Live Blogging the SOTU 2018

Well, maybe not live.  But I was thinking of you guys.

I wanted to make this a lovefest of liberals and reasonable conservatives coming together.  But I must apologize.  I had to edit this content so that it would fit on blogger.   I had no space for such niceties.  Let us begin with the first thing that caught my attention.  It was right after his disgusting lie about the tax heist.

Trump called the individual mandate, to the orgasmic cheers of every republican present, "the cruelest tax on Americans earning less than fifty thousand per year."  How about the cruelest joke?  $695?  The joke's on you suckers.  See how much your premiums go up in 2019.

Any time the president said that he promised to work together...

Trump promised to end the war on energy.  That's actually funny.  Then came the money quote, "beautiful, clean, coal."   Every one of his sycophants present erupted in wild applause and cheers.  Invest in job training?  Let's see it before you boast about it.  Obama made training for 120 professions and trades available for free to the displaced coal miners.  Somehow one of the courses was in coal mining technology.  Guess which one the interviewee on NPR opted for.

Prison reform.  Give parolees a second chance at life?  Again, let's see something real.  You can't just say that.  He doesn't care about anybody in prison.  Maybe he's thinking about an old movie where the one guy plays harmonica.  Truth is he wants to privatize prisons more and more and lock up more people than ever before.  He is supporting Jeff Sessions in his war on marijuana.  Did somebody read a Bible quote to Trump?

Trump's brand of immigration reform will somehow help struggling immigrants.  How?  By deporting their parents?  By making them struggle to get on back in their home countries because it is no longer worth the cost of immigration to the U.S?

Two seconds later he contradicted himself by saying that we need to protect ourselves from unskilled immigrant labor.  Why not just train the suffering citizens and let the unskilled jobs go to immigrants?  Restaurant jobs used to be considered unskilled.  I know. I worked eight years in five restaurants.  I am proud to say that one of the restaurants was owned by a really cool Iranian.  I honed my Spanish every morning.  One time I was even invited to smoke weed with the Mexican bros in an apartment in Pacific Beach.  That's where I got to know El Cuervito.

News alert.  New boogie-man identified.  Look for it on FOX and other alternate fact sources.  MS-13.  Home run.  They are Mexican.  They smoke weed. They are a gang.  Game over, right?  Trump wins!

I guess Trump's speech writer went over the inscription on the Statue of Liberty or maybe something about Kennedy.  He talked about protecting the needy, the under-privileged and the struggling all over the world.  Sorry brother and sisters, I just can't laugh at this kind of stuff.

Then he is back in the continental United States plus Alaska. "We will work together to protect and defend every U.S. citizen without thought to color, religion or creed."  Nice try Donald.  Look at your record.

"This means we will build a great wall on the southern border..."  I knew that he was thinking about the great wall of China all the time.  My estimate?  Let's see.  320 feet of wall in a flat area of the border near San Diego, $20 million?  If he builds fifteen hundred miles of wall from here to Houston, I get $495 Billion.  Let's be fair and call it $250 Billion.  Tell your friends you read it here first.

Finally end the horrible and dangerous practice of, "catch and release."  Good speech writer.  Look for this ridiculous meme coming soon to a theater of the absurd near you.  Again, the, "Give me your tired, your poor..."  Oh what the hell?

Terrible crisis of drug and opiate addiction?  You have been on this for one year.  Nothing except salaries for family members.  Tougher sentences on drug pushers?  When was the last time you thought about this, 1969?

Comments

Flying Junior Added Jan 31, 2018 - 3:36am
If this silly rant does nothing else, I would look forward to more timely articles on the Writer Beat.  All I see are tired memes and arguments that we have all been pondering for months if not years.  Let's make this a go-to place for what is happening now.  I mean now as in a little faster.  Why didn't anyone blog about Puerto Rico last summer?

Blog about pirates on the west coast of Africa.  I want to hear from you.
Flying Junior Added Jan 31, 2018 - 4:02am
I was talking about the premiums for those of us who are still participating.  I cannot imagine what could possibly aggravate the situation more than Trump's brutal and clumsy attempt to overturn what was already established law for nearly eight years.

The individual mandate was at the center of the entire model.  It was the feature which made it salient to the insurance industry.  It was originally a republican idea.  To take it away after so many years of industry adjustment is reckless.

I agree that single payer makes more sense. Did you know that if you have enough money in England, you can still pay for your own doctor on Harley Street?  Wouldn't that work in the U.S., or is it too late?  In my own city, the difference is quite stark.  If you can afford Blue Cross and high deductibles and co-pays just to buy something called, "Prudent Buyer Insurance," you can go to the celebrated Scripps Hospital and associated clinics.  Isn't that just a perversion of the exact same system? Again, $695?  I thought that was a nice low number.
Flying Junior Added Jan 31, 2018 - 4:03am
The post was about live blogging.  Thoughts on the SOTU?
opher goodwin Added Jan 31, 2018 - 4:04am
FJ - I was reminded of Thatcher's quoting of St Francis on the steps of Downing Street when she was elected - 'Where there is discord, may we bring harmony. While she was plotting with Ridley to wage war on working people and the trade unions.
Not by words but actions!!
Flying Junior Added Jan 31, 2018 - 4:11am
To be consoled as to console...
Flying Junior Added Jan 31, 2018 - 4:41am
Well, yeah but...

After all of the adjustments which were made by the industry to allow twenty-three million Americans to obtain the health insurance they didn't have before, what could screw it up more than republican sabotage?  I see it as a dangerous, unexpected wild card which can only drive up costs for everybody.  What we want is to control the costs of healthcare and insurance.  My point is that Trump really doesn't care one way or the other what costs the less prosperous people sustain.  It's all a cruel joke to him.  He doesn't really care if they live or die.

Flying Junior Added Jan 31, 2018 - 5:05am
The topic was the SOTU.  Let's all hope for a springtime of renewal and rebirth.  For the time being, I will accept Trump's promise and pledge of upholding all Americans.  What choice do I have? I do not wish him to fail.
Leroy Added Jan 31, 2018 - 7:58am
You have to admit it was a pretty good speech, even if you don't agree with the content.  He out democrat'ed the Democrats with his emotional appeal.  The only regret is that he didn't play the National Anthem to see how many Democrats would remain seated.  That would have been a site to see.  It was interesting to see Democrats scurrying out when the "U-S-A" chant started.  And, Pelosi's discontent was proportional to how vigorously she shifted her dentures around.
Utpal Patel Added Jan 31, 2018 - 8:57am
The only lie about the tax bill is the one coming from you.  Allowing the private sector the right to keep the money it earned isn’t a heist.  A heist occurs when something is taken against your will.  In other words, our tax policy prior to the passing of the tax bill was a heist.
Jeffry Gilbert Added Jan 31, 2018 - 9:08am
#ReleaseTheMemo
Spartacus Added Jan 31, 2018 - 12:11pm
Junior, were you drunk (and/or high) during your "live" blog of the speech?
Most Democrats (still left on the left) were self-medicating last night.  I don't blame them . . . they are weak people and sore/whiney losers.
Johnny Fever Added Jan 31, 2018 - 1:31pm
What does your title have to do with this article?
Flying Junior Added Jan 31, 2018 - 3:38pm
It was a good speech Leroy.  I didn't like everything thing that I heard, in particular the American exceptionalism stuff.  I just haven't seen him do any work towards the nice things that he promises.

I watched it as a duty of my citizenship.  It's normal for one side to sit on their hands.  Everybody stood up for the policeman and his wife and newly adopted baby.  That was a beautiful story.

Not too much excitement for the SOTU that I am seeing.
wsucram15 Added Jan 31, 2018 - 4:09pm
I didnt watch it..I was with others writing our own SOTU for another page.
But...with that said, I was disappointed to see that Democrats were as ridiculous as their counterparts in the legislature. Remember, it was Republicans who began the trend of disrespect of the President up to and including making noises during his speech. But they didnt clap, stand or acknowledge anything he did.  In fact, they blocked him at every turn against Congressional procedure.
This isnt going to stop..its not. In fact, its going to get worse.
The parts of the speech I have seen were typical, many boastful and really stretched un-factual statements.  Lots of display for the heartstrings and little "real"  accomplishment or outlay of new policy. Just the same thing he says all the time in his tweets, longer and more bombastic.
FJ..thank you for watching. I decided I just cant give him respect anymore.  Everything I have -values, ethics, logic, gut instinct, everything..is telling me this is VERY bad.  Its not divisive, its worse than that..its a pattern.
Its really odd the standards we used to have for those in office, and the ones we have today.
Dino Manalis Added Jan 31, 2018 - 4:30pm
 I was pleased Trump stressed bipartisanship.  What happened with Democrats?  Were they baffled?
S.R. Morris Added Jan 31, 2018 - 4:54pm
What's a STFU?
wsucram15 Added Jan 31, 2018 - 5:01pm
FJ- The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands in times of challenge and controversy.
Bill H. Added Jan 31, 2018 - 5:06pm

I saw the speech as what it was - words written by a speechwriter as a smokescreen to please those who would listen with exactly what they wanted to hear, complete with the prompted cheering.
Are we really supposed to believe ANYTHING that comes out of the mouth of Trump, even if it was scripted by others?

wsucram15 Added Jan 31, 2018 - 5:17pm
FJ..here is a speech,

We are here in Fall River, Massachusetts — a proud American city, built by immigrants.
From textiles to robots, this is a place that knows how to make great things.
The students with us this evening in the autoshop at Diman Regional Technical School carry on that rich legacy.

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. It is a privilege to join you tonight.
From textiles to robots, this is a place that knows how to make great things.
Like many American hometowns, Fall River has faced its share of storms. But people here are tough. They fight for each other. They pull for their city.

It is a fitting place to gather as our nation reflects on the state of our union.
This is a difficult task. Many have spent the past year anxious, angry, afraid. We all feel the fault lines of a fractured country. We hear the voices of Americans who feel forgotten and forsaken.
We see an economy that makes stocks soar, investor portfolios bulge and corporate profits climb but fails to give workers their fair share of the reward.
A government that struggles to keep itself open.
Russia knee-deep in our democracy.
An all-out war on environmental protection.
A Justice Department rolling back civil rights by the day.
Hatred and supremacy proudly marching in our streets.
Bullets tearing through our classrooms, concerts, and congregations. Targeting our safest, sacred places.
And that nagging, sinking feeling, no matter your political beliefs: this is not right. This is not who we are.
It would be easy to dismiss the past year as chaos. Partisanship. Politics.
But it’s far bigger than that. This administration isn’t just targeting the laws that protect us — they are targeting the very idea that we are all worthy of protection.
For them, dignity isn’t something you’re born with but something you measure.
By your net worth, your celebrity, your headlines, your crowd size.
Not to mention, the gender of your spouse. The country of your birth. The color of your skin. The God of your prayers.
Their record is a rebuke of our highest American ideal: the belief that we are all worthy, we are all equal and we all count. In the eyes of our law and our leaders, our God and our government.
That is the American promise.
But today that promise is being broken. By an administration that callously appraises our worthiness and decides who makes the cut and who can be bargained away.
They are turning American life into a zero-sum game.
Where, in order for one to win, another must lose.
Where we can guarantee America’s safety if we slash our safety net.
We can extend health care to Mississippi if we gut it in Massachusetts.
We can cut taxes for corporations today if we raise them for families tomorrow.
We can take care of sick kids if we sacrifice Dreamers.
We are bombarded with one false choice after another:
Coal miners or single moms. Rural communities or inner cities. The coast or the heartland.
As if the mechanic in Pittsburgh and the teacher in Tulsa and the day care worker in Birmingham are somehow bitter rivals, rather than mutual casualties of a system forcefully rigged for those at the top.

As if the parent who lies awake terrified that their transgender son will be beaten and bullied at school is any more or less legitimate than the parent whose heart is shattered by a daughter in the grips of opioid addiction.
So here is the answer Democrats offer tonight: we choose both. We fight for both. Because the strongest, richest, greatest nation in the world shouldn’t leave any one behind.
We choose a better deal for all who call this country home.
We choose the living wage, paid leave and affordable child care your family needs to survive.
We choose pensions that are solvent, trade pacts that are fair, roads and bridges that won’t rust away, and good education you can afford.
We choose a health care system that offers mercy, whether you suffer from cancer or depression or addiction.
We choose an economy strong enough to boast record stock prices and brave enough to admit that top C.E.O.s making 300 times the average worker is not right.
We choose Fall River.
We choose the thousands of American communities whose roads aren’t paved with
wsucram15 Added Jan 31, 2018 - 5:20pm
but with honest effort, good faith, and the resolve to build something better for their kids.
That is our story. It began the day our Founding Fathers and Mothers set sail for a New World, fleeing oppression and intolerance.
It continued with every word of our Independence — the audacity to declare that all men are created equal. An imperfect promise for a nation struggling to become a more perfect union.
It grew with every suffragette’s step, every Freedom Riders voice, every weary soul we welcomed to our shores.
And to all the “Dreamers” watching tonight, let me be clear: Ustedes son parte de nuestra historia. Vamos a luchar por ustedes y no nos vamos alejar.
You are a part of our story. We will fight for you. We will not walk away.
America, we carry that story on our shoulders.
You swarmed Washington last year to ensure no parent has to worry if they can afford to save their child’s life.
You proudly marched together last weekend — thousands deep — in the streets of Las Vegas and Philadelphia and Nashville.
You sat high atop your mom’s shoulders and held a sign that read: “Build a wall and my generation will tear it down.”
You bravely say, me too. You steadfastly say, black lives matter.
You wade through floodwaters, battle hurricanes, and brave wildfires and mudslides to save a stranger.
You fight your own, quiet battles every single day.
You drag your weary bodies to that extra shift so your families won’t feel the sting of scarcity.
You leave loved ones at home to defend our country overseas, or patrol our neighborhoods overnight.
You serve. You rescue. You help. You heal.
That — more than any law or leader, any debate or disagreement — that is what drives us toward progress.
Bullies may land a punch. They might leave a mark. But they have never, not once, in the history of our United States, managed to match the strength and spirit of a people united in defense of their future.
Politicians can be cheered for the promises they make. Our country will be judged by the promises we keep.
That is the measure of our character. That’s who we are.
Out of many. One.
Ladies and gentlemen, have faith: The state of our union is hopeful, resilient, enduring.
Thank you, God bless you and your families, and God bless the United States of America.
Leroy Added Jan 31, 2018 - 5:40pm
"Not too much excitement for the SOTU that I am seeing."

A 75% approval is almost unheard of.  A 97% approval among Republicans is even surprising.  Even among the diehard Democrats, he got 43%.  I don't think anybody expected anything earth-shattering.  I give him an A+ for electrifying the audience.  Substance?  I don't know.  I didn't expect any.
Leroy Added Jan 31, 2018 - 5:47pm
I was so distracted by Joe Three's sobering that I couldn't listen to it more than five minutes.  I hate to be callous and trivial, but it is the truth.  It seemed to have no relationship to the SOTU.  I thought Maxine Waters was going to make the speech.  It would have been a lot funnier.
wsucram15 Added Jan 31, 2018 - 7:03pm
Its a speech Leroy..I liked the other speech and dont like trump.  Its a matter of perspective I guess
Flying Junior Added Feb 1, 2018 - 3:25am
William,

I got in trouble with Mrs. Junior for yelling at the TV.
Thomas Napers Added Feb 1, 2018 - 3:35am
Either there is a typo in your title or you would like us all to shut the fuck up.
Flying Junior Added Feb 1, 2018 - 4:10am
Sorry Thomas,

Fixed it.  Bad play on words.  The only one I want to STFU...

Well, fat chance.  Peace brother.
Flying Junior Added Feb 1, 2018 - 4:14am
wsucram,

A fitting testimony from the birth state of John Fitzgerald Kennedy.  You and your fellow delegates have honored the legacy of JFK and BHO.  Thank you for this affirmation.  You have reflected my own shared values.  I needed something like this.

We watched BHO with Letterman this evening.  Very healing to see him reflect on his time as president and his lovely family.  He is such a wonderful human being.  Highly recommended for normal people feeling the pain, on netflix instant streaming, "My Next Guest Needs No Introduction."

So I took Mrs. Junior to the library this afternoon and she found a copy of, "Goldfinger."  For younger readers, this James Bond movie is about a man with the Midas touch who loved nothing more than gold.  Even the beautiful women he surrounded himself with could not inspire his love.  He had an evil plan to burglarize Fort Knox.

Leroy Added Feb 1, 2018 - 9:26am
"Affirmation of traditional values coupled with comedic relief.  I'm feeling much better today."

We'll see if we can change that... ;)
Don Added Feb 1, 2018 - 3:16pm
If I had been down on the House floor I could skip my daily deep knee bend workout.  I would have been jumping up and sitting down with my fellow Republicans.  Also I could watch Pelosi’s head spinning around like in the exorcist,
giving her subjects the evil eye to make sure they didn’t move a muscle.  And there was Schumer sinking slowly towards the floor and the Latin running out the door at the sound of patriots chanting USA.  Great show!
Bill H. Added Feb 1, 2018 - 3:38pm
Yes, Don - A reaction typical of those who know the real Donald Trump and all of the lies and blaming he has offered for years. They know better.
I couldn't believe the cheering and clapping from his supporters when he fired out the line about "Beautiful Clean Coal".
Shows they will pretty much fall for anything he spouts!
Thomas Napers Added Feb 2, 2018 - 3:10am
Flying Junior - Let me guess, a “reasonable” conservative is one that agrees with liberals?

Utpal Patel – Great comment.  The problem is that despite having more reasonability in our tax code since the passing of the new tax plan, the heist continues. Our government still taxes way too much for its citizens to be truly free of government thievery.
Flying Junior Added Feb 2, 2018 - 3:44am
Right now Thomas, I am happy to talk to any conservative that does not hold a visceral hatred for liberals.  You seem reasonable to me.  I do not doubt that many on the left share the same type of hatred for the other side.  I really don't know.  The hatred from the right is visible and palpable.  Maybe I don't know where to look for left-wing hatred.  I know that my hippie wife and I hold no hatred for any of our fellow Americans and are constantly surprised by the hatred that we encounter from the hardcore right.

So I mentioned hatred six times.  Does that mean I should buy a thesaurus?
Thomas Napers Added Feb 2, 2018 - 4:18am
“Maybe I don't know where to look for left-wing hatred.”

I’ll be happy to point it out to you.  Right here in this article.  It was you that said I have “no space for such niceties” and then proceeded to sling insult after insult towards the right.

Let’s make one thing perfectly clear, there is visceral hatred coming from both sides of the political aisle.  You thinking there is more of it from the right towards the left, is evidence of your political bias making it impossible for you to be fair and honest in your assessment of the situation.  Let’s not forget, it’s the Left that rejoices in their resistance to Trump and the GOP.  So much so that you marched on the day after his inauguration and many days thereafter.  I recall no anti-Obama marches.

Utpal provided a logical and rational response to your suggestion there was a tax heist.  You can either address the merits of his argument or continue to insult us by equating us to bank robbers. My money is on the latter.
Flying Junior Added Feb 2, 2018 - 4:32am
I name it a heist because it gives one trillion $$ to the wealthy elite thereby forcing spending cuts which will hurt Americans including cuts to Medicare.  It also will dramatically increase the national debt, particularly with respect to Trump's attitude of unlimited military spending.  Off-topic, I'm not really sure where he intends to come up with funds for his infrastructure plan.

Fuck.  I do my best not to hate you guys.  Give me some credit.
Dino Manalis Added Feb 2, 2018 - 8:28am
 Trump is trying to bring us together, most Americans liked the speech, the president and Schumer should meet again to hammer out a final agreement on immigrants.  It's time for bipartisanship and policymaking!
Eric Reports Added Feb 2, 2018 - 2:52pm
Trump gets an A+.  You get an F.
Flying Junior Added Feb 2, 2018 - 3:38pm
I liked certain things too, Dino.  It was a formidable speech.  I am glad I watched it if for nothing else than to help me understand Trump's appeal to conservatives.  For now I am hopeful.  However I would like to see more give and take.  So far I don't see very many concessions coming from the other side.  I don't really like holding DACA recipients hostage for the wall.  That's not fair compromise.
Leroy Added Feb 2, 2018 - 10:07pm
"I don't really like holding DACA recipients hostage for the wall.  That's not fair compromise."

Let's face it, FJ.  The wall is no big deal.  It was the centerpiece of Trump's campaign.  The Democrats just want to deny Trump the victory; otherwise, they don't care.  The wall is a small concession.  The truth is the Democrats are holding America hostage over the DACAs.  They have jettisoned their African-American support for the DACAs.  DACAs are more important than Americans, more important than African-Americans.   They are the anti-white party.

Trump gave them a deal beyond their wildest expectations.  I can only gather that Trump is playing chess while the Democrats are playing checkers.  He is trying to force the Democrats into an indefensible position.  I believe he aims to win the DACAs.  The Democrats are distracted by their blind hatred of Trump.

Flying Junior Added Feb 3, 2018 - 1:53am
The democratic uproar over DACA is misplaced.  If they are deported it is on the Trump administration.  They should play it smart and leave it alone.  It's not worth giving away the store.  All they have to do is last another three years anyway.
Leroy Added Feb 3, 2018 - 9:45am
I don't think we have to worry about deportation of DACAs.  I do hope that we deport the anti-American one who denounces the US and especially those who carry the Mexican flag and stomp on the American one.  They are here by the grace of the American people.  If they don't like it, they should be shown the door.

"All they have to do is last another three years anyway."

It's the triumph of hope over experience.
Phil Greenough Added Feb 3, 2018 - 2:48pm

Trump is trying to secure the borders and provide a path to citizenship for the Dreamers.  The Democrats only want to provide a path to citizenship for the dreamers.  So in terms of the two brands of immigration reform, I’m quite confident the American people side with Trump.  It’s one of the main reasons he was elected.  As far as preventing them from getting back to their home countries, no politician is standing in their way.  So I have no idea what struggle you’re talking about.  The problem is that the economy is so strong under Trump they will continue to come here illegally and in greater numbers.  That is until we secure the border.
Don Added Feb 4, 2018 - 2:32pm
FJ I name it a heist because it gives one trillion $$ to the wealthy elite .
.  How do you give money to someone when it is theirs already?
Don Added Feb 4, 2018 - 2:35pm
Of course dreamer's parents have to go back.  They not only broke our laws, but they were models for their children.  What is it about breaking the law that those on the left don't understand?
Leroy Added Feb 5, 2018 - 9:29am
Here's a YouTube video with some surprising reactions to "Trump's" SOTU address.   Do you think there might be some bias?
Flying Junior Added Feb 6, 2018 - 10:37pm
Don,

It's not truly theft.  That's just my inflammatory hyperbole.  And it could not have been accomplished in a more legal manner.  But the rationale is that these corporations and businesses never could have created their financial empires and success were it not for a stable nation with security, infrastructure and a free people.  We all benefit in one way or another from government services.  Perhaps it is only local government services that benefit the majority of people tangibly.  But we all benefit from living and working in a land free from invasion, indiscriminate law enforcement and oppression.  A steady government and a reliable system of courts also buttress the business environment.

I think the Trump tax cuts are disproportionately tilted towards the wealthy.  I will never understand why ordinary Americans such as yourself cheer for the 1% when they write themselves a huge payday.  It's one of the great mysteries of our contemporary society.
Flying Junior Added Feb 6, 2018 - 10:40pm
Hmmmmmm....  Could be!
Bill H. Added Feb 7, 2018 - 12:18pm

Well, we all witnessed how long Trump's promise to "unite" lasted!
Any hope ended with his latest "treasonous" label.
Now he wants to have a Military parade, just like his idols.
Maybe we will all be able to watch it on "State TV"!
Flying Junior Added Feb 7, 2018 - 2:38pm
Here is the Gadaffi image.  Hee-hee.

Bill H. Added Feb 7, 2018 - 5:14pm
Katharine Otto Added Feb 18, 2018 - 11:37am
FJ,
I didn't watch the speech.  In my opinion, getting rid of the individual insurance mandate is the only thing Trump has done right, and he didn't do it alone.  The mandate was a huge personal rights violation, especially for those of us who don't believe in insurance or in mandates, or--for that matter--the western health care model.

I also approve of the fact that Trump hasn't gotten us into new wars yet, even if he's increasing forces against the countries we are currently bullying.

He's obviously owned by the fossil fuel industry, which may partly explain why he slapped a 30% tariff on solar panels.

The wall is stupid and an expensive diversionary tactic to keep the country from doing more practical things like repairing decrepit bridges.  We have plenty of pavement, already, which contributes mightily to climate change.

Trump has allocated money to deepen the Savannah port, so we can export the good stuff and import the junk faster.  He's also allocated money to the only nuclear power plant being built in this country in 25 years.  Nuclear power plants don't produce CO2, doncha know, so they are okey dokey for those who don't live downriver.  That was a nice subsidy for Southern Company and the money exporters who own the Fed.
Flying Junior Added Feb 21, 2018 - 2:41am
Obama didn't start any new wars either.  Trump has come much closer to starting another.

Nuclear power is poison fire.  Even if nothing ever goes wrong, you have to store the spent fuel in underground concrete vaults for anywhere from two hundred to ten thousand years.  But things always go wrong.  Fukushima.  I can only thank the goddess that something went wrong with San Onofre.  Taking this nuclear power plant off-line that for so many years provided power to us all was the greatest event in environmental law for the State of California since the banning of off-shore drilling.