The Like Switch and How Social Justice Bullies Turn It Off

The book “The Like Switch” lists common pitfalls that impede verbal exchanges and cause others to dislike you. What I noticed was how social justice warriors do everything on the list, likely explaining why they are so widely detested. The numbered list gives the advice from the book “The Like Switch” regarding what NOT to do. Following them is what social justice warriors often do.

1.    Avoid talking about topics that engender negative feelings in your listener. Constantly triggering negative feelings make people feel bad about themselves and like you less.

When your primary conversation topic is how bad society is, how bad everyone and everything is, you make them feel bad and like you less.

When your primary weapons of “change” are shaming, blaming and shunning, you are by definition generating negative feelings among everyone around you. Those who get “named” and shamed will now dislike you and your movement forever.

Everyone else is left walking on eggshells for fear of becoming the next target develop negative feelings, too. The reputation demolition others witness leaves them angry and frustrated, though they may be too afraid of liberal bullies to speak up.

The liberal haters who pour vitriol on others who remain neutral or express concern about evidence and due process, in their misguided “you’re either with us or you’re one of the bad people”, cause many others to dislike them. While they can enlist many social justice bullies to pile onto the target of today’s 2 minute hate, the demands that the target’s friends and family either disassociate or join in the pile-on make those individuals feel bad one way or the other and dislike the movement.

2.    Don’t constantly complain about your problems, your family’s problems, the world’s problems.

In the developed world, real “aggressions” against various officially oppressed groups are so rare that liberal bullies invented the concept of “micro-aggressions” to complain about. And the list of what is sexist, racist, -phobic grows longer. They derive moral authority from being an aggrieved victim, and given the sheer number of complainants, their solution is to find new and more exotic things to complain about. This is how you get academics saying that free speech is white supremacy, math is racist and sexist, and every old TV show should be banned.

3.    Avoid talking excessively about yourself.

“I’m offended.” “I don’t like this.” “As a member of X group, I think –“ I, I, I, me, me, me. “I say it hurts me, so you have to stop doing it.” And like a child raised without healthy boundaries, giving in to one demand provides only temporary respite before they make the next demand, though the constant litany of how they feel and what they want doesn’t stop at all.

4.    Don’t engage in meaningless chatter.

We already discussed micro-aggressions as a way to make others dislike you. Now imagine the impact this has on civil discourse. In fact, we already see it. No one dares criticize the member of an officially oppressed group for fear of being named, blamed and shamed. So no one provides constructive feedback that lets the person grow. No one wants to discuss deep topics for fear of being called a bigot and publicly denounced much less the subject of liberal violence.

What is there left to talk about? Meaningless platitudes and repetition of the politically correct statements. And when liberals say everything is political, even idle talk about weather, sports and celebrity gossip is eroded because they demand everything be political. When you’re down to minimal discussion at work about work because everyone is afraid to say anything else, you destroy both the free flow of ideas necessary for creativity and productivity and people’s ability to form any relationships with each other beyond “cog in machine”.

You may still have deep and meaningful conversations with friends, people you spend a lot of time vetting to make sure they are “safe” to talk to. But with the moral peacock, the SJW, nothing is safe except meaningless chatter. Per the book “The Like Switch”, this ensures no one will ever like them.

5.    Avoid expressing too little or too much emotional. Extreme displays of emotion may put you in a bad light.

One interesting argument liberals make is that “tone policing” is bigotry. Their argument is that they cannot be heard unless they shout. Thus, you’re the bad one for telling them not to yell at you. In short, they’re claiming the right to scream at people. This will not make anyone feel good about themselves or the liberal bully.

Another issue is their equating of words with violence. By saying words equal violence, they justify violence against those who disagree with them as well as any property damage and destruction they do in response to your “hate speech”. Whether it is a moral peacock having a screaming fit in response to others trying to hold a discussion on a topic the SJW doesn’t like or threatening violence in response to words they disagree with, these extreme displays of emotion put them in a bad light.

Now consider the weaponization of empathy. To share facts contrary to someone’s sacred narrative is described as an invalidation of self, an attack on their very identity. “You disagreed with me, it is like you want me dead!” While the hyperbole may get them sympathy in the short run and give them moral weight for their demands at that moment, in the long run, it makes them seem irrational, insane, incapable of self-control and far too erratic to ever be trusted. People naturally stay away from the extremely unpredictable, especially if they are afraid of the person’s actions.

No one likes someone who can blow up at random over trivial things, much less a group that does explode into extreme anger and hysterics with a chance of beatings, property damage and deliberate destruction of the target's life. The fact that such tactics are regularly employed to keep people submissive out of fear, in the name of love and virtue, is just rank hypocrisy ... or really good branding by liberal bullies.

Comments

Bill H. Added Jan 16, 2018 - 8:39pm
"When your primary weapons of “change” are shaming, blaming and shunning, you are by definition generating negative feelings among everyone around you."
Shortly followed by:
"The liberal haters who pour vitriol on others who remain neutral or express concern about evidence and due process, in their misguided “you’re either with us or you’re one of the bad people”, cause many others to dislike them
".
Along with a few other utterances of "shaming and blaming" seems to counteract your advice.
Speaking of "haters"..........
From my view, "liberals" simply detest and fight the opposing platform issues, while "conservatives" detest and hate those who identify with the opposing party.
If you must, don't hate the messenger, hate the message.
Tamara Wilhite Added Jan 16, 2018 - 9:03pm

Bill H. You're assuming that I disagree with people because I hate them. I know that many liberals hate conservatives in general. When you say your ideology alone is "love, rational, tolerant, educated, smart", it lets you demonize everyone else as stupid, crazy, ignorant at best, or "hate".

When companies are paying people to tell their employees things like this, how is that NOT systemic oppression? How is a woman paid to stand up and allowed to say this not expressing her racist hatred of whites?

Ashleigh Shackleford, HR training, saying all white people are racist, you aren't human

Bill Kristol's statement is not unique. If your view is that an entire group should shut up and go away, isn't that hatred? Or, at a minimum, elitist contempt?
Bill Kristol Says ‘Lazy’ White Working Class Should Be Replaced By ‘New Americans’

Liberals cannot seem to separate ethnicity from culture, but they predominately hate both Western culture and whites. Can you imagine how racist it would seem if someone had a modern day course on "abolishing blackness" or "eliminating women"? And no, disagreeing about illegal immigration and affirmative action is NOT equal to invalidating people's existence. Invalidating people's existence is what the liberal schools like the one below are teaching.

Stanford University Introduces Course on ‘Abolishing Whiteness’

When hash tags like kill all whites, kill all men and kill all Jews pass Twitter's trust and safety council standards, we know there's a liberal bias in big tech. It is something many of them learned in college. In the example below, the debate was on renewable energy ...

BLM activist advocates white genocide at Harvard
Tubularsock Added Jan 16, 2018 - 9:35pm
Now there is only one solution here to level the playing field, Tamara.

And that is Tubularsock’s Retro-Tolerant-Aggression-Theory (RTAT).

And that is to HATE everyone equally. It is so much more emotionally liberating than attempting to “get along”.

And both liberals and conservative can finally agree.

Problem solved, NEXT.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Jan 16, 2018 - 9:57pm
To Bill H's credit, I must admit that liberals often drive me up the wall and more so than even Nazis (something I learnt on WB).

And I think it is not only everything on the list above, but also the sheer numbers. Nazis are no threat in my world. They are too few. And most of them are not even Nazis. If somebody does not believe in the Holocaust because he cannot see blood, he is not quite the original thing, especially if they are not against Jews per se. Confused and crazy? Yes. Am I afraid? No.

People who want to overthrow the constitution because they don't accept election results, who confiscate people's guns and who silence others while defending the worst of the worst among Muslims, give me concern and do enrage me. It is also the dishonesty thing. The lack of self-awareness. The self-righteousness.

Do I hate? Yes. If all your rights are taken away from you because the people are now 'good', 'loving' and 'nice' like the medieval church, you do hate at some point.
Bill H. Added Jan 16, 2018 - 10:22pm

Tamara - Your rhetoric shows your hate for those who disagree with your views, as does the words of many self-anointed "Rightists" out here on WB.
You most likely assume that I am a "Liberal" simply for questioning your words, so if the title keeps you happy, then we will stick with it.
I do not come out against people who have opposite views than I do, I simply come out against the views.  I do not follow any platforms, and have voted for members of both parties in the past.
I do detest haters from either "side".
Again - don't hate the messenger, hate the message.
Tamara Wilhite Added Jan 16, 2018 - 10:25pm
 Benjamin Goldstein You're right on the lack of self-awareness, in general, among liberals. They readily point out everyone else's biases, as well as engage in projection and mind-reading, that they know your unconscious, unproven biases.

Even if you're treating everyone equally and respectful, they KNOW you're really sexist, homophobic, etc. Point out those biases, and you're accused of spewing hate and confirming their biases, which they deny having.

I've sat in diversity training that was not quite as bad as the one I linked to above. The trainer stating that all whites are racist, all men are sexist, all heterosexuals are homophobic and transphobic ... I asked if the trainer recognized the explicit bias in that statement and ended up reprimanded. No, you're all here because we assume we're going to lecture and berate you out of your implicit bias.

And all that's aside from the warping of implicit bias theory and tests that have many possible other interpretations. Or the explicit biases displayed in diversity "training" as well as the company policies that mandate it along with social engineering of the workfroce.

Almost two decades after its introduction, the implicit association test has failed to deliver on its lofty promises.

Dr. Jordan Peterson: The Dangers of Unconscious Bias Testing
Tamara Wilhite Added Jan 16, 2018 - 10:35pm

Tubularsock I wish liberals could be tolerant of different opinions. Agree to disagree. The problem is the "everything is political".
In the name of love, they threaten violence and give themselves permission to hate the unbelievers. In this case, everyone who disagrees with them.

(Note, that's why we cannot accept hate speech laws, because liberals by their own definition consider all other views "hate" and thus to be banned.)

I recognize the difference between authoritarian liberals (SJWs) and classic liberals. A few classic liberals like Dave Rubin, Youtuber Sargon of Akkad and Scott Adams are standing up to the liberal bullies.

Too many others, though, either go along because of the shared language of empathy and care, are afraid to speak up for their literal safety, or agree with the end results while distancing themselves from the supposedly not-really-liberal. They're kindred to moderate Muslims who say fundamentalist Muslims committing acts of terrorism per the words of the Koran and their imams aren't really Muslim, our ideology is perfect, we're the real victims, you're bad for being afraid of us.

Tamara Wilhite Added Jan 16, 2018 - 11:43pm
Bill H. I don't hate you. I don't hate liberals as a group.

I can hate their actions, erosion of civil society and civil rights without hating THEM. Hate the sin, not the sinner.

Your assumption that the emotion "hate" explains my dissenting view  reveals your biases, not mine. You assume that I am conservative because I hate? Not different moral channels, to use Johnathan Haidt's term, or a different worldview. No, just say you're love so they're by definition hate ...

I think a sizable minority of liberals actually hate white men on principle, while white women are just a little higher on the totem pole.
Dino Manalis Added Jan 17, 2018 - 1:47pm
Maximize the positives and minimize the negatives!
Ian Thorpe Added Jan 17, 2018 - 4:12pm
Tamara, I don't hate leftists (liberals, progressives, anarcho - syndicalists, socialists, Marxists whatever they style themselves,) but I do hate their quasi - religious conviction that they have a monopoly on truth, virtue and empathy. I recall a sociology lecturer a long time ago telling his class of which I was a member, as we discussed the role of religion in human development, that all Marx had done was take the core of the Jewish faith and replaced God with The State. It made a lot of sense to me then and it makes even more now as I encounter on a daily basis the dogma and certainties of the left.
We Classical Liberals however try to avoid certainties knowing that nothing we do will ever be completely wrong or completely right. We just have to blunder along hoping that our decisions are more right than wrong.
This may seem a defeatist attitude to some but classical liberal governments have no social catastrophes to compare with those of communism or socialism.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Jan 17, 2018 - 4:32pm
That's complete nonsense.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Jan 17, 2018 - 4:38pm
Sorry that I bore with repetition, but I would be dishonest if I didn't say that I do hate at times. I don't hate the person. I forgive and I want to make peace. But given the aggression that comes from their side, I find it hard not to feel really angry. And, of course, liberalism, like Islam, is all fun as long as they are only a minority. Numbers matter.
RobL_V2 Added Jan 17, 2018 - 6:17pm
Dino,

you got me hearing Bing Crosby in my head, ’you got to ac-cent-u-ate the positive e-lim-in-ate the negative, latch on to the affirmative, don’t mess with Mr Inbetween...,
Dave Volek Added Jan 18, 2018 - 2:05pm
Liberal vs. conservative? Capitalist vs. Socialist? Left vs right?

Sometimes we just have to try a societal directive out and see where it goes. No one has a monopoly on how things will turn out if we take the left fork in the road or the right fork.

The sky is not going to fall.
Flying Junior Added Jan 18, 2018 - 3:00pm
Shorter Tamara White

Buy my book where I explain how liberals are all vicious trolls.
Jeffrey Kelly Added Jan 18, 2018 - 7:59pm
Tamara, you have serious issues.  I don’t know what happened but you really need to work it out.
Tamara Wilhite Added Jan 19, 2018 - 7:49pm

Dave Volek We know where the social justice bullies will take us - the Chinese Great Leap Forward and the French Revolution.
Tamara Wilhite Added Jan 19, 2018 - 7:49pm
Flying Junior Vox Day wrote something similar.
Flying Junior Added Jan 20, 2018 - 4:43am
Yeah,

Great Book.  Social Justice Warriors Always Lie.

By that agent provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos?

You're not even half-ass trying to reach out to liberals.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Jan 21, 2018 - 9:45am
Tamara: It's scary to realize that they are not after Nazis, but after you.

Just in the last couple of weeks, Martin Sellner, a conservative activist in Austria (don't know details and how good his ideas are) saw his car torched, his bank accounts of three banks blocked, all his social media profiles scrapped (Twitter, Facebook, Youtube) and his book was taken out of the sortiment of Amazon. This is what happens when liberals become a majority in a country. It is just as bad, maybe worse than, Islam.

I mean when it comes to real Nazis, they are not after Nazis at all. Not AT ALL. This WB user xanadu saw no criticism at all when he said that National Socialism has a place in the 21 century and that it's 'science'. Now, that he has deleted so many people, it would be foolish to engage him, but, man, does it take a lot for liberals to even disagree with Nazi propaganda when its real.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Jan 21, 2018 - 9:47am
Oh, and according to xanudu down syndrom children are monsters. Just imagine a conservative had said that. But as long as somebody is against religion (like Hitler), anything goes.
Tamara Wilhite Added Jan 21, 2018 - 5:48pm
Flying Junior You're right that the far left makes things miserable for everyone. Communist William Shetterley has received death threats from them for years for criticizing liberal identity politics.