My Answer To The Darwinians

My Answer To The Darwinians
  • 692
  • 139
  • 11

Medicine Hat
There will be droughts and days inundated
Unveilings free from saturation
Departures raised with no masquerading.
There will be teachers that die by their own hand
Pundits that push headlong for atonement
Friends and followers devoted to living.
There will be watchers that plot from in confines
And those committed to society's circles
Unwary cogs with no cadence or virtue.
There will be right, there will be wrong.
Drop of the hat and it's already started
Just like that and the deed is done
What I'd give for the hat to be medicine
The time is now to be on the run.
Songwriters: Jay Farrar
Medicine Hat lyrics © BMG Rights Management US, LLC

We can sweep up their corpses and dispose of them like horse droppings after a parade, or we can take additional actions. One way or another, this opioid epidemic is going to affect most Americans. Even if considered unemotionally, this crisis will damage the American economy and culture.

We have not even exhausted some reasonable actions. I am calling for drastic action as Trump promised on the campaign trail. If it takes a new Civilian Conservation Corps to train our fellow Americans for the massive public works and infra-structure projects that need to begin, let's get started.

This crisis deepens as more lose hope that Trump was the cavalry coming to save them from their shattered American dreams and lives. More than anything, we must provide them with hope.

Only the Chinese can comprehend how such a crisis can destroy a society. I believe that we are obligated to make a good faith and commensurate effort to contain this opioid crisis.

This is not like petting a rattle-snake or jumping into a bonfire. This is a seductive invisible killer that nothing in typical experience could prepare one for. If these Americans had a life worth living, I believe many would avoid a temporary anodyne that put that life at risk.

Comments

Flying Junior Added Mar 9, 2018 - 3:42am
I agree.

Sadly, the only action that I have seen is making it harder for surgical patients, such as hernia surgeries, to take home the proper pain medication for aftercare.  What about broken noses?  Chronic back pain?  Just STFU, NPR.  If I hear one more of these oh so concerned, supposed reports...

I suffered from a short episode of myalgia which happened to be associated with metallosis from a dangerous titanium hip implant.  I told my PCP that I was having so much pain in my arms and shoulders...  So I requested a short course of Vicodins.  He did not hesitate.  Another time I was having a bad cough.  I asked for Robitussin with Codeine.  He simply wrote out the prescription.

Actually back pain and shoulder pain is associated with loss of mass in muscle tissue.  But if a patient is in physical therapy, they might benefit from a short course of Percosets.

There is an enormous disconnect.  Doctors are under pressure to counsel their patients to seek alternative methods to relieve pain such as Advil, Tylenol or even acupuncture.  Stress reduction?  It's all bullshit.  God gave us the poppy to care for our wounded.

That said, something is going wrong.  I can't really guess exactly the nature of it.  I would suggest going after localities.  Look for the states with the greatest incidence of oxycontin, oxycodone and vicodin prescriptions per capita.  Then bring the lens down on the offending physicians.  The last thing that I would want to happen is a reduction in necessary pain relief for those who need it.  Something is going on that does not meet the eye.

Last year, failed grifter, Jared Kushner, was charged with solving this epidemic.  So now, Trump has given the job to Kellyanne Conway, who apparently is, "very talented,"

Number one, get the DEA out of this equation.  The problem is corruption.  When I was a kid, it was not unusual to buy White Crosses, Black Beauties and Reds from the black market.  We all knew how it came about.  There were unscrupulous players with inside trusted employees that provided false records and huge bags full of pills ready for the black market.  It should be fairly simple to control these substances today. It's corruption.  Plain and simple.  No one has the sense to root out the true problem.

But I'm placing my faith in Kellyanne.  She was a majorette, right?
opher goodwin Added Mar 9, 2018 - 3:51am
Opioids are a soul-sapping drug that are lethal. They should only be used in extreme circumstances. Why is this still going on? How many deaths does it take?
The Burghal Hidage Added Mar 9, 2018 - 6:15am
Hmmm.....let's see. State forms partnership with pharmaceutical company. Not a real, legally defined partnership mind you. The kind of partnership like communications industry partnership: industry ponies up the requisite dollars for pay-to-play then government agency defines the regulatory field which amounts to a protected franchise for the donor.

Substances manufactured by industry are then legitimized by offer through the controlled and regulated distribution managed by medical professionals (under strict guidance, of course) and insurance providers, who incidentally have similarly participated in a pay-to-play plan with the same government....  please, anyone stop me if there is some piece I'm missing.

What about alcohol? With little argument this is hands down the single most destructive drug ever, in terms of it's impact upon families and society. Opioids, and then by extension we should include heroin, for all of their lethality are a far distant second in terms of their lasting impact. Yet alcohol is not only legitimized, it is indeed glorified. And it is controlled by the state, which coincidentally profits from it through licensing fees and excise taxes. They tax the manufacturer. They tax the distributor. They tax the retailer. And at the end of this chain the consumer pays all the taxes as they are reflected in the price that they pay.

Has the opioid path to market been different? Well certainly! There are many differences, but in common here are the presence of some form of government partnership in the fundamental operation of the model. A select group are protected within a closed loop distribution to assure their control of the profits.

Prohibitions and more regulation are not the solution. Here is your Darwinism: the solution is to remove the profit. The start of that process is the formation of a black market for the commodity and this is already well underway with the rise of cheap heroin. There are people with an agenda who cite the rise of impaired driving incidents since the legalization of marijuana in Colorado. Although their statistics may be accurate, they conveniently ignore another noteworthy statistic that heroin overdoses and abuse have declined.
Let people choose their own poisons and it works like the smart virus, which knows that it's survival is best served if it does not kill it's host.
Flying Junior Added Mar 9, 2018 - 6:50am
Please, anyone stop me if there is some piece I'm missing.

There is plenty that you are missing.  Narcotics were not invented by the Deep State to torment people in Red States.

God provided the poppy to alleviate insufferable pain.

Your last paragraph makes exactly no sense at all.

Just what does that have to do with the topic at hand?

Then you mention Colorado legalizing marijuana.  Those dumb, fucking bastards are not only profitizing marijuana, they want to balance their state budget on the questionable merit of this misguided law.  At least in California, we regulate the new recreational marijuana market.  We are not planning on balancing the state budget on the backs of marijuana smokers.

If I can be allowed to clarify your dissipated observation, I guess your thing is that legal marijuana somehow alleviates heroin addiction.

Fuck you.  The death spiral is driven by Fentanyl.  A prescription drug.  As I stated previously, the problem is corruption.

The increase in DUI convictions in Colorado is a direct result of the misguided effort to legalize cannabis.

So what is your thing, man, just legalize marijuana as an answer to the opioid epidemic?

The Burghal Hidage Added Mar 9, 2018 - 6:53am
You have issues.
Flying Junior Added Mar 9, 2018 - 6:58am
It was Fentanyl that killed Prince.
The Burghal Hidage Added Mar 9, 2018 - 7:03am
Here I invoke my JohnG rule. Read it again. This time take your bias blinders off.

The Burghal Hidage Added Mar 9, 2018 - 8:51am
You catch me in an unusually good humor for this hour, FJ. I think your final punctuation there kind of helps to bear out at least a part of my point. Fentanyl is a synthetic compound, not something your average junkie is going to cook up in their bath tub. It comes from a lab, which operates within the whole "legit" pharma complex. So who's the pusher? Should I need to ask?

The Burghal Hidage Added Mar 9, 2018 - 8:54am
Narcotics were not invented by the Deep State to torment people in Red States.

That's an interesting statement, I guess. And it it would be relevant to what,exactly? Did I say anything of the kind? No, look again, it's in black and white and no translation should be required. Do you hear voices too?
The Burghal Hidage Added Mar 9, 2018 - 8:56am
And as to your passionate condemnation of corruption I again refer you to my initial comment. Do I not outline in detail the nature and scale of that corruption?
The Burghal Hidage Added Mar 9, 2018 - 8:57am
No, you do not the right to clarify anything I say. I don't think you could clarify watercolors with a fire hose, FJ. But thats just my opinion
Pardero Added Mar 9, 2018 - 9:29am
Flying Junior,
I have many replies to make and must be brief. Thank you for your thoughtful comment. I was appalled the comments on another blog and wrote this. I saved for here because it would have been wasted there.
Pardero Added Mar 9, 2018 - 9:33am
The Burghal Hidage,
I tend to agree with your far more knowledgable conclusions. I just want to see more than the administration's feel good lip service.
Pardero Added Mar 9, 2018 - 9:44am
Opher,
Thanks for reading. I am hoping that some truly helpful policies can be quickly implemented that don't hamper the legitemate use of needed pain medications.
Pardero Added Mar 9, 2018 - 9:45am
Legitimate
Even A Broken Clock Added Mar 9, 2018 - 9:55am
Pardero, in this decade I've had two surgeries. My wife had a hip replacement. After each of these surgeries, we left the hospital with a prescription for between 50-100 opioid pills. I think the most we took of these pills was maybe 10 before we weaned ourselves off and used ibuprofen as our painkiller. And this is in West Virginia, the bulls-eye of the opioid target. We made certain that we disposed of our remaining pills as soon as we were sure we didn't need any more.

My wife was told that she could take a pill up to every 4 hours for pain. Had she done that, she could have developed a dependency before the first prescription of 100 pills was up. When she went back a week later for a visit with the orthopedic surgeon, the first question asked by a nurse was whether she needed a refill on the pain pills.

So it is more than those who are hopeless who can become victims of these medicines. The medical system seems to be primed to fulfill the needs for a dependency they create. After all, insurance will pay for the prescriptions, right?

Your points on those who fall victim to opioids and to heroin and fentanyl due to a lack of life options is certainly valid, but from our experiences it is apparent that many more than the downtrodden can become dependent upon these substances.
Pardero Added Mar 9, 2018 - 10:05am
I am not entirely opposed to a Libertarian approach. I am torn on that. It seems that spice has all but disappeared where marijuana has been legalized.
It is my belief that the fake thriving economy is causing the hopelessness and despair that feeds the opioid abuse.
No doubt, the government and doctors legitimized the opioids and helped create the problem.

The Burghal Hidage Added Mar 9, 2018 - 10:06am
That is indeed true Clock and you are undoubtedly in ground zero. My points were that these particular poisons originate not from the dens that mean us ill. Instead they come from the cold, clinical and sanctioned laboratories of what are supposed to be legitimate manufacturers. They are given the same stamp of approval as state controlled alcohol sale. And every strata involved in that system, Pharma, insurance and state, they all profit from it. Are there rogues pirating goods from the labs or pharmacies? Sure, but as you have no doubt seen first hand where you live, the physicians are the enablers. They have a license! = state gets their cut
The Burghal Hidage Added Mar 9, 2018 - 10:10am
the heroin epidemic is an outgrowth of this. the pharma grade opiates, becoming too difficult or too pricey to obtain as a result of stricter controls and scrutiny, the heroin offers more bang for the buck. Plus! Big bonus here: no insurance forms!
The Burghal Hidage Added Mar 9, 2018 - 10:11am
it has reached all age groups and in places one would never have imagined
Pardero Added Mar 9, 2018 - 10:14am
EABC,
Thank you for that first hand experience. I have also been offered opioids for pain, which I have always refused out of fear of dependency.
A belated ham-fisted attempt by the medical profession seems to only be harming those in genuine need.
My own shallow personal experience with opioid dependent people is that those that are/were thriving have the resilience to overcome the dependence. Those that were struggling became lost souls.
The Burghal Hidage Added Mar 9, 2018 - 10:18am
A portrait painted countless times over the last twenty years, Pard. I have known and know a few
Pardero Added Mar 9, 2018 - 10:42am
The Burghal Hidage,
You are far more knowledgeable but I don't see any hope for a consensus except for an education and prevention campaign and then some additional treatment options. A true thriving economy with real opportunity instead of this highly touted fake economy would go a long way to help.
We spend trillions destroying third world countries, can't we spend a few billions on infrastructure and creating jobs that can provide a pleasant life?
As Ron Paul would say,"just tinker around the edges" is all we can do until there is more of a consensus.
The Burghal Hidage Added Mar 9, 2018 - 10:58am
Not a very libertarian approach to throw money at the problem, but your point is taken nonetheless. Too many parties have a vested interest in sowing discord. There may be profit in consensus for someone, but not for them.
Dino Manalis Added Mar 9, 2018 - 11:05am
 Unfortunately, it's a crisis and there's no quick-fix!
Bill H. Added Mar 9, 2018 - 11:28am

I had a hernia surgery about 12 years ago and also left the hospital with a prescription for 50 Vicodins. I only took two doses and stopped due to a bad stomach reaction. I simply continued on Tylenol for a couple days, which worked just fine.
My wife's girlfriend is a medical professional at a local hospital and has filled me in on the incentives provided by pharmaceutical companies for Doctors to prescribe as much medication as possible. This includes vacations, golf games, parties, and of course, cash.
Pardero Added Mar 9, 2018 - 11:31am
True. Not Libertarian at all.
The statists throw money at far less beneficial things. We need the infrastructure improvement. We need decent jobs.
With an unpayable national debt, a debt jubilee is probably the logical outcome.
The deeply affected swing states went for Trump probably because he offered hope from the miserable status quo. He needs to deliver or he will lose them.
Could Trump easily leverage some Chinese interdiction of Fentanyl created in Chinese labs?
Could this issue be a tool for increased border security to block the flow of drugs including opioids?
As long as the demand exists, I can see no relief except for throwing money at the problem, I hope smart money, not token window dressing and virtue signalling.
The Burghal Hidage Added Mar 9, 2018 - 11:36am
Bill H - no coincidence, I suppose, that both medicine and law are professions that are referred to as a "practice" :)
The Burghal Hidage Added Mar 9, 2018 - 11:38am
the whole DEA, ATF,FBI, its all window dressing. Border security? Absolutely, for reasons greater than these!
The Burghal Hidage Added Mar 9, 2018 - 11:38am
the whole war on drugs is a farce
Pardero Added Mar 9, 2018 - 11:49am
Bill H.
I had exactly the same experience for the same issue some 20 years ago. Opioids just aren't right for me. I hope I never have agonizing pain that requires them.
Recently, I had an abcessed tooth and was reminded of the opioid problem when I was offered only Ibuprofen. Aspirin always does wonders for me and was adequate.
Even as a layman, I can't help but notice the slick pharmaceutical reps who are always dropping in at my occasional visits to the clinic. I do believe that there is a welcome new trend for self-restraint by the medical profession. I hear that they are going overboard in some sad cases.
Pardero Added Mar 9, 2018 - 11:58am
Dino,
No quick fix, for sure.
The problem is so huge that I believe it will take unprece-dented intervention to stem the tide. I hope that better minds than mine can design and implement some steps as quickly as possible.
Pardero Added Mar 9, 2018 - 11:59am
Although a few have made great profits from this catastrophe, the many will pay the price.
Dave Volek Added Mar 9, 2018 - 12:21pm
Interesting article and proposition.

The trouble with leaving this mess to Darwinism is that, most often, these people have already done their breeding to pass on their defective genes. Slowly killing oneself by consumption of mind-altering substances will not alter the collective gene pool.

I read an old book on cocaine addiction. The author had an interesting premise: "We should not be studying why some people become addicted, but why other people do not need these narcotics".
George N Romey Added Mar 9, 2018 - 12:40pm
This is a problem tied to economics. Since we’ve been now told the economy and job market are strong the problem by those that profess such nonsense will say the issue with opiates is now solved.
Pardero Added Mar 9, 2018 - 1:00pm
Dave,
Perhaps somewhat uncharacteristically, I am sympathetic to some of these people that got a monkey on their back because of injury or some experimentation with a dangerously powerful substance. Some of the substances are doctor and government approved. Others are much more powerful but offer a similar experience. I am willing to give them a second chance and maybe a third.
Now that is fascinating.
I have known 2 people that took their own life, who both had substance abuse problems. They were both serious people when not 'relaxing'or partying. I could say that they lacked any whimsy, silliness, or ability to laugh at themselves.
As I dart from one obsessive hobby or interest to another, scheme on an adventure story, or delight in my female folkies and pop singers, I have to wonder if I am getting more joy out of life than those that need substances to have a good time.
Some years back, I had a friend who couldn't stop talking about the concert he was going to attend. I asked him to tell me all about the concert and experience, a few days later. He answered that he didn't remember it, he was too ... up.
Pardero Added Mar 9, 2018 - 1:58pm
The Burghal Hidage,
We have lost 'the war on drugs'. We need to try something else.
Pardero Added Mar 9, 2018 - 2:04pm
George,
Thanks for reading.
I was on another blog and couldn't believe the vile and cruel comments. I wrote that in an emotional state and deposited it here, instead of getting slammed by the consensus group over there.
It is a fake economy. I thought of you when I was about to delete my wasted words and figured it would get a sympathetic hearing at WB.
Dave Volek Added Mar 9, 2018 - 2:38pm
Padero
Opher had an interesting article on the religion of consumerism. There are other non-God religions out there, and one of them is recreational use of mind-altering substances. Those who use them tend to regard their activity as a virtue.

While many can stay within the boundaries of recreational usage, too many fall into addiction.

Maybe we need to regard our consumption as signs of an unhealthy society. The 19th century Chinese history should be examined to see if it has lessons for today.

Doug Plumb Added Mar 9, 2018 - 2:47pm
re " I reject the premise that they deserve to die and the world is better off without them and that it is only natural selection at work."
I do too. Its a silly premise partly based on the notion of IQ and social elitism. If your dumb enough you deserve it...something like that. Social Darwinism is for idiots IMO.

re BDH "What about alcohol? With little argument this is hands down the single most destructive drug ever, in terms of it's impact upon families and society."
No one can even try and doubt this.
Jordan Peterson has explained that substance abuse is the direct result of child abuse, there is almost a one to one correspondence. Others have echoed the same thing, its more or less a consensus, but Peterson, being a practicing clinical psychiatrist and no stranger to the bottle himself has some real insight on this. I wish I had a link but I'm sure that if you search "Peterson Drug Abuse" or something on youtube you will find it.

Mustafa Kemal Added Mar 9, 2018 - 2:56pm
Pardero, I agree with everything you assert.  Indeed it is a disaster of epic proportions, with much more to come, including its burdening our already corrupt medical system.
My cinical side says that it is part of the social engineering that will be required to create a jobless UBI society, where they will use drugs to replace their natural impulses to want create or be  productive member of a society.

There is nothing "natural" about this selection, much the same as there is nothing natural in who is successful financially and who is not, in the US today.
With income inequality at record highs and accelerrating as we speak, with MIC raiding the treasury and the Fed stealing from us and delivering to the .001, the pharmaceutical companies are indeed preying  on us as the others, per Burghal bey’s primary assertion.

Moreover, as I see it on the ground in the towns of Chimayo and Espanola NM, a world where there appears to be a future other than abject poverty would go a long way towards resolution.  I know many of these people, they are my neighbors. I look at them and many of them I know will never make it to 40. They have many flaws, but I dont think they “deserve” this. We are kind to each other, but we are very careful to keep an eye on them.
Going to Walmart is downright dangerous. You take a parking spot  out where there are few cars and a car with broken windows, tailights with a donut for a wheel pulls up 4 inches from your car with glazed, nothing to lose looks and a trail of blue smoke. No future, nothing to lose.

As for regulation,  the law keeps this old man on a 1 week short leash for blood pressure meds. They cost 10$ per month  but they treat me like Im going to get high or sell them for profit.  They just called back and cant refill because, according to their records, I have 8 days supply left.

Mustafa
Pardero Added Mar 9, 2018 - 3:05pm
Dave,
You are right about the unhealthy society. I hadn't considered the drugs as a type of religion and that is mighty thought provoking.
Let us hope that we can avoid most parallels to the Chinese experience and alter course.
The way you are looking at it, we could consider the whole celebrity thing as a celebrity religion.
For a fellow that professes to have no religion, you seem to have the same serenity and well developed values and mores of those that do. Perhaps we have retained the values that we learned from our families and previous religious instruction more than we are aware of consciously.
Pardero Added Mar 9, 2018 - 3:26pm
Doug Plumb,
Thanks for stopping by and offering your learned opinions.
I am not a bleeding heart liberal but was shocked by some hideous and cruel comments on another blog. I felt driven into taking a 'side' that some of my ideology is not entirely comfortable with. I believe child abuse can cause a whole host of issues. Some families and cultures also seem to have a predeliction for alcohol abuse.
I lost an alcoholic brother to suicide. He had beaten his addiction for many years, but he fell off the wagon and ended his life only weeks later. He was a fine brother and just happened to be the conspiracy theorist of the family. I want you to know that a good watch dog that occasionally barks at the moon or a distant undetectable intruder is never a problem. The assurance, that the good watch dog provides against actual intruders, is ample recompense.
I am on call and find that a few comments is a good way to pass the time but will try to take a look ar Peterson if it isn't too heavy.
Pardero Added Mar 9, 2018 - 3:40pm
Mustafa,
Thanks so much for understanding my emotional outburst. You are seeing exactly what I am seeing. I am very grateful to hear your ideas.
I could not believe my eyes at the hateful comments on another blog. I recognized some of the commenters from here! They had a hate filled echo chamber going and dissent was getting slammed with down arrows.
You realize that we are all too human and I will write my mother's words again,"There; but for the grace of God, go I."
Doug Plumb Added Mar 9, 2018 - 3:45pm
Thanks Pardero, you're not bad yourself.
Peterson is very good, you will enjoy listening to him and he has a huge following. There are other very good Youtube videos about all of this - abuse - substance abuse - chil;dhood trauma. Stephan Molyneux has a series "Bomb In The Brain"
This whole social Darwinism has become much more prevalent than I think many people realize. For some strange reason I have met some very important people, some of them are very sick with this arrogance.
Trump eludes to this is a speech the other day regarding the second amendment and the "bad bad things" the Left is doing to overturn it. The Left are primarily social Darwinists and champaign socialists - people that could make you sick. He says it several times "bad bad things", he says it again "bad bad things". He knows the monster we stand against. He has to dance with the devil to keep his seat in the arena. Its that monster that is behind this addiction agenda.
Pardero Added Mar 9, 2018 - 3:55pm
Mustafa,
They do the same thing with my thyroid pills. They keep me on a chronic low dose and I gain weight and am sluggish. Eventually, they raise it back up to the normal dose until a new test indicates the next lower increment, again. I feel really good just before it gets lowered. They are just playing it safe. Too bad they helped create the market for opioids by handing them out for every little ache or pain.
As if a crook could find a ready market for something with no recreational value.
The feeble attempts to do something about the opioid crisis is only making it more difficult for those with agonizing pain.
Thanks again for your observations that show that mine are not off the mark. Sometimes I wish that I was one of those tough guys that could turn a callous eye to the misery or fail to notice it in the first place.
Mustafa Kemal Added Mar 9, 2018 - 4:14pm
Pardero bey,
If I understand the blog you speak, I saw the same thing over there
regarding the dramatic increase in "rent for sex" that is surging.

Very little compassion with faux Darwinian mean spirited positions.

Pardero Added Mar 9, 2018 - 4:15pm
Doug,
As the Burghal Hidage might say, the laws of probability would allow the possibility that a group could be working against the interests of society. Whether or not that is the case or only human weakness, my peers and their children are paying the price for this scourge. None of us are likely to rub elbows with those that benefit, but if there are losers, it would follow that there are winners.
George N Romey Added Mar 9, 2018 - 4:17pm
Economic pain, loneliness that comes from technology, psychopaths abound, online cruelty, profits over people, lost leaders, big Pharma playing Dracula-what could go wrong?
Pardero Added Mar 9, 2018 - 4:48pm
George,
To answer that rhetorical question, a lot.
Sometimes, I think that a collapse of civilization is the only thing that can save civilization. But if it looks like this, I am changing my mind.
TexasLynn Added Mar 9, 2018 - 5:16pm
Really good post!  Joining the thread late.

It seems to be that this problem is multi-faceted.  There is the current drug abuse vs stopping future drug abuse.  Then there is the prescribed vs the manufactured.

I really liked FJ's comments on the prescribed side of the equation.  I have been lucky in that I (nor my loved ones) suffer from chronic pain.  The closest I've come is kidney stones which I can attest are very painful for about 24 hours in my case.  I know when I've had them, I would pay any amount of money for relief (legal or illegal).  I can't imagine what people who experience this on a regular basis go through.  No solution should deprive such individuals of relief (even and especially narcotic relief).

That said, I will address the non-prescription side of the equation, because it is what I am most familiar with.  I have seen a bit of this in my neck of the woods.  I personally know a few people who have fallen victim to illegal meth... rather than prescription opioids.  I assume the affects and consequences are generally the same.

It's a terrible thing to see how it affects families and children.  We're well into the phase of this affecting America... we'll be moving into the long-term effects soon.

I'm going to give the one example here I've seen repeatedly ...

Example: Mother and father on drugs.  Likely neither work.  They turn government benefits into cash (pennies on the dollar) to buy drugs.  If given the choice between the drugs and feeding their kids... the kids go hungry.  Usually they will go to parents and grandparents when the money is gone as ask for help to feed the kids.  If the parents/grandparents are wise enough, they give them food.  If they're not, they give them money for food... which goes to drugs instead.  Eventually the parents/grandparents learn that.  If many cases the parents/grandparents go to court and take the kids away.  It's the best thing for the kids, but it tears the families apart.  The loss of the kids severely cuts into the assistance from the government and thus the cash for drugs.

I don't know what the solution is... but I do know if any form of assistance offered can be converted to cash, it won't work.

I also know that a lot of the people are not employable as they are now.  If they don't get off the drugs, they never will be.

That said, I do know of a couple who have gotten off the drugs and hold down jobs.  It can be done.

To begin with we must break the cycle... and you touched on that.  Give the next generation something worth living for and the knowledge not to try this crap; not even once.  This is going to be hard to do.  I pray for my own kids every day.

So, training and jobs are good to stop the cycle. But jobs will only help those currently addicted who want to help themselves and I think that is a small percentage.  (This does not mean don't do it... just have realistic expectations).  The largest employer in our county can't find enough employees who can pass a drug test on a regular basis... not to mention how this affects people just showing up to work in the first place.

I too reject the premise that anyone should die are be discarded, no matter their mistakes (short of murder).  Humanity demands we sympathize, love, and help... but really help... not blindly do something to ease our consciences and move on.

Matthew 25:35-40

Doug Plumb Added Mar 9, 2018 - 5:33pm
re "Trump can be a buffoon and is an easy target because of his mouth and his history. I also believe that he has a value system at his core. With all his faults, he is also one that will not tolerate depravity and the harming of innocents."
He is a bit of a buffoon, but I think he is doing well and he means well. Obviously he knows something is up with these school shootings.

re "None of us are likely to rub elbows with those that benefit, but if there are losers, it would follow that there are winners. "
I think that if you are a winner, you live in a castle and you hang cages from your ceiling with children in them so you can watch them starve (Rothschilds - TV newscast in 80's - newsman lost his job, story forgotten)- that you are not really a winner and living in some kind of hell, a hell without boundaries. Peterson talks about boundaries too. These people do not have any kind of boundary, they have what they want when they want it. In the movie The Hostel, one of the tortureres explains to his victim (paraphrased) "Once you have been everywhere, seen everything and met everyone, what else is there?" I think that is as good of an explanation as anything at the root level for what we see.
Pardero Added Mar 9, 2018 - 5:46pm
Lynn,
Thank you for that sensible advise and great effort. Using your insights, I have some basic ideas that better minds could improve upon.
Ok, we save some by having decent jobs available and earn an adequate living if they clean up.
We will need strict boot camp campuses with contracts of defined length, for those that wish to clean up but believe they are too weak to do it alone. Room and board but no cash. Just a savings account that can be accessed on completion.
Let's get all cash out of government assistance. Provide any non-food assistance in a form that has the least possible value in the black market. Provide commodity food only in labeled containers.
Let's make a genuine effort to interdict drugs at the border. Leverage China into assisting in cracking down on labs and exporters. Sessions needs to be directed to put all his energies into synthetic opioid control. Less harmful drugs would be low priority until the problem is much reduced.
Education programs have helped in the past. We need to turn it way up.
We need a support system that gets these people into the boot camps of their own free will. They get a full second chance as soon as they graduate.
Flying Junior Added Mar 9, 2018 - 8:59pm
As recently as five years ago, I was working at a SNF operated by the prestigious Southern California Presbyterian Homes, now calling itself the be.group.  They had an incredible employee training course.  Everything from workplace discrimination and sexual harassment to the safest methods of pain management were taught by experts or computer classes.

The four methods of pain management discussed included medications such as ibuprofen, acetaminophen and of course, opiates.  I can't remember the non-drug approaches.  Acetaminophen is very dangerous in long-term use to the liver.  Ibuprofen can cause stomach bleeding and even stroke risk.  At the end of the class we had to take a short test.  One question was which medications were the safest for long-term maintenance of health and well-being.  Several nurses and CNAs guess the NSAIDS or acetaminophen.  They were cautioned against the dangers of narcotics addiction.  But they were wrong.  At least for patients in Long-Term-Care, the safest and most effective medications for long-term health, maintenance and pain management turned out to be narcotics.
Pardero Added Mar 9, 2018 - 9:37pm
Flying Bill,
Thank you very much for dropping by. That is definitely some surprising information. I was aware of some of those health risks but maybe not the extent and severity and that narcotics are safer. If only the narcotics, or opiates, were not so addictive.
I recall the problems Russia had with Crocodile? after heroin became scarce. Just as marijuana was safer than spice(not necessarily the synthetic cannabinoids but the dangerous adulteration and bizarre additives), perhaps the law needs to concentrate on synthetic poisons.
Flying Bill, I have known people in agonizing pain. Pain so bad that they would wish for death without narcotics that allowed a relatively normal life. I would never ever advocate a ban or restrictions that made their medication inconvenient to obtain.
I think we need to choose our battles and go after the illegal imported substances. I do not say this to annoy you but just as some bad actors with firearms should not cause unnecessary restrictions to law-abiding citizens, some irresponsible people should not be the cause of needless pain and misery of those that responsibly use pain reducing drugs.

Leroy Added Mar 9, 2018 - 10:35pm
My heart goes out to those families who have suffered a loss due to an opioid overdose.

I'm not well-read on Darwinism.  But, the survival of the fittest depends heavily on the circumstances.  For instance, people who efficiently store food (fat) in the body are the ones who are more likely to survive a famine.  In a land of plenty, the same person might be morbidly obese and suffer an untimely death.  By the same token, some people may be more prone to addiction.  In some circumstances, perhaps it is an advantage.

In any case, Darwin has been defeated, at least in the medium term.  It is no longer about the survival of the fittest.  The most unfit can survive and propagate the species.   I will go further and say that Malthus and his war, famine, pestilence, and disease to regulate the human race has have been defeated, again in the medium term.    Ultimately, both will be proved correct.  We see the need to cull the heard in the animal kingdom, but fail to see the same need in the human race.

They say that some of these drugs are so powerful that a single gain could kill you.  It certainly isn't about the survival of the fittest.  It's like being able to survive a bullet to the brain.  It has nothing to do with being fit.

Like you, Pardero, I avoid taking opioids.  I laid in a crappy bed in a storage room in a foreign country for two and a half days with broken bones with no immobilization.  I was offered opioids.  I refused.  You can become addicted if you don't take them.  I was forced to take some before being strung below the overhead bins on a commercial flight.  It probably helped in the hour and a quarter I spent in -18C weather with no shoes and a light blanket.  By the time they strapped me down to the hard surface, I was begging for more.  I was grateful to have it.  Doctors just want to make the problem disappear.  A pill is the easiest way.  It can't be much profit in it.  The last prescription cost $4 for a thirty day supply.  It's interesting that a recent study suggested that opioids are no better than over the counter pain relievers and patients generally have a better outcome.  Perhaps this crisis was completely avoidable.

Katharine Otto Added Mar 9, 2018 - 11:20pm
Pardero,
Opiates have been around for thousands of years, most of that time without legal or prescriptive restrictions.  Why is it a crisis now?  Could it be that we live in a sicko society that looks to pills to scratch every itch?   We are inventing new forms of suffering every day, with oh-golly-gee just the right patented pills to alleviate (but not cure) them.  I read today that there's a new psychiatric disorder, not yet included in the DSM, but we have treatments for Internet Addiction Disorder, including pharmacological treatments.

The FDA-approved protocol for "opioid use disorder" consists of four medications, two of which are opioids.  Nowhere in the officially sanctioned list of treatments do they mention Narcotics Anonymous, which is free and has a better track record than all the medically and government promoted "programs."

Let's just take the government and the doctors out of the equation, why don't we, and see where we stand.  Doctors get blamed, no matter what they do, and the DEA is quicker to pounce on doctors than addicts.  Richard Nixon started the War on Drugs and the DEA.  Both have been very expensive failures, according to me.

I believe drug laws in all their forms are major human rights violations.  There's nothing about drugs in the US constitution, for one thing, and adults should be allowed to ingest any poison they choose, including (yuck) McDonalds' hamburgers.

FJ, And, by the way, cannabis is supposed to alleviate pain, too.  Also, my information is that opioids are not good for chronic pain.  They are best for acute pain.  While NSAIDs have side effects, so do all medications, including opioids.
Pardero Added Mar 9, 2018 - 11:29pm
Leroy,
I am glad to read your detailed thoughts. I appreciate that you have some empathy for all those affected.
You are better read than I am. Some of my memes are culled from blogs. The 'Darwin awards' thing and so on. That was the thing in the thread that upset me. The callous disregard.
I am sometimes frustrated that the fittest have provided the means for their eventual virtual extinction. We will be lucky to do as well as the Aryans fared in India. I stole a coined term from another forum 'suicidal altruism.'
What other tribe passes laws that favor outsiders over their brothers? What other tribe passes laws against in group behavior that has worked for millenia? All other tribes are allowed to continue 'in group' practices. Already somewhat more solitary and less gregarious, that is a severe handicap.
Perhaps the last hope to preserve civilization, will be the other 4th ice age survivors, the northeast Asians. I am distantly related to that tribe by a circuitous route via Hungary.
There is a consensus of sorts on a 'blog' that I frequent. Your uncommonly lucid and rational thoughts would be mainstream. I have no differences with a single one of your premises. It is only a matter of time before this forum moves right. I already see ugly remarks. I hope this doesn't turn into a fight club, too. Then I will be forced to defend my 'emotional and socialist' arguments.
Pardero Added Mar 9, 2018 - 11:58pm
Leroy,
You were really busted up! I have never really faced a life threatening injury.
I think this time is different. These people were, or were capable, of being productive citizens. Many are our peers. There are so many kids being raised by their grandparents in this little town because of meth. This is worse and it hasn't peaked. It seems to be worst in the rust belt. Opioids don't damage the brain like meth. I think we can save a lot of them. I think we must make the effort, and it will take a massive effort.
Leroy Added Mar 10, 2018 - 12:06am
Pardero, the man-woman relationship has worked well over the millennia.  Now men are accused of toxic masculinity for being men.  According to the progressive liberals, we've always been thugs and criminals.  Go figure how we ever survived.

I had to prove paternity to the US government.  I used the DNA results to determine where I came from.  Curiously, my largest content was East Asian.  I don't put a lot of stock in the results, but it is curious.
William Stockton Added Mar 10, 2018 - 12:09am
Pardero:  We have lost 'the war on drugs'. We need to try something else.

How about just stop being an hyper-empathetic dweeb in a super-hero costume who thinks he can save people from themselves.
To say drugs are the problem and people are the victims is wholly insane.  There are some victims of drugs . . . very, very few.
Pardero Added Mar 10, 2018 - 12:30am
Katharine Otto,
Thank you so much for dropping in!
Very well stated. I am not entirely opposed to additional legalization of drugs. I am torn on the issue. Personally, I have no use for recreational drugs or alcohol. I do have libertarian tendencies. I have signed every petition to legalize marijuana since I was old enough to do so.
It will take quite an effort to get society ready for such a change. I would go for legalized heroin tomorrow if we could stop the dangerous stuff.
I have a problem with legalizing meth because of the permanent damage it does. The trouble is, somebody else will have to pick up the pieces from abuse. We don't get to say 'do what you want but you are on your own'. They will be our wards and the damage they cause will be our problem.
Back when I watched television, I
watched dozens of glue sniffers going about their business. Their minds were gone. They spread disease and were victimized by depraved predators.
If we legalize all drugs, we must be prepared for millions of deaths and destroyed lives until it sorts itself out. We must be prepared for the crime wave and disease. We must be prepared for the squalor of a Dickensian London. I might be able to support legalization of heroin and cocaine under controlled circumstances. I don't believe society is ready for it. The abuse of quasi-legal  opiates shows that society is not ready. Maybe every writer here is ready but we are far from the whole of society.
Mark Hunter Added Mar 10, 2018 - 1:55am
I still have some opioids around the house from my sinus surgery two years ago, despite the ongoing back pain problems I've had since then. Knowing I tend to have an addictive personality, I got off of them as fast as I could, and never started taking them again--for whatever reason, that worked for me.
But I think you're right that we need something along the lines of a new Civilian Conservation Corps: Projects that will put people to work on something that's actually productive, giving them jobs and a purpose. It wouldn't help everyone ... but then, nothing would help everyone.
Pardero Added Mar 10, 2018 - 1:59am
William Stockton,
Welcome to my little sob sister chocolate heart article!
I have been expecting you. I knew I was getting off easy. Friendly crowd. They are a good bunch.
1. The strength of these drugs is unprecedented. We have no natural instinct to avoid this invisible and silent killer. In time, we could become acculturated to this new hazard.
2. We are dealing with a class of drugs that is doctor approved and government approved. Must be safe. Some recreational use shouldn't be a problem. Something that takes away the pain and makes life bearable couldn't be too dangerous.
3.We have a fake economy that has been hollowed out. In many ways, it is worse than the Great Depression. The true nature is hidden by the welfare state. You can work your ass off at a crummy job and live in a disreputable flophouse because child support leaves you with 600 and change a month. At least they spray regularly for the cockroaches. You hurt from an injury but you can't afford to get it treated. You take a second part time job because you are hungry. Your ex-wife lives out of state but you can't afford the gas to see your kids. You met a nice pretty lady that wants you to shack up with her but you can't because child support would count her income and you would be in a deficit. You would need a third job to live with her but there aren't enough hours in the day. Besides, child support would raise your support anyway. You start a little lawnmower repair sideline and are able to replace some worn out clothes. You manage to keep your old pickup running. Your relatives rarely visit probably because it depresses them. You splurge and put some normal food in the fridge before the rare visits so they don't worry you are starving. You attend the men's breakfast at the Baptist Church every Saturday. It is the only decent meal that you get once a week. You are getting a toothache and wonder if you can afford to get it jerked out. Might have to pull it yourself. You are tempted to work construction again but the pain won't let you last very long. You can't stand the pain from the injury anymore but a guy you know has some painkillers. Your pain and your life is bearable when you take them. You start taking a larger dose. You don't worry about the danger of dying. There are worse ways to go. It has already crossed your mind, anyway. You have failed. Your marriage failed, you are a failure as a father, you are a failure to your family, your ancestors, and your country. The only way to escape for awhile is those painkillers.

Flying Junior Added Mar 10, 2018 - 2:09am
Katharine,

My inservice at the SNF oddly did not discuss medical marijuana although it was technically legal at the time. I have no problem with the medicinal use of marijuana. You are quite correct in bringing it up. Eighty years ago it was considered a narcotic. I am more familiar with the use of marijuana to relieve the extreme symptoms associated with the harsher chemotherapies for cancer in the late 1970s and early 1980s. It was a godsend for patients suffering from AIDS, in particular for its healthy appetite stimulating properties.

We actually pioneered medical marijuana in La Jolla starting about 1978 or 1979. Favorite local son and surfing legend Chris O'Rourke had been diagnosed with brain cancer in about 1977. He was only eighteen years old. If you know about physical risks inherent in the earlier treatments for cancer in this era, you know that side effects and symptoms of radiation poisoning were often seriously debilitating or at the very least agonizing and extremely difficult to suffer.

Chris was undergoing radiation therapy for an aggressive form of brain cancer. It did not take long for him to lose his hair. And, of course, he didn't have the healthy appetite that used to fuel his battles with Neptune from Windansea to Black's Beach. His surfing actually took him further than that. He had won some championships and was looking into a career as a professional surfer. He had everything that it took to do just that. The last time I talked to anyone about Chris at Windansea, about 1980 or so, they told me that Chris was smoking about an ounce of Thai weed every week. It was easy to obtain in those heady days. This allowed him to have an appetite and greatly alleviated his pain and suffering from his many cancer therapies. Of course, Cannabis Indica from Thailand was opiated in those days, so that also reduced his pain. But it was the cannabis that relieved his symptoms. Thai sticks were about the juiciest and most potent marijuana available in California at that time. They usually came with one or two seeds. You can guess the rest of the story. Starting about 1976, California and Oregon were growing Sin Semilla to match the finest cannabis in the world.

Sometimes I wish it wasn't legal now. I can't stand to see people destroy their lives with ever stronger strains of cannabis, hashish, hash oil and wax. Like everything else that Western Society touches, it takes a good thing and makes a poison out of it.
Pardero Added Mar 10, 2018 - 2:25am
Mark Hunter,
I am honored to be among a group of thoughtful and illustrious writers. I appreciate your thoughts very much. Although you a smart successful guy who is cautious and prudent, you understand that some fall short.
My maternal Grand Dad learned to operate heavy equipment with the CCC. Done properly, it could be a smashing success. It would have to be solely merit based, color blind, and gender blind. No agendas except for getting people trained and working. Director and staff chosen for ability not plumbing or color. Or it could be a PC lib/prog money pit and a total disaster that any reasonable person would oppose. The lib/progs ruin everything that they touch with their agendas. If they could just be rational and reasonable, people might flock to them.
Pardero Added Mar 10, 2018 - 2:29am
Flying Bill,
That is interesting. I wasn't aware that there are dangerously strong strains of cannibis. I will have to look that up and read about it.
Mark Hunter Added Mar 10, 2018 - 2:38am
Well, some people would argue about the smart part, and I'm not so sure about the successful, but I'm working on it!

I've long argued that "rational and reasonable" is what's missing most in today's society, so a new CCC is likely to be a disaster.
Pardero Added Mar 10, 2018 - 2:46am
Leroy,
Sorry belated.
I may get dispatched and be belated by 14 hours pretty quick.
Wow, that is curious! I'd be tempted to try another test to confirm if you don't look it at all.
I did meet a Japanese-American lady who looked European except for jet black hair. You have siblings to compare to. If the siblings show no Northeast Asian, I would doubt the test.
Wayne McMichael Added Mar 10, 2018 - 6:14am
Opioids are not the problem, addiction is, and then in only a tiny percentage of people. Pain is the issue. You can not honestly understand this issue unless you have lived with chronic pain. It must be natural to try to control things when you feel out of control, sometimes things that make no difference at all... except in our head. Like the outrage over video games after the school shooting. People grope for "thing" to do, "things" to control, because it is an illusion that they are actually doing something about it, whatever "it" is:)...
The Burghal Hidage Added Mar 10, 2018 - 6:50am
reading the thread there appears to still be some misunderstanding as to what I said in my initial comment. Some seem to interpret this as my suggestion that the pharma-insurance-state complex is the cause of the opioid epidemic. It is, but only in part.

lets be clear on what we are talking about here. Prescription opioids are still an issue, but I submit that we have largely passed the epidemic stage of this. The epidemic now rages with heroin. I have written on this topic before, at least twice in the past year if not more, and in that time I see little has changed. The cynic in me says that this should probably get worse before it gets better. I wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

It seems some may have the impression that I may have suggested that this whole mess originates within some sinister conspiracy to inflict a scourge upon the innocent. Allow me to correct this. The players within the aforementioned triad are not scheming demons plotting the chemical enslavement of the masses. That, frankly, would require more imagination than I suspect most of their party actually possess. Their motive is profit, plain and simple. No thought or concern given to the ramifications of their actions as long as they can keep the rules of the market fixed to their advantage. You might say that they have become victims of their own success, because they have unwittingly opened up a whole new market of drug abusers. People who previously never would have been a mark are now fair game. They've been given a taste. And now that a competing arm of government is engaged in actions which disrupt supply and pricing of the commodity a competitor has moved in to fill the vacuum.
The Burghal Hidage Added Mar 10, 2018 - 6:52am
So, time will tell, but I'd be willing to wager that any substantive action (if any) will be targeted more at protecting the triad than at actually solving a problem.
George N Romey Added Mar 10, 2018 - 7:56am
Pardero your description of what is happening to particularly young, mid age and older men is right on target, recounted perfectly. The mostly older men are in psychological, emotional and physical pain beyond most imaginations. The drugs blot out the pain and most are indifferent about their lives. After all they feel their best days are well behind them.

As long as we keep accepting the government lies with respect to the economy and job market people will continue to die.
Thomas Sutrina Added Mar 10, 2018 - 8:42am
To many comments to read since this is the first time I have looked at this post.

Who gained from ObamaCare?  Who help write the bill?  THE SWAMP, AND IN PARTICULAR THE MEDICAL, INSURANCE, AND PHARMACEUTICAL  INDUSTRIES.   Who started to educate doctors about pain management and that drugs could reduce pain.  And who promoted patient to complain about pain.  And who promoted the sales of pain drugs.  We know that answer the companies that would profit the most, pharmaceutical industry.

What to solve the drug problem that make it illegal for a company or lobbying group to donate to campaigns.  And make it illegal for packs or unions to pool dues to donate to campaigns.   The only way money can be given to a campaign is from an individual.  They can us a pack or union to act as a bank for building up money to be donated but each individual drafts a check.

Make congressmen subject to all laws as the citizens are required to follow thus congressmen can be charged with conflict of interest and Quid Pro Quo.

The cost of treating patents will out way the money put into the campaign coffers to ignore the problem.

The Burghal Hidage Added Mar 10, 2018 - 8:48am
That all makes good sense to me Tom
George N Romey Added Mar 10, 2018 - 8:50am
How about publicity financed elections so the rich can’t buy politicians. Limit funding so that this near 2 year election cycle gets reduced to 6 months-where it belongs.
The Burghal Hidage Added Mar 10, 2018 - 9:02am
With the technology we have available? Why do campaigns need to be financed at all?
Pardero Added Mar 10, 2018 - 10:10am
Wayne,
Thank you for taking the time to comment. There is a lot of oain out there.
Pardero Added Mar 10, 2018 - 10:12am
Mark,
We agree. On the other hand, it is better than destroying foreign countries. Perhaps we should try, anyway.
Pardero Added Mar 10, 2018 - 10:19am
The Burghal Hidage,
I value your thoughts highly. I also believe that it will get worse before it gets better.
Pardero Added Mar 10, 2018 - 10:23am
George,
I wasn't entirely comfortable submitting this little article. I thought that a compassionate conservative like George would would support me, if no one else.
Pardero Added Mar 10, 2018 - 10:29am
Thomas Sutrina,
George Romey,
The Burghal Hidage,
You are spot on. We are of one mind on the obscene amounts of money in politics. That money is counter to the interests of society and the American people. I have advocated for publicly funded elections my entire adult life.
George N Romey Added Mar 10, 2018 - 10:32am
Padero only the alternative media has discussed this widespread problem. The MSM cares not. Too much Russia on their minds.
The Burghal Hidage Added Mar 10, 2018 - 10:41am
Hell George! MSM is part of the orgy! half the time I think its their own house party!
The Burghal Hidage Added Mar 10, 2018 - 10:42am
And thanks Pard. Think I know what today's post will be. Going gonzo again :)
Pardero Added Mar 10, 2018 - 10:48am
George N. Romey,
Thank goodness for the alt media!
Pardero Added Mar 10, 2018 - 10:51am
The Burghal Hidage,
Excellent!
"I got the pistols so I'll keep the pesos and that sounds fair to me"
The Refreshments if I recall
Jeff Michka Added Mar 10, 2018 - 12:51pm
Seems sooner or later, like it or not, things always go back to money in the political process...what makes anyone thing spending $250,000 on a city council seat in a township of 15,000 people a good idea?  As to other matters, including gun control, the NRA spend its money on shoring up political races, and the electeds that get their money are beholding to them for every dime, without it, horrors!! The electeds will get "primaried" and outspent.
Pardero Added Mar 10, 2018 - 12:56pm
Jeff,
I don't dispute that. I think we agree that money has corrupted our Republic. The power needs to be returned to the people.
William Stockton Added Mar 10, 2018 - 4:17pm
Ya Pardero.  You are missing a history lesson here somewhere.
The Great Prohibition didn't create fewer alcoholics, it just created more criminals (yes this is hyperbolic).  People still drank nearly the same amount of alcohol . . .

Scholars estimate that consumption dropped to a low of about 60% of pre-prohibition levels around 1925, rising to almost 80% before the law was officially repealed.  After the prohibition was implemented, alcohol continued to be consumed. However, how much compared to pre-Prohibition levels remains unclear. Studies examining the rates of cirrhosis deaths as a proxy for alcohol consumption estimated a decrease in consumption of 10–20%.[113][114][115] However, the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism's studies show clear epidemiological evidence that "overall cirrhosis mortality rates declined precipitously with the introduction of Prohibition," despite widespread flouting of the law.[116] One study reviewing city-level drunkenness arrests concluded that prohibition had an immediate effect, but no long term effect.[117] And, yet another study examining "mortality, mental health and crime statistics" found that alcohol consumption fell, at first, to approximately 30 percent of its pre-Prohibition level; but, over the next several years, increased to about 60–70 percent of its pre-prohibition level.

My point is that people can find one-hundred ways of killing themselves regardless if it is illegal or not.  Drug-abuse prevention only has one answer:  education.
Education is limited as the vast majority of drug abusers clearly understand the danger and risks.  You can look up those studies yourself.
So, take off your superman cape.  You are not going to fix stupid without becoming a controlling, empathy-whore like the political left who desperately need to salvage stupid in order to retain voters.
Pardero Added Mar 10, 2018 - 5:35pm
William Stockton,
Thank you for that scholarly and rational critique.
I underestimated you.
I have zero education in logic and debate but I will try to defend my position.
We are not as far apart on ideology as this little article suggests. Why do I leap far from my comfort zone? Because it hits close to home.
Although I do not advocate blanket bans on anything, I get your point. I can support some reduction in drug laws. I cannot support decriminalization of meth and similar.
As much as I would like to agree with you, we are part of a larger society that must be considered.
"No Man is an Island"
In theory, you are 100% correct. Usually, the left is in fantasyland. I do not believe that the libertarians are based in reality. One need only look a couple decades past Prohibition to see the destruction of a society, and nearly a civilization, in China. It is easy to stick to ideological rules until life intervenes.
I don't know a single person who is prepared to face the crime, squalor, and societal mayhem from 'doing the right thing." I once violated my personal creed by accepting some small charity from a fellow citizen. We will face the fallout, which will be worse, if we don't make an effort to mitigate it.
We must be pragmatic. We must minimize our losses. Damage control. I know very few people who would allow this to run its course. The few that believed in total liberty to do drugs, would faint when they saw the result of their pure ideology.
The high IQ cooperative societies created great civilizations. Neanderthals are proven to have treated serious injuries that put a clan member back into a hunting party. The same cooperation that fostered our great civilization, should be discarded to perfectly adhere to an ideology? Are we more barbaric than a caveman in order to follow the libertarian rules?
How do you justify importing an 80 IQ alien that will bleed the system, while turning a callous eye to a former productive worker from your own tribe?
I get it that the addicts are weaklings and losers and 'the herd needs culling.' They are my fellow citizens and I just don't have the belly to accept the survival of the fittest mindset. In theory, maybe, not in reality.
On another pragmatic note, many of them are Trump friendly and the swing states are particularly affected. Those states changed traditional loyalties because they were desperate for a little help.
I agree that education is the  foundation. I want to go further, not to increase the welfare state, that I despise, but to throw them a lifeline.
I knew a long time ago that I could not carry the weight of the world on my scrawny shoulders. What would appear to be typical virtue signalling, is not. I am merely calling out, to the tribe, that we have some fellows in trouble.
William Stockton Added Mar 10, 2018 - 7:25pm
Pardero, you are still looking at this opioid problem like it is brand new to the human race.  Again, look at history.

Particularly the 17th & 18th century Native American population which had 5 times alcohol-related mortality rates as European Americans . . . coincided with native Americans first being introduced to distilled spirits (highly concentrated drinks).  Prior to this time, native Americans had their own alcoholic drinks but were not in high concentrations of alcohol.  Native Americans had not invented a distillation process yet . . . much less the wheel.

The reasons why native Americans were more susceptible to these distilled drinks was due to a number of factors that are quite similar to what we see today:

1)  Some DNA profiles are more susceptible to certain additive chemicals.  It takes time to for a population to acquire resistance to chemicals just as the Europeans did with distilled spirits before invading North America.
2)  Cultural resistance to drugs and alcohol requires time and experience.  The native Americans had almost zero cultural resistance to distilled spirits.  We see this today in our own culture as new, cheap, addictive drugs are being introduced every decade and we have no effective means (apart from home-schooling) to prevent kids from being exposed.
Hell, even doctors are way behind the curve as well.  Only in recent time have doctors scaled back pain-prescriptions to kids because of the dangers.  Only recently!

Fighting the drug war with empathy is a loser's game.  If you want to get ahead of the fight against the problem, you need to look at three institutions in American society that promote flagrant drug use.  Changes to our DNA are further down the road . . . eventually.
1) Arts and entertainment industry
2) Medical industry
3) K12 government institutions

These are all liberal/progressive controlled industries that need to be turned upside down.  They are drug infested shit-holes promoting drug use to the most vulnerable.  These are the cultural changes that are needed to create a resistance to drug abuse.   Adding more laws is just stupid.

The question is:  how much do you really care about fixing this problem?  Most Americans really don't give a shit if it means giving up their pop-culture, quick pain prescriptions, and government day-care.
Pardero Added Mar 10, 2018 - 7:43pm
William Stockton,
Well reasoned.
I could never have written it better. I might also add that big pharma is the single biggest lobbying group in Washington besides the MIC. I would add that to your list.
I agree with every single premise, except one.
I believe that we have a responsibility on the present crisis. Whether driven by empathy, pragmatism, or a coalition, I believe that we can save some lives and reduce the damage to our country. Your ideas will take time and the will to pursue them. We may have to deal with an acute crisis as we treat the chronic diseases.
Michael B. Added Mar 10, 2018 - 8:06pm
Interesting. It almost seems like the post attempts to bring up homeless people in addition to hopeless drug addicts, which is not surprising, as they are often one and the same. Over the years my attitude toward such people has hardened. While many of them are mentally ill and/or victims of incredibly bad luck, most of them at one point had family and friends that loved and cared about them, but they managed to alienate them one by one. I can say from immense personal experience that until someone genuinely wants to stop doing something, they're going to keep on doing it over and over and over again, consequences be damned.

Of course, many of these people have very fucked-up lives, which probably drove them to drug use in the first place. Stress, especially family and workplace stress is also a massive contributor to alcohol and drug abuse; at my last job, there was a point to where I was drinking myself into a stupor several times a week, and routinely smoked weed on my lunch breaks. New job, different culture, different everything, and now my drinking is limited mostly to weekends, and I no longer smoke pot during my lunch breaks, lol.

Regarding opioid painkillers, although overdoses and deaths grab the headlines, the onset of withdrawal symptoms is what keeps people addicted. For those who have never had the pleasure of going through the withdrawals, which I have, it goes something like this: Imagine every single craving for anything you've ever craved over amplified at least 100,000 times. Then, imagine having the flu, a cold, and malaria simultaneously after someone beat you up with a baseball bat, accompanied all along by near-suicidal depression. No thanks. It would take something extreme for me to go anywhere near opioids these days.
Pardero Added Mar 11, 2018 - 7:21am
Michael B.
Your first hand account is valuable information. I believe the hardened position is the norm. I have observed the alienation that you speak of. Those people lose their family and friends safety net. Your description of withdrawal is alarming and maybe any assistance should be aimed at that ordeal for maximum leverage over the problem.
I suppose that any assistance that society might offer could only be aimed at those who want to change. I would like to have capable care available for those that make that decision.

Leroy Added Mar 11, 2018 - 10:48am
Occasionally, intervention can help.  My brother-in-law got caught cheating on payroll taxes twice.  The second time, the IRS came down on him hard.  He lost everything but the house.  His business was wiped out.  Most importantly, he lost his share of the family farm that had been held for generations.  He became a fall down drunk.  No doubt he used some drugs.  His son was a sheriff's deputy at the time and knew the law pretty well.  He showed remarkable courage having his father arrested and forced into an onsite alcoholic recovery program.  When his father relapsed, he did it again.  Afterward, he never touched alcohol again.  He was able to recover his life with the help of my father, despite my father's hatred of him.  He held a bitter grudge against his son until the day he died.  He robbed my father blind.  But he recovered and made a life for himself.   He went on to work for the state government.  He was quite skilled in his profession.

Another man about town was said to be a brilliant entrepreneur.  His company went bankrupt and he went insane and became homeless.  He would run around town naked on occasion.   A high school classmate who ran a charity and gave him a house to live.  The SOB sold all the appliances to support his drug habit.  Some people you just can't help.
Michael B. Added Mar 11, 2018 - 11:01am
@ Pardero - It was especially fucked as they cut me off cold turkey. I think that if anyone has had to take narcotic painkillers for any length of time, there should be a better way to wean people off them, but the answer is usually more drugs. A vicious cycle, for sure.
Michael B. Added Mar 11, 2018 - 11:06am
Yes, alcoholism affects people at all levels. For example, so much for being "sober as a judge":

His honor was on a roll that year!
Pardero Added Mar 11, 2018 - 11:21am
Leroy,
Thanks for that.
I have seen many wind up in the state pen and some get on Social Security. Some seem to never exhaust their supply of enablers.
Of course, only people that want to change can be helped. I'd also like to enhance opportunities for those that want to change but lack the strength. Some sort of voluntary boot camp would be superior to the prison system. I knew someone who was unable to resist cocaine and joined the military. I have no idea if typical, but it worked.
If we must have a government meddling in free enterprise and picking winners and losers, let pharma be one of those losers.
I would like to see a real economy that provided a sharper contrast between a decent life from doing the right thing and those that get numb to escape their subsistence misery.
Michael B. Added Mar 11, 2018 - 11:28am
"I knew someone who was unable to resist cocaine and joined the military."

Pardero, you just hit on another crucial factor. As long as addicts are around the same people in the same area doing the same thing, relapse is almost a mathematical certainty. Simply removing a person from that environment doesn't mean they won't develop dope connections elsewhere, but like you mentioned about your acquaintance, it can be very helpful.
Pardero Added Mar 11, 2018 - 11:47am
Michael B.
Thanks for that.
That person is a great father and solid citizen, now. I am particularly grateful when a strong person is able to have some empathy for those that are a little weaker.
Pardero Added Mar 11, 2018 - 12:42pm
Now I gotta make some money. I will be incommunicado and will reply asap.
A. Jones Added Mar 11, 2018 - 8:22pm
Those dumb, fucking bastards are not only profitizing marijuana,

Marijuana has always been profitable (that's why people sell it). What Colorado did was to take the profit out of the black market for pot.

That's a pity. The state debt of Colorado in 2015 was about $17 billion; the state debt of California in the same year was over $1 trillion. If they were smart, they'd leverage pot cultivation as a way of helping to balance their budget.
Pardero Added Mar 12, 2018 - 1:49am
A. Jones,
Although I have no use for marijuana, personally, and my occupation does not allow it, we must let the people choose.
I was vilified on another blog for stating that a person prepared to defend himself or innocents must always be sober. A large group of cannabis activists got really ugly.
I attempted to make a case that society and the state can NEVER allow people to operate guns or vehicles when intoxicated. A marijuana user must lie on a form 4440 just to purchase a firearm.
I agree with William Stockton in theory. Drug use is just another sign of the decay in society. In the words of the Kinks, 'Give The People What They Want'.
You will essentially be the wards of those who toe the line. We will try to keep you safe while you 'fight for your right to party'.  If some get strung out and need help, we will try to pick up the pieces until you are ready to be an adult again.
Flying Junior Added Mar 12, 2018 - 3:54am
Mr. Jones,

If the State of California was $1000 Billion in debt for the fiscal year 2015, you gotta hand it to Governor Brown and the democrats for paying that down by $573 Billion in only two years.

Must be that 1/2 % sales tax we dumb Californians actually voted for ourselves.  I guess it really did pay off.

If we could get some honest Californians in power in Washington D.C., we could probably pay off the national debt in five or ten years!  Thank you so much for sharing that.

I question your source material.
Wayne McMichael Added Mar 12, 2018 - 9:07am
@William Stockton- "So, take off your superman cape.  You are not going to fix stupid without becoming a controlling, empathy-whore like the political left who desperately need to salvage stupid in order to retain voters." That's the best comment I've heard in a while:) The left's concept of nirvana is a safer prison:)
Pardero Added Mar 12, 2018 - 1:04pm
Wayne McMichael,
Some of us recognize that people are going to do stupid things. The article is more concerned with addressing the aftermath of people doing stupid things.
You can put your head in the sand or you can turn a callous eye. That is your choice. Unfortunately, neither of those choices reduces the damage to society.
I try not to deal in should-a-beens and could-a-beens.
My personal creed is damage control and minimizing losses.
If you choose to put your head in the sand, you are merely practicing your creed.
Stone-Eater Added Mar 12, 2018 - 3:57pm
There were drugs since man existed. But before, they were not taken to forget problems, but to get closer to a "god", or to get a collective high on music and being together (Africa).

Today it's not drugs which are the problem. It's our way of life. Change that, and drugs disappear to a good extent. Humans need empathy - but empathy doesn't sell good....
Pardero Added Mar 12, 2018 - 4:00pm
Stone-Eater Friedli,
Thank you for that. I couldn't agree more.
Stone-Eater Added Mar 12, 2018 - 4:18pm
Pardero

I only found that out myself since I'm involved in so-called "underdeveloped" countries like Mali and Senegal. But unfortunately the more the people there get lured into our way of life the more drugs are consumed.

We're really fucking up the rest of the world with our inhumane system.

Since then I realized that "developed" is a word whose definition is a purely Western definition - as is IQ and lots of others which are pretended to be "universal" but are simply used for profit of a certain "culture".
Pardero Added Mar 12, 2018 - 4:49pm
Stone-Eater Friedli,
Too bad our #1 export is our shallow celebrity and mass consumption culture.
Stone-Eater Added Mar 13, 2018 - 11:24am
Pardero

That will change. I hope that the spirit of 69 will return in a more realistic way but with the same goals....
Wayne McMichael Added Mar 13, 2018 - 11:30am
...I don't think the Amish will turn you guys away:)
Pardero Added Mar 13, 2018 - 1:19pm
Wayne McMichael,
I will take that as a back handed compliment.

I think the easy choice would be to be judgemental and let them die off for their sins.
My upbringing would have me in that camp. Life experience has changed that view.
If you are pleased with the current state of our cultural offerings, may you be fully content with your smug satisfaction.
ChristianRepublic Added Mar 13, 2018 - 6:53pm

There is no unconstitutional measure that would help the United States in any way, including this one.
Pardero Added Mar 13, 2018 - 7:24pm
ChristianRepublic,
I am unaware, of why it is more unConstitutional than myriad other agencies and programs.
Do you also see a problem with seemingly benign things like the Park Service or potentially malignant agencies such as the CIA?
Does your Constitutional purity also lead you to oppose undeclared wars, invasions, and interventions, and even standing armies, or do you only oppose those that invest in human capital?
I can think of a lot of rat holes, that we pour money down, that are not addressed in the Constitution.
We will soon have a new CIA director, a former CIA torture chamber operator.
I will stipulate that the CCC is not mentioned in the Constitution, though I do recall something about cruel and unusual punishment, fair trials, and the like.
ChristianRepublic Added Mar 13, 2018 - 7:34pm
Pard, I don't know what CCC is.

Certainly we have many unconstitutional agencies etc., we hardly need a new one. Why would you assume that I, having opposed an unconstitutional boondoggle, that I would be in favor of any unconstitutional programs, agencies, etc.?

The CIA has been neutered by Trump for the time being, but it is unreformable. It may not survive the year.

ChristianRepublic Added Mar 13, 2018 - 7:37pm
Oh ok, Civilian Conservation Corps.

When the Constitution was ratified, there were some gruesome punishments available for miscreants from the local justice systems around the nation. The Constitution applied originally only to the federal govt. Mission creep has made the states practically superfluous.

Fair trials? I'm all for them. Please tell us why you would imply that I'm not for fair trials? Odd.
Pardero Added Mar 13, 2018 - 7:58pm
ChristianRepublic,
Excuse me, I hadn't determined your angle, yet. It was in reference to CIA extraditions, torture, and no trials, fair or otherwise. It is a non sequiter if you are not on the war party train.
If you ideologically support the original Constitution, and oppose the CCC because it exceeds minimal necessary government, you have an honorable and noble stand. Perhaps, it should be done at the state level.
This issue hits close to home for me and I'd like for us, as a society, to address it better.
It is quite likely that we are not all that far apart ideologically.
Bill H. Added Mar 13, 2018 - 10:15pm
Pardero-
I actually believe that deep down, Trump does have a moral value system embedded in him. The problem is that even in his advanced age, he still lets his cock do his thinking for him.
TexasLynn Added Mar 13, 2018 - 10:57pm
Bill H >> We all know people in this predicament, but when you combine a cock for a brain and ultra narcissism, it doesn't make for a good combination.

This may or may not be true about Trump... but it was the perfect description of Bill Clinton.  Were you as critical of that President in those days?

Pardero Added Mar 13, 2018 - 11:45pm
Bill H.
I'll take that grudging near praise of Trump : )
Pardero Added Mar 13, 2018 - 11:47pm
TexasLynn,
As far as I can tell, Trump's women seem to have all been willing.
Wayne McMichael Added Mar 14, 2018 - 8:47am
If you dislike Trump it is strictly because of who you are... not him. He is doing historically excellent work.
TexasLynn Added Mar 14, 2018 - 1:34pm
As a person, I really don't like Trump.  A lot of it is his New York demeanor rubbing a southerner the wrong way.  I even have grave concerns about his character (and yes... it matters).

But the left thinks we (conservatives, Christians, etc.) are hypocrites for not abandoning him or voting for him in the first place.  My question back would be "And what the &(*^ should we have done instead?"... "In the 2016 race, who was a paragon of virtue and reason?"... "Clinton? Sanders? Stein? Johnson?... Morons and crooks (not necessarily in that order)."

Give me a better option and I would dump Trump in a second... but I won't hold my breath.  I'm sure the left would just love for us to rend and clothes and proclaim in anguish that we have no one of virtue to vote for... thus letting those who place no value in it (virtue) to run the whole show.

Given my dislike for Trump, I think it allows for a detached, reasoned, analysis of policy (separated from demeanor and character).  Conclusion... It's a hell of a lot better than the pussy we've had the previous eight years.
Wayne McMichael Added Mar 14, 2018 - 2:27pm
@TexasLynn What did he do that is so reprehensible to you? All I see is unsubstantiated accusations. For instance, his celebrities being able to grab pussies is absolutely true, and that has absolutely proven out lately:) He didn't say he grabbed pussy:) No Russia fruit... so it must strictly be a personality conflict:)
Pardero Added Mar 15, 2018 - 12:14am
TexasLynn,
Trumo was not my first choice. If he can avoid many more self inflicted wounds, he may accomplish some more good. He already saved the Constution with his SCOTUS choice.
Pardero Added Mar 15, 2018 - 12:19am
Wayne McMichael,
Trump has accomplished much. He needs to hear from us loudly when he gets off message or blunders. He must be immediately held accountable, if only by booing and hissing. We cannot merely shower him with adulation. He is very sensitive to the public mood. More so than any previously. We must hold his feet to the fire. Fanboys will only encourage him to excesses.
Bill H. Added Mar 16, 2018 - 12:31am
Yep - Clinton got my wrath, also. I gave him more credit than that.
I just think his cigar fetish got the best of him.
Pardero Added Mar 16, 2018 - 3:27am
Flying Junior,
Before I turn in, I will leave you with this:
He saved SCOTUS and the Constitution ; )
Jeff Michka Added Mar 18, 2018 - 7:45pm
Pardero remins: "No Man is an Island""No Man is an Ireland, either." well....then there's Wayne Mc:No Russia fruit... so it must strictly be a personality conflict:)- YEAH, THAT'S IT!!! How could anyone be hard on Trump for not giving Russia a free pass...I suspect, now the investigations are looking into Trump's business stuff, we'll find a bunch of Russian mob luminaries at the bottom of Trump's bank accounts.  If the Russian mob (in Russia) didn't fully back vlad, he'd not be their "president."
Jeff Michka Added Mar 18, 2018 - 7:48pm
Pard also notes: We cannot merely shower him with adulation.-That's all Trump wants, and he'd dismiss any "Trump supporter" for not supplying constant adulation. "Get them out! Lock them up!!"
Pardero Added Mar 18, 2018 - 8:05pm
Jeff Michka,
I won't dispute that Trump is the ultimate 'political lover' type personality. I don't think Russia gate will amount to much or else will snare unintended people.
Things were getting out of hand. A new left needs to form and perhaps a new right after their excesses swing the electorate the other way.
I really liked Jim Webb. He would be a great president. A conservative Democrat. Polarization has wrecked our system. We only have one truly dominant party, neo-cons. Trump spoke otherwise on the campaign trail but seems to be with them.
The real threat to America is already inside, Russia is small potatoes.
Jeff Michka Added Mar 20, 2018 - 6:06pm
"We need to talk Hillary more! "she's an archfiend and traitor" according to WB rightists, and she must be brought up every time Russia news shadows the Orange piece of garbage.  You complain that polarization has wrecked out system," but cannot specify why?  Seem rightists are a tad short on their arguments.
Jeff Michka Added Mar 20, 2018 - 7:35pm
FJr sez: But if a patient is in physical therapy, they might benefit from a short course of Percosets.-That just won't do!! You heard Orange blob say "we have to be TOUGH," so just hurt and see what PT does for you. We must bear the responsibility for all those addict miners and steelworkers.
Jeff Michka Added Mar 20, 2018 - 7:38pm
TexasLynn claims:I even have grave concerns about his character (and yes... it matters).-Perhaps expressing some of that outrage will help us understand why you and other rightist circle wagons and never speak up.
Pardero Added Mar 20, 2018 - 8:11pm
Jeff Michka,
I don't unequivocally defend Trump. Notice that I have alienated purists on the right. Many don't comment or like.
You know what I mean about polarization. The blue dogs all got primaried out. Any R that is not a neo-con gets primaried out. Only one party left. The War Party. The get clobbered by the leadership.
You seem to be a left wing ideologue. You probably cheered when the blue dogs got weeded out. We have lost a lot of civility because the blue dogs are gone.
We could give free health insurance for what one war cost. We could offer the finest treatment and job training for what one intervention cost.
We could help some that want help. We don't do enough.
You have been played by the Russia nonsense. Just as my side got played in the Gulf Wars.

MEFOBILLS Added Mar 23, 2018 - 9:51pm
At the risk for being labeled an anti-semite.... actually I don't care, call me one.
Whenever you have an aloof elite running your country, then expect the population to be treated as animals.
In the upper middle ages of Germany and Italy, the elites were expected to give back their gains.  They did this by sponsoring big Music Festivals and hence you got Mozart in Germany, and DaVanici being Sponsored  in Italy.

Going back to Greek times, the elites were at the front of Army columns.  They gave with their lives and had fealty to other Greeks.

The U.S. has a "grabbing" plutocratic elite running things, and this elite thinks that any sort of monetary gain is good.  These elites privatize their gains and socialize their losses.

The ((Sakler)) family is the main plutocrats behind Opiod Crises.  They got laws changed such that "pain management" became a thing.  Sakler's shtick is that their Opiods are time released.  However, when it became clear that time release was overcome by crushing the pills, Saklers said and did nothing.    You know - as long as the money roles in.
Read this article for more on the Saklers:

This is just one more data point about why Immigration of natural in-groups (who work against society) is dangerous in the extreme.
Pardero Added Mar 24, 2018 - 2:27am
MEFOBILLS,
We are of similar opinions. Some people shut their minds at truth or if they think they detect prejudice.
I think some less emotive words will lead people to discover the truth on their own.
I don't want to sound sneaky but neo-cons and bankers work well for me. Gets the message across to knowledgable people and keeps the blinders from being put on by others.
I am going to see if I can catch someone this late for the solidus experiment.

Recent Articles by Writers Pardero follows.