan 13, 2018 - 12:21pm
There are a few animals that cross over.  Worms may be one of them.  I believe they do sexually procreate.  But, if they are cut apart, they can become two individual worms.  I'm not sure that qualifies as asexual reproduction or not.  Also, if that worm were introduced to a maze with electrical shocks, then eaten b another worm, the consuming worm "learns" to avoid the electrical shocks without experiencing them.  Maybe that is why warriors ate parts of their fallen enemy and there is some truth to this acquiring of talents?!
B.E. Ladin Added Jan 14, 2018 - 5:32pm
The work you do is so important.  I hope that you are able to share your positive outlook on the world with your students and the community.  My thoughts are with you!
Joe Chiang Added Jan 14, 2018 - 6:05pm
Thank you.  I do share and will do so until I am forced out of education.  But that is no later than summer 2020.  :)
mark henry smith Added Jan 16, 2018 - 12:46pm
Joe, I hope you're feeling stronger.
What I heard about worms is that some carry both genders and can reproduce using sex. Now whether that counts as asexual reproduction or masturbation is the question. A worm's flexibility would make this possible, and I always thought that only one-half of a cut worm survives to regrow, the side with the heart in it and brain in it.
Joe Chiang Added Jan 16, 2018 - 2:29pm
I believe worms, ordinary earthworms, have sections.  If they are cut at such a section, I believe BOTH sections become separate individuals and survive.
Joe Chiang Added Jan 22, 2018 - 5:02pm
Thanks.  I'm plugged in for my last Chemo week of this "regular Chemo.  Next one will be the extra nasty stuff.  What fun!  But God is in charge.  Sometimes its hard to see His hand in  things, but He moved mountains of "Medical Procedures" before I even knew there were mountains.
John Minehan Added Jan 22, 2018 - 5:15pm
Clearly, you have bot worked in many bureaucracies!
Joe Chiang Added Jan 22, 2018 - 5:18pm
John, I believe you are wrong about Autumn.  But that is just me.
John Minehan Added Jan 22, 2018 - 5:19pm
Best to you, Joe.
Docs often don't appreciate their power within the health care system.  Thankfully, yours did.
John Minehan Added Jan 22, 2018 - 5:21pm
Not Autumn, but the iron laws of organizations that probably bind all of us to our detriment.
Joe Chiang Added Jan 22, 2018 - 8:00pm
Rules are rues.  If you d not like a rule then petition to have the rule removed or changed.  :)  Until then, its still the rule.