The beaten housewife dilemma

This is something I wrote just after the election as a form of therapy and also to document my recollections of how this went down from my perspective.

I began this election season with a passion for collecting  Donald Trump quotes.

I have quite a collection. The idea that a billionaire New York wheeler and dealer, who could hardly put four words together in a row, and was part of a tv series where his role was to tell people that “your fired” was going to run for president, intrigued me.

Moreover, some of the quotes are quite remarkable.  Mel Brooks said something like

“he cant get out of the race. He’s the best thing for comedy that has happened in decades” (I wonder what he thinks now). But eventually, it started taking up so much time I needed to get back to work.

I campaigned hard for Bernie Sanders.  When we saw the DNC steal that election

we knew that the Democratic leadership was not going to accept the Bern. Ok, politics is dirty and Bernie lost.

But when wikileaks exposed the DNC corruption,  they decided it was best if the head of the DNC, Deborah Wasserman-Schults, would leave, but instead of sanely having her gracefully disappear for awhile, Hillary says something like “we will make her an honorary member of the campaign”. I thought, she just said “fuck you america. If you are loyal to me and screw the american people, I will make you royalty. Then after Bill Clinton met AG Loretta Lynch on the tarmac in Phoenix and spent half an hour in private in the airplane she does it again. Hillary says something like “hindsight is 20-20”. Kinda like the weak female AG just couldnt resist the big strong male Bill Clinton. I thought, two Marie Antoinetteisms. Im getting real tired of this abuse.

So, as with other disaffected Bernie supporters, during the election I started to suffer from some serious cognitive dissonance as  follows:

“So, Hillary and the DNC stole the primary election and stole it from possibly the first good presidential candidate since Kennedy, but because the alternative (The Donald) was so horrific, I am supposed to vote for Hillary”

As a student of fallacies and dilemmas, I recognized the the cognitive dissonance was coming from this election dilemma. Was this a classical dilemma? After searching I found it  It is “ the beaten housewife dilemma” Namely, a man beats his wife. He then informs her that either she stays with him or out she goes.

Now, dilemmas you cant really solve. The only way to really solve a dilemma is what is called a “change in logical type”. Namely, from the view of the housewife, the husband thinks she has two options. 1) stay or 2) leave. But he does not realise that there is a third. 3) she takes a loaded revolver and shoots him dead.

She may go to jail, but the dilemma is over.  So thats what I did. I killed my abusive candidate and her democratic party. Not only did I not vote for Hillary (that would be the leaving option), I instead voted for the Donald (killing the abusive husband option). Now, the first thing many ask me is “ do you regret it?” No I do not. I simply participated in the destruction of the Hildebeast and the Democratic party. Do I support Trump? No, I do not. i think he is a dangerous fool.

Let me finish with these final thoughts. The morning after I voted I was extremely melancholy. What has this country become where I would vote for such a creature? I went that afternoon to one of my cafes and found one of my cafe buddies.  We greeted and signalled that yes we could visit and so I sat down with him. I said

“Mike, your looking real chipper today” He said, “Yup, I think we are really going to be able to hold Hillary’s feet to the fire on this progressive platform” I laughed but said “you cant be serious” but I did not mention that the real reason I laughed was the arrogance regarding the outcome of election. That was the first time I realized that the left was quite clueless as to what was going on to the right.

Comments

Pardero Added Mar 8, 2018 - 6:03pm
Mustafa,
We arrived at the same place from different starting points.
Some years ago, I was a Ron Paul supporter and delegate to the county convention. We won my county but lost the state. The campaign petered out and many were disillusioned.
Some thoughtful young people, that I admire, were heavily invested in Bernie's campaign. Most of them voted Trump.
I liked Rand Paul. I also liked Jim Webb for the Democrats. My guys never really got off to a decent start.
No matter which fake team you vote for, you get war and welfare and banksters running the country. Like Harlequin in the award winning short story by Harlan Ellison, Trump is a disruptor of the sick status quo. The legion of desperate and depraved enemies alone, shows us that he is drawing blood. The excesses and abuses of the other team is what caused their loss. They will only be in the wilderness that much longer until they do some soul searching. They are still throwing hissy fits instead of getting reality checks, so it is gonna be awhile.
Trump has actually accomplished a lot but people don't know because of the adversarial MSM. I am greatly disappointed in his warmongering, but the other side would have been worse. I am pleased for the most part, Mustafa, and glad that we, once again, find ourselves on the same side. Peace.
Mustafa Kemal Added Mar 8, 2018 - 6:20pm
Pardero, although it appears that we are in full agreement here, i want you to know that I care more about learning and communication than whether someone agrees with me or not. Some of my best friends do not agree with me on many important issues. IMO, the reason that we are good friends is that it is OK with both of us. We both seem to value what we get from the interaction. I hope that is good with you, because I like what I see in you also.

With Love,
Mustafa

The Burghal Hidage Added Mar 8, 2018 - 8:34pm
Burn down the disco and hang the DJ, as it were?
Mustafa Kemal Added Mar 8, 2018 - 8:53pm
Burghal Hidage,
the music was pretty foul and the DJ was condescending and wouldnt give up the turntable to better music and DJ.

Looking for a new music hall, but its tough out there. Few want to talk with anyone who doesnt already agree.

The Burghal Hidage Added Mar 8, 2018 - 9:08pm
Mustafa! You shake me to the core, man! Are you suggesting that you have encountered bias?  Here? You hear about all sorts of foul deeds these days.
The Burghal Hidage Added Mar 8, 2018 - 9:18pm
Its not so hard to pick your way through the nettles here.  You don't always find people who agree. You sometimes do. If you find anyone with whom you are in agreement on everything beware: they probably want something.  Doesn't take long to figure which are honest voices. Honesty doesn't have to agree with the listener's conscience to be honest.

Truth? Well....that's another matter altogether.
Mustafa Kemal Added Mar 8, 2018 - 10:06pm
Burghal Bey, indeed, you are correct.
" If you find anyone with whom you are in agreement on everything beware: they probably want something. "
Yet it is worse than that, it is death.

But I dont need or want agreement, I seek communication, real communication through something that resembles a dialectic.  I seek to learn, to share, to communicate with my fellow beings.

Funny, it seems we are in agreement!
Mustafa

James Travil Added Mar 9, 2018 - 12:09am
I honestly had pretty much zero interest in the election for the most part. In general I have a very little interest in politics. I've been both a Republican and a Democrat over the years and came to the conclusion that both parties are essentially full of fakes and crooks, liars and frauds. So, being a moderate and feeling left out I pretty much dropped out of investing time and energy in politics some time ago.

But one of my ladies was a big Sanders supporter and because of that I became well aware of the dirty dealings (well above and beyond the usual) of the DNC rigging the primarys for Hillary and her two-faced antics. My other lady is Russian and I really didn't care for Hillary’s Russophobic racist crazy psychopathic nonsense about Russia, and the blaming them for everything bad, from well before the election.

Those two things energized me to vote for Trump, to do whatever possible to keep Hillary out of the White House. From a number of the independent journalists I follow I became convinced by Hillary’s previous warmongering and Russia hate, plus her being a neocon who is influenced by neocon think tanks, that she was intent to plunging us into a war with Russia if elected, being crazy enough to believe it was winnable. After that I saw it as an imperative to ensure Clinton's loss. I'm happy I was a part of that. Because I am about as sure as possible that had crazy pantsuit been elected, most of us would be dead today. So I will never regret voting for Trump or take any shit for it.

Now of course there is all this Clintonite inspired Russiagate crap. One Russian did help inspire my vote for Trump, but it wasn't Putin. And I'm EXTREMELY doubtful about the Russian-Trump collusion crap (and absolutely certain that the DNC Russian Hacking conspiracy theories are false), but I will say that whoever released TRUTHFUL information about Hillary Clinton is deserving of our eternal praise for saving the world from Clinton and nuclear Armageddon. I don't care who it was, but they are a hero to every sane human being on the planet, and to hell with the rest.

Anyhow that's my experience and two cents.

Mustafa Kemal Added Mar 9, 2018 - 12:24am
James Travil, thanks for the remarks about our march to war with Russian and Russia gate. That was indeed part of my choice, a hope in the promise of MAGA through
the attention to the USA and the desire to avoid this confrontational trajectory that we are on through our warmongering.

But it does seem that they now own The Donald. We tried.

Now, lets see what we can do about it.

Pardero Added Mar 9, 2018 - 12:32am
James Travil,
The person you should be grateful to was likely Seth Rich, who was murdered in a fluke random murder. A lot of those happen around the Clintons.
It is a shame that the bogus Russia gate crap will always prevent Trump and Putin from having a cordial relationship. So the Dems underhanded plan is still totally sucessful. Putin deserves a lot of credit for preventing Syria from becoming another Libya or Afghanistan. So far, anyway. I don't have a problem with Putin in spite of the MSM demonizing him. I could get slammed pretty hard on some forums for saying that.
Flying Junior Added Mar 9, 2018 - 4:00am
I have zero respect for anyone who voted for the monster.

Mustafa,

I'm glad that you were ashamed of voting for Trump.  It reminds me of the morning of September 11, 2001.  I had to drive my friend to work south of I-8.  On the way home I stopped at El Cuervito and had Juevos Rancheros and a beer.  Nobody was saying anything.  I cried later.

You are mistaken.  You have believed the lie.  This entire flap with the DNC and emails from DWS is just what Putin wanted the Bernie supporters to believe.  Fuck Julian Assange.  May he be butt-raped by demons in hell.

The truth is, super-delegates or not, Hillary received many more votes than Bernie in every state.

It's nice to hear middle-of-the-roader, James Travil, weigh in.  But that does not change the truth.  Just another sucker.  Happy with your boy, Trump?  Because I'm not too thrilled personally.

You would have to be an idiot that does not trust Wikipedia to believe such simple-minded tripe as this crap about the DNC.  She won the primaries.  Why is that not accepted fact?  WTF is wrong with you guys?  Look it up.

Look it up for yourselves.  So you guys are glad that the monster triumphed over Mrs. Clinton.  Good luck with that.
George N Romey Added Mar 9, 2018 - 4:08am
Just wait to how bad the 2020 election will be. I’m for one just will sit home.
opher goodwin Added Mar 9, 2018 - 5:51am
Mustafa - It has a bit of the baby spitting out his dummy to me. Voting for someone out of pique seems a poor response.
I would like to have seen Bernie come through but voting for Trump is never going to be the answer.
It seems to me, from afar, that both the Democrats and Republicans are in a nadir. Something needs to happen. I don't think putting in someone like Trump is the answer.
Why cut your nose off to spite your face? Or is it more that by making things so bad that something good will come out of it? - the system will have to be changed?
This vilification of Clinton seems far too simplistic to me.
Mustafa Kemal Added Mar 9, 2018 - 9:48am
opher, re
" It has a bit of the baby spitting out his dummy to me. "
You might say such an adhominem, but
I am not crying over spilt milk.

FJ, that was not shame, that was melancholy. Shame was what I would have felt voting for Hillary.

To all,  I can disagree and we can squabble over all your points, but I see no benefit.

As for me, I am living in the present, trying to deal with the catastrophe that we find ourselves in, not the catastrophe that we just avoided, which many "presume" would have been much better, the sort of presumptiousness that lost the election. No, not lost, was blindsided.

Instead of "zero respect" for anyone who voted for the monster
or "full contempt" for the libtards and their snowflake tears,

does anyone want to engage in dialogue about what to do NOW?

I do, that is why I am here.
Mustafa Kemal Added Mar 9, 2018 - 10:07am
opher, re:
" It has a bit of the baby spitting out his dummy to me. "

Is that what  firing a loaded revolver into the abusers head sounds like to you?

I think its time the left quit their tantrums and get to work trying to develop an actual platform other than "We are with her" or
"We are against him"

How about  a thought experiment?

1) Bring the troops home. Department of Defence is to be used for Defense and all wars shall be declared by congress. No more regime change to make the world safe for democracy.

2) Get money out of politics, completely, Begin wtih Citizens united. You can follow that by firing all congress and starting over. Only fresh blood need apply

3) End the Fed

4) Pull the plug on CIA. Lights out.

It may be a surprise many on the left, but those 4 points would gain a lot of support from disaffected Trump supporters

Got anything to offer?

Mustafa Kemal Added Mar 9, 2018 - 10:11am
opher, one more to add
5) reduce Pentagon and MIC budget by 75%.
Use proceeds to rebuild and re educate and train America

I think most of the disaffected Trump supporters could get behing that too.

Mustafa
Flying Junior Added Mar 9, 2018 - 3:06pm
Reduce Pentagon and MIC budget by 75%.

I'd vote for Rand Paul if he could pull that one off.  Maybe his dad could be the Secretary of Defense.  Then we could retrain all the workers in the munitions industry and weapons merchants to get jobs in the renewable energy sector.
Benjamin Goldstein Added Mar 9, 2018 - 3:20pm
Mustafa, I must say that we all get thrown out of the left with vigor. Hardly anybody glides over peacefully. Eventually most people become conservative at some point in time and it comes with the realization that one was dealing with a snakepit.
James Travil Added Mar 9, 2018 - 3:26pm
"You would have to be an idiot that does not trust Wikipedia"
I'll be that "idiot" if being an "idiot" now means rejecting a neoliberal biased and unprofessional source like Wikipedia over the 100% truthful journalism of Wikileaks. Talk about being an idiot.
Mustafa Kemal Added Mar 9, 2018 - 5:57pm
James Travil, re:
""You would have to be an idiot that does not trust Wikipedia""
Did someone really say that? Maybe it was a typo.

On the off chance someone did, let me tell them that in my work i search the web for scientific publications and facts regularly. I heavily use Wikipedia, but NEVER trust it. The number of errors is huge and I can say that in my work that the errors dominate.  I simply use it as a starting point and sometimes its not even good for that.

And if you should ever cite Wikipedia, you will never pull that again.

It is almost like the unemployed, or amateurs,  in my field are acting out their grown up fantasies.

Mustafa Kemal Added Mar 9, 2018 - 5:58pm
Flying Junior, you only mention point 5. How about the others?

Mustafa
James Travil Added Mar 9, 2018 - 6:32pm
Mustafa, yes I was quoting Flying Junior, he was trying to suggest that because Wikipedia says Hillary Clinton didn't cheat to "win" the Democratic primary Wikileaks can't be trusted. It is the highth of utter hypocrisy and bullshit because Wikipedia is a neoliberal biased rag. I read just last month that Wikipedia will from now on insist that the Russians hacked the DNC, and they will not allow any articles or entries to disagree with that completely baseless lie. Fact is that the DNC would not even allow the FBI or any legitimate government agency to examine their servers after the alleged "hack" (which was according to reliable experts most likely a leak not a hack). Thus the only way that Wikipedia could possibly know that the DNC was hacked is if they employed psychics or wizards to find out what happened! This is the kind of hyper unprofessionalism that works for a Clintonite like Flying Junior who would insult Wikileaks (which has an impeccable record unlike Wikipedia) and Trump voters after having either the inexcusable ignorance or unmitigated gall to treasonously vote for the Omnicidal warmongering psychopath Hillary Clinton.

It really gets my goat that someone like him would even admit to supporting someone who had they been elected, the United States and all of civilization would have been destroyed. How is Trump worse than that? How is Trump any worse than Obama, Bush, or Bill Clinton for that matter? This type of behavior is simply outrageous and needs to be called out. And for the record if the Democratic Party runs another neoliberal, racist, establishment warmonger in 2020 I will most certainly vote for Trump again, and proudly so. I am sick of neoliberal and neocon establishment scum. They have wrecked our country a million times worse than anything Trump has done.

And BTW I also believe that the DNC LEAK came via Seth Rich. And I wouldn't put it past the Clintons to have had him murdered. They were OK with plotting to wipeout the majority of the human race, what's one guy who exposed them for the inhuman monsters that they really are?

George N Romey Added Mar 9, 2018 - 6:38pm
The 5 points will only happen with economic collapse. As long as the .01% is in power meaningful change won’t happen.
Mustafa Kemal Added Mar 9, 2018 - 7:39pm
George, you are correct.

The issue IMO is how to organize a unification of disaffected left with disaffected right. I think they are in the majority. But they wont talk with each other. If we can come to an understanding we can develop a plan and begin with one.

Lessig ran on a single item platform. If elected he was going to step down and let the VP take over:
: Get money out of politics.

As far as
"As long as the .01% is in power meaningful change won’t happen."
you may be right, but I dont want to give up.

Mustafa Kemal Added Mar 9, 2018 - 7:40pm
James Travil,

Who killed Seth Rich?
James Travil Added Mar 9, 2018 - 7:44pm
"Who killed Seth Rich?"
Supposedly a random killer, but I have strong doubts. Seems like one hell of a "coincidence".
Flying Junior Added Mar 9, 2018 - 9:12pm
I gotta stop talking about Hillary.  Not making any friends doing that.

Mustafa,

I approve of bringing the troops home, I guess you are mostly talking about Afghanistan, Iraq and Africa?  Active military operations.  Yeah.  Let's just get the fuck outta there instead of constantly trying to bottle up terrorism.  It's counter-productive.  If we had stayed home in 2002 and 2003 we wouldn't be in this mess.  Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, Einstein?

The idea of destroying the CIA is tempting.  But they would have to be replaced by a bigger Secret Service.  I'm glad you didn't say anything about the FBI.

The Fed?  Honestly, I don't know much about banking and economics.

I certainly agree about Citizens United.  "Corporations are people, my friend,"  Mitt Romney

Money out of politics?  Wouldn't it be harder than ever for a grass roots guy like Bernie Sanders or Ron Paul?  Do you support public funding of elections?  The current system is out-of-control.  That's for damn sure.  Maybe no donations above $250 and tax PACs for the for-profit entities that they are, if not completely outlaw them.  That's a hard sell because of the First Amendment.
Mustafa Kemal Added Mar 9, 2018 - 10:32pm
Flying Junior, re:

“, I guess you are mostly talking about Afghanistan, Iraq and Africa?  Active military operations. “

No, Im also talking many others. We have our Coastguard now near Korea. Bombers in South China Sea,
, Ukraine Poland, Georgia,  800 bases. Russia has 6.

“Yeah.  Let's just get the fuck outta there instead of constantly trying to bottle up terrorism.”
I have news for you, we have not been doing any such thing. I was in Turkey during the ISIS seige of Kobane. It took them a month to breatk through the city walls. Now, I am no military expert, but sending a dozen F16 or A10s of the carrier in the Med could bave taken out ath seige before they got inside. I spoke with mililtary and all agreed in disgust and dismay. After 2 years of no luck with ISIS, Russian comes in and starts killing ISIS and within 6 month they are on the run., IMO, if we hadnt  been there, they would have been destroyed in a jiffy.
The Saker is a good place to read about this.

re:’The idea of destroying the CIA is tempting.  But they would have to be replaced by a bigger Secret Service.”
I disagree, the CIA is rogue and has been destroying democracies since Allen Dulles tasted blood with the Mosadeq coup in 1953,. The book A mosque in Munich discussed the relationship with Muslim Brotherhood from early on and Osama bin Laden only occured after 40 years on that nonsense.  The Chechnyan uprising was CIA proxy to the underbelly of the evil russians, The Devils Chessboard is a good read. Then, you may want to unplug it and replace it with an “intelligence agency “ with no right to perform military operations. Did you know that the Pentagon was fighting the CIA in syria?
Do you think that Oswald was the “lone shooter?” CIA, I dare call it Treason.

“The Fed?  Honestly, I don't know much about banking and economics.”
Do you want ot know what is destroying the middle class an rich are getiting richer?
Do you think the FED is a US institution? Who do you think runs it and for whom?
How important is it who prints the countries money?

BTW, do you know what a Bailin is? Do you know what Quantitative Easing is?

re:
Money out of politics?  Wouldn't it be harder than ever for a grass roots guy like Bernie Sanders or Ron Paul?”

Sanders ran on almost  NO “political money” If this happened it would have leveled the playing field.
Did you see what he did against the DNC money?   The DNC corruption was also their misuse of campaing funds.. Big time.

re:”tax PACs for the for-profit entities that they are, if not completely outlaw them. “
I am  not proposing solutions only obhectives.

Let me try to put an altright perspective that I think the Left would think is from another planet. But to me it tells  me who is more in touch.  I am very sympathetic with the whole (illegal) immigration thing.  I live among mexicans, I like them and enjoy them. The idea that you let someone live here and raise a family for 20 years and then go “hhoop, you are illegal, you have to go” is both cruel and violates standards of American Law ( Latches and Estopel)
. Also, mexicans have contributed substanially to our economy. Try to get millenials to work in the fields of CA. Try to get young people in my area to do any work. But the left hanging their whole existence on it is an embarrasment if you care about the above points. In that sense, i dont care about DACA, I care about the MIC budget and our progress towards WWIII, wbich the left have been encouraging before the election and then afterwards even more as a political tool to resist the monster. They sound like liberal Doctor  Strangeloves to me. Dont you remember how the left thought the monster was acting “presidential” when he sent those cruise missiles into Syria, while having chocolate cake, using the tired neoliberal “look, a dead baby” meme?  The altright rightly, to my mind, sees this as a kind of insanity.

Finally, as I told dear Pardero, I dont really care if we agree, I dont really care if “you respect me ” or not. I come to learn, to share what I have learned, but most of all I come to communicate.

With Love
Mustafa

Flying Junior Added Mar 10, 2018 - 2:57am
Okay
wsucram15 Added Mar 11, 2018 - 7:59pm
Who you voted for in 2016 doesnt matter now, it did during the counting of the popular vote..but thats it.
As much as i disagree with what happened, our system is electoral, and Trump won, no matter who helped and whether he knew or not.
Its over.
The things people actually need to be focused on are not 2016, but 2018 and Congress.  How to restrict any further expansion of powers by the President which has gone on for too long now. (yes I have previously objected).

George..vote, dont be silly, you are not a silly man.
A. Jones Added Mar 11, 2018 - 8:02pm
Just wait to how bad the 2020 election will be. I’m for one just will sit home.

I've reread these two sentences ten times and I still can't figure out what they mean.
George N Romey Added Mar 11, 2018 - 9:39pm
That’s because Jones isn’t smart enough to understand this discussion.
A. Jones Added Mar 11, 2018 - 9:48pm
That’s because Jones isn’t smart enough to understand this discussion.

No, it's because your English sucks.

Just wait to how bad the 2020 election will be.
Just wait until you see how bad the 2020 election will be.

I’m for one just will sit home.
I, for one, will just sit home.

University of Maryland, eh?

Recent Articles by Writers Mustafa Kemal follows.