Vicente Fox for President of the United States of America

Some things are just too funny not to share.  Shortly after the disastrous election of Trump, former President of Mexico, Vicente Fox, put out some videos about how Mexico really felt about paying for the, (as of yet non-existent,) wall.  If you only watched the half-ass effort by SNL to parody the various exchanges between Mexico's president and our own, I can understand why you didn't actually laugh.

I hope that everyone who cares about this kind of stuff at the very least saw the first video put out by the former CEO of Coca-Cola in Mexico.

If you didn't, you are in for some funny shit.  Just googol Vicente Fox video.  The good news is that he has a new video out.  For those of us who daily lament more and more the Trump presidency, it is some welcome comedic catharsis.  It was filmed some time before the extinction-level disaster of the Great Trump Tax Heist of 2017, so just bear that in mind if it is a trifle behind the times.

I may be alone in this thinking.  But anything that can make me laugh at this mess is pretty much the meaning of life for me.  Melissa McCarthy made us laugh.  That worked because Sean Spicer himself was a friend.  He fell in love with the press corps that he was paid to lie to.  It was all a big joke.  He was tongue-in-cheek more or less after the big joke about Trump's non-inauguration.

Where is that same press corps today?  No more freedom of the press would be the answer to that.

I don't laugh very much when I think about Trump.  Our friendly ex-president to the south seems to be a natural comic.

Comments

Flying Junior Added Jan 25, 2018 - 4:26am
Post-script.

Yesterday I watched some video about the ridiculous 400 linear feet of the, "fucken wall," that represents ten segments of various prototypes, each thirty feet tall, that were ignominiously built somewhere along the border between San Diego County and Mexico.

Despite the efforts of the haters to portray us as the, "Enron by-the-Sea," to my knowledge it is the first time that true shame has been brought down upon my fair city.  Keep in mind this was a federal effort.

I only need one assurance.  Please don't ever tear down these monuments to stupidity and xenophobia.  Let's forever commemorate them as another example of man's hatred for mankind much like the Berlin Wall.

Tear down that wall, Mr. Trump.

h/t Dutch Reagan
Flying Junior Added Jan 25, 2018 - 4:54am

The guy said twenty billion like it was a big deal.

I welcome any estimates of what an actual cost might eventually be.

Keep in mind these prototypes were built on flat, graded ground.  The linear distance just exceeds that of a football field.

I guess that was the infra-structure that Trump promised.
Dave Volek Added Jan 25, 2018 - 6:23am
Sorry
All my political efforts are now going to

TUBULARSOCK FOR PRESIDENT

I just learned that he was immaculately conceived. This will get the evangelical vote.

Leroy Added Jan 25, 2018 - 9:04am
It must really suck to be you, FJ.  I don't mean to be offensive.  It really sucked to be me under O.  Now you know how I felt.  One difference, though, is that I never advocated impeachment nor supported a bogus investigation.

"So the captain of the Border Patrol had some positive things to say.  He did a good job.  Everyone was happy.  Some military and SWAT guys apparently made a show of attempting to scale these thirty-foot monoliths in a type of testing.  I would love to see that?  How hard did they try?  Just what did they attempt.  I hope they figured out the best model."

On this we agree.  I would have hired a bunch of illegal Mexicans.  I'm confident that they could figure out a cheap and easy way, probably walking around them.  They can be creative.  I'm sure the SWAT team only used their playbook.
Bill Kamps Added Jan 25, 2018 - 11:32am
Tear down that wall, Mr. Trump.

One big difference, the Berlin wall was to keep citizens from leaving a communist de-facto  prison. The wall in Mexico is to keep illegal immigrants out.

Having said that, the wall is a dumb idea.  It would be far easier to enforce existing laws, and keep illegal aliens from getting jobs.  The problem is that business doesnt want this, the government doesnt want this, and the people dont really want this.  So we dont do it.

The wall then becomes a symbol of frustration that we dont want to enforce our immigration laws.
Dave Volek Added Jan 25, 2018 - 12:15pm
Well said Bill

In Canada, we have laws to prevent companies from hiring undocumented workers. If a company gets caught, there's a lot of hell to pay.

That would stop the drive of many immigrants to come illegally. No walls needed whatsoever.

wsucram15 Added Jan 25, 2018 - 12:51pm
Bill do you really believe that? Im shocked you have not questioned that more.
There is no difference, a wall is a wall.  Period.  Its meant to keep people in and others out.  If this was not the intention..why not a fence where Americans can come and go?
PS..its also not about drugs..they come in the ports. So that security needs vamped up.  The Wall is a 20 billion dollar waste of money.
wsucram15 Added Jan 25, 2018 - 12:55pm
FJ..that video has 5300 comments and they seem positive.  It is funny. "unless Donald has already moved to a new home.."  I almost peed my pants laughing.
wsucram15 Added Jan 25, 2018 - 12:57pm
nobodys worse than donald trump..not even king geoffrey..and that bitch killed him...and ned stark..
Bill Kamps Added Jan 25, 2018 - 1:14pm
wsu, I said the wall was a dumb idea because it wont work.  Clearly I think it is a waste of money as well.

However, walls are not just walls, it depends on how they are used.  The Berlin wall kept people in the East from going to the West, and they were shot if they tried.

You are saying Trump's intent is to keep Americans from going to Mexico ?

The only places Americans can legally travel to Mexico is at border crossings.  They cant just do it any place there is a gap in the current fence.  This will not change.  Just like legal Mexican visits will also continue at the border crossings.

Dino Manalis Added Jan 25, 2018 - 1:51pm
the wall should be considered in a bipartisan manner, some Democrats supported the idea in the past, but good relations with Mexico must be prioritized and commerce and other legal traveling ought to continue crossing.
Flying Junior Added Jan 25, 2018 - 2:00pm
Thanks wsu,

That's all I really wanted to do was make one or two people laugh.  The line about King Joffrey was a real kick in the pants.
Flying Junior Added Jan 25, 2018 - 2:20pm
I'm much more concerned about policies that hurt people in a very real way.  This 30% tariff on solar panels from China will do direct harm to millions of homeowners.  This will discourage new construction.  It is a couple of things.  It is a gift to the petroleum and coal interests and by extension to power companies.  And it is a mean-spirited kick in the nuts to California, Texas and really every state in the Southwest which should please the rolling coal crowd.  Thousands of good jobs in the solar industry will be lost or never created.

Also it's not particularly bright to start a trade war with China.  But who are we kidding?  We knew he would do it eventually.

My neighborhood is roughly 50% solar electric.  The cost of installation can easily pay for itself in ten to fifteen years for big families with heavy energy usage.  It even makes economic sense for modest users.  Just think about the significance of that.  When I was a young man in college, economical solar power seemed like an impossible dream.  But we got started developing and manufacturing better and better systems until it became a beautiful reality.  Not anymore.  That all changed overnight.

Leroy, I'm glad you feel better with a Trump in office.  But I really can't buy into your comparison about suffering under Obama.  It doesn't hold water for me.  He didn't really destroy anything at all.  He was a fairly good captain.  He didn't hate his republican colleagues.  He didn't hate any group of Americans.  Trump is a madman hell-bent on the destruction of our government, national honor, national parks and monuments, coastlines, air and water quality.  There is simply no balance to your statement.
opher goodwin Added Jan 25, 2018 - 4:35pm
FJ - LOL - that video was hilarious!! Thank you.
opher goodwin Added Jan 25, 2018 - 4:36pm
The wall is a joke - a very expensive bit of paranoid delusion.
Leroy Added Jan 25, 2018 - 8:22pm
I wonder why the UN built that wall in Cypress.   Worked pretty good from what I hear.  The Israelis have been successful with walls.  In fact, I have the Trump administration is consulting with them.

"Trump is a madman hell-bent on the destruction of our government, national honor, national parks and monuments, coastlines, air and water quality.  There is simply no balance to your statement."

Why do you think Trump wants to destroy the American government and tarnish its honor?  What does he win by doing that?  Why do you think he wants to breathe dirty air and drink polluted water?  Help me understand the logic.  Is he the devil incarnate?
Flying Junior Added Jan 26, 2018 - 2:19am
Okay,

Let's start with the diminishing of the State Department.  Rex Tilley is doing his best to faithfully represent the U.S.  I give him a lot of credit.  Yet Trump has allowed the State Department to limp along with unfilled positions.  Just googol that last sentence and pick a news source that you trust.  The State Department is losing a war of attrition.  "The only one that matters is me," says the enfant terrible.

I guess the plan is to cut the budget by 30% and eliminate 2,300 jobs.  Since when is diplomacy not important?  We won't always have Trump to play his one-man show.

We have all been back and forth on the question of national honor quite recently.  If you think that cozying up to Dutarte and Putin and alienating most of the other civilized countries is wise...  You get how our traditional allies do not support Trump.  Germany, for instance?  Like it or not, Leroy, they really loved President Obama.

The national parks thing was a stretch.  But that's what happens when you shut down the federal government.  Parks close.  Salaries dry up.  I don't see Trump putting any money into maintaining or restoring national parks.  National monuments?  You know how he reduced the size of Bear Ears National Monument and Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument, right?  It was to open up coal and oil exploration.  I remember something about mining interests.  One thing that happens when you do this type of thing is that the heavy equipment comes in to build roads.  Bear Ears is one of the last places in the continental U.S. that is not built out with roads.  With roads comes mining, logging, development, exploitation.

The coastlines.  You are aware that the Trump administration is planning on opening up every linear mile of coastline to oil exploration and fracking.  I'm sure that existing marine reservations will continue to exist where areas are closed to fishing and even the removal of shells and pebbles.  Remember the marine reservation that GWB set aside in Hawaii?  How we miss that guy.  I'm fairly certain that Redondo Beach and La Jolla Shores are probably safe.  But the point is he is using his power to authorize drilling rigs and fracking on any off-shore continental shelf in the continental U.S. and Alaska as well.  The ANWR.  That's a kick in the nuts to environmentalists.  It's the Chesapeake Bay of the northernmost state of the Union.  He does these things just to be the rottenest, liberal-hating idiot of all time.  That and to make piles of money with scorched earth policies.  It's an abuse of power.  Oh yeah.  The plan is to protect Florida.  Florida alone.

Air and water quality.  When you hear about easing standards on arsenic in drinking water and ground water, who do you think the politicians are accommodating?  That's right.  The mining interests.  It started with GWB.  Arsenic is a naturally occurring substance.  The mining industry is required to monitor its release into the environment.  Relaxing standards for water purity is a nice way of getting rid of job-killing over-regulation.

Air quality?  This is related to attempting to reverse epa mileage standards written into law by the Obama administration.  Cars are supposed to get, what, an average of thirty-five mpg?  Trump wants this very real problem to go away for his friends in the automobile industry.  It was an achievable goal with tangible and economic benefits for all of us.  It was going to reduce new air pollution and preserve precious petroleum resources.  Electric automobiles have far exceeded our wildest expectations thanks in no small part to Tesla.  Chevy Volt.  Nissan Leaf.  There is an old GM EV-1 still on the road in La Jolla.  Buses and Tractor Trailers are powered by electricity.  Less moving parts.  India, China, Japan and Europe are looking to convert entire fleets to electric vehicles.  Trump doesn't care.  Let it burn, baby.  How about coal?  Everybody knows that's no good for air quality.  WTF is wrong with Trump?  You tell me.

He does not appear to have a care in the world when it comes to saving the planet.  Obama was a regular guy.  When he retired, he went snorkeling.  Trump is like a girl that doesn't like to go camping.
opher goodwin Added Jan 26, 2018 - 4:30am
FJ - that sums up the destructiveness. Cash is the only thing that matters - fuck people's health or the environment. He's on a mission.
Bill Caciene Added Jan 26, 2018 - 8:32am
I suppose it’s always easier to laugh when your opponent is being mocked, but I did my best to watch the video link at the bottom of this article and found it rather un-funny.  Perhaps some of his other videos were funny, that link wasn’t.

As for your response to Leroy, I think you missed the crux of his point.  Do you concede Donald Trump wants good things to happen for America or do you honestly believe he wanted to be president because he wished to destroy America?

You see, I hate just about every Democrat, however I concede they want good things for America.  The problem is that their policies make our problems worse.  I give every other Democrat the same benefit of the doubt.  The fact you don’t for Trump is a great example of why political discourse can be so ugly. So a piece of advice, rise above the mud-slinging and develop arguments as to why Trump’s policies are bad for America.  Also, not all anti-Trump videos are funny.
opher goodwin Added Jan 26, 2018 - 2:24pm
Bill - I think he wants to be President because he's got a big ego and its good for Donald Trump.
Flying Junior Added Jan 26, 2018 - 3:04pm
Bill,

Everything I mentioned is real and is happening right now, with the exception of the partial government shutdown.  That comes up again in two weeks?  Obviously I don't know everything that the administration is doing.

If you don't believe those things are bad for the nation then I guess that is a pretty good clarification of why decent Americans somehow love this guy.  I thought I laid out a good case.  I don't understand why republicans don't seem to care about the environment.  This is new.  It wasn't always that way.  Bush was pro-energy, but he didn't declare war against our land.  But thanks for the faith that you put in the hated democrats.  It's a start.  I think Leroy was just asking a rhetorical question.
Edward Miessner Added Jan 26, 2018 - 5:39pm
Flying Junior, I'm watching that vid now! Already I got some chuckles out of it.

"The cost for the eight prototype walls was twenty million $$.  FOX News warns us that the cost for the entire wall might even be twenty billion $$.

"The guy said twenty billion like it was a big deal."

After all the cost overruns and corruption is factored in, this wall will cost a cool $TRILLION.
wsucram15 Added Jan 26, 2018 - 7:33pm
Not happening on my watch....I dont want to live in Trumps prison.
Bill Caciene Added Jan 27, 2018 - 4:47am
Everything you wrote is not real or happening right now.  There is a rebuttal to everything negative you said about Trump.  I think I know what the problem is, you don’t know the difference between fact and opinion and you don’t know the difference between making an argument and unfounded criticism.  Allow me, you stated that “the Trump administration is planning on opening up every linear mile of coastline to oil exploration and fracking.”  The rebuttal is that Trump has given the states the right to decide whether or not they want to allow oil exploration off their coastline.   I’m sure none of these states will choose to explore for oil close to their coastline and very few will explore for oil off their coastline.  To the extent some choose to exploit their oil reserves, it will be because the citizens of that state decided to do so.

I would also add that our way of life highly dependent on fossil fuels. We both may not like it, but without them we all live a much lower quality of life.  Not to mention the fact buying it from elsewhere can be far more environmentally hazardous than extracting it ourselves.  Oh and by the way, many of the oil producing nations also produce a lot of terrorists.  So I think it’s a really good idea for the Federal Government to get out of the way and for us to be more energy independent.

As you can see by my rebuttal, what Trump is doing makes a lot of rational sense.  Your translation of his actions make it sound like their will be oil rigs next to sunbathers.  Let alone the many other things you got wrong.  I could pick a part any of the negative things you said about Trump in a similar manner.

One more thing...you didn't answer my first question.  Here it is again: Do you concede Donald Trump wants good things to happen for America or do you honestly believe he wanted to be president because he wished to destroy America?
Flying Junior Added Jan 27, 2018 - 5:21am
He may want good things for wealthy Americans.  He certainly has friends and allies he needs to protect.  The tax cut is a perfect example.  He will put more money into the pockets of working Americans.  But this is only a cruel joke as we bankrupt our own government and force cuts to entitlement programs and vital government services.  The gift to billionaires is incalculable.

As far as the ACA.  From what I can tell he doesn't care if the uninsured live or die.  He has not shown any compassion on this.  He even is hurting Americans who have worked hard all of their lives and positioned themselves favorably for a happy retirement.  I can't think of anything that would drive up healthcare insurance premiums faster than his reckless policies in undermining the ACA.

What would be the point of removing federal restrictions on oil exploration to allow states to decide for themselves?  Why not just keep existing restrictions in place?  Remember the Deep Horizon disaster?  I just heard that the biggest oil spill since Exxon Valdez just occurred off of the coast of Japan. We don't want that in our waters.  I was kidding about La Jolla.  Do you deny that Trump managed to protect Mar-A-Lago in all of this?

I really am not an expert.  But I have heard about big changes in the Department of the Interior and the EPA.  Tell me why we needed to make any changes at all.

I wasn't kidding about the thing with arsenic and mining.  Also coal is dirty on just about every level.  Neither Obama or Trump has done anything to ban mountain removal mining.  In this insidious industry, the left-over earth often clogs mountain streams and creeks.  If the creeks would still flow without a mountain-top.

Thanks for talking to me.  It is a worthwhile exchange.  I once believed that conservatives and liberals wanted the same things but that we just went about it in different ways.  That's a little bit harder to believe today with the current administration.

What about opening up the national monuments?

Finally, if he is so smart, why is he allowing us to sell oil and natural gas to other countries?
Bill Caciene Added Jan 27, 2018 - 5:34am
I’m not going to provide the argument behind all of Trump’s actions.  It’s up to you to do your own unbiased research and then decide why you believe what you believe.  Based on how you presented that off shore drilling issue, I don’t think that’s something your capable of.

Back to my question, do you really believe Trump wishes to harm anyone that isn’t wealthy?

It’s one thing to think his policies only serve to help the rich, quite another to think he wishes to harm the poor.  Can you at least accept the fact Trump thinks the tax plan will help the poor and middle class?
Bill Kamps Added Jan 27, 2018 - 7:52am
Trump does dumb things, all Presidents do dumb things.  Lets just stipulate that.

Part of the problem is the Executive Order.  It allows Presidents to create laws, without having to go to Congress.  Then the next President comes in and changes the EO to something HE  wants.  This is worse, because it causes law whiplash, like with the DACAs.  Obama created the DACAs with an EO, what did he  think would happen when a GOP President came in?  pretty cynical, because he can take credit for doing something for the DACAs, and then toss the blame on the next guy when he feels differently.

Laws are difficult to create for a reason.  We should limit what Executive Orders really address, and only use them for real emergencies, with some kind of time limit on them.  Having Presidents do these partial fixes, takes Congress off the hook, so they like it also, they dont have to do the work they were elected to do.
John Minehan Added Jan 27, 2018 - 9:35am
I was in 3d Armor Division for 50 months between 1985 and 1989 in 2-27th FA and HHB, 3d Armor DivArty.

During that time 3d Armor Division was the unit directly in back of 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment (the "11th ACR").

In front of the 11th ACR, was the Inter-German (or Inter=Zonal) Border (the "IGB" or "IZB").

That fence had anti-personnel mines, razor wire, starving and vicious dogs and DShK heavy machine guns (with gunners who were willing to use them).

Despite all that, there were still Illegal Border Crossers ("IBCs').  "Fixed fortifications are a monument to the stupidity of man."  ----George S. Patton, GEN, USA
Michael B. Added Jan 27, 2018 - 9:51am
I totally agree with what Bill K. and John M. said. Enforcing existing laws should be the priority. You'd think we would have learned from the fucking French and the utter failure of the Maginot Line that walls can be defeated; maybe not easily, but it's not worth it. Period.
John Minehan Added Jan 27, 2018 - 10:09am
Enforce the E-verify laws.  That's probably all the "wall" you need.
opher goodwin Added Jan 27, 2018 - 11:35am
Michael/John - most illegals come into the country legally for visits and then overstay. A wall is an expensive red herring.
TexasLynn Added Jan 27, 2018 - 1:19pm
FJ, On your recommendation... I went and watched this with great expectations.  The key words to describe it are "lame" and "stupid"; not even remotely humorous.

You owe me 5 minutes of my life back! :)
Flying Junior Added Jan 27, 2018 - 2:48pm
Unfortunately we have a thriving cash economy.  People can simply work in construction, painting, gardening, housekeeping and any number of trades or services and never file a tax return or get a W-2.  Enforcement is difficult.
Bill Caciene Added Jan 28, 2018 - 5:51am
The only thing that surprises me about this debate is that you ignored rather than deleted my last comment.
Flying Junior Added Jan 28, 2018 - 9:09am
I do not have any love, faith or respect for Trump.  I'm not sure if he intends harm or not.  His motivation seems to be theft and exploitation.  He probably thinks he can get away with this heist without doing any real harm.  But I'm sure he really does not care one way or the other.

He is also motivated to do really ugly things which make liberals and decent Americans cringe.  His base eats this up and he knows it.  I once heard a conservative from Colorado gushing about how much he loved Glenn Beck.  "This guy is great because he really makes liberals angry."  Trump is the same way.  He's no genius, but he is not stupid either.  It's a sickness.

The middle class will see some modest gains.  I estimate my household will net eight or nine hundred a year for the next six years or maybe $7,000 thereabouts total.  I would gladly give it all back if we had never been forced to inaugurate this monster.

The fat cats walk away with at least one trillion $$ in U.S. treasure.  That's the estimate, right?  No one will ever know the exact amount that has been squandered because everything is changed.  It's all up in the air.  This triggers automatic spending cuts, some of which will be up to 4% cuts in Medicare.  Other spending cuts can hurt people as well.  Also speaker Ryan has been bragging how SS and Medicare are first up on the chopping block for next time around.

I wish these sick politicians would keep their promises.  At least most of the WB conservatives seem to agree that we have spent way too much money on wars and the military.  I am willing to be that many of these guys who blame Bush for the exploding national debt were cheerleaders fifteen years ago celebrating the fact that they finally had a good man in the WH, (Dick Cheney.)

"The first thing we need to do is get on a firm war footing."  Isn't that what Cheney said?  Trump is no different.  He is already promising to rebuild the military.  I guess the only reason the Pentagon really needs new revenue would be because we already spent three trillion $$ in the Middle East this century and we used up all of our spare bombs.  What a joke.  I don't know if you have any idea what a Bob Hope class cargo ship is.  In early 2003, sailors and longshoremen spent about a week in San Diego harbor loading one of these mighty vessels with Bradley fighting vehicles, Humvees, air-conditioned tents and all of the other toys that our luxury class Army needs to play their war games.  It sailed north to La Jolla, tacked to east before entering open waters, negotiated the Panama Canal and chugged off to the Persian Gulf just in time for GWBs two day ultimatum to Saddam Hussein.  Much of the equipment was left behind.  Humvees for ISIS.  Some of the tents and other toys were carried through Afghanistan, shipped to Turkey and put on railroads for the long voyage back to the U.S.A.  Why don't we slash the Pentagon budget and cut off all military aid to Israel?  Because the MIC demands that we keep paying the heavy arms industries.

We will defeat this republican menace.  But the damage will be real.
Flying Junior Added Jan 28, 2018 - 9:17am
Let's just thumbnail it, Bill.  If 50 million U.S. households all see $6,000 in tax cuts, that's $300 Billion for the middle class.  If that was the republican tax cut we would all be happy, right?  Where does the rest go?  Cream always rises to the top.  It's reckless kleptocracy.
opher goodwin Added Jan 28, 2018 - 3:16pm
FJ - that is exactly right. Trump was actually bragging to his cronies that he just made them all a hell of a lot richer. That money has to come from somewhere and it is going to come from health, education and programmes that support the poor.
But hey - the poor deserve it right? If they had anything about them they'd be rich.
Edward Miessner Added Jan 28, 2018 - 4:58pm
I also agree with what Michael B., Bill K. and John M. said. Trump can build a wall, but the drugs cartels will just build more tunnels... and people will illegally immigrate that way. If, OTOH, the e-verify laws are enforced, the economic incentive is removed and if we didn't constantly make the nations south of the border into "shithole countries" with our foreign policy actions and war on drugs, the amount of people fleeing repression or gang activity would greatly reduce, too.
Flying Junior Added Jan 28, 2018 - 9:23pm
In January 2012, the U.S. White House Office of National Drug Control Policy asked RAND to generate national estimates of market sizes for four illicit drugs: cocaine (including crack), heroin, marijuana, and methamphetamine.  In 2010 we spent roughly 100 Billion 2010 dollars a year on these illicit drugs or 1 trillion USD from 2000-2010.  Granted they don't all come in through Mexico.  Some of it is still manufactured or grown in the U.S.  Of course estimates are extremely difficult and cannot be proven.

If the 2010 population of roughly 300 million people spent $100 Billion on illicit drugs that would be a staggering $333 a year for every man, woman and child living in the U.S.

Mexico isn't sending us anything that we don't demand of them.
Edward Miessner Added Jan 29, 2018 - 6:33pm
Flying Junior, "Mexico isn't sending us anything that we don't demand of them."

That is definitely true and if the demand wasn't there the tunnels and drug cartels wouldn't either. And you're probbaly right that not all the illicit drugs come through Mexico---there are so many opportunities for Canadian routes and overseas boat and air transport. But still I think the bulk comes in through Mexico.

Recent Articles by Writers Flying Junior follows.