Surviving The Fire, But Not the Move

My wife and I, through no fault of our own, had to fill our SUV with boxes this weekend and take them to our house. (The boxes were full--otherwise, what would be the point?) Okay, it was kind of our fault, but that's another story.

This SUV, which holds more than it looks. No, that one. Or the other one. Aw, jeez.

My arms and shoulders were a little sore, because I'd spent some time a few days before trying to break into a business in a neighboring town. Really tough plywood covered window that had to be pried open.

Um, guess I should add that the building was on fire.

That window. And I was actually inside, trying to break out.

So I was kind of taking it easy, I thought. Emily would take the boxes out of the SUV and walk them through the garage. I would carry them up five steps, then throw them up into the garage attic. When we were done, I climbed a ladder into the attic and stacked the boxes up real neatly. (The attic used to be a hayloft, and has no steps going up to it. No, I don't know how the horses got up there to eat.)

Due to a cleaning spree we went through over the fall and winter, everything up there is now nicely organized. I've turned from a packrat into a neat packrat. I guess "hoarder" is the new PC term.

This is my garage, as it appeared several years ago. That car is now an ash tray.

It all went very quickly, and I didn't even worry about my chronic back pain. I'd been doing special stretches the chiropractor taught me, and have gotten to the point where I can almost touch my knees. In addition, I recently cleaned up my act a bit on the diet front, so overall the chances of me pulling a lower back pull again were low. Lower.

Then I took a nap, got up for work and took a nice hot shower, and couldn't lean over to put my socks on.

Ah, well ... just goes to show, the lower back can be sensitive if you don't take care of it for, say, fifty years. I spent the next twelve hours sitting in a chair and typing at a keyboard and yeah, it hurt, but it's not like my bottle of naproxen and I couldn't function. My coworkers thought it was a little odd, walking in with no shoes and socks on in thirty degree weather, but the dress code technically only requires pants and shirts.

It felt like a dog was jumping on my back.

Comments

Stephen Hunter Added Jan 28, 2018 - 9:54am
Mark, perhaps you should check out 'Minimalism'? We humans are pack-rats by nature, however for the wrong reasons in today's society! Our evolution wires us to hoard.
opher goodwin Added Jan 28, 2018 - 10:11am
Mark - We've not evolved for being bipedal. Our backs are built for walking on fours like a chimp or gorilla. Perhaps if you went into work like that it would cause less comment?
Mark Hunter Added Jan 28, 2018 - 10:42am
Actually, the real reason we were moving those boxes in the first place was related to the amount of stuff we've gotten rid of in the past several months, Stephen. I was exaggerating what was still up there for effect. Maybe later I'll tell that whole story, but for this short tale I ... minimalized it.
Mark Hunter Added Jan 28, 2018 - 10:43am
You'd think so, opher, but last time I tried that it caused even more of a commotion.
Tom C. Purcell Added Jan 28, 2018 - 11:38am
There isn't the same respect for Firemen and Volunteers like there used to be.  I still have respect for the professionals that do this work, and volunteers.  My grandfather was a Captain of a Fire Department in Pittsburg, P.A.  Well done, Mark.  That's a vintage American thing to do!

P.S. Handsome dog.  Is she (maybe he?) Collie/German Shepard cross?  Curious.
Mark Hunter Added Jan 28, 2018 - 9:05pm
Beowulf (he’s a he) is 25% German Shepherd, plus a mix of five other breeds. Like most Americans, he’s a mutt! And he’s giving me those big eyes as I type this.

There’s still a lot of respect around here for firefighters, but it’s hard to find volunteers anymore, with increased requirements and less free time. And there’s always an armchair fire chief, ready to complain.
wsucram15 Added Jan 30, 2018 - 10:11am
Mark as always.. hats off to you for your time and effort given to help anyone as a volunteer.  I respect anyone who gives up their time to pitch in for the community, its how I was raised.
Thanks again..
Mark Hunter Added Jan 30, 2018 - 2:11pm
Much appreciated! I have to admit, though, that I skipped a mutual aid call today because of the whole back pain thing ... sometimes you have to let the rookies take it, especially when they're only asking for one truck.