The Dumbing Down of the Human Race

Proving that even with huge advances in technology the human race in developed countries just seems to get dumber is a press release from Delta Airlines.  Delta is cracking down on the use of "emotional support" animals.

If someone chooses to fly with their pet there is a charge to do so.  The pet must also be contained in a travel case and may not be allowed to roam free in the cabin.  However, there is no charge and no such restrictions on "emotional support animals."  Apparently some people can't make it through the day without Fido or Tabby at their side.  This strange phenomenon began about 20 years ago (by coincidence about the same time the Internet took off).  Suddenly people could only function with Fido or Tabby at their side.  There was a time in society in which ordinary human beings were expected to make it through the day without their pets at their side 24/7.

Ok, maybe I'm being too harsh.  However, Delta had to finally crack down because passengers were going well beyond the typical dog or cat.  According to the press release flight crew and check in agents were barraged by support pigs, turkeys, snakes, hamsters, possums and guinea pigs among other animals.  Fido is one thing, Arnold Zifflel the pig or Tommy the turkey another.  Starting now Delta will allow only dogs and cats and passengers will be required to have a letter from a qualified physician indicating the animal is required for emotional and psychological well being.

Now certainly I get pets bring love and caring to their owners.  But at some point humans need to be human.  If you can't walk out the door without your pet Boa wrapped around your neck you are an idiot and a total whack job.  Grow up people.  For most life is hard, and for those of us born in the US or Western Europe its far easier than what others must endure.  Furthermore, no wants your little doggie or kitty running around their airplane (not to mention slivering snake or gobbling turkey) ready to soil the carpets.  If you can't stand to walk out the door without Fido, Tabby, Arnold, Tommy, Henry or Slimey please stay home.  Where you belong.

Comments

Tubularsock Added Jan 26, 2018 - 11:34am
Wow George, be careful your compassion is showing through.

To tell you the truth, Tubularsock would prefer to travel with a dog than with most of those “ordinary human beings” that one finds at an airport.

The reason for "emotional support" animals are varied. And is no different than the blind using support animals.

So your solution is for those people that need support for a variety of reasons to be put indoors and locked away like the 17th century? If one can’t cope?

Cheers, keep the home fires burning.
The Burghal Hidage Added Jan 26, 2018 - 12:17pm
So no more traveling with my menagerie of fruitbats  all named Kemal Ataturk ? Ahhh!
The Burghal Hidage Added Jan 26, 2018 - 12:19pm
at the Delta service counter ....

".....and finally are you traveling with any service animals?"

Umm, no ma'am, just this here trouser snake.
Bill H. Added Jan 26, 2018 - 12:46pm

I believe humans need the examples of life that animals show us more than ever. We are becoming clueless, emotionless, less-caring as a result of our technology and our technology-controlled lifestyles. Animals constantly show us their unconditional love.
We are always taught "don't behave like animals". What we should be taught is "BEHAVE LIKE ANIMALS"! Your ego does not make you human, it makes you selfish.

Katharine Otto Added Jan 26, 2018 - 3:25pm
George,
There's another reason for restricting animals on closed places like airplanes, and that is allergies.  I know lots of people who are allergic, especially to cats, but dogs, too.  Should they be forced to breathe the same air with these dander-spreaders?

However, I'm like Tubularsock.  I'd rather travel with animals than with many people.

Bottom line is this is not my problem.   I refuse to fly until the TSA is abolished.  Now that you've informed me I can't take my emotional support chickens, that's even more reason to drive or stay home.
Ian Thorpe Added Jan 26, 2018 - 3:34pm
I'd rather put up with the sniffles and sneezes triggered by animal secretions that have to deal with some nut throwing a wobbler because they were separated from their furry faced friend.
Jeff Michka Added Jan 26, 2018 - 4:06pm
Tubularsock sez: Well George, Tubularsock would suggest that we should lock up the “ordinary human beings” because they appear to be crazy for putting up with the insane world we slosh around in today.-Geo will be able to take his "emotional support deep state" with him on the plane.  AND Wow George, be careful your compassion is showing through.-When it's compassion for George, it means only thinking of George.   Maybe he can get his six-figure job working for the airlines sorting out "emotional support."  Problem for Geo is the animals don't dress to his standards and station in life, just like those awful employers disrespecting Geo with their dress.  Though, disrespecting Geo is pretty easy.
Jeff Jackson Added Jan 26, 2018 - 4:15pm
Nice article, George. Do they take flight insurance on their animals, and what is the "service dog" worth? Another nuance left to the lawyers, I suppose?
Bill Kamps Added Jan 27, 2018 - 7:08am
Gee George, I was looking forward to the day when a  plane flight would resemble a bus ride in Latin America.  You know with the chickens, ducks, baby goats, all along for the ride.  That is such a colorful experience, especially when a chicken gets loose, and starts crapping in the bus, with feathers flying everywhere.  People dont know what they are missing :)
Thomas Sutrina Added Jan 27, 2018 - 8:13am
George, I can take my elephant support animal on an airplane for nothing?  Great.  Where do I sign up?
The Burghal Hidage Added Jan 27, 2018 - 9:17am
You know George with that title you leave this open to much more fertile ground. We have in fact diluted and weakened our gene pool, victims of our own success as it were. Many traits which nature might have ideally "bred out" of the gene pool have instead been preserved and further propagated as a result of scientific and medical advances
The Burghal Hidage Added Jan 27, 2018 - 9:20am
in the spirit of the times there should be a federal holiday! hell, whats one more Monday off? Darwin Day. We will celebrate by sitting around our tv screens with our smart phones to watch the Darwin Awards. The nominees will be presented and viewers at home will vote by text from their smart phones to determine the winner
The Burghal Hidage Added Jan 27, 2018 - 9:21am
Lets start the chant.... DARWIN DAY!  DARWIN DAY! ....come one everybody! Sing along!
opher goodwin Added Jan 27, 2018 - 10:47am
George - I am not sure that is about dumbing down is it?
Katharine Otto Added Jan 27, 2018 - 9:14pm
Burghal,
According to the above hypothesis, the emotional support animals are smarter and more fit to survive than their owners.  Should Darwin Day be recognized, the humans may lose.  After all, who gets up and goes to work on Mondays, while the emotional support pets get to sleep all day? (Presuming they don't accompany their people to the work site.)
The Burghal Hidage Added Jan 28, 2018 - 2:25am
Darwin Day, I fear, is celebrated already, daily, on television screens and mobile devices.

I remember a line from the movie Cats and Dogs. An old hound dog scoffs: "Ha! They think they are in charge? You don't see us walking around behind them and cleaning up their poop, do you?"
Mark Hunter Added Jan 28, 2018 - 8:26am
Yeah, Darwin Day is already Darwin Year, and is celebrated--if that's the term you want to use--every year.
The problem with service animals, as in most areas, is that it's initially allowed for people who really need them, and almost immediately taken advantage of by people who don't. It's not always that easy to determine which is which.
The Burghal Hidage Added Jan 28, 2018 - 8:31am
perhaps the term you're seeking Mark is "wallow in"
Stephen Hunter Added Jan 28, 2018 - 8:50am
Makes logical sense to me George. People will take advantage of that rule because they can ship their pet for free.
opher goodwin Added Jan 28, 2018 - 9:19am
What about my pet elephant?
The Burghal Hidage Added Jan 28, 2018 - 9:25am
I'll see your elephant and raise you two wallabies
Mark Hunter Added Jan 28, 2018 - 10:47am
Wallow in, yeah ... that fits better.
Leroy Added Jan 28, 2018 - 12:01pm
Hmmm... If I take my sex robot partner with me, do I have to buy a ticket?
Mark Hunter Added Jan 28, 2018 - 9:00pm
She probably won’t fit in the overhead compartment.
Leroy Added Jan 30, 2018 - 8:23pm
Saw this one today.  A woman was denied her peacock.  What is the world coming to?  Who could possibly object sitting next to a peacock?
Mark Hunter Added Jan 30, 2018 - 11:39pm
Someone with a feather phobia?
Frosty Wooldridge Added Feb 4, 2018 - 12:12pm
Thank you for the injection of rational thought and critical thinking. Truly, the human race degrades its mind into the smart phone idiot box of the 21st century. Look for more comical and tragic stupidities to surface as we continue forward into technology.  Me? I go for a hike in the wilderness to maintain my balance.