The Beat Goes On XXII

To anyone that appreciates Writer Beat and wishes to see the site grow, this is how you can help me (I also think it's fun prospecting for participants, especially when you land an active one):

Step 1 – Create a Disqus profile.  Disqus is a comment system that a lot of websites use.  I’ve discovered a great way to snatch Disqus users and convert them to Writer Beat participants.  The problem is that Disqus has figured me out and banned me.

Step 2 – Find Disqus commenters you like or think would be good fit for Writer Beat and write them this message (or a message like this one) as a reply comment:

Would it be OK if I converted this comment into a stand-alone article for Writer Beat? There is no fee; I’m simply trying to add more content diversity for Writer Beat's community of authors/readers and liked what you wrote. I’ll be sure to give you complete credit as the author. You can learn more about Writer Beat by clicking on my profile or just reply "sure" and I'll handle the rest.

Step 3 – Send me the link to the comment thread.  I’ll create a Writer Beat account in the author’s name and figure out a way to have the comment work as a stand-alone article (so look for long-winded commenters).  Then we wait for Writer Beat commenters to provide some feedback.  Afterwards, I advise sending them a link to their article.  To avoid Disqus spam guard, I usually say something like this:

I think Disqus blocked my effort to send you a link to your article.  To find it, do a Google search on the following: The Beat Goes On XXII Autumn Cote

Comments

Stone-Eater Added Jan 19, 2018 - 1:30pm
No sweat dear. I'll try it :-)
Benjamin Goldstein Added Jan 19, 2018 - 2:12pm
I actually have asked some people recently to join WB. So far no luck.
Autumn Cote Added Jan 19, 2018 - 5:06pm
Please try my system.  I've had tremendous success using it.  People like to be flattered and feel like their words aren't being wasted.  It also gives you the opportunity to influence the type of users/content that appears here.
Even A Broken Clock Added Jan 20, 2018 - 11:03am
Autumn - not having used Disqus before, I looked at it and have a question. Assuming I choose the free option, does it essentially serve as another place for me to place my blog posts outside of my own web blog? Or does it somehow get linked to my wordpress account? I would be glad to try, but my current blog outside of writerbeat does not get many comments and I'm not sure how this will work. Thanks in advance.
Autumn Cote Added Jan 20, 2018 - 12:07pm
No.  Basically other blogs have outsourced the comment section to Disqus.  For example, if you want to comment on an article you read in the Washington Post or Breitbart, you would have to set up a Disqus account.  I betcha Disqus runs the comment section for over a 1,000 websites.
Nicholas Schroeder Added Jan 20, 2018 - 4:20pm
Disqus has been banning/blocking/censoring my comments for many months now. Registration unlikely. Same for MSN, Akismet, AAAS, et. al.
Dave Volek Added Jan 20, 2018 - 4:43pm
Autumn

I tried three times to search the keywords suggested. I the WB article at or near the top, but nothing outside of WB.

I'm surprised Nicolas Schroeder was banned. He seems like a reasonable fellow on WB. But all these "automated" programs need are a few complaints, and sane voices can be shut down.

I too have posted several times to get people interested in WB. I managed to get one fellow to come, but he only stayed to make a few comments. But I think he was looking for his own echo chamber.

Barry aka. Hyperminde Added Jan 20, 2018 - 5:26pm
RE (Autumn C): if you want to comment on an article you read in the Washington Post or Breitbart, you would have to set up a Disqus account.  I betcha Disqus runs the comment section for over a 1,000 websites.

"Disqus Comment System" (WordPress.org Plugin) shows "200,000+" Installations.

If you look at its Ratings, the number for 1-Star is only a little lower than the 5-Star votes (average of 3-Stars).

RE (Dave V): I'm surprised ...... was banned.

I would say their "AI" Detection of "Evangelism" and "User Phishing" (steering people to other web sites) has been extensively trained..... The result is a system that is quick to put accounts on "the blacklist."

The "AI" probably doesn't care whether or not you're nice or reasonable.
Stone-Eater Added Jan 20, 2018 - 8:20pm
I'm one of the oldest regular users here, if not even the oldest. But sorry - since most of my contacts are either German or French speaking, I couldn't get them here.

And even though I've tried to get contacts from LinkedIn (I've got more that 1'100 connections, and many are active) not much interest showed up.

Maybe, to me it seems, it's the fact that WB is mainly American. And that keeps a lot of people away. Not everybody in the world is interested in US interna.

Wrong image ?

It's a pity, because we have so many authors here who are internationally oriented and write articles which concern all of us.
Autumn Cote Added Jan 20, 2018 - 9:36pm
Nicholas,
It took Disqus 6 months to catch on to my tactics and ban my account.

Dave,
You’re right the article you wrote isn’t coming up when I type that into Google.  Most of the time articles do appear, so I have no idea why yours isn’t.  Again, I know my system is highly effective at finding new users. Please give it a try.

Barry,
For whatever it’s worth, I think the Disqus comment system is excellent.  So excellent, that I might start using it for Writer Beat.

Stone,
Please give my system a try.  It most definitely works.
Michael B. Added Jan 21, 2018 - 11:02am
I've tried to recruit people, and the first thing out of their mouths is "How much does it pay?" Then I said it was "The Wild West of the Internet", but those days seem to be over. WB now sort of reminds me of a Stephen Crane story called "The Bride Comes to Yellow Sky", lol.
Autumn Cote Added Jan 21, 2018 - 11:04am
Michael,
My system works, you should give it a try.
Stone-Eater Added Jan 21, 2018 - 11:14am
Autumn

Ok, will do :-)
Dave Volek Added Jan 22, 2018 - 9:06am
Autumn
From my brief look at your post and Disqus, Disqus is only software to tack on to a website. It is not a forum in itself. I'm not sure what I should sign up to.
Autumn Cote Added Jan 22, 2018 - 9:58am
Dave,
Below is a link to an article from the website, Mother Jones.  To comment in this article you need a Disqus profile:

A. Jones Added Jan 31, 2018 - 8:14pm
The problem is that Disqus has figured me out and banned me.

So you would like us to be figured out and banned from Disqus?
Pardero Added Feb 20, 2018 - 2:36pm
Autumn,
I am sorry to report that I broke your multiple comment rule. I am not a rule breaker by nature. I will not always have the luxury of individual replies and may even appear to disappear for periods. I was torn between answering thoughtful replies, to writers that I value highly, and maybe not having the chance, because of my odd schedule. I will probably be an erratic and/or poor correspondent, but I rather like the bunch that you have gathered here. Thank you for inviting me.
Autumn Cote Added Feb 20, 2018 - 2:54pm
Jones,
If you’re currently a Disqus user, don’t help me find participants via Disqus. However, if you aren’t a Disqus user, what harm is there in potentially getting banned? By the way, would you mind if I associated an image with your account? Just let me know where to find it on the internet or send it to me via email and I'll take care of it.  As always, many thanks for your participation with Writer Beat!

Pardero,
Apology accepted and the gratitude is mine.
wsucram15 Added Feb 21, 2018 - 3:43am
what do you want to do? post our articles via our disqus..or all articles via disqus?
wsucram15 Added Feb 21, 2018 - 3:56am
I know tons of people that read the site, in fact ppl at hotel read it, but I cannot get anyone to write on here..vicious.
Autumn Cote Added Feb 21, 2018 - 4:47am
Please re-read my article, I provided a step by step guide on what I was hoping people would do.  I know the system works because almost everyone using the site right now, is a product of an outreach effort like the one I described above.
wsucram15 Added Feb 21, 2018 - 6:13am
done under same name i use on here...different email
Riley Brown Added Feb 22, 2018 - 10:42pm
I've tried steering friends to WG but when I show them the site most say it's to slow for them.  Any way to speed things up, logging on is painful.

Recent Articles by Writers Autumn Cote follows.