People like Riley Warm my Heart

People like Riley warm my heart. People not locked in dogma positions. It is time we begin to think about how we are going to extricate ourselves from the Chinese finger trap the two parties are stuck in and which we have been drawn into by association.

Let's not build a wall. Let's just not and see what happens based on the scare tactics that have sent the numbers of illegals coming over our southern border plummeting. Let's at the same time legalize drugs so we don't have to worry about illegal drugs being shipped over the border with the associated violence. Let's focus on human trafficking, the moving of people into our country to be used as slave labor in some industries, most notably the sex trade, the domestics trade, the beauty trade, etc... Let's solidify our borders by going after the people who make them porous, the employers.

Let's change how we incarcerate people. End the incarceration industry. Let's change how we run our military. Why does our military need over $700 billion dollars? Is it really worth it for what we get? Are there better ways to get those jobs done? Cheaper ways?

Let's change how we relate to Israel. Let's have Israel give us aid. Make AIPAC The America, from Israel, Peaceful Aid Company. They can fund our schools. Teach Jewish stuff if they want. I don't see anything wrong with learning Jewish stuff. It appears to have helped Ben and the Jews. (I'm 4% Jewish so I can joke.)

Let's figure out how you correct a twenty-one trillion dollar debt. No one seems to know. At least someone should know how long you can kick a can that sized down the road before it blocks the road. And all the debt is like that, like this boulder perched on a hill waiting to come down and we're like Wiley Coyote running around under it setting off explosions.

Let's talk about things like rational creatures who really want to figure out solutions, not just win more stuff for our particular group so they'll like us. Let's stop trying to be liked and be respected, even if that means people will hate us for it. That's what I've done, kicked all the bad habits that made me so approachable and loveable. Look at the great results I've gotten recently. I've never had so many people hating me. All of my hard work is paying off, finally. I see the start of great things.

Let's try and look at ourselves as one big group called humanity. I know that's hard to do. We like to focus on the differences, but differences are only skin deep. We all bleed red. Or green, if you're in government.

Comments

mark henry smith Added Jan 30, 2018 - 1:47pm
Has anybody seen the connection between how the government is being funded and pay-day lenders? What associations do you see?
George N Romey Added Jan 30, 2018 - 2:30pm
Riley is a smart guy. As far as payday lenders, they actively give to politicians to retain their usury business. If you question whether government is corrupt there’s your answer. At one time we through these creatures in jail. Today they fund campaigns.

Moreover their recent expansion into middle and upper middle class neighborhoods is huge. So much for the recovering economy.
The Burghal Hidage Added Jan 30, 2018 - 2:46pm
i second your praise for Riley. Always a quality article from him.
Katharine Otto Added Jan 30, 2018 - 3:20pm
Marko,
I like any straight-talker, and I'm not referring to sexuality.  Riley is one, but you are another.

Let's send a few kilos of recreational/medical marijuana to the Capitol and lock the doors from the outside.  Maybe it will help the Republicans and Democrats transcend their differences.
Donna Added Jan 30, 2018 - 3:29pm
Marko,
Like this..I also think Riley is a smart person..straight talker, and no nonsense..
I took my lead from you, i must say, and i feel much better. See i have some family from well, lets just say the other side..not as in political, just as in we never agree. So i took your style, and i put them out of my life,amazingly enough..i am feeling better..both mentally and physically..so thank you, for being the black sheep, so to speak, like me, and knowing how to handle them!

Mircea Negres Added Jan 31, 2018 - 3:30am
Mark, I find myself in agreement with you once more. Sadly, while we know that the best way forward is to be rational and deal with issues in a mature fashion, the vast majority of the electorate have too damned little in the way of brains and prefer entertainment to solving problems. Damned if Nero and Commodus weren't right- the republic may be in a fucked up state, but give the plebs bread and circuses, and they'll fuckin' love you without ever asking where the bread came from and what the consequences will be further down the road. I too like Riley's articles even though sometimes they're a little too idealistic. What the hell, the best things in life came from ideals, from seemingly impossible dreams made real by people who didn't get discouraged by the malice, indifference or cynicism of former good men and women, so there's hope.
Flying Junior Added Jan 31, 2018 - 3:44am
Mark,

I read Riley's article three times and declined to comment because I see no value in fighting hopeless partisans.  What the hell are you talking about?  I saw right through it by the title.  Riley is just an asshole who is trumpeting the Trump victory.   You have already read his four misogynist screeds.  Let's take a look at the first two paragraphs.

For a long time Democrats did well by bribing poor voters with things, (carrots), free medical care, free food, free money; free free and amnesty too.  Lots of people want free and gladly voted for anyone who promised to give them stuff, even if they know it's being taken from other people and no one knows how we're ever going to pay for it.

Oh but now Democrats are the party of hate, and they lost votes from all the people they demonized which in this case was just enough to get Trump elected.  They did it by alienating lots of people who disliked Trump but hated being told they are RACISTS because they thought our borders should be secure and believed someone who was here illegally was an illegal immigrant.  They disliked being called  a RACIST because they didn't agree with everything Obama did...

If you buy into this hardcore, republican propaganda I no longer have any respect for you.  Warm my heart indeed.  It's FOX talking point crap.

Flying Junior Added Jan 31, 2018 - 3:46am
Did I say his?  Just because Riley has gender issues does not necessarily mean he is a man.
Passion Blues Added Jan 31, 2018 - 3:52am
K Otto-  Do what!?  A bale of good green would be wasted on those assholes! They are already on some other drugs. Maybe it's their own fumes
Autumn Cote Added Jan 31, 2018 - 9:36am
People like Riley annoy me.  With so many of you desiring more comment activity in your articles, one who ignores his or her commenters is a shame.  Not to mention the fact it gives commenters a reason not to comment in Writer Beat, seeing that authors don't care about receiving them.
mark henry smith Added Jan 31, 2018 - 11:44am
Flying Junior, I didn't say I agree with everything Riley says.

Yeah, we can pick and choose the odd paragraph of nine where he/she goes off the rails, but who couldn't we do that with? I'm all for work, I never understood the purpose of the welfare state except to buy votes, and a piss poor job it did at that too. Welfare recipients tend to be as apathetic about voting as they are about working, as someone here showed in a recent post.

We should expect more from people because it's a reality of life that most people live down to expectations. And I think a job well-done, even if it's cleaning up dog-poop in the park gives the doer a sense of integrity. This culture of sloppiness, and doe-eyed infatuation drives me nuts. Whatever happened to critical thought? We have these Republicans last night acting like a bunch of cheerleaders at the big game with the cross-town rival. I was listening on the radio, but I imagined they were all in red skirts and halter tops waving pom-poms. It's kind of sickening to think about it that these are the grown men, predominantly that we rely on to direct our country.

I know we've had all of these movies teach us that dumb people can be smart too and do just as good a job running things, but that's Hollywood, people. That's Bill Gates and Steven Pinker telling us that everyone's equal and the world is on it's way to paradise. I want to see Bill Gates try to be homeless for a while and Steven Pinker. Then tell me how equal everybody is. It's Panglossian bullshit. We all have the equal right to be given a chance, okay, but some people are just made with more of the right stuff and you can take those people down, but you can't take the people without it up. The only remedy is to dumb the entire system down to the point where the really smart people throw up their hands and say, Oy vey! And that's what we've done. That's what Trump's speech was.

Think about this. People used to have limited options with television, so they got together and watched and discussed with large groups of dissimilar people. Slowly those groups got smaller until you only discussed things with similar people and slowly you found that you had been trained to only want to listen to people who would discuss things the way you'd gotten used to. Idiots don't like to be contradicted anymore than smart people do, and I find that sad.

As far as Riley, Autumn, I think he/she's a very busy bee and is a bit of an elitist, so not all of our rantings and ravings are going to attract his/hers attention. I got a comment, but I do believe it was the least of a list of bad options. To Katherine, Dino, Mircea, Burg, George, all, thanks, and pot can help mellow the edges, but it can't make a center. Not one that will hold. For that we need the post-high, sober negotiation. Like a kind of political 12-step. First we must accept a higher power. La-di-da.

And on Facebook I've hooked up with some rabid Trumpists and they are scary with the things they advocate, the insults, the feeding back and forth like frat boys at a hazing. I now ask them all only one question, how can I heal you? That's my question to everyone. How can I heal you?

mark henry smith Added Jan 31, 2018 - 12:09pm
Sorry, I skipped over Donna and Passion.

Thanks Donna. I have kept my distance from my siblings, but have regained a decent relationship with my mother. I won't even listen to messages from my siblings, they are so filled with anger and condescension. There's really no point in speaking to them until something terrible happens and they're forced to reconsider their approach to life. There really isn't much of a chance of that happening, so I'm gonna be happy living this little life I've been blessed with in my little apartment, free of any smoking habits, angry thoughts, any distractions, writing the best work I've ever done. How to sell my work after all I've been through is always the question. But I only have to meet one person, while my detractors have to try and keep me from everybody. And they already failed. You'd think they'd wise up.

Passion, I love pot. It makes me happy, but being happy makes me lazy, and sloppy, brings out the monkey mind, which is great for music, dancing, cooking, fucking, hanging, golfing, but not for getting the work done I'm supposed to do. That work is hard and requires absolute focus and discipline. I'm really into focus and discipline right now in a way I've never been before. I'm the happiest and healthiest I've ever been, and I'm totally straight, except for my glass of wine at dinner. I feel it coming in the air tonight, or tomorrow, or next week, soon.

Again, to all, love, Love, LOVE. How can I heal you?
wsucram15 Added Jan 31, 2018 - 3:24pm
MHS..I can agree that we all need to get along. This much is true.
The Burghal Hidage Added Jan 31, 2018 - 3:49pm
MHS -  Thought that image of Pelosi with her face all screwed up was priceless. She looked an old whore who just finished a blow job and couldn't decide whether to spit or swallow
Flying Junior Added Feb 1, 2018 - 4:58am
Fuck you.
The Burghal Hidage Added Feb 1, 2018 - 5:03am
Thank you FJ! A "fuck you", coming from you? That's a compliment :)
mark henry smith Added Feb 1, 2018 - 11:00am
People, people, what we have here is a failure to communicate and the first step to opening the lines of communication will be an ability to laugh at each other's jokes. Let's just accept that all politicians, even the best of 'em, have some whore in 'em, even the so-called business polticicians, even the so-called evangelical politicians, even the mom-and-pop politicians. It comes with the territory.

I want people on my team who aren't so thin-skinned that they can't take a little flak. I want people who remain somewhat composed when under attack. I want people who can make fun of what they lack, because that means they might have a chance of growing. The all-knowing politicians are like the all-knowing Wizard of Oz, behind the curtain is a little man from medicine show putting on airs, but, and let's be clear about this, not because he/she wants to primarily, but because the role as written requires a performance. The people desire an all-knowing wizard, even if the wizard knows he's just a snake-oil salesman.

And remember the gifts he bestowed. Nothing of substance, just psychological empowerment in the form of encouragement, a diploma, a medal, a belief. I really shouldn't use the qualifier, just, should I. Expectations are what drive the human mind, and the mind drives behavior, and expectations are based on how deeply one believes in the merits of action, personal and societal.
Flying Junior Added Feb 1, 2018 - 2:09pm
I like normal conservatives.  I can take a rib about Nancy Pelosi.

I can also take Riley's content without very much pain, but I normally do not have much to say about it.  I guess the misogynist crown goes to TBH this week.
Flying Junior Added Feb 1, 2018 - 2:11pm
With the thoughts I'd be thinking I could be another Lincoln if I only had a brain.
mark henry smith Added Feb 2, 2018 - 10:40am
Thanks for that, Flying Junior.

I take Riley with a grain of salt too. I appreciate the fact that he/she doesn't stray too far from logical argument. The Burg has his moments. Now I'll be humming that tune l day. Thanks, one of my favorites.

I wonder what Riley will have to say about all the FBI assignations. The Russians must be chortling into their borscht. They got exactly what they wanted with Trump.

Recent Articles by Writers mark henry smith follows.