*Public toilet in new airport Dakar-Diass, Senegal* :-))

So finally my 5 weeks in Senegal are over and I just made it back to Switzerland. When I left, a freezing cold period started, I came back and it was over. Nice timing, eh ?

Full success down there but I don't want to bore you with business stuff. I put on 5 kg, which is very unusual for me, and people just look puzzled when I tell them I've had to go to Africa in order to gain weight ;-)

They still think that the whole continent is poor and starving, just because all they know is some pics of hungry kids on World Vision commercials. "Terrorism" is no threat in Senegal, contrary to neighboring countries such as Mali or Cameroon, but the government has taken precautions, also in view of the fact that oil and gas productions will start to pay off in 2021, and hotels are built like crazy, because the new airport is 10 kms from the beach (quite convenient that my house is just being built in this area....)

The minister of Interior told us at a business dinner in his home that any sort of project will be considered and put up to competition, because there is a development program by the state at work which includes everything from factories to mining to tourism, security, health improvement, road redesigning etc., and that's where we're into as consultants.

So far, only the Chinese, Russians, Turks and Germans have figured the possibilities, and are slowly edging the old colons France out of the game, which is very welcomed by most of the population...

I tell you, you'll hear from Senegal in the future. Only thing is prices go up, and wages for the small existing organized work market don't go with it at the same pace......

Pardero Added Mar 8, 2018 - 4:19am
Fascinating first hand account. I am glad to hear they are prospering.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Mar 8, 2018 - 4:26am
Thanks. It's really nice to see that there are highways built, the capital Dakar, which is a congested shithole ;-) is being partly relocated out of town (lots of businesses and government sites are moving out into a suburb away from the peninsula into a newly constructed town which will provide 30'000 homes for families), and plastic bags are being banned, because there's no recycling plants yet.
I guess it's becoming the most advanced country in West Africa. Also because there hasn't been a war in ages....
wsucram15 Added Mar 8, 2018 - 4:51am
So how are you doing?
Ric Wells Added Mar 8, 2018 - 5:24am
Buddy your home is Africa not Switzerland. Easy to say harder to do. Get your butt back there as soon as you can. Happiness peace and prosperity await.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Mar 8, 2018 - 7:16am
Still alive and full of power ;))
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Mar 8, 2018 - 7:17am
You're so right. And it gets closer and closer !
Jeffry Gilbert Added Mar 8, 2018 - 7:55am
Happy for your success. Hoping you are able to make it back there permanently sooner rather than later.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Mar 8, 2018 - 11:27am
Latest October I will move permanently. Although they want me back May already. Gotta sort that out with family and quit job and apartment.
Katharine Otto Added Mar 8, 2018 - 11:51am
Leave it to me to worry about all that development by foreign interests.  I just finished The Land Grabbers, by Fred Pearce, 2014 about how this scam works, and Africa is a major target.  He doesn't write about Senegal, but several other African countries are mentioned.  I thought about you.
Did that African food cure your ulcer?  If you gained weight, it must have helped.
George N Romey Added Mar 8, 2018 - 11:53am
SEF coukd be worse, you could be coming back to the US.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Mar 8, 2018 - 1:19pm
To the US ? Nope thanks. I don't want to neither get shot nor finish on the street as a bum !
opher goodwin Added Mar 8, 2018 - 1:25pm
Welcome back Stone - I'm glad it went well. It's good to hear that Senegal is looking like a success story. Africa needs a few success stories. When do you head back.
wsucram15 Added Mar 8, 2018 - 1:55pm  although its really not funny.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Mar 8, 2018 - 2:20pm
Oph depends. We're on to some big deals which could pay off big when they get through. But as in all big deals, the money could arrive n months from now after projects have passed n examinations and n legal procedures have been settled....
I could actually have stayed, I was even pressed for it, but the financial situation at the time being doesn't allow me to give up my job in Switzerland as long as some things are not clear and signed by all parties and the work has begun. But latest October I'll be there for good.
opher goodwin Added Mar 8, 2018 - 2:46pm
Stone - I know how those things work. There is always uncertainty until the process is in operation.
It's something to look forward to!!
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Mar 8, 2018 - 2:49pm
Sure. Hope is the only thing that keeps us going - and investing into that hope !
opher goodwin Added Mar 8, 2018 - 6:53pm
Hope and love are two things most worth investing in. I suppose you could add friendship to that.
Mustafa Kemal Added Mar 8, 2018 - 8:22pm
Stone-Eater, thank you for a  such welcome piece of good news in this world with so little.
Im glad you are part of it and Im glad you are successful.
Gaining weight in Africa, that is funny.
Michael B. Added Mar 8, 2018 - 8:51pm
A squat toilet! I see you had it First Class there, Stone! Spitzen klasse! lol
The Burghal Hidage Added Mar 8, 2018 - 9:20pm
good to hear you are well friend :)
Mustafa Kemal Added Mar 8, 2018 - 10:22pm
Stone, I used those toilets regularly in Turkey, the most regularity I have every experienced.  I spoke to a Sikh friend of mine and he said
"yes, we call it pooping yoga, it is the natural way"  So now, It is my preferred method, but alas, they are difficult to find in the USA.
When I got home I told the wife I would like to install one in the house,, and she said
youve got to me shitting me
Tubularsock Added Mar 9, 2018 - 2:26am
Stone, glad things are working out. Everything takes time and a bit of chance taking.
Happy to see you have returned safely and wish you well.
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Mar 9, 2018 - 5:11am
That toilet was in the airport :-)
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Mar 9, 2018 - 5:13am
Where I live in Senegal we have a "normal" toilet but use water ;-) Shower's never working because of the low pressure of the water, so we use buckets. And of course we don't have hot water - what for in Africa LOL
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Mar 9, 2018 - 5:14am
Thanks :-) Now, back in Switzerland, I have more time and a regular net connection ;-)
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Mar 9, 2018 - 5:15am
Thanks ! ..... and I could do very well without daily news about the Orange Nuthead or the German Special Ferkel :-)
Michael B. Added Mar 9, 2018 - 9:06am
For some reason, it reminds me of a dump I took some years ago, when I was taking narcotic painkillers; I didn't shit for a week, and when I finally did, I was out in a forest. It was about (estimated) 2.5 feet long and would have easily clogged any toilet that I know of, lol. A squat toilet would have been more appropriate!
Stone-Eater Friedli Added Mar 9, 2018 - 11:16am

Recent Articles by Writers Stone-Eater Friedli follows.