New Product Idea

Commercial products are the lifeblood of the economy. Who would have predicted much less envisioned the success of bottled water? I would have bet against the success of that product until the product emerged in stores, gas stations, sporting events, and restaurants. The next big potential product is Bottled-Air. Yes, empty plastic bottles filled with air collected from numerous locations will contain scents long forgotten by persons that once visited those sites. Bottled-Air will become a natural companion to Bottled-Water that might have been collected from unknown sources often stemming from tap water readily available in water fountains at bottling plants.  For example, imported wine has a big following nearly everywhere because it’s not made locally but is imported from locations believed to provide better growing conditions, sanitary bottling and aging practices, etc. The mentality, “If it’s not made here then obviously it has to be better,” drives the sales market for numerous imported goods no matter where they are imported from as long as it’s from somewhere else. Bottled-Air will share these attributes and will soon capture the market starting with the deep breather types, lovers yearning for the smell of Paris, and even some persons that love the smell of napalm in the morning as portrayed in the movies. The smell of diesel exhaust might bring back memories to some turnpike drivers. With Bottled-Air at bedside on awakening in the morning, and wondering about what happened in a bar the night before, a sniff of stale beer mixed with cigarette smoke could rekindle thoughts of a happy evening. A variety of Bottled-Air will no doubt emerge on the market manufactured under fraudulent conditions to mimic the smell of roses in springtime by mixing-in cheap perfume purchased at discount prices, boiling salt water to capture the fresh scent of the ocean breeze, or a bottle labeled, “Last Commute” as a reminder of a subway station if one now has a parking space at work.

I will leave product development details to others but any suggestions will be appreciated. Forget the toast, “Cheers,” and get ready for a new product on the shelf at grocery stores or a menu item, “Bottled-Air from the Kitchen.” I am working on a scent for “The Smell of Success.” One dollar bills and five dollar bills smell the same and I have no idea how larger denominations of bills smell but the label, “The Hundreds,” will sell better than “The Ones,” it’s just common sense.

Comments

Charles Frankhauser Added Mar 9, 2018 - 6:46pm
Enter your comment here...
Autumn Cote Added Mar 12, 2018 - 2:02pm
I’m afraid someone has already thought of this: Bottled Oxygen

That being said, like anything in business, there is always a better mouse trap out there.  So just because your idea isn’t first doesn’t mean one can’t find a way to make a fortune selling something someone else has already invented.  One thing to keep in mind before you begin your marketing campaign, oxygen doesn’t have a scent.  It does have a taste.
Charles Frankhauser Added Mar 12, 2018 - 5:25pm
Thanks Autumn, the product from Sporty's appears to be doing well in the market. I learned my lesson the hard way years ago when a neighbor and I thought we had invented a valve attached to a garden hose that fit into the skimmer on swimming pools.  Similar products were on the market and we paid a large of money to try and patent it.  Now I write books because I have the time to write them.  I always wanted to write a screenplay so I researched the skill and wrote one and published it on Amazon & Kindle.  (RC and RUBY Screenplay).  A screenwriter read it and told me it would cost a fortune to produce it. I have great respect for folks that produce feature-films because of the money involved in that endeavor.
Dave Volek Added Mar 13, 2018 - 12:05pm
I think there was a kid's movie where they sold bottled air. The Lorax?

The evil corporations made millions from gullible consumers.
Bill H. Added Mar 13, 2018 - 2:11pm

I suspect the best selling "Designer Air" will be "Breath of Mauna Kea" from the top of Hawaii's tallest mountain, or "Artic Frost" direct from the north pole. For Cannabis fans, we will have "Evening in Seattle".
Charles Frankhauser Added Mar 13, 2018 - 3:01pm
Dave and Bill, The importance of product development research involves "gullible consumers." Instead of just melting down empty plastic bottles to make new cleaner bottles, a used bottle market could be developed based on the collectibility of bottles fashioned into art, trophies, and awards for numerous accomplishments.  A fired employee could be presented with a crunched bottle. Flattened bottles could be sold as flasks at next to nothing costs in comparison to silver flasks used at society gatherings and horse races.  Medical benefits from used bottles might strengthen immune levels similar to receiving a flu shot.
Bill H. Added Mar 13, 2018 - 7:31pm

Charles- you are certainly correct on the medical benefits of used bottles when it comes to strengthening immune levels, but Big Pharma wouldn't allow it to happen. Just as we will most likely never see the a cure for cancer. Of course if a natural cure for cancer was found (as is already most likely the case), the Pharma companies would patent it and sell it under some corny name like "Carcinomia".
"Ask your doctor if Carcinomia is right for you"

Recent Articles by Writers Charles Frankhauser follows.