Getting steamed by Steemit

First of all: Ignore this post.

Steemit, a website that basically promises you some kind of vague, eventually financial reward in return for your blogging, wants me to verify my identity by mentioning them here. I'm not making this up. I don't understand how that verifies anything, or why anyone would care, but they are pretty strict with their security stuff so I suppose they know what they're doing.

If you want to check them out, I'm over at: https://steemit.com/@markrhunter ... and granted I do sometimes post things there that I don't on WB, but on the other hand it's stuff I figure WB users wouldn't be interested in, anyway.

So why did I go there? I was invited, and talked myself into trying it. Pretty much the same way I ended up here. One could make the reasonable argument that I should concentrate more on my book writing.

Comments

The Burghal Hidage Added Jan 13, 2018 - 7:24am
Ok, I ignored it Mark ;)

I'll take a look. And yes, more time on the book is a good idea. Seems to be working well for me. Keep going friend!
John Minehan Added Jan 13, 2018 - 8:52am
Good luck with your writing; it is worth reading.
Mark Hunter Added Jan 13, 2018 - 6:20pm
I will indeed increase my efforts in the writing—and the encouragement is greatly appreciated!
Thomas Napers Added Jan 14, 2018 - 5:47am
Did you really just write an article describing a site not to waste our time at?

How does mentioning there site here resolve anything about security there?
Mark Hunter Added Jan 14, 2018 - 7:00am
Yep, that's why I started with "ignore this post". Maybe I should have put that in the title, but maybe that would have just caused more people to look at it.

Beats me. Apparently it's one way they confirm that I'm who they say I am, which is fine unless I'm not me here, either.
Dave Volek Added Jan 14, 2018 - 12:11pm
I had an internet acquaintance who was posting his instructional videos on You-tube about his craft. Apparently he was quite successful and earning some decent ad revenue from these videos.

Then some lawyers approached You-tube saying the videos actually belonged to their client, and my acquaintance was the fraud. You-tube declined to investigate and pulled the videos.

Anyway, that was the story from the side of my acquaintance. I see a whole bunch of legal issues of "who is really who" on the internet. Steemit just might be trying to get ahead of possible conflicts.

Mark Hunter Added Jan 14, 2018 - 11:55pm
That's my feeling for what they're trying to do, and since some people are actually making some money there, it makes sense.

One of the things that really gripes me on the internet is how sites don't bother to investigate these claims. I have a friend who gets put in "Facebook jail" regularly because someone has it out for him and makes regular false claims that FB never actually looks into.

Recent Articles by Writers Mark Hunter follows.